Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PEAVEY AMP BLOWS VOID V-18 1000 WATT DRIVER

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PEAVEY AMP BLOWS VOID V-18 1000 WATT DRIVER
    Posted: 08 July 2006 at 9:49am
Hi guys...

Problems already.

Help & advice is needed ASAP

I wonder if I could get some reasons why the following has happened.

I was using a 3' high 2' deep speaker box (the one I was calling a scoop on another posting, which i've found out isn't a proper scoop as it has no wood panels inside the chamber) with a Void V-18 1000 Watt driver connected to a Peavey CS1000X Amp.

Took me ages to cut & file the hole slightly bigger so the speaker could fit, also to fit the T-nuts & secure evrything.

Everything was sounding heavy enough for a house party which i'm doing next week, slightly pushed up the low frequency on the graphic, the room & house shaking, swung the parmetric bass to get high bass in, swung it back for the heavy weight again, after about 10secs.... silence.

Speaker finished. Blown up.

I was using a JTS 3-Way Pre - Amp. 

The Peavey CS1000X Amp is 750watt / channel @ 2ohms, so I must have only been using about 300 / 400 watt (I think) across this 8 ohm driver.

The amp volume was only set at about 1/4 of the way.

Do you think it would have happened if the amp was 3/4 or fully up ?

I'm gonna have to recone this damn quick.

Got more V-18s to use but takes too long to swop drivers around.

As i'm still guessing & cussing, could it be because  the amp was too low in wattage or/and volume.

Help & advice is needed ASAP.

Cheers.

Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2006 at 12:55pm
Was the amp clipping? Cos that blows drivers.

It seems very likely your amp was clipping as bass eats amp power and powering a 1000w rms driver with 300w/400w is severally underpowered meaning its easy to clip the amp.

Also pushing the low freq up and the parametic EQ for bass would create too much excersion especially bad in that crappy box. But that would have made an awful distorting and popping noise when it when over excersion though.

Sounds more like the amp was clipping or the amp could be faulty and delivered DC into the speakers.And DC fries speakers easier than anything alse.

Get a different amp for a start. And make those super scooper 18's.

Edited by ToXiC - 08 July 2006 at 12:56pm
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2006 at 9:52pm

Cheers for that info Toxic,

The amp was clipping as there's a yellow LED (DDT) on it which comes on when the amp is been driven hard, but it has never blown any speakers in the 8 years i've had it.

Today 2 Sound system guys also said it could have been the crappy box, & if it was in a proper scoop, it may not have happened, but who knows.

There was no distorting and popping noise though.

When I had the Fane Collosus 400watt 18'' in there I heard popping, but it didn't blow.

I doubt the amp is faulty as we use it all the time, & as I said before, nothing like this has never happened before.

Sometimes we have 2, 3 or 4 bass boxes (8ohm each) connected to half of the amp (750w) & nothing blows.

Tell you what though, i'm on the case for some proper scoops, believe...(2 weeks time they'll be here)

Still can't decide though whether to load them with Voids V-18, PD1850s, B & Cs or RCFs.

Question, I read some where that one of the better amps Peavey made was the old 2K ones & their new GPS Series, do you know, what do you think ?

I have a GPS3400 which hardly gets used. (I may have to start using it to prevent clipping in the future)

Also I see on another thread you mention a couple of amps which are sold @ a good price  "Audiohead AH4000 = 2x 2000w rms in 4 ohms & also a C-Mark MR3000 = 2x 1600w rms into 4 ohms"

What are Peavey like compared to the above 2 amps ?

Anymore you could recommend with a reasonable price.

Cheers mate.

Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2006 at 1:28pm

Yes look for 2nd hand Crest 8001 or 9001 or CA18. They are lovely workhorse amps and built like a tank and excellent for bass. It really depends what your maximum budget for an amp is though as that will give you a shortlist of what you can and can't afford, although sometimes bargains pop up on ebay, loot etc.

As for the driver use Fane Colossus 18XB if you play roots reggae as that is the nicest sounding driver for scoops. If you play more steppers type digital dubs like Iration Steppas then use PD186 loaded scoops.
I also heard someone say PD1850 work in super scooper 18.

I know very little about peavey amps, all I know is most are overrated and put out more power on paper than in reality.

Audiohead AH4000 are apprently hard to get hold of now. But the top of the range C-mark gives 2x 1000w rms into 8 ohms which would drive each  600w AES Fane 18XB nicely.

PD186 is 700w rms so you need at least that 1000w rms into 8 ohm amp to drive them.

Other amps to look out for 2nd hand is: QSC RMX4050HD,QSC PLX3402,Crest 8001,9001, Crest CA18,any JTS[Jah Tubbys] amp above 800w rms into 8 ohms,Crown MA2400[ when bridged would power 2x Fane 18XB nicely].And probably a few others other people can suggest.

Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2006 at 3:52pm
Thanks very much for that.

Cheers.
INNAFORCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote INNAFORCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2006 at 7:39pm
Tekasis build super scoopers for your voids.
Chuck a 1000 + watts rms and enjoy.

Toxic: Rog Mogale desighned the super scooper around the PD1850!
Also Rog himself told me the voids will also sound nice in that cab.
so why steer Tekasis to some other driver,when he in fact owns the right driver.
Life Is Good
Tech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2006 at 9:00am

Clipping could do the job. I know one time my cousin speaker was burning then it blew right before he could turn the volume down. never saw a amp clip light solid until that night.

Al
gingerbiscuit69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2006 at 12:41pm
thats how i blew my old berry B1800x's up ... what a shame forced me to upgrade
 Post Reply Post Reply