Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peavey cs800 or crown xls 2002

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jarba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peavey cs800 or crown xls 2002
    Posted: 11 November 2021 at 11:57am
I’m looking to buy an amp for a single pd186 and was wondering which one I should go for. They would cost the same, seeing as I’d have to buy a minidsp if I go for the peavey. What would you guys choose?
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2021 at 2:23pm
What vintage Peavey are you looking at?
The CS800 will produce 800w sinewaves all week long and the DDT clip limiter is the best one ever created, but these things are big, heavy and old now. The Crown might produce a 900w sinewave.. for a second or so.  But music isn't sinewaves right so out in the real world these two are likely very similar in performance and the Crown has DSP and will be a lot more electrically efficient. 
Jarba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jarba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2021 at 2:31pm
The description just says peavey cs800. I think maybe the crown is better because of portability? It’s almost 15kg lighter. With that being said I may go for the peavy cs800 and a mini dsp, seeing as I could use the dsp in my home theater as well. It’s a tough choice Unhappy
d.antonis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d.antonis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2021 at 8:03pm
Peavey is built like a tank. Back in 1995 a same amp was working all night long with 4 sp2 Peaveys near limits ,without a drop of sweat. Amazing amplifier ,lots of real power and of course heavy.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2021 at 11:25pm
There were at least 5 different CS800 amps produced over the years. The original 70's model was 4U and seemingly made from WW2 tank parts(heavy). In the '80s it was redesigned in a black 3U chassis but was no lighter and neither of these were rated for 2ohm operation. In the '90s the CS800X came along which was also 3U but it was 2ohm stable and produced 1200w@ 4ohms bridged. Near the end of the century the 23lb CS800s brought lighter weight with an SMPS power supply in a 2U chassis and it retained the higher power ratings of the previous model. The CS800H then appeared in the early 2000s, it was 2u, heavier and lower powered than the previous model but had LED bar graph meters. And there was also a CS800x4, but this 4ch model didn't produce as much power per channel as any of the 2ch versions.

Edited by Conanski - 11 November 2021 at 11:28pm
Jarba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jarba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2021 at 1:05pm
I went with the peavey :) sounds amazing so far
 Post Reply Post Reply