Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peavy Hisys XT crossover help.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peavy Hisys XT crossover help.
    Posted: 14 August 2019 at 11:26am
This is a long shot but I’m trying to do a favour for a pal and repair his old Peavey crossover. 
I need to find the spec for this Thermistor. 

My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 11:48am
does he have a second one the same?
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 11:54am
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

does he have a second one the same?

Urrgh!...Face+Palm...I didn't think of that!
It's a 40min drive away and I was there yesterday. Disapprove
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 12:34pm
he could take a photo of it.. it probably says something on it..
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 2:15pm
Perhaps more likey to be a Polyfuse rather than a thermistor? A thermistor that small wouldn't really have a place in a high powered crossover circuit, whereas a 1 amp Polyfuse is about that size and would offer useful protection to the HF driver, if it's in series?
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Perhaps more likey to be a Polyfuse rather than a thermistor? A thermistor that small wouldn't really have a place in a high powered crossover circuit, whereas a 1 amp Polyfuse is about that size and would offer useful protection to the HF driver, if it's in series?

Yeah you're right I don't think it's Thermistor now either.
I was wondering if it's a Ceramic Capacitor.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 2:28pm
Again, at that size, it could only be a few hundred pF at most - so not gonna be doing much filtering in a low-impedance circuit....
I also see what looks like a dry joint at the bottom centre of the board (dark ring all the way around the component leg)
If you can sketch out a schematic, and the mystery component is indeed in series with the HF and in parallel with that light bulb, then it's a classic Polyfuse protection circuit. When the Pfuse opens, all the current has to flow through the bulb, which will drop the excess power, and then blow itself if you're really silly or your amp is oscillating. In which case, I would try replacing with a 500mA Pfuse and see if that works.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
tomr_29 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomr_29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 5:59pm
Yeah this is a polyfuse. I’ve replaced a few on a number of Peavey Hisys crossovers. Typically have used a 250mA and actually still have a few left. The part number on the pack is 647-8443 (RS components part number). 
Proper capitalisation is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
www.facebook.com/tremoracoustics
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by tomr_29 tomr_29 wrote:

Yeah this is a polyfuse. I’ve replaced a few on a number of Peavey Hisys crossovers. Typically have used a 250mA and actually still have a few left. The part number on the pack is 647-8443 (RS components part number). 

Legend! Thanks a million! 
Five & View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Five & Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2021 at 11:48am

Polyswitch For Peavey Soundguard HF Protection Circuit

Part # Rxe030 (X030)

Let The Music Play
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2021 at 8:10pm
I thought it was RXE035 but poster that says RXE030 may be right. I always thought the value was too low. It must latch and send the power to the bulb as soon as You crank it up. 030 will trip/latch at .60 amps. Any other ideas?? 
 Post Reply Post Reply