Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pick of the Crest amplifiers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Bohannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pick of the Crest amplifiers?
    Posted: 02 November 2022 at 7:08pm
A question for the collective experience of the panel, which is the pick of the pick of the Crest amplifiers?

I’ve never had one and fancy an addition to the collection, I would ideally be after the best built, best sounding model of course... :D

It doesn’t need to be massively powerful, but I would be grateful to hear any experiences of these amps.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 7:33pm
001 series, 6001, 7001, 8001 and 9001. The FA series was also very nice. CA’s were OK, but the 001’s were the ones really. 

All very old now though!
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Randy Bohannon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Bohannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 8:31pm
Thanks CSG, old is no problem!

I collect vintage home gear, something from the 90s is actually quite modern for me! :D
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2022 at 1:33am
The Crest 5000 and 4000 (pre-dates the 001 Series) were popular in the late 1970's - early 1980's. They were designed more robust than the 001 series from a power supply standpoint. From a reliability perspective, Crest Amplifiers (pre-dating Peavey ownership) were prone to lots of failures. Possibly things were different in Europe. Do keep that in perspective upon buying old Crest Amplifiers.

Best Regards,  
Elliot Thompson
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2022 at 6:31am
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

The Crest 5000 and 4000 (pre-dates the 001 Series) were popular in the late 1970's - early 1980's. They were designed more robust than the 001 series from a power supply standpoint. From a reliability perspective, Crest Amplifiers (pre-dating Peavey ownership) were prone to lots of failures. Possibly things were different in Europe. Do keep that in perspective upon buying old Crest Amplifiers.

Best Regards,  

The 4/5000 series are very rare. I've only ever seen one of those over here. The 001 series a lot more common - and in my experience very reliable and lovely sounding amps.

The CPX range I really don't like. I've had more of those in for repair than any other Crest.   Ouch

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2022 at 10:08am
the only crest I would recommend are the CA series. Everything else forget it.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2022 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

the only crest I would recommend are the CA series. Everything else forget it.

Ok - you don't like the 001 series? I have several 8001 & 7001's and really love 'em. You just need to make sure to give them a good cleaning after every season. The close packing inside definitely doesn't like any dust build up.   Ouch

And they've saved my skin on many occasions - like running off dodgy generators without any problem, when other amps, eg. QSC Powerlight, or even LG has failed. Or surviving (accidentally) being fed 380V. Not too many amps would survive that one.  Shocked

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2022 at 5:28pm
No I dont like the tightly packed design and the dubious clearance between the current carrying conductors and the casing. One blob of smoke-fluid soaked dust in the wrong place and it's breathing fire...and keeps on until something gives.

I have an old 9001 here that did that and got so hot it melted the aluminium heat spreaders and the screws holding the transistors welded in.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2022 at 11:23pm
I used to own quite a few of the x001 series, mainly the smaller ones.  I did own a 9001 briefly but it was far too heavy and the inrush current made it impractical for most of teh jobs I was doing.  I really liked my 4801's.  With both the 001 and CA series I generally found that when they did fail, it wasn't too spectacular and fairly straightforward to repair.  I even ran a pair of 4801's on my bi-amp hi-fi for quite a while.  Ended up changing them because the wife complained about the draught coming out the front.  Had a 4ch QSC CX404 on there since.

In terms of best sounding for HiFi, I would go with the 4601 if you can find one, they're a bit more rare.  They're straight Class AB rather than Class H.

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2022 at 6:29am
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

No I dont like the tightly packed design and the dubious clearance between the current carrying conductors and the casing. One blob of smoke-fluid soaked dust in the wrong place and it's breathing fire...and keeps on until something gives.

I have an old 9001 here that did that and got so hot it melted the aluminium heat spreaders and the screws holding the transistors welded in.

Yes, you do have to keep them clean - but when they work, they work!!  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2022 at 1:21am
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Best Regards,  

The 4/5000 series are very rare. I've only ever seen one of those over here. The 001 series a lot more common - and in my experience very reliable and lovely sounding amps.

The CPX range I really don't like. I've had more of those in for repair than any other Crest.   Ouch

I bought the 5000 20 years ago. Four rack space, 85 pounds dual power supply. Designed in 1984. Followed the bouncing LED lights method like Crown SA2

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 05 November 2022 at 1:26am
Elliot Thompson
Andylaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andylaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2022 at 1:42am
I got a good deal on a pair of 9001s back in the early 2000s.
I remember struggling unloading them from the car into the house when I got home and just thought this and promptly sold them to a friend. I did hear them in use later with a string of EAW subs on them and was mighty impressed, but far too impractical for most mobile gigs.
"music so loud, that if we move in next door to you; your lawn will die" - Lemmy
 Post Reply Post Reply