Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - PKN | Crown | Powersoft | LabGruppen Service cost
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PKN | Crown | Powersoft | LabGruppen Service cost

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PKN | Crown | Powersoft | LabGruppen Service cost
    Posted: 19 November 2019 at 1:09pm
I am curious, How was to repair your PKN amplifiers compared to others?

from our experience the average service cost of any XE-XD-LC amps made by PKN, after the warranty period were bellow 10000FT ( 30EUR or 25 GBP :-)
Include those filled with beer and whiskey-cola, etc..
Service times are always bellow five working days! But I am in Hungary of course.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 1:52pm
PKN: £300 in shipping, export fees, import fees, and over two months to repair three thermistors. They didn't even cover it under warranty, and tried to charge for the repair too.

Edited by toastyghost - 19 November 2019 at 1:52pm
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

PKN: £300 in shipping, export fees, import fees, and over two months to repair three thermistors. They didn't even cover it under warranty, and tried to charge for the repair too.

Probably you have missed something. No known PKN amplifiers have "thermistors" inside..
However Powersoft K10, K20 has NTC thermistors in their power supply for soft-starting (and dying frequently due large damped energies)

Also there is NO export fees between England < > Hungary, until England is in the EU.

Edited by U.Viktor - 19 November 2019 at 1:57pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Probably you have missed something. No known PKN amplifiers have "thermistors" inside..
However Powersoft K10, K20 has NTC thermistors in their power supply for soft-starting (and dying frequently due large damped energies)

Also there is NO export fees between England < > Hungary, until England is in the EU.

Hungary wasn't in the EU at the time.

And excuse the typo, the thermal sensor, that put the amps immediately into thermal limit on power up, rendering them useless. Normally, I'd call the distributor for spare stock to cover, or cross rent, but oh wait...

Edited by toastyghost - 19 November 2019 at 8:23pm
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2019 at 11:12am
PKN is making 1RU switching amplifiers since the year of 2000.
I know them in person since 2001.
Hungary joined in the EU in April 12 of 2003.
They went to the international market in 2006.

Edited by U.Viktor - 20 November 2019 at 11:12am
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2019 at 11:23am
Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

PKN is making 1RU switching amplifiers since the year of 2000.
I know them in person since 2001.
Hungary joined in the EU in April 12 of 2003.
They went to the international market in 2006.

the referndum was held in 2003. Hungary actually aceded to the EU on 1st May 2004, and that's when import/export tariffs would have been removed.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2019 at 1:19pm
Viktor, this advertising is getting a little embarrassing. Maybe time to wind it in a little.
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2019 at 1:36pm
What If I just dig out the dirt what they want to hide!
How was your experience with service?

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2019 at 1:43pm
The best ever service I´ve ever had was with K-Array from Italy. Very quick, efficient and reasonable. 5-star service!  Clap Smile Clap

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Aman Gebru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aman Gebru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2019 at 3:09pm
The best service I ever got was in a Shanghai hotel room in 2003, when the in room phone rang at 11pm. I said hello who is this. She said, hello Mr, I offer massage and my name is Miss tickly lips.

Not even Peter Pap was that good...
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2019 at 8:13am
out of 8 pkn amps I had, 2 had minor problems - one stayed in AGC when powered on 50% of the time, then went off if you rebooted it, the other had a faulty encoder, the switch had failed. even though they weren't originally bought by me, andy took them back for me and sent them off to PKN for repair. didn't cost me anything and took about 2 weeks. I also bought a known "temp sensor" faulty amp, but had a local guy repair that.
i was happy with them overall, but that was as a hobbyist and I didn't care if they were gone for months.
if PKN want to sell more amps they should set up an agreement with someone in this country who can provide the service. have them sign an NDA and send them the schematics. job done. they'd save a massive amount on shipping as well.

but they're still lacking on DSP.

PKN do provide whitepapers on their designs, for instance:
they also provide high res photos of the innards of the amps. 
so why so cagey on the service aspect?

Cheekybox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheekybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2020 at 4:25pm
Ive just had a PKN fail on me, and it's only been used 3 times!
Really disappointing. I suppose at the price we paid it was too good to be true. It is now on its way back to be fixed as it is still within warranty, but we'll be getting rid to replace with something more reliable. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>