Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PKN LC4004

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PKN LC4004
    Posted: 14 April 2011 at 10:09am
Hi guys,

I'm planning some more changes in my amp racks for the coming months and really like the idea of compacting some of the 2-channel amps that I currently have on hf/mid/monitor duty down into 4-channel 1u units.

The PKN LC4004 in particular has caught my eye. I'm already switching out some heavyweight bass amps (inf8's) for PKN XE series so matching PKN racks would be nice.

Has anyone used the LC4004? How does it compare to their 2-channel amps? Obviously I'm not likely to be pushing it hard so raw power performance isn't a key issue for me. It would be nice to know how it handles large demand across all 4 channels though, is the power supply/storage up to the challenge?

What's the situation with the "built in limiter"?

It looks quite flexible in terms of configuration too, allowing me to bridge 2 channels and end up with a 3-channel amp that would be really handy for 3-way tops.

How is all this configured? I don't see any Ethernet port or external switches so I assume all configuration is done internally via. dip switches/jumpers?

I'm not interested in hearing about alternatives. Please only comment on the LC4004 with your thoughts or actual experiences.

(If anyone has a USED one for sale, please PM me with a price)

Cheers,
John

Edited by jbinks - 14 April 2011 at 10:53am
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2011 at 12:16pm
Not as strong like XD6000, personally I d put only 'economy applications' however there is no similar four channel compact amp on the market for that money..
jbinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2011 at 1:38pm
Does anyone else have any feedback on these?
jbinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2011 at 11:51am
Also, if any dealers are reading this and have a unit available for demo, either at your site or for me to take away and try myself, please let me know. I'm potentially interested in two of these.
Marvin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2011 at 8:01pm
i am based in east london and you are welcome to bring a cab/ processing etc and have a play at my unit
Spartan Audio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartan Audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 2:33am
Anyone got any further feedback on this model? Had a few early ones on demo that didn't fair too well.
http://www.spartanaudio.co.uk
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 9:30am
For comparasion the PKN LC beats scrappy Powersoft D series or DIGIMOD modules in sound quality but for serious applications 1000W(4R) per channel is barely enough for anything.
Maybe good for garden party but not much.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 8:36pm
As above, they don't have any headroom, 1kW@4R is really all you get.  However if that's enough for what you're doing then otherwise they're not bad at all.  Probably slightly more background noise than the XD series but not horrific.

Again, as has already been said, you'd be hard pushed to find anything else in the same price/size bracket.

Recommend you give one a try before committing to check whether they do what you want.
AdiRCF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdiRCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 9:47pm
Anyone tried this model on monitors with live bands ?
Sughi Bughi
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartan Audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 10:51pm
I've tried a few before but they were early models with issues.

They were great on monitors and can concur regarding the self noise. I was considering using them for mid and hi work only and possibly monitoring if I could get a few more positive reviews...

y2stevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote y2stevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2013 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Spartan Audio Spartan Audio wrote:

I've tried a few before but they were early models with issues.

They were great on monitors and can concur regarding the self noise. I was considering using them for mid and hi work only and possibly monitoring if I could get a few more positive reviews...

Any more on these amps for Live band monitor duty?
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartan Audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2013 at 11:27pm
I'd love to know how they fair in this role too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>