Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PKN LC4004

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbinks-v2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 10:58am
Hey guys

I wanted to dig this topic up again as I'm still considering these for mid-tops and small applications.

So, has anyone had any experiences with these (apart from those who have already shared obviously)?

My intended applications:

FOH mid-tops:
12" 300w 8ohm
2" 80w? 8ohm

Void Basys B12-V2 (either as tops on small systems or as mons). These run "one way", with internal passive crossover.
300w 8ohm

So as the common factor is 300w 8ohm and I would need to be able to double-up to 600w 4ohm, then the 1000w 4 ohm seems perfect to me. Especially as the other channel will be on comps so pretty much zero drain on the power supply.

The specs add up fine. I guess my query is more linked to reliability and quality. I know PKN X-series amps are fantastic on bass, but clarity of sound is much more important for mids and HF. I currently use Void X5's for this (loads of headroom), but would like to reduce size and swap to matching amps.

Finally, I am considering buying more XE-4000's to run these instead. Has anyone compared the sound between the X-series and LC -series?

Cheers,
John

shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 11:40am
Gotta say 1Kw @ 4r is a LOT of mid/hi, unless your boxes are from the ark with no sensitivity whatsoever I would say 4ch of 1kW FK1, Turbo, EAW (even) would have your teeth out....

Smile
Spartan Audio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartan Audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 12:05pm
We run basys with XE series amps and they sound 'different' than when run from any other amplifier. We use them above their intended use with XE series amplifiers when crossed over to subs (b15 usually). Don't ask me why it's this way as the PKN are class D... 
http://www.spartanaudio.co.uk
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 12:48pm
The LC series is the lower budget end of the PKN range.  They're not bad, but the XD/XE series are definitely better.

As above, I find the PKN's sound slightly different to other amps but not necessarily in a bad way.  In the AB testing I've done, I could hear a difference but couldn't decide which I preferred.

The only thing I'd be potentially concerned about is using the LC series on biamp compression drivers as they are slightly noiser than the X range. However at the time I tried them, there was an update to the amps due soon which was supposed to improve it, so might not be an issue.  You probably just need to have a listen.

Have a chat with Andy at Bluearan just up the road, I think he's expecting some PKN stock in soon and should be able to let you hear them.

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2014 at 3:54pm
bumping this one again...

anyone any more recent experiences with these? i'd consider them for bi amped mid high if there was more (positive) feedback on them.

have never seen blue aran sell this range..
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2014 at 6:35pm
I think they were discontinued.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2014 at 7:29pm
have a look at SAE for four channel amps
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2014 at 9:13pm
The PKN LC4004 is a very nicely sounding amplifier, it has very accurate and clear high and mids section.
I would say the sound of LC is a kind of "high-end" among the other switching amplifiers, it is pretty transparent and you feel every small movements of the original music source equipment.
Good damping on lower frequencies (similar or better with Powersoft K series..) on low or middle power level.
But it is not for sub or low frequency amplification.
I do not think that SAE would be nowhere near in quality.. At least what I saw from them :-)
The "newer" LCs has actually lower noise that XE amps anyways however the LC is low power for us therefore we prefer more powerful XE or XD instead of them.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 1:49pm
LC4004u is still on the PKN website but other people say discontinued. anyone know if they are still in production?
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 2:03pm
I bought a LC4004U  just week ago, I am sure that they are in production.
The LC10004U is what they can not produce now, but this can change at any moment.
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 2:04pm
LC4004:   discontinued
LC4004U:  in full production
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 3:23pm
Whats this amp like on kick. How would it compare to 2x pl236? 

Also would it be much of an upgrade from a plx1602 and 2402 on mid highs. 

Condensing 8u down to 2u is pretty appealing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12