Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PKN Limiter Settings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PKN Limiter Settings
    Posted: 22 November 2016 at 4:50pm
Hello,

I've acquired new amps for my rig and would like some help setting up limiters.

Amps/cabs are as follows:

2 x PKN XE-6000 (3650@4ohm, 1.7Vrms sensitivity)
1 x PKN XE-2500 (1300@4ohm, 1.4Vrms sensitivity)

2 x Void Stasys 218 (2400w)
2 x Void Stasys Phil (1600w, 100w)

LMS is Ultradrive.

Skipping the LMS for a second, I've come up with the following figures:

STASYS 218:

STASYS PHIL LF:

STASYS PHIL HF:

Do the "Max Voltage" figures look good and should those be the ones I plumb into the PKNs for limiting?
Can anyone help with limiter settings to use within the Ultradrive? Input will be digital straight from DJM900nxs.

Cheers!

Edited by freddymendez - 24 November 2016 at 12:14pm
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2016 at 11:08am
anyone?
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2016 at 12:10pm
message U Victor on here, he seems to know everything about PKN, I'm sure he would help you out. 
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2016 at 12:14pm
LOL

i edited the topic title :)
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2016 at 12:19pm
that will do it Smile
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2016 at 12:20pm
though if that fails change it again to inuke 6000, he will be here in minutes Smile

Edited by concept-10 - 24 November 2016 at 12:22pm
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2016 at 12:28pm
to be fair i have read a lot about PKN and seen UViktor all over those posts, I think a lot of what he says may appear to be bashing but is likely due to translation.

i have an interest in PFC since mainly I will run from generators and want to squeeze as much power from them as possible. it's no secret that those Inukes, sae, non PFC style amps can suck up big current whilst only being able to make use of a small portion of it. that's what i'd like to avoid.

i've heard various SAE myself, I've spoken to the authorised warranty repairer in the UK, and if i;m quite honest if they had PFC then i'd have a rack of them :)
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2016 at 2:09pm
I'd just use the limiters on your DSP frankly, the amp limiter shrinks the actual output no? Headroom is what you want.
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2016 at 4:51pm
Yes voltage is correct but its rms voltage, i think the pkn lmiters are set at peak voltage so x by 1.414 to get peak voltage.

I think some of the the new SAEs are power factor corrected, not the 4 channels though.    
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2016 at 5:24pm
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2016 at 8:05pm
Personally, I wouldnt bother setting the limiter on the PKN's for the subs. 

Power rating on those is 2400W AES/RMS

Program power would be 4800W, and I find the program power a more relevant figure for setting amp limiters. This does depend on the crest factor of the material you are playing of course, but for 'typical' music, you will want all 3650W the PKN can deliver.

I use the XD6000 to run a 2x18" sub, loaded with a pair of 18TBX100s, which would also be 2400W - I run the XD6000 at full steam, and just use the limiter on the DSP to keep the amps out of peak.

Dont forget also that PKN use the 8:32 EIAJ power rating (same as most other people) - which although a 'real' power rating it tends to give a higher short term power output figure than from an equivalent 'old school' amplifier. This means it's great for handling dynamics with peaks of 3650W handled effortlessly and cleanly, but you wont get 3650W continuously.

Edited by Andy Kos - 24 November 2016 at 8:19pm
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2016 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Andy Kos Andy Kos wrote:

Personally, I wouldnt bother setting the limiter on the PKN's for the subs. 

Power rating on those is 2400W AES/RMS

Program power would be 4800W, and I find the program power a more relevant figure for setting amp limiters. This does depend on the crest factor of the material you are playing of course, but for 'typical' music, you will want all 3650W the PKN can deliver.

I use the XD6000 to run a 2x18" sub, loaded with a pair of 18TBX100s, which would also be 2400W - I run the XD6000 at full steam, and just use the limiter on the DSP to keep the amps out of peak.

Dont forget also that PKN use the 8:32 EIAJ power rating (same as most other people) - which although a 'real' power rating it tends to give a higher short term power output figure than from an equivalent 'old school' amplifier. This means it's great for handling dynamics with peaks of 3650W handled effortlessly and cleanly, but you wont get 3650W continuously.

Thanks, I'll keep the limiter off for the 218s,
And I'll use Timebombs suggestion to set limiters for the Phils LF & HF.

Previous bass amp was infinite 8 which although good will also suffer from poor power factor (and thus can only use a smaller amount of the already limited power that is available) - I was aware that the 3650w rating would not be continuous, so I used Lewis' calculation from amp meet three: http://www.abeltronics.co.uk/amptesting/amp-meet-three.php

Which should mean that continuous output (2700w as per that test) should be over and above that of the inf 8?

Thanks for help
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>