Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PKN XE 10000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2018 at 9:05am
i hope the picture stays up, i think it shows the internals of one of the best pieces of industrial design that i have seen in a long time, and real world testing and usage under arduous conditions backs that up. 

In-fact next time i have one of my X8's open for cleaning ill take some nice pictures of that for you too...

To be fair, if PKN could add a good DSP platform, along with digital signal routing options they would probably have a very good and useful amplifier platform, but in this day and age not to have these features is a serious weakness in the touring market, and as such market penetration will remain very limited, despite how many joules storage, or how good an arc welder they are...
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2018 at 11:41am
Quote by CSG.  To be fair, if PKN could add a good DSP platform, along with digital signal routing options they would probably have a very good and useful amplifier platform, but in this day and age not to have these features is a serious weakness in the touring market, and as such market penetration will remain very limited, despite how many joules storage, or how good an arc welder they are...

100% THIS
RONAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2018 at 5:22pm
This is a terrible forum for lads answering questions they were not even asked... I believe the point of this thread was to ask an opinion regarding the PKN xe10000 ? . We all know Powersoft make good amps, so too do Labgrupen & Linea  research etc.  etc.. They are all pretty good depending on your application needs and budget.. Regarding built in dsp and digital inputs , lots don't need or like using them..Is there a point in buying something you don't need ?
        Maybe this user intends using an external xta type dsp.. (one that doesn't  need a laptop to adjust or change presets).. What if this amp is to be used for simple pub /club type gigs and doesn't  need a digital input.
       I would suggest if you contact "Blue aron"  they would set up an ab test with other similar amps and hear for yourself.. My experience has been great with the xe10000 as we mostly drive 2 x18" per side, however I have also driven 3 per side 2.6 ohms no issues and lots of headroom.
EVENT SOUND RON.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2018 at 6:09pm
off course - there is nothing wrong in using an external DSP if that is your preference, and likewise there is nothing wrong at all in using analogue signal distribution, but at this price point ( 3950EUR is right up there with all the other top tier options) it does seem feature poor and it will restrict the take-up of PKN for a lot of users. but no bother either way, its a free country and all that.

I would be very surprised if blue aran would be willing to set up an AB against amplifiers of similar calibre if they don't already own them. And whilst we are at it, thats another issue against the take-up of PKN, the lack of proper trade distribution, larger companies are not going to purchase their stock through a retailer, and they are not going to want to purchase their stock direct from a factory the other side of Europe, without local warranty / repair / tech support being available.

It may interest you to know that i had a few racks full of PKN's quite a few years ago, and found them to be excellent amplifiers so have absolutely nothing against them...
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2018 at 8:52pm
Same reason Matrix amps don’t make sense in the pro audio world from a business point of view, their distribution model.
Nothing wrong with the amps.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2018 at 9:54pm
£3950 inc VAT is K20 money, possibly with DSP if you’re lucky. So yes it’s a fair comparison.
RONAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2018 at 11:47pm
No your way off there on price, the xe10000 offers good value (in my opinion).. The last Manufacturers suggested retail price  (Msrp) was €2600 ex vat. that's quiet a long way from £3950 stl..  So are we all sure we are looking at the same amp model ?

Edited by RONAN - 25 August 2018 at 11:47pm
EVENT SOUND RON.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2018 at 12:22am
The XE10000 (not 'U') model is currently on Blue Aran's website for £2k ex VAT retail price.  If you are a genuine trade user there is a good chance you'd be paying less than that.  Doesn't look that unreasonable to me.
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2018 at 7:34am
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

The XE10000 (not 'U') model is currently on Blue Aran's website for £2k ex VAT retail price.  If you are a genuine trade user there is a good chance you'd be paying less than that.  Doesn't look that unreasonable to me.

Exactly why I’m looking at investing in a few. The other PKNs are very reliable, we will be using this weekend again at carnival as we have for many a year now. My issue is not the lack of features ie inbuilt DSP but if it can perform rated specs (or as close as) and how it sounds. 
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2018 at 1:57pm
I already have LAKE processing in the racks, We do not want to replace that. I do not want to processing separately each channels neither, things are more simpler ( ~ sounds better) with LESS invasive processing!
XE10000 compared to the 6000 models gives lot more headroom and more tight control of the speakers yet the sound quality is bit warmer, as far as we have experienced.

It definitely goes lot deeper in low frequencies than the 6000, feels already on low power. But I do not know why, maybe the higher rails?

Be careful with settings of limiters and gain, the XE10000 has the potential to kill speakers pretty fast, much faster than 6000... Even sometimes you do not feel that the woofer would be running way over-driven due limiters.

Edited by U.Viktor - 26 August 2018 at 1:59pm
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2019 at 1:05pm
So I've taken the plunge and purchased a XE10000 from BluAran.  If anyone fancies setting up a good old fashion amp shoot out let me know. 
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2019 at 4:25pm
Yeah, I'm up for that. Amps I have around:

- Crown MA12000i, MA5002VZ
- Powersoft T604, T602, T304
- Various Behringer

Let me know where and when.

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>