Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PKN XE6000 AMP?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2015 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Shaun Shaun wrote:

I have 3 PKN XE6000, for me pefect, have not used any other amps so cant compare, but have never run out of head room

i also use XE2500 for HF duties on my 3 way tops and for stage monitors, only minus is i have an XE4000 which has a problem with an internal temp sensor, have contacted PKN to see i can re-calibrate this my self or if i need to send it back

Had to sort 3x XE6000 with the same issue a while back, amps had to go to Hungary and the entire repair process took over three months. At our expense.
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2015 at 11:54pm
If the temp sensor is jumping around suggesting its hot when its not, this is an easy fix that can be done in the UK.

There is 1uf surface mount capacitor on the circuit board right next to a hole in the circuit board where the wires go to the temp sensor. Slight stresses on the board can cause the capacitor to fracture. 

We replaced them with a small tantalum bead capacitor (instead of surface mount) and they work fine.

It take about 30 seconds to replace the capacitor, and about 30-40 mins to disassemble and reasssemble the amp as there are so many damn screws.
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2015 at 12:21am
That seems to be a very common failure. I had 3 or 4 amps with the same problem.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2015 at 12:23am
is that the only common failure?
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2015 at 12:24am
i had 6 with the same issue.

good amps with out a doubt, but in this day and age the lack of on board dsp / digital inputs makes it very old fashioned.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2015 at 12:36am
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

is that the only common failure?

I'm aware of two 'common' issues.

1. The 1uF capacitor on the temp sensor circuit. Fails due to mechanical stress on PCB. I'm told this has been/will be resolved on all future amplifiers as they are aware of the problem.

2. Soft start resistors. Not sure if this was a batch issue, but we had a number of amplifiers with failed soft start resistors. Replace with recommended alternative and problem solved.

Apart from the above 2 issues, which are in reality very simple fixes,  and can be done by anyone with reasonable soldering skills, I can only recall one faulty PKN amplifier which has had to go back to Hungary for repair - I believe it may have been a faulty user nore than a faulty amplifier though.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2015 at 1:03am
I have one that is possessed. Developed all sort of problems. PSU blow up as last issue.
All the rest are fine beside some that had that temperature sensor capacitor replaced.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2015 at 2:09am
are these temp etc faults on xe or xd or both?

i had 2 xd2500 separately fail for the same reason a few years ago.. symptom was the amp appeared dead, nothing happened on power on. irish supplier at the time (sol) was super helpful and got them dealt with quickly. the explanation i was given was some smt caps broken due to physical stress on the board..

haven't had an issue since then (5 years maybe?) and have used the amps many many times since.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2015 at 2:29pm
Yeah both have the same problem.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2015 at 2:42pm
Ive seen amps with much, much worse problems happening much, much more often. All in all, the issues I have experienced with PKN are very minor, and although irritating, they are not that serious.

The temp sensor capacitor they are aware of, so Im sure this will get engineered out if it hasnt already been.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2015 at 2:46pm
I reported it to them around 3 years back, that's quite a long time to fix such a minor issue.

No UK distribution either at the time and they wouldn't even entertain us doing the fix ourselves.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2015 at 3:13pm
They are great amps. i can not complain a single bit. But their support is not so great.
They are not willing to send me the schematics for the PSU. 
They dont understand that customers very often dont want to send the amp 1500km away to be serviced and wait 3 months to get it back.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>