Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

plans for 15" driver and 1" compression wanted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: plans for 15" driver and 1" compression wanted
    Posted: 14 July 2022 at 2:04pm
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2022 at 6:13pm
If you are going for a cheaper HF driver, I would look at something like the BMS 4550.
It can be crossed significantly lower and can definately keep up with any 15" driver. 

If you want the best performance, a stock crossover from any brand is not the way to go.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2022 at 6:37pm
The specs for the 15 already gives a recommended volume range for a cabinet. You then need to decide how low a cutoff you want, i.e. are you going to have a sub underneath. That will set the tuning. There are a few programs out there that will help you design a cabinet, eg. WinISD. Search & you will find!   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2022 at 8:41pm
if you cross a 15" at 2kHz you are going to get a lot of vocal beaming.
DJ5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2022 at 8:53am
Hi guys

thanks for the replies, I'm just looking for a cabinet design that will house these drivers, (plans) if that's possible 

thanks again 
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2022 at 9:41pm
Eighteen sound has a mid top cab plan for the 15W700
Lots of good info in the PDF.
But the recommended horn is a XT1464 1.4" which the PDF refers to as a 1"? so not right for the DE250. & crossover frequency is recommended as 1.5Khz.

If you want any half decent results from your build I recommend you take note of the information in the PDF, as others have already commented, your choices may not be the best options.

Edited by Xoc1 - 15 July 2022 at 9:44pm
DJ5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2022 at 2:06pm
Hi

So a 1.5khz cross over would be better/suitable for my drivers, i will have to double check the compression driver to make sure ive got the correct ones 
DJ5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2022 at 3:57pm
Hi 

I doubled checked my Compression its a BMS 4538 NOT The B& C 

Would this be ok with the 15mb700
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2022 at 8:20pm
Do you already have it? 1,9kHz won't be optimal as explained in earlier posts.

DJ5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2022 at 9:21pm
hi,

yes I already have the the bms compression and 15mb700 and beyma cross over 
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2022 at 10:39pm
The higher the crossover frequency the more midrange beaming from the 15" driver.
The Plans I linked to use a 1.4" HF horn. If you use your 1" driver you would have to choose a different horn & adjust the plans accordingly.
The Beyma crossover is reasonably flexible in its configuration but is set to 2 Khz and may not be suitable for your bass driver as the impedance at 2khz is unlikely to be 8 Ohms. (looks more like 15 ohms in the impedance graph). You would need to measure & check its response with the crossover connected and then concider what to adjust to make it work if it is unsuitable This might need a zobel network to keep the bass impedance to the nominal 8 ohms at the crossover frequency.
The HF attenuation offered by the Beyma crossover might be enough to tame the BMS HF dependent on the Horn but If the LF is 103 db and the HF 113 db at the crossover frequency and the max attenuation offered is 7.5 dB it might be a bit imbalanced.

DJ5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2022 at 11:52pm
what if I get new cross overs, the following ones

would these then run my 15mb700 and bms compression? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>