Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plans for Cerwin Vega B36

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 6:09am
[view all]

Maybe you should tell C-V that they don't know how big the Junior Earthquake really is?

Cerwin-Vega - JE-36B Junior Earthquake 18" Subwoofer (Gray Carpet)

The new model JE -36B is one of three, new Cerwin-Vega 18" folded horn bass cabinets. It succeeds the LR-36B and features several unique design improvements over the previous model, including a new enclosure design to optimize the horn characteristics; a newly designed 18” woofer with new voice coil technology for sustained power handling and performance and a universal pole mount, which makes the JE-36B an ideal companion for the V-152MKII full range. The JE-36B is an affordable bass cabinet perfectly suited for live sound, Mobile DJ and club applications.

Features:

• 18" portable Earthquake folded horn
  • Perfect for PA/playback/clubs
  • 106 dB sensitivity @ 1 watt/1 meter
  • Use with any of CV'S full range systems to optimize extended bass response
  • Universal pole mount on top

Specifications:

• Frequency Response: 35 Hz - 300 Hz
  • Peak Power Handling: 1000 watts
  • Program Power Handling: 500 watts
  • Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
  • Sensitivity (1w/1m): 106 dB
  • Connections: 1/4"Phone, Neutrik Speakon™
  • 18" Woofer with 3" Voice Coil
  • Durable Multi-Ply Construction
  • High Quality Carpet for Durability
  • Dimensions (HxWxD): 36 " x 24 " x 24 "
  • Weight: 142 lbs.

Edited by _djk_ - 21 October 2005 at 6:16am
djk
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 6:27am

The early Earthquake units used the 189 class woofer, many varients exist, JE, ES, SC, etc ( wonder what the JE stands for?).

BGW models had no problems with these 4 ohm woofers, but Phase Linear models did. They made a special 6 ohm 189 just for this application.

The adjustable spider units (Stroker) are newer.

http://www.cerwinvega.com/service/componentrebuilding.html

"Sensurround, developed by MCA for the release of "Earthquake" in 1974, underwent several modifications with every release. The general idea, however, stayed the same: low-frequency noises and rumbles, played at high-volumes through specially designed speakers, support the normal soundtrack of a movie.
In the original setup, used for "Earthquake", a digital pseudo-random noise generator delivered low-frequency noises and rumbles that fit the waveform of the earthquake in Sylmar in 1972. These rumbles were played at 110dB to 120dB and ranged from 16Hz to 120Hz. The low end of the frequency range was limited to 16Hz because lower frequencies would damage buildings by structural resonance. (However, some theaters were still damaged.)
Two control tones, one of 25Hz and one of 35Hz, which were recorded on the print steered the noise generator. For the 1974 setup the mixing of the standard audio program into the Sensurround-speakers was triggered by 1 tone. The other one made the noise generator produce the rumbles. Variation in volume of the control tones changed the level of signals sent to the Sensurround-speakers. There's a 60dB volume increase in the main speakers when both control tones are present at the same time.
Several different versions of the prints were available: mono optical, 4-channel magoptical and, in Europe, 70mm 6-track. With mono optical the control tones were mixed into the main program. The magnetic tracks of 4-channel magoptical provide the main stereo and the optical track contained only the control tones. With the 70mm 6-track versions the control tones were recorded on the Center Left and Center Right tracks. As the Sensurround-system provided the surround-like effects the surround speakers of magnetic installations were disconnected.
In 197? for the release of "Midway" a extensively changed system was presented: Sensurround Mod II. The biggest change was that the low-frequency sounds were recorded on the print instead of produced by the external noise generator. The control tones sytem was also modified: 1 controlled the Sensurround speakers in the front of the theater, the other the ones in the back. A type of noise reduction and compression called DBX was applied on the soundtrack, on top of which the rumbles came. The low-frequency sounds were not compressed with DBX so when the soundtrack was played through the control box the rumbles would be give a double expansion, as they weren't 2:1 compressed by DBX. The optical track wasn't made compatible with the 'Academy' standard which increased the dynamic range to 80dB and resulted in a frequency response of 16Hz to 16kHz. Because of DBX the Sensurround Mod II prints weren't compatible with standard playback equipment.
"Rollercoaster" (1977) was also released in Sensurround Mod II but changes were made during mixing: the Sensurround speakers were also used for music and real low-frequency sounds, recorded on rollercoasters, were used instead of synthesized ones.
"Battlestar Galactica" used Sensurround Mod III and "Zoot Suit" was shown in Sensurround+Plus, which was merely the use of dbx noise reduction on the 4-track mag prints for extremely high fidelity, without any rumble. It was also supposed to use LightSurround, an in-auditorium synced light cueing system, but no installations were done."

Edited by _djk_ - 21 October 2005 at 7:06am
djk
Pav25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pav25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 9:04am

Thanks guys for your link and advice. I have design for the SL 36B and the B36 C-V. I would like to build a pair of these, which ones would you recommend the full size SL 36B or the smaller B36. And also wot would be the best drivers for them.

http://groups.msn.com/SpeakerBuildingpics/shoebox.msnw?Page= 1

./pbaudio/earthquakeB36/Earthquake B36 Baskast.doc

Thanks for your help.
Pav
Vegaquake1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vegaquake1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 12:22pm

With regards to the nomenclature, The original B36 was not regarded or named the Junior Earthquake. It was the development of the L-36 box where the "Juinor" name was given. It was at this time they were loaded with the JE woofer. No box prior to the introduction of the L-36 had the JE woofer. All boxes prior to that had 187's, 188 or 189's with the 4 arm rough aluminum baskets.

I did notice over the years with the popularity of the L-36 that nerwer B36's were being sold with the JE woofer. Original Carpeted B36's were loaded with the 188EB woofer with the 8 arm rough Aluminum basket. The older fiberglass covered B36's were loaded with 187's or 189's.

I know this because I have owned several of every version of sub woofer they made ( some new, some used) with the exception of the Original Earthquake box. (Could never get anyone to part with one unitl recently, but have enough in my collection plus limited space to aquire them now.) I owned The RLA version's and still have two Emeralds which were modeled off of the Earthquake.

Quick note: Cerwin vega drivers (woofers) were also used in other manufacturer units back in the seventies and eighties. But you already new that. Most of the drivers used were of the 187 or 188 veriety.

It seems lately C-V has renamed the boxes. We also know that CV was purchased a few years ago and therefore the new powers at be can do and have done what ever they want.

If it's not loud...your missin' somethin'!
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 1:29pm

There are three models of the Cerwin Vega folded horn now: JE-36B,EL-36B,AB-36B.

JE-36B and EL36B has driver with 3 inch voicecoil and 500w prog/1000w peak rating.

AB-36B has 4 inch voice coil and 750w prog/1500w peak rating.

What I never understand about Cerwin Vega is the wattage, is 750w prog same as rms how they rate it?, cos prog is usually twice the rms.And if that is the case the drivers with a 3 inch voicecoil would have a mere 250w rms rating.

JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2005 at 10:47pm
I tried several CV horns, like the SL36(B) and the JE36. I didn't like them, they were boomy with a big hump in freq plot around 60Hz and nearly no output below that.  I took the T36 then, the only ones I know in trap shape. They do a pretty good job, a stack of four will go to slightly below 40Hz and they play pretty flat (no boomy 60Hz sound). They run pretty fine with 1000- 1200W each, but a highpass is needed otherwise they will distort at those power levels.

Edited by JD01 - 21 October 2005 at 10:48pm
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2005 at 5:12am

I agree, a block of four of the 36" deep ones are OK, and I always use a high pass filter on any kind of low end cabinets.

I've used two different 24" deep versions, and I wouldn't recommend either of them.

djk
nos7777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nos7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2005 at 3:05pm

Hi I'm an HORN LOADED SUBWOOFERS SUPPORTER from Italy that likes A LOT the CV JE with 36" deep and 36" wide and 24" high but I'm not able to find out the project to build up my own one with my hands! Also if someone can suggest me a subwoofer for that project will help me SO MUCH please help me I can't wait to begin to build it up! Thanks so much

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12