Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please explain MONO levels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please explain MONO levels
    Posted: 18 March 2018 at 10:10am
I need to put up this question.

I want to go MONO on my Setup. For now I only have a simple zone mixer which I pushed the button MONO.

So now I only need to use one XLR output for example left? But why does the sound volume goes up if I use both left and right XLR outs?

If I go MONO does this mean that I only need use for example the white connector for input to the mixer from cd-player?

Please explain this ones and for all I dont really get it..
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2018 at 11:01am
Mono generally means that both the left and right channel are summed into one mono signal, that contains the mixed signal from both channels (left = 1, right = 1, mono = 1 + 1 = 2). So if you only connect one channel you still mix the channels but one isn't active (left = 1, right = 0, mono = 1 + 0 = 1).

Johan

serioussound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2018 at 11:07am
Ok but many zone mixers for example only have 1 pcs XLR out in mono? Then I only can connect one XLR do I then only get half the volume?
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2018 at 12:03pm
What equipment do you have after the mixer?
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2018 at 1:46pm
All the sources need to be connected as normal - So you need both the left and right signals from any stereo sources such as your CD player.
A mono button will mix down the left and right channels into mono. It often will reduce the level as well to stop the mono mix from overloading before the stereo mix.
Once you have your mono signal how you feed this into your amps and speakers is up to you. You say the level goes up if you use both output XLR's but you have not explained what you are plugging them into.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2018 at 2:06pm
Maybe we do it little complex here is what I want to do is this even possibel or am I way out in the clouds.....

Please take a look :)

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2018 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by serioussound serioussound wrote:

But why does the sound volume goes up if I use both left and right XLR outs?
When you have a mono signal if you combine 2 copies it will sum perfectly and produce a 3dB increase in level which is quite noticable. With a stereo signal the L and R signals are a little out of phase with each other.. that is what produces the wider sound stage, but that also means they don't combine perfectly and won't produce as much of an increase in sound level.

So in your diagram do you have 3 different CX163 zone mixers is it that just 1 drawn 3 times? If it is 3 then that is wrong you don't need all that equipment, you just want a single zone mixer and everything(sources, amps, and control devices) connect to that single mixer.

Edited by Conanski - 18 March 2018 at 2:22pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2018 at 2:31pm
ok but there is no need for combining to copys? I just put the gain up instead?

There is 3 cx163 because I want to control the sound locally at different places but be able to play sound from same computer on all of the zones?
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2018 at 2:43pm

ok but there is no need for combining to copys? I just put the gain up instead?
Correct.

There is 3 cx163 because I want to control the sound locally at different places but be able to play sound from same computer on all of the zones?
Yeah you are making this more complicated than it needs to be, you can do that with a single zone mixer.
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2018 at 2:49pm
The 3 individual zone mixers are not being used as zone mixers - Small normal mixers would suffice for these if you need local level control and alternative localised audio sources.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2018 at 2:51pm
But I need the zone mixer because I want to be able to control volume and localy cd players and so on in each zone. For example outside on the terass without need to run into the master mixer?

How do I connect the output from Z8II 1 pcs XLR into the input on the CX163 mixer that has 2 pcs RCA on each input channel?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2018 at 2:53pm
Sorry in real situation there is more amp rack connected to each cx163.

Now I have headache over how to connect from Z8II output XLR 1 pcs to the stereo input 2x rca of the cx163 or any smaller dj mixer for that matter..?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>