Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Please help! Advice needed re my old Leak speakers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please help! Advice needed re my old Leak speakers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please help! Advice needed re my old Leak speakers
    Posted: 21 March 2020 at 4:34pm
Hello there

I'm a real speaker novice. I have taken my fathers old ~70's~ Leak speakers out of the loft. I haven't been able to find out their model number as yet as it doesn't seem to be marked on the cabinets, and haven't found a picture quite like them online. Anyway, I've hooked them up and am fairly pleased with myself (!), bar two (potentially big) issues. And so, two questions:

1. One of the drivers, the left hand woofer (8", when I measure the diameter of the external face) is totally dead - I'm assuming blown. From what I've seen online, and aware of my lack of know-how, I have thought I'd be best to source a replacement. I'm fairly sure that I've found an original on ebay, but it's going to be costly (i guess more than the speakers are worth). Could anyone recommend a suitable non-original replacement? I understand you may need more information about the speakers to make such a recommendation, so some pointers towards what I need to know or what I need to make sure matches up with a replacement woofer would be greatly appreciated. 
Besides this, maybe there is some further testing to be done to make sure my current woofer isn't actually dead? I've taken it out of the cabinet and checked the wiring which is soldered on and all looks in good shape.

2. As I've been using the speakers the last two days I've noticed a developing issue with the right hand woofer. The front of the foam cone is coming away from the rubber gasket, and very slowly retreating towards the back of the cabinet. These speakers haven't been used in a very long time! I'm assuming the glue has perished and the shock of usage these last few days has caused it to come apart. I'm hoping that I'll be able to glue this back together (?). So again, any advice on this topic would be very warmly received!

Thanks in advance, John B Smile

johnb87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2020 at 4:50pm
...I've just found the speakers on youtube, according to this video, they're Leak sandwich 300's
 Post Reply Post Reply