Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plyboard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plyboard
    Posted: 23 September 2005 at 5:31pm
Does someone who has previously made one of these know how many sheets of 8x4ft boards these need?

Im actually planning to construct a Dual X1, Having the tops, bottoms, and back as one, but have a divider in the middle to keep the internals the same. Should be interesting and bloody heavy. Hope the neighbours dont mind....
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2005 at 6:44pm

I agree, it would be interesting, but why duals?

If I am not mistaken it would weight over 200 lbs. I find trouble enough in moving around my 170 lbs bass bins by myself (and I am already quite nuts when it comes to that).

I am sure the neighbours will love it tho 

Wkr Johan

Edited by mobiele eenheid
gingerbiscuit69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2005 at 6:50pm
sounds sad i know, but its to save on costs of production on a whole and leaves less cutting for me to do.

Also, they are to be used off 1 amp each anyway (ie, one bridged amp per dual cab). By combining them, i cut out the link cable inefficiency, save one side of Ply, Only need one connector panel per cab, One set of handles, and the stick some castors on the back and they should (just) move. They shouldnt be moving around that often anyway. Also, I think it will look quite darn cool! Anyway, who else has ever been mad enough to do this before?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2005 at 7:45am

Well, now and then people come and go that want to make double X1's. Till now everybody has been talked out of doing so. AFAIK you're the first.

Wkr Johan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2005 at 11:04am
hopefully ill be a trend setter! Theres a first for everything!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2005 at 12:02pm

Of course you understand that you must post pics?

Wkr Johan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2005 at 12:12pm
ill post pics, but it will be at least Christmas before i have anything remotely resembling this. Ive finished my plans.

Pretty simple all together, keeping the Bottom, Top and rear as 1194 long sheets, then inserting the two contents. The centre divider will mounted in line with the rest of the insides (20mm) and will have a slot on the front so the 'front panel' is one piece too, making the centre look like another port brace and making them look even fatter. Hopefully cover with Carpet, Metal Corners (cos the amount of weight bashing things cant be good), then metal rightangle along the edges. Should look beefy, and old school! Lets hope they perform as well as people say as im putting a lot of work (and £££) into these!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2005 at 12:52pm
just had a thought, would the divider in the middle be nessasary to keep the design efficiency working (as in having a different volume with 2 drivers?). Or can i just put in what is effectively another port brace on top and bottom to keep the strengh, cos then i can have all the mdf in nice long pieces leaving even less work to do!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2005 at 1:26pm

Yes, you can.

The only benefit of the separated chambers would be, that if one accidently stops, it's not going to function as an acoustic shortcut. It would still damp tho but not as much.

Wkr Johan

Edited by mobiele eenheid
Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2005 at 2:28pm

Can I say something???

You're insane.

Have you considered how you're going to get this 1194 x 800 x 770 (not including wheels) monster through a door?

Do you have any idea how heavy this will be?  Personally I don't think an X1 is a one man lift, which to me means a double will a real pain to move with two people.  And that's out of ply, never mind MDF.

If you're doing it to save wood (one less panel, two less if you don't divide them (which you will need to do if only to brace the other panels)) then you'll save under £3 per panel using MDF and about £7 per panel if you use baltic birch ply... 

An extra pair of connectors will cost under £3.  Handles are free if you cut them into the cab design. 

Is it really worth the saving??

"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."
LunchieTey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2005 at 4:50am
You try to tell them....and they'll say it's all 'cool' and they'll be 'awesome' and 'old school' until....you can't bloody move them cause your mate got drunk and pissed off and left you to move them yourself. I have ply 6th order boxes very similar to the x1(slightly smaller) and they're a pain already. If someone said why don't i join them into doubles,I'd say see that one? Try and pick it up...

I just don't see how a big stupidly heavy box(the size of a double refridgerator) will be any cooler than two stacked on each other? I personally like the look of multiple cabs linked by those nice little blue collared speakons. Looks nice and professional. In fact it looks 'pro' because it doesn't look like some home-made black fridge with ports...

Ask yourself how many massive bassbins you see made by manufacturers,except those marketed for big touring companies with semi's and 20 hairy,tattooed roadies...you'll also notice many have handle spacings to suit 4 man lifts...

Well I'm going outside now to combine all my bass and mid/high enclosures into one box and paint it to look like a 30ft ghetto blaster from the 80's cause it'll be cool...

Edited by LunchieTey
Speaker addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2005 at 6:34am
lol, point taken. . How many kilo's does one of these weigh then?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>