Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Plywood thinkness, does it make a difference???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plywood thinkness, does it make a difference???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plywood thinkness, does it make a difference???
    Posted: 14 February 2007 at 2:13pm
Hi,
I've been a bit of a nob and ordered the wrong thickness of plywood but does it make a great deal of difference?
Im not arsed about it getting a bit batterd, i'm bothered about the sound quality out of it.

Could anyone enlighten me???

Thanks

Ste
Insomnia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insomnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2007 at 7:17pm
a couple of questions
what thickness have u ordered?and what do u intend on building?

Edited by Insomnia - 14 February 2007 at 7:18pm
jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2007 at 7:56pm
You'll probably need to redraw the plans to keep the same internal dimensions for all horn flares etc, but it should work ok... so long as you didn't buy bendy 4mm!!
stem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2007 at 12:40pm
I have bought 1/2 inch ply instead of 3/4 inch ply.
Im trying to build the 1850 horns.
I've have had some problems drawing the plans on the side of cab but I've managed to squeeze them in with one or two mistakes.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2007 at 1:19pm
If you're using half inch for the 1850 horns you're gonna need A LOT more bracing to stop the whole thing trying to blow itself apart when you fire it up.
stem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2007 at 7:55am
The extra bracing isnt going to affect the sound is it?

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2007 at 8:36am
It will affect the sound, it'll stop the panels resonating and make it sound better!
stem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2007 at 8:38am
oh right ok snd! Tar for that ppl!
COWFOOT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COWFOOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2007 at 7:10pm
Can't you return what you bought and get the right stuff?
stem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2007 at 3:15am
No, because timber yards cut to the cutting list I gave them and it isnt there fault that I wrote down the wrong thickness so therefore they wont loose out by wasting a load of ply
COWFOOT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COWFOOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2007 at 6:08am

Park the half inch stuff for the time being.Get the thicker ply and move on.No use compromising your efforts by starting out on the wrong foot.

stem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2007 at 8:24am
You meen just scrap the 1/2 inch ply and order a new lot of 3/4 inch?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>