Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Point source array - Caterpillar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Point source array - Caterpillar
    Posted: 12 May 2012 at 5:47am
Something different I suppose

will have 4 x 12'' coaxial to give you an idea of scale

BP1Fanatic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BP1Fanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 6:16am
Impressive!
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 11:14am
That looks very good Mykey.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Adam_Iron_Horse View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 12:46pm
were these ball shapes not something you worked on quite a while ago? I remember when i first joined up pictures of these were being posted around. Thought you mighta given up on that idea but glad you didnt! Look great :)
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 12:52pm

I think that it is sad that any consideration for acoustic performance and integrity are obsequious to the visual aesthetics of the enclosure.

I’m not suggesting that loudspeakers shouldn’t look good, but surely we can incorporate both.

To quote Louis Sullivan:

Whether it be the sweeping eagle in his flight, or the open apple-blossom, the toiling work-horse, the blithe swan, the branching oak, the winding stream at its base, the drifting clouds, over all the coursing sun, form ever follows function, and this is the law. Where function does not change form does not change. The granite rocks, the ever brooding hills, remain for ages; the lightning lives, comes into shape, and dies in a twinkling.

It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things superhuman, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, that form ever follows function. This is the law.

kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 1:04pm
hey

LOL while I can see your point steve, I think like all speakers its a case of compromises, and their are times where some people (lol obviously not on here!) would take form far in advance of function.

I know a great many wedding planners who would cream their pants at that PA system and the fact that they could integrate it into a classy wedding design without having what they consider ugly black boxes spoiling their aesthetic. They wouldn't give two f*ucks about the vertical comb filtering that would result, just that it looked good and made a noise.

lol was just last night hearing stories from a fellow engineer who had to mix a full band through 4 ceiling speakers a few weeks ago because the wedding party wanted a "minimalist" set-up and wouldn't let him set up any sort of PA what so ever.  even convincing them to let him set up two PS8's as stage wedges for the band to play with was a struggle.

Anyone who does installs or similar will also all have worked with countless designers and project managers who (even though being a club music is one of the key and central elements of the venue) rate the exact colour of purple that the plant pots at the front door are as a higher priority than silly things like acoustics and speaker placement.

So yeah for some people they'll have a place, and they'll live with the consequence of slightly reduced sound.

note: this isn't to say they wont sound good, not meaning to sound like I'm slagging the design mykey, I'm sure that even with the bit of vertical comb filtering that'll come from spaced out HF sections they will still be great boxes.

k

mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 1:24pm
you don't know what the HF horns look like : )
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

Exactly what i thought as well. I was about to say that for sure you aren't that daft to use 60 degree conical horns or something like that on design like this.
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 1:41pm
@Kev

you would not believe the bookings I can get from that system. They don't want anything else and will pay through the nose to have it : )
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 2:28pm
i would have thought having two drivers coaxial, two normal mid, would somewhat help HF dispersion, say coax on top and bottom, allowing easier arraying of the HF output - albeit:

- we dont know what you have done - though being mounted in a driver, to keep the cone loading normal you would surely need a spherical HF flare and a short one at that [to fit inside] which surely cannot achieve say 20degree vertical dispersion to properly array 4 HF elements in such a tight space?

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 2:59pm

will have 4 x 12'' coaxial to give you an idea of scale
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 8:03pm
If it's going to be flown, would inputs not make more sense at the top of the array (or both top and bottom for flexibility)? I'd rather run cabling across the truss or similar and have it be as invisible as possible if using something that looks as nice as these do!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>