Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Portable Battery 2 way speaker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 9:11pm
In an ideal world, the vibration of the cabinet panels wouldn't contribute to the sound of the speaker. Some may call this colouring effect "character", but I don't feel the same.
   I'm not one for just doing stuff for the hell of it, but if I can get a small gain for a small effort and a small expense then I'm all up for it.
  If you use bitumen panels on all 5 (excluding the baffle), I'm very confident it will result in a better sounding speaker.
  Do take into consideration that adding this to all the panels will reduce the effective internal volume and therefore raise the cabinet tuning frequency. You might want to calculate the differnece before committing!

Edited by Lucasdude - 11 April 2022 at 9:15pm
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 9:17pm
Ah ok i see so the bitumen isnt for standing waves in the cab, they are just to stop panel rattle?

So it might be worth adding bitumen and the wadding i showed too?

And yes understandable it will reduce the volume in box. 

Edited by Jack1991 - 11 April 2022 at 9:19pm
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 9:25pm
Try using a tone generator app and feel each panel at various frequencies. There will be a couple of resonant peaks which, although can't really be eliminated, may be mitigated. I've found that these frequencies affect different styles of music to a greater or lesser extent.
 Using a tone generator can also be helpful when you apply pressure to opposing panels, as these are often the easiest to brace.
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 9:37pm
Cool perfect cheers mate ill try these different tips this week and see how it goes.

I have been testing it using my pioneer car amplifier.

Also i just remembered i have some Dodo Deadn Hex Mat leftover from my camper build. Which is litterally used to dampen vibrations. So ill try that out. Unless bitumen has better certain properties?
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 9:40pm
If it's black, thin and tacky inside I'm sure it's similar stuff. What camper do you have?
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 10:02pm
Cool its perfect stuff then.

Its only a VW Caddy Maxi. Litterally just finished it. Nothing too fancy inside just sound deadened, insulated and carpeted and altro flooring down. Keeping it basic and just using it for weekend aways and festivals.

Edited by Jack1991 - 11 April 2022 at 10:03pm
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 10:07pm
Sweet. If you see or hear an army green VW T4 dropping some basslines then say hi!

Edited by Lucasdude - 11 April 2022 at 10:23pm
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2022 at 10:16pm
Haha cool will do man! And cheers for all your help so far!
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2022 at 6:39pm
The amplifier finally arrived. Just looking at positioning now for the Amp, Preamp, Crossover, and the DC step up.

I want them fitted toward the front, on the side walls, nearest the tweeter as possible really. Just to keep it all away from peoples fingers, should someone else open it to change the battery or that. The battery holder will then be fitted in the middle nearest the door end.

Is there any downsides to that at all? With the tweeter having the big magnet on it. The tweeter will be the last thing fitted but here is a photo just to show you how it is, and so i can work out roughly how things will go.

There is about a 4cm gap between the tweeter magnet and the tallest part which is the amplifier.

Heres a photo just so you can see what i mean

Edited by Jack1991 - 13 April 2022 at 6:42pm
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2022 at 8:07pm
From a practical point of view, I would pay some attention to weight distribution when it's being carried. You already have 2 heavy magnets at the front. It might be an idea to mock up all the components inside, then work out the centre of gravity before banging a couple of t-nuts in for a hand carry strap.
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2022 at 8:13pm
Yeh i did think about the weight but not too sure i can do much about it, without it all being near the back towards the door. 

Also the door has 2 holes in which are for air flow and also for your fingers to get in to remove the door. I got no idea how hot the electronics will get but thought its best to have 2 holes for air flow? Another reason thought to keep away from the holes incase of rain or liquid getting in. Chances are low but even lower with things away from there.

But yeh completely agree with you about weight distribution.

The holes can easily be blocked off on the inside if they arent necessary.

Edited by Jack1991 - 13 April 2022 at 9:41pm
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2022 at 6:15pm
Just finished it today well happy with it. The preamp makes such a difference. Sounds clearer and cleaner, and also louder at lower volumes.

Needs a bit of eq'ing, that poweramp app is really good, but could also do with some pointers in what best to set for it on the parameteic eq.

No idea how long the battery will last yet only tested for 15mins in the garden at half volume was loud enough with neighbours and that 😆 will take it down the field soon to give it a good blast.

Edited by Jack1991 - 28 April 2022 at 6:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>