Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power Distribution

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power Distribution
    Posted: 14 August 2019 at 12:10am
After posting a thread around Christmas asking for advice, (I had a few issues, there was an issue where power was a bit all over the place. lots of things, plugged in lots of places, lots of PVC cables.)
I've (finally) gotten a better handle on the power situation, bought a load of amplifiers, sorted power cables etc...

Pictures of the creation as follows: 

details as follows:

Case is a 3u Aluminium (brushed finish) rack case. this was bought with an open front and back. (the case is earthed, though that's not seen in the photos.)
The front and back panels for the case are made with 10m thick HDPE sheet. with the appropriate cutouts made to fit the components.
on the back there is a single 32a single phase ceeform input, 
this inlet is connected to a 100a rated master breaker on the front panel. 
this then feeds a power meter.
and then on to a main bus with 5 rcbo.
outlets are 1x 32a ceeform + 4x 16a ceeforms, 
so RCBOs are 4x 16a, and a 32a - they are C-curve, and all ABB branded.
also the RCBOs are 2 pole, so the break both live and neutral. 

The breaker, RCBOs and power meter, are all mounted on a single DIN rail, which is attached to the front of the case...

All the wiring inside is in 4mm rubber insulated cable, neatly crimped with ferrules before being screwed into the sockets. (I may change this internal wiring to a larger CSA at a later date.)

Danielr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 12:25am
It might be worth mentioning that I followed all the advice that was given in the thread.

The first advice I got was get rack cases sorted, I've done that, I have changed some amplifiers, and now have:
UKP 1000 (x2) + midiverb + my power distribution in a single 8U rack, it weights about 30KG. so a fairly nice one man lift/carry.
A second 4U case with 2x UKP 1300.
and finally a third 4U case with a UKP 1600 and a UKP 2100.
For speaker management, I have an old installation mixer that's offers multiple inputs, mixing to 8 different outputs, that I can EQ, limits, apply delays etc. that lives in a 2u box...
Filling the boxes like this has meant I have a handful of boxes that I can easily load myself, and pick up one or more depending on the size of the gig/rig needed.

Cable, I've changed all extension leads from H05 PVC (stuff you buy in B&Q/Homebase) to 4mm H07, with 16a ceeform at either end.
I've got 50 meters in total divided into various lengths. that allows wall to distribution, and distribution to various "sites" on a stage. between boxes etc.

I sorted "stage drops" I have a large board with a ceeform in, and out with a pair of wall sockets in the middle. the board that all this is mounted on is 10mm HDPE, so it means that these things are insulated, durable, and can be easily cleaned. (this is pictured in the post above)

I made the input 32a, as it's fine to connect a 16a fused circuit to a 32a device... (i.e the fuse pops before the wire melts) but not so find to adapt a large 32a wall socket down to a smaller 16a socket.
hence the short (0.5m) adapter also appearing in the pictures. (as it goes I've only got 4mm cable with 16a ceeforms at the moment, - I've got 32a sockets, and am waiting and saving to get some cable to make up 32a leads.)
basically now I have my regular UK socket to ceeform adapter, and 16 - 32a ceeform adapter, so I'm able to use any plug from household up to fairly large generator size.
I don't envisage myself ever needing to plug into a really big generator with 63a outlets, and would not unreasonably expect an event where that was the case to have provided distribution, and a dude to sort all that shit out, or be providing additional funds so I can hire stuff. (I'm just in a band, not hiring our equipment.)

I also have some single in multiple out "branch" adapters for ceeform meaning that I can send a feed to a stage, and then split that feed as needed.
basically everything is now rubberised IP rated and ready for indoor and outdoor use etc.

I've got a nice little book where I've worked out current draw, and losses over distances and written them into a table, hence I can see "at a glance" if I was feeding a lighting circuit (3% drop) I could have a 40 meter run of my 4mm cable, (but not a 45 meter run.) with a 13a draw. and likewise know what the "limits" of acceptable use are for 5% drop general circuits too.
(I've also got the formulas and constants for conductor sizes written in my book in case (in the future) I'm running 10 or 16mm 32a cable, to the distribution box (possibly under a stage) and then running 16a out to stage drops. etc.

Finally I also got a few sections of "drive over cable ramp"... - having spent that much on cables, I thought protecting that investment should be the next order of the day!

next plans are.
Go to screw fix to but some more mushroom head bolts for holding those sockets to the back plate. (it's not quite finished.)
Get 10mm or 16mm cable to make up 32a leads.
Possibly replace the internal wiring with a larger CSA conductor.
and I'm thinking about a small "fuse board" type arrangement, for each amp case, e.g. each amp case have a single power con in, with some resetable fuses/MCB devices, and then that has some kettle lead outs to plug into the amplifier in the case.

Post Reply Post Reply