Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power leads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power leads
    Posted: 23 July 2017 at 11:06am
I have a few questions...
I am overhauling my power leads, cables, plugs and sockets. Making them all up myself with quality components, rather than the tosh off the shelf.
As I mainly do disco's (my small rig is out quite a lot these days), I don't have much requirement for 16/32A stuff. 
What do people recommend cable wise? Really fed up of millions of different sockets and extensions and all that lot.
1.5mm or 2.5mm in a 13A plug? Is 2.5mm even allowed/possible?
Rubber or plastic plugs/sockets? Duraplug and the like
Is "surge protection" even a thing? Pound shop leads even have it.
Arctic cable overkill or just normal flex?

How much kit has someone ran from 1 single 13A plug? (not spread out over sockets)
(asking for a friend Embarrassed)

Edited by cookie-dj - 23 July 2017 at 11:08am
You can't polish a turd!
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by cookie-dj cookie-dj wrote:

I have a few questions...
I am overhauling my power leads, cables, plugs and sockets. Making them all up myself with quality components, rather than the tosh off the shelf.
As I mainly do disco's (my small rig is out quite a lot these days), I don't have much requirement for 16/32A stuff. 
What do people recommend cable wise? Really fed up of millions of different sockets and extensions and all that lot.
1.5mm or 2.5mm in a 13A plug? Is 2.5mm even allowed/possible?
Rubber or plastic plugs/sockets? Duraplug and the like
Is "surge protection" even a thing? Pound shop leads even have it.
Arctic cable overkill or just normal flex?

How much kit has someone ran from 1 single 13A plug? (not spread out over sockets)
(asking for a friend Embarrassed)

Duraplug plugs & sockets   Link with 2.5mm ho7rnf is acceptable, I have run my old flashlight rack 3 x bss epc780 & 2 x epc760 of a single 13amp socket not recommended but doable and always a good idea to a: check the state of the inhouse wiring and b: to know where the relevant  fusebox is
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
Dreadlocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreadlocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 3:14pm
50 x New Neutrik Black Gold 3 Pin NC3FXX-B Female & NC3

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192228801871?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Its Not About Having Everything Thing You Want,
Its About Wanting Everything You Have
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Dreadlocks Dreadlocks wrote:

50 x New Neutrik Black Gold 3 Pin NC3FXX-B Female & NC3

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192228801871?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

irrelevant 
You can't polish a turd!
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 5:03pm
Realistically you want to be looking at GOOD quality H05-VVF.
You could push to H05-RNF if youve got the money to splooge splurge.

There's absolutely no need to go to H07 as you're running strictly within the voltage rating of the H05 with a BS1363 13A plug and the H07 will just make everything more expensive and more difficult to terminate into a BS1363 plug top.

According to the 17th Edition of the Electrical Regs 2.5mm^2 is the maximum permissible gauge of wire to terminate into a BS1363 plug top, so if you want it PAT-able then 2.5 is your max.

Duraplug are the go-to for plugtops (and are now owned by MK so some places list them as MK now instead of Duraplug).

Surge protection... errm.. if you've got equipment like Laptops etc that you're worried about, you would be better off with an inverting UPS.

As Ford says, the old EPC Turbosound racks could be run off of a 13A plugtop... Most 13A fuses will sit happily at 21-ish Amps all day but thats not really a recommended thing to do as they will get '<u style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;">warm' and it just shows poor design of the system

Edit:
1.5mm^2 is the max for a BS1363 plugtop

Edited by RoadRunnersDust - 24 July 2017 at 1:43am
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by RoadRunnersDust RoadRunnersDust wrote:

There's absolutely no need to go to H07 as you're running strictly within the voltage rating of the H05 with a BS1363 13A plug and the H07 will just make everything more expensive and more difficult to terminate into a BS1363 plug top.

According to the 17th Edition of the Electrical Regs 2.5mm^2 is the maximum permissible gauge of wire to terminate into a BS1363 plug top, so if you want it PAT-able then 2.5 is your max.

Duraplug are the go-to for plugtops (and are now owned by MK so some places list them as MK now instead of Duraplug).

Surge protection... errm.. if you've got equipment like Laptops etc that you're worried about, you would be better off with an inverting UPS.

As Ford says, the old EPC Turbosound racks could be run off of a 13A plugtop... Most 13A fuses will sit happily at 21-ish Amps all day but thats not really a recommended thing to do as they will get 'warm' and it just shows poor design of the system

Thanks

I have just ordered 3x 4 gang rubber duraplug extension leads with duraplug plug tops. Brand new £40 for the 3 (bargain!)
25m drum of H07 as it was going cheap (really cheap). Just hope I can squeeeeeze the outer sheathing into the cord grip.

Whats all the fuss about silver plated toughplugs? Some go for £15 each Shocked
Some of these plugs are "Audiophile" rated LOLLOLLOL

My "friend" will be running 2x Crown XLS, 1x iNuke 6000, IEC Splitter and LED lighting, DCX, CDJ's and Mixer, Laptop and DMX controller.
Best I tell him to split it across 2 sockets then.......

You can't polish a turd!
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 5:46pm

My "friend" will be running 2x Crown XLS, 1x iNuke 6000, IEC Splitter and LED lighting, DCX, CDJ's and Mixer, Laptop and DMX controller.

That lot should all run off a single 13A socket fine LOL
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 12:12am

As Ford says, the old EPC Turbosound racks could be run off of a 13A plugtop... Most 13A fuses will sit happily at 21-ish Amps all day but thats not really a recommended thing to do as they will get '<u style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;">warm' and it just shows poor design of the system

Thanks

I have just ordered 3x 4 gang rubber duraplug extension leads with duraplug plug tops. Brand new £40 for the 3 (bargain!)
25m drum of H07 as it was going cheap (really cheap). Just hope I can squeeeeeze the outer sheathing into the cord grip.

Whats all the fuss about silver plated toughplugs? Some go for £15 each Shocked
Some of these plugs are "Audiophile" rated LOLLOLLOL

Do duraplug actually make a rubber 4 way socket?

I found the plastic duraplug 4 way trailing sockets weren't robust enough so I changed to Permaplugs rubber version a few years ago and I don't think I've seen a failure yet (with hundreds in service).

No problem terminating HO7RNF to them so unless you need to save every penny don't go HO5, and enjoy coiling them now and in 5 years time.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 1:32am
Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

No problem terminating HO7RNF to them so unless you need to save every penny don't go HO5, and enjoy coiling them now and in 5 years time.

You do realise the only difference between H07-RNF and H05-RNF is how thick the Rubber and Neoprene are to achieve the relevant dielectric strengths for the voltage ratings, right?

Longevity and coil-ability are negligible, if anything, H05-RNF is easier to coil due to it being slightly thinner and weighing slightly less
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 1:48am
Edited my prior comment, 1.5 is the max in a 13A.

Must have been thinking too hard about not getting confused with 16A Commando regs

I've never known somebody fail a lead for 2.5 in a 13A though as long as it's terminated neatly
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 7:45am

Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

You do realise the only difference between H07-RNF and H05-RNF is how thick the Rubber and Neoprene are to achieve the relevant dielectric strengths for the voltage ratings, right?

Longevity and coil-ability are negligible, if anything, H05-RNF is easier to coil due to it being slightly thinner and weighing slightly less

BS7909.

H07.

*Drops Mic*
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 8:07am
hey,

Just to throw it out there, to be honest I would still probably look at 16a connectors if I were you for the cable and 4way extensions etc. 

A couple of little 13a to 16a jumpers get you out of the wall into your 16a cable, and then using cable with 16a connectors makes it much easier to join them if you need to extend a long distance. You can use 16a T-pieces on your 4-way power strips for all your gear. so you can chain up 2 or 3 in a row rather than having to run individual cables for each extension. 

Also means you're future proofed if you need to run something bigger or run from a Genny for any reason. And people are FAR less likely to have sticky fingers or help themselves to one of your cables this way as they wont really know how to use a 16a connector or have any use for it. 

k
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>