Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

powering soundsystem with a generator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TontonMoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: powering soundsystem with a generator
    Posted: 22 February 2024 at 4:25pm
Hi everyone, 

I just join this forum and I'm already learning bunch of stuff that can be usefull for me, sadly I couldn't find some recent informations about generator and specially power distribution unit or distro's. 

I have a soundsystem that draws around 1700W wich isn't much (around 2.125 kva). We decided to try to use little generator which aren't stable and I don't want my amps to be damaged by this. Do you guys have any recommendation concerning distro's? 

Also a friend recommended me to put every amplificator on different electrical phases, so to rent a three-phase generator, is it mandatory and affects a lot sound quality? 

Thank you for your help . 

All best, 
Moli.
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2024 at 5:42pm
Distros don't help with stability, you need a big enough generator , deisel is better than petrol, and some kind of stable load on it like some filament lamps. 3phase won't make your life easier either.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2024 at 6:13pm
A small genie with some headroom (so 4 or 5KVA) will likely  have a 16A output socket so a rack mounted distro with 16A input and a number of 13A outputs is ideal. You should have an RCD (or RCBO) somewhere between genie and output sockets, this could be built into the distro, or a cable mounted one. This is to protect living things , not the equipment though.

Vdc, Emo and Penn elcom all make distro s like this.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2024 at 7:54pm
We have a Pramac P6000 we use for little things like skate jams, remote festoon etc, Could be used for free parties and such I guess.
Paid sub £1000 for it of ebay, Keep the filters clean and diesel fresh and that little thing chugs away for days at a time quite happily powers 4 stacks of C7 and Decks.

Distro Wise we use Rubber Box ones with it that have 30ma RCBO's and 16mm Earth Lug for the stake.

Most of our distros also have a voltage meter on them which is essential when using any form of generation.

A distro doesn't take care of your kit AVR, Knowledge, Preparation & Skill take care of the kit.

A distribution unit just distributes the power, it does not make sure its correct for the application....
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2024 at 9:23pm
Bear in mind that this member is in Paris, France - so their
electrical standards are different to ours.
It's a difficult choice, would you rather have:

A: A vegan son.

B: An OnlyFans daughter
TontonMoli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TontonMoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2024 at 12:02pm
Thanks a lot for all thse informations !

I don't think being in France changes a lot of thing, our system works also at 230V and 50hz, the earths is just a bit different in the plug but i don't think that changes a lot. 

Just to be clear, even with distros the best all around is just to take a genie that is stable? And then to have a distro with RCBO. If I understood correctly I should just give up trying to use non stable genie as they will just damage my amplificators. I'll search more about these and the brands you suggested. 

Thanks again, 
All best. 
 Post Reply Post Reply