Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Powersoft T series, any feedback yet?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logsquared1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powersoft T series, any feedback yet?
    Posted: 27 January 2019 at 5:56pm
I know some people here have said they have T series demos.  Powersoft is said to be shipping these now.  Any comments from the early testers?

I would like to move away from the M series but the X series doesn't really fit my needs.  Wonder how they compare to M series?  Sound quality, noise level, etc.

Are they just weak entry level amps or actually usable/ reliable.  I intend to use them on my Martin W8C's.

I will be calling the dealers on Monday to find pricing and availability. 

Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2019 at 6:30pm
Still waiting for our two was to get them last week , now they say 11feb will let you know. Kyle has some if am not wrong, he’l be Here sooner or later .
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2019 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by logsquared1 logsquared1 wrote:

I know some people here have said they have T series demos.  Powersoft is said to be shipping these now.  Any comments from the early testers?

I would like to move away from the M series but the X series doesn't really fit my needs.  Wonder how they compare to M series?  Sound quality, noise level, etc.

Are they just weak entry level amps or actually usable/ reliable.  I intend to use them on my Martin W8C's.

I will be calling the dealers on Monday to find pricing and availability. 

It’s literally duecanali and Quattrocanali tech in a new case. They’ve sold those amps for a long time, we have plenty in installs and they’re great. It has the same processing as X series and sounds very similar, just a little less voltage and no fancy mains distribution inside.

I would recommend sticking to the 4 channels and going for X for higher power demands, if you need those. I have a bunch on the shopping list for monitor systems, mainly just to free up some X4 for other things.
logsquared1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logsquared1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2019 at 10:38pm
The X4 is just way overkill for 4 W8C per side.  And the rig doesn't go out enough to justify the cost of (2X) X4.   I currently  use 2X M50Q for the rig.  They sound acceptable but are very noisy and it seems like they always do some strange stuff.  I Have one older M50Q DSP and one newer DSP+ETH.  I have problems with the cards getting loose and loosing a channel here and there.  And occasionally the older unit boots up with one channel not working.  And the DSP is not the same from older to newer version.

Do you know the price point of the new amps?

EDIT:  I fixed the noise problems by cleaning all the DSP slots and ribbon connectors.  Like brand new againBeer

Edited by logsquared1 - 05 March 2019 at 10:15pm
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2019 at 11:22pm
It is but these days I prefer flexibility and single stock. No worries if that’s not your bag - the T series is fully expected to cannibalise M series sales. It’s like night and day sound wise.

I won’t discuss prices publicly but you can always email us for a quote.

Oh, and they come with a full fleet of Martin presets built in...

Edited by toastyghost - 27 January 2019 at 11:22pm
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2019 at 9:13am
Just a quick note to say I posted a review over here: https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=169899.0

I'd also like to point out my last post in that thread, copied and pasted below:
Just a quick note to say that today I used the T602 to demo a prototype 2x18" cab (4ohm). The client had an amp that we tried, and turned it off again shortly after - it was clipping almost immediately. Theirs was one of these: https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/ADJ-American-Audio-VLP2500-Power-Amplifier/1MVK
I don't think it was putting out anywhere near the 1KW rating.

Got the T602 out, bridged it, and gave the cabinet some pain.

Sounded great, even when the bass dropped and held as a sine tone for a while, the amp just got on with it, even when registering -6dB of headroom, which is the Powersoft way of saying we got 6dB into clip.

Here's one of the test tracks we used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Po2746MdDY
Which is a lot of fun with something that's flat to below 40Hz.

So yes, I continue to be impressed. The client wanted a set of them, too.

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logsquared1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 10:28pm
I got a pair of the T604's.   So far so good.  Sound quality is excellent.  Did several different set-ups in the shop.... 3 way active tops with sub on 4th channel, 2 way passive with bridged sub.  They can do sub! Will be taking them out this weekend.  One amp per side on 1x W8C and 4th channel running 4ohm sub. 

Still getting used to Armonia plus.  Can anyone tell me why I cant go below 40W on the true power setting? And for the most part are people using the AES/3 for true power setting on subs?
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 11:20pm
It's more important to have the RMS voltage in place than the TruePower in my experience. I'm fairly sure there's a preset in the library for those Martin boxes, have you tried following their videos and adding speakers first and then assigning those to amplifiers?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logsquared1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 1:33am
The martin preset only has the peak limiter turned on.  And its very conservative, set to roughly the AES speaker rating.  I guess i can just set the RMS and peak limiters the same as i used on my M series amps.  I just figured I could get more confidence with the true power protection.  

True power on subwoofers seems to be an awesome thing to have don't you think?  

I used 21DS115 loaded box to test the new amps.  I set the TP limiter to 500w 8sec attack, 16sec decay.  Then I played a bunch of source material until I was just into TP limiting then decreased the peak limiter to about 230V when it was just starting to limit.  The idea is to "see" what a good peak voltage was needed for this box.  My conclusion is 230Vpeak is the max that is needed for most dance music otherwise I risk overheating the woofer (with an amp without true power)or wasting headroom on a bigger amp.  So, looks like a K20 is about right for this sub box.  Sucks a bit because the sims say it can take 300 volts without hitting xmax.   
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 4:48am
You can add the TruePower if you have the other limiters already calculated.

And yeah, once loaded, the real world comes in a little hard. I would probably go a touch lower on the TP threshold personally, depending on the box and how much air is moved out away from the magnet. It won’t hurt to also have an RMS voltage limit too. You can fairly easily measure the voltage input it takes to get the driver to rise in temperature in your cabinet, the loudspeaker toaster test works pretty good - upsets the neighbours, mind.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logsquared1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:34pm
Never heard of the toaster test.  Just read up on it.  Seems straight forward.  Instead of the RMS VM  I think i will just use the true power settings on the Amp to see what the amp says the power going to the driver is at -3db power compression.

Since I am using the amp to measure the actual power, the noise source probably doesnt need to be IEC-268-1.  Im guessing compressed pink noise will be fine as long as the peak voltage is not greater than the amp can deliver.
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 2:50pm
If you use unfiltered pink noise you are likely to limit earlier than with ‘music’. You could try M Noise. It still has a LF rolloff but I would do that first and then reapply with unfiltered pink to see the difference.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>