Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Powersoft X4 real power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 24>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2017 at 11:25am
Originally posted by PolymorphicMark PolymorphicMark wrote:

If the Powersoft X4 is been tested with a restive load then one thing will be neglected. The poweroft class-D's regenerate the power supply from the back EMF generated by inductive speaker, this will happen most effectively on subs as the inductance would be very high at the speaker box resonance.

I understand that this would mean in real world the amp could sustain high output for much longer.

What do the electronic experts think of this?

Back emf energy cannot be included into a perpetuum mobile amplifier.
Switching amplifiers does not dissipate this energy as heat like conventional AB class amplifier does it.
But that's it, the back emf energy, cannot feed back the amplifier to use as power supply, because developed reversed energy of voice coil, cannot be higher than absorbed energy to efectuate mechanical work of loudspeaker.

Don't eat all doghnuts they "serve to us"...

Physical theories cannot be exceeded as perpetuum mobile, especially on power amplifier section...

Edited by DjLeco - 19 June 2017 at 12:24pm
I'm A Stupid SMART Romanian...
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2017 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Pasi Pasi wrote:

Peaks can be, and are there but for the very short time and hence the bass suffers. When Toasty, Dominic and me tested the XTA APA against Toasty's X4, the APA sounded like it goes an octave deeper than X4 due to more RMS power available and the ability to sustain peaks longer. This becomes very clear to understand when you think the amounts of time required for each wavelength to go through ones. 11ms for 100Hz, 22ms for 50Hz and 44ms for 25Hz. And that is only one cycle of each frequency. What if we need 3 cycles of 50Hz and amp can only sustain 33ms? 100Hz works fine, but for 50Hz we get only half of the needed time.

This is in many case due to PSU design and because it has to be kept cost effective. It could be done for the full specs, but size, weight and most importantly price would go up by a lot. Other aspect is that nowadays we do understand that music is mainly peaks, and hence the full power output is not always needed and thus the SMPS can be downscaled. Why would we need 3000W for 1 minute when nothing in the real life requires that? But we do need to sustain things for bit longer than 1ms or 10ms or even 33ms in real life. And this is where the differences start to come from, and this is why old heavyweights rule for deep sub applications like roots music.

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClap
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2017 at 2:41pm
Quote Phisical theories cannot be exceeded as perpetuum mobile, especially on power amplifier section...

Thats efficiency of large group of huge horns(9*1000dm3) not concerning power compression.

Sorry but the best tunes I know have sinus from the very beginning to the end.
And dont you feel cheated when someone sold you 100W amp as 1kW?
20ms is hardly 1 cycle...

Edited by gen0me - 18 June 2017 at 2:58pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2017 at 3:37pm
It's quite easy to measure the voltage and current on the amp in real use you know - they provide nice meters for all of it. You can do the maths yourself.
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 12:30pm
I saw in one test that I do to the K10, showing 67-70 volts Rms and 50 amps on 2 ohms resistive load.

70 volts on 2 ohms means a maximum of 35 Arms on that dummy load, presuming the resistor value is not degrading with temperature (positive coedicient as loudspeaker voicecoil thermal compression).
The powersoft measured 50 amps...
That amperage value of 50 amps rms matched to 100 volts rms on 2 ohms dummy load.
So, who I must believe?
Ohm's law or Powersoft "software"?

That test wasn't even burst mode done.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by DjLeco DjLeco wrote:

I saw in one test that I do to the K10, showing 67-70 volts Rms and 50 amps on 2 ohms resistive load.

70 volts on 2 ohms means a maximum of 35 Arms on that dummy load, presuming the resistor value is not degrading with temperature (positive coedicient as loudspeaker voicecoil thermal compression).
That amperage value of 50 amps rms matched to 100 volts rms on 2 ohms dummy load.
So, who I must believe?

power factor?
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

Originally posted by DjLeco DjLeco wrote:

So, who I must believe?

power factor?

Would equal 1 with a resistive load.
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 8:19am
It is not new that Powersoft is cheating with real power figures. These large amplifiers are always stated by burst ratings, such 8:32 1KHz standard. For example the K10 can pretty close deliver their peaks with 8:32 1KHz test signal.
Continuous power levels , for example for 5 straight seconds are just a fraction of the peak ~35-40% of the peak in case of 4 Ohms load with the K10.
However the X4 (and likely the X8 too, but we did not measure that) can not deliver its specs even with 1:32 1KHz signal as well as 8:32 1KHz burst would pull down the whole amp, since its power supply can not deliver the required average power. So the difference lies in the peak to average ratios, if you have requirement of very narrow duty cycle jobs the X4 could be OK but as soon as you start to push it will collapses and loose dynamics/headroom.
The X4 is NOT the amp what I would put to front stage , even for mids (rock music usually..)
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 12:18pm
Why such expensive amp has cuts on psu? Would bigger psu make it sound worse? How is it related to the sound?
Sabbelbacke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabbelbacke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 12:33pm
It is cheaper to build
people buy it anyways
Most people won´t notice
-> it sells.

Goal reached (from powersofts point of view)
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2017 at 2:58am
Originally posted by gen0me gen0me wrote:

Why such expensive amp has cuts on psu? Would bigger psu make it sound worse? How is it related to the sound?

It takes 415v or more. Or anything in between. Seems a pretty poky PSU to me.

Odd thing is, we have 14. They run all sorts. And they play plenty loud for all our jobs, which are not exactly 'vanilla' shows. Hell, one X4 ran 8 scoops in Berlin on multiple shows no hassle and outplayed the JTS monoblocks no questions.
Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2017 at 7:20am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Originally posted by gen0me gen0me wrote:

It takes 415v or more. Or anything in between. Seems a pretty poky PSU to me.

Odd thing is, we have 14. They run all sorts. And they play plenty loud for all our jobs, which are not exactly 'vanilla' shows. Hell, one X4 ran 8 scoops in Berlin on multiple shows no hassle and outplayed the JTS monoblocks no questions.

Yes, but numbers on paper tells another story so your real world experience counts for nothing.

I own 2 x K6 that I use to runs both Turbo TSW-718's and Tannoy VS218DR's. I have AB'ed them with Lab FP6400, 5000vz, Ram Bux 3.4, Crest 9001, Diqam 7000 and none of the others play sub like the Powersoft K. Im getting a step up card this week to make one of them a K8 since the Tannoys needs more juice.

Edited by Hvedstrup - 21 June 2017 at 8:37am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 24>