Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Powersoft X4 - Used asking prices

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powersoft X4 - Used asking prices
    Posted: 24 December 2018 at 11:15am
Been quoted £3.5K for one of these . 

Reasonable, overpriced?
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2018 at 11:21am
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Reasonable, overpriced?
Not over priced bro , I was quoted more or less the same range 3.3k is not far from that . Maybe in a year or two they’ll come abit down when Powersoft come with their new release. 
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2018 at 12:32pm
Cheers.

Have heard them, & they sound nice playing real sub.

Sceptical about them playing 12x subs, but will definitely play 8x, better than K20.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2018 at 12:38pm
We have K20,we have run 8*2151. Of it with no sweat but as you say I sleep better when we run them of the X4 , even though the K20 was only pulling 18a out of the 32a it was hooked on . 
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2018 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Father-Francis Father-Francis wrote:

Reasonable, overpriced?

Not over priced bro , I was quoted more or less the same range 3.3k is not far from that . Maybe in a year or two they’ll come abit down when Powersoft come with their new release. 

Very reasonable.

The platform is only a few years old. The K series was released over ten years before the X series. I wouldn’t hold your breath for a big boy replacement just yet.

There are some new small four channel on the horizon though.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2018 at 1:32pm

[/QUOTE]

Very reasonable.

The platform is only a few years old. The K series was released over ten years before the X series. I wouldn’t hold your breath for a big boy replacement just yet.

There are some new small four channel on the horizon though.[/QUOTE]
Am kind of waiting for something four ch or 8ch abit smaller than the X4 for the mid-tops dry/hire not all engineers love my idea of running x4 on mid/tops , they say Kyle and Francis are sick , but I love to know I can do almost anything during the setups.
Aman Gebru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aman Gebru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2018 at 1:34pm

Sceptical about them playing 12x subs, but will definitely play 8x, better than K20.

Wrong amp if you want to drive 12x or 8x subs.

1 channel of sub, 1 channel of upper bass, and a mid channel and HF channel is what will get the best out of the X4
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2018 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Aman Gebru Aman Gebru wrote:

Wrong amp if you want to drive 12x or 8x subs.

1 channel of sub, 1 channel of upper bass, and a mid channel and HF channel is what will get the best out of the X4

X8 fares better because of the improved cooling the larger case offers but yeah, they’re designed to be used in a touring standard of spreading the workload across amplifiers. Not only is this easier on the power supply and components, but this way if an amp goes down for any reason you don’t lose all of your subs, or all of your mids, etc. Plus it means you only have to carry one type of spare and any amp can do any job.

We’ve standardised on racks of 2x X4 and 2x K20 for the time being but with proper planning of where things end up connecting then 3x X4 is the ideal. 12ch touring racks are the norm across the industry now for a reason, see the LA-RAK II, d&b D80 racks, Adamson PLM racks, TW Audio X4 racks, etc.

That said, even running all four channels on sub there’s technically still enough power in an X4 to cook almost any driver if you run it too hard. The power supply not being able to sustain the full output long term can also help prevent coil burning because the duty cycle doesn’t hold long enough to fully heat up the coil - approximately 30 seconds of a few hundred watts for many 18”.

Edited by toastyghost - 24 December 2018 at 1:55pm
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2018 at 2:04pm
Wont do subs better then K20.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2018 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Wont do subs better then K20.
I can never overstand this with it can’t do subs like K20 , I get 27hz from both amps if I want them louder I just get more amps , I h
Know ones in a while we put 8 subs on the k20, I feel 6x21” on the k20 is nuff for me . 
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2018 at 8:33pm
Used an X4 driving 2 x subs (1000w PD1852) per channel fairly recently, powered from a dedicated 32a 3ph supply and sounded quite decent doing so. Still think the K20 has a bit more oomphh mind

It got very noisy ! But it only has a small fan....... and a totally different style of fan compared to the K series

I'm fairly convinced that the X series has a nicer tone than the K series on sub, though I could be imagining things

jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2018 at 8:48pm
£3500 for a used amplifier sounds like a fortune to me, then i checked the new price....are they serious? Found one at £6500,another at £5600,then £4995. A lot of variations on price. Ermm
Be seeing you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>