Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Powersoft X4L

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2019 at 9:23am
Originally posted by tmg tmg wrote:

Going to try it with 4x 2ohm loads at the weekend and see how it handles the strain.

Would love to hear how this goes, playing Roots/Dub Reggae, with plenty of 40hz content.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
tmg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2019 at 9:24am
From what I've heard it's not quite a bridged X8. Not so simple as that. 

I've yet to have an experience with any Powersoft amp I've used where anything has felt underpowered or like the amps are constraining the systems power output in the real world. 

Also I ran a whole FOH System and 8 way monitor package last week from 6u of amps which kept my Van pack smaller and on weight. 
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2019 at 9:30am
"Think" me and mate, will be doing Rodigan again this year, in North London.

If we are, I'll be pushing to bring 6x of My 1851 loaded, Lev .44 Scoops.

Drooling at possibility, of driving them with 1x X4L.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
wilidapili View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilidapili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2019 at 2:11pm
For the price of an X4L one could get an X8. Bridged at 4ohm the rated watts per channel are higher on the X8, but peak voltage is rated higher on the X4L. I need to do more research into voltage since that’s what everybody seems to be saying actually matters. In the mean time, could somebody explain why an X4L would be a better choice than the X8 or vice versa, if we think that the price would be exactly the same? 
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2019 at 2:46pm
From what ive heard they are quite different, the X4L can run into 2 ohms, where as a X8 can run bridged into 4 ohms.  
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2019 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by wilidapili wilidapili wrote:

For the price of an X4L one could get an X8. Bridged at 4ohm the rated watts per channel are higher on the X8, but peak voltage is rated higher on the X4L. I need to do more research into voltage since that’s what everybody seems to be saying actually matters. In the meantime, could somebody explain why an X4L would be a better choice than the X8 or vice versa if we think that the price would be exactly the same? 

An X4L isn't just a bridged X8. It has a modified power supply, some changes to rails management and custom firmware to mitigate the extra load on components.

It all depends on whether you would rather have the flexibility of being able to run 8 channels on some shows, or the brute current of the X4L.

X4L should spank K20 no problem especially in terms of limiting to maximise the box, if you have the chops to build a rpoper preset. It can easily put out enough juice to murder any driver pair in any box type, make no mistake. If people actually looked into the real world thermal thresholds of their components both in and out of the box, and considered crest factor and peak output ratios for decent dynamics, rather than blinkeredly thinking they're 'giving the drivers 3000 watts each bruv' or 'it's only at 50%!' type chat, then it would be lovely.

As ever though, get one, try it for yourself.

Edited by toastyghost - 06 August 2019 at 3:21pm
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2019 at 7:49pm

I am surprised how quiet it has been in regards to this amplifier.

Powersoft claims 200v RMS with up to 300v Peaks (More like 282) with no load of course and, 8200 watts (Burst) each channel for 20mS every 500 mS @ 2 ohms.

Is it too new or too expensive why, there is no chatter on the Powersoft X4L?

Considering the K20 was introduced a decade ago, you would think there would be more chatter on this amplifier.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2019 at 8:34pm
Get some PLM instead. Then you are up to industry standard and always rider friendly.

Edited by FOO - 26 November 2019 at 8:36pm
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2019 at 9:03pm
i would say that in a professional environment either the PLM or Powersoft X platform would be accepted, unless proprietary powered system controllers are required ( L Acoustics  / D&B etc)

that said, PLM is getting a little old in the tooth now, and unfortunately the fact that none of the smaller Lab Gruppen products share the same processing / control platform isa work / headache creator, whereas all Powersoft DSP integrated products operate on the same platform.

Personally i don't have a need for the X4L, we don't have any speakers in our stock that require greater power than the X4 or X8 provide, so the X4L is of limited use. 
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2019 at 10:11pm
I would imagine only time will tell if the need of such power is wanted or not. Anyone remember when MC2 offered their E 90 amplifier around 10 years ago? It offered similar burst ratings as the Powersoft X4L in a two channel version. MC2 no longer offers the E 90. Possibly a lack of demand when it was in production, a lack of marketing, or a combination of the two. 

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 26 November 2019 at 10:13pm
Elliot Thompson
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2019 at 9:14am
Originally posted by FOO FOO wrote:

Get some PLM instead. Then you are up to industry standard and always rider friendly.

I've seen more P1 and Newton at FOH than Lake in the past year or two.
4AC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4AC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2019 at 10:23am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Originally posted by FOO FOO wrote:

I've seen more P1 and Newton at FOH than Lake in the past year or two.

uǝɿɿɐʌǝ6ɯo sı ʇsʞǝʇ ǝzǝp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>