Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - PQM 13 is louder at 1300w than UKP2100x at 2100w?!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PQM 13 is louder at 1300w than UKP2100x at 2100w?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2016 at 6:31pm
do a quick refresher on logarithmic scale vs linear scale to understand one reason why a pot being half way up won't make it half the volume.. but there's more to it than that even.
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2016 at 6:34pm
Oh my god... Is there no end to it 😂
I've not had any speaker issues in over a year doing it that way, so it must roughly cut the output in half! I'll do some reading
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2016 at 6:45pm
there is absolutely no end to it...
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2016 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by charlysays charlysays wrote:

No worries, I've got a lot more to learn there...totally crap at maths in particular.

I've got brick wall limiters in place to limit signal to 0.775v... Turning the gain pots to half makes the amp half as sensitive. So provided the limiters maintain a brick wall, the amp should be half as powerful with the pots at half way surely. Because in that setup it'd need 1.5v to clip.

As Cravings said, also doubling the voltage gives you 4 x the power (6dB), not 2 times.  
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2016 at 1:36am
Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

Originally posted by charlysays charlysays wrote:

No worries, I've got a lot more to learn there...totally crap at maths in particular.

I've got brick wall limiters in place to limit signal to 0.775v... Turning the gain pots to half makes the amp half as sensitive. So provided the limiters maintain a brick wall, the amp should be half as powerful with the pots at half way surely. Because in that setup it'd need 1.5v to clip.

As Cravings said, also doubling the voltage gives you 4 x the power (6dB), not 2 times.  

Oh dear... Good job I never tried to do that then!

Whilst I'm reading should I order a couple of nl4 male speakons so I can make a couple of bridge cables? Would that be one way of doing it?

The only thing I feel sure of now is that I know how to set the limiters to 0.775v, set a good gain structure and use the right hp and lp filters which must be why I've not come unstuck 🤔
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2016 at 2:04am
get red or green nl4s so you'll always know which end of your bridged cables are for the amp. and don't ever use that colour speakon for anything else.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2016 at 9:06am
I'm glad about this, because one thing that era of Matrix's are is LOUD
It's everything, not everythink!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2016 at 11:35am
I'm glad to hear that too nicky! Ukp2100x seems to be a cracking lightweight amp considering they can be had for less than 200 in good order.

I've ordered two red nl4 now. Been reading about the db scale, linear vs logarithmic and how it's really a ratio against a given reference. I'm still finding it confusing and it'll be a while before I do any of the formula on paper, but I can see how it'd be even worse if we just used linear scales.

With regard to preventing excessive clean power blowing a speaker and how to limit that I can see why using a gain control on the amp is not precise at all.

Would I be right in thinking that to reduce the output I should leave the limiter setting as it is (0.775v) but subtract db on the output band on the ultradrive?
So to halve the volume I'd have that LMS output gain at -6, the limiter at -22 and then I can run the amp gain flat out but not exceed 50% of the power available from the amp?
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2016 at 11:48am
Who has these for 200? Who got one? :)

It's everything, not everythink!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2016 at 11:57am
I got one for 220, the other for 180, both pretty much mint and only needing a quick clean internally ☺
You don't see them for sale much, I guess people hold onto them and I suppose if one went bang Robin would repair it reasonably.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2016 at 3:03pm
Got them working properly today... bought a couple of NL4FX in red and wired the positive to 1+ and the negative to 2+ and the output is as I imagined it to be.... physically debilitating in my small lockup and not even flat out.
It doesn't make any difference to output having channel B at zero or on full- it's out of circuit in bridge mode.

With regarding limiting output from the amps turning the gains down on the ultradrive works well. When I subtracted 6db from an output band it had a similar effect on volume as turning the amp gain down to half, so in future I'll run the gains flat out and attenuate with the ultradrive.

Edited by charlysays - 03 September 2016 at 3:10pm
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2016 at 3:17pm
good stuff.

yeah running amps fully open and using lms to control gain is the done thing. you can password lock your lms which will stop any random person turning things up more than you want.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>