Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - PQM 13 is louder at 1300w than UKP2100x at 2100w?!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PQM 13 is louder at 1300w than UKP2100x at 2100w?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2016 at 5:32pm
Well done,  ive been playing with a PQM13 this afternoon, if you set the limiter on the ultradrive to -22dB it will stop the amp clipping in 4 channel mode ( with 0.775V input sensitivity) ive not tried it in bridge yet.   
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2016 at 6:45pm
They're nice amps aren't they! Nice build quality, everything seems solid and well calibrated.
They have guts too when it comes to bass.
-22 is the one... I've had clip lights flicker when running sub off a poor supply.

Whether or not it requires the same input voltage in bridge is down to circuitry (the matrix has a different input sensitivity for different modes and impedances) but the manual doesn't mention any connection between mode and input sensitivity so I'm guessing there is circuitry in there to compensate
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2016 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

good stuff.

yeah running amps fully open and using lms to control gain is the done thing. you can password lock your lms which will stop any random person turning things up more than you want.

I've left many, many amp racks unattended over the years, the password is a god send as if all the amp gains are wound right up with limiting and gains set on the lms all people with busy fingers can do is turn it down!
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2016 at 9:10pm
although to be fair, the dbmark and xilica ones i have are kind of unintuitive.. if people start fiddling they normally just press mute buttons...
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2016 at 9:35pm
I kinda worry about input sensitivity switches, some people will fiddle with them...

Yeah quite like the PQM13 so far, not done any A/B testing with other amps yet but it seems to sound alright.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2016 at 2:15pm
if you set them at 0.77V and limit accordingly all that could happen is switching to lower sensitivity..?!
(more input required from lms/dsp so nothing in danger imo)

Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2016 at 2:59pm
Yep, Ultradrive limiters will only go down to -24dB though, so wouldn't be able so power limit if using the amp to run 1 stack, eg 2 channels bass, 1 channel low mid, 1 channel mid high, i would want the mid high limiters lower than that so would have to use a different input sensitivity setting, or use a different LMS.  Also its a bit more noise with 0.775V.
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2016 at 3:20pm
or use a XLR attenuator :) i use a -10db one on my PQM8 powering my biamped tops.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2016 at 3:22pm
Surely just leave the limiter at -22 and subtract decibels from the output band on the ultradrive. First or second page I think... seems to work for me.
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2016 at 5:46pm
That wont be safe though, turning that band down dosent stop someone increasing the level at the mixer and turning it up again, you need to set a limiter on that band at the correct level to protect the dri ver from over power, i dont want to allow 1kw+ through to a 100w mid high 8"...

Corell is right an attenuator cable is a good fix Wink.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2016 at 6:22pm
It is on my setup as I have a cloud cx335 limiting to 0.775v before the ultradrive. Without that I can see what you mean!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2016 at 11:04am
Used the matrix UKP2100Xs all night bridged into an 18nlw9000s on Friday and it was trouser flapping :) Amps blew warm air playing music with a lot of sub but never got hot at all. Very pleasing setup and sounded effortless all night!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>