Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Preamps anno 2023...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preamps anno 2023...
    Posted: 02 March 2023 at 8:55am
Hi forum,

What's a good preamp these days?

Been looking to try one out, but I don't have access to trying one as I live in country with none. It doesn't have to be the best of the best, but good and fun to play on.

Who has experience with Ras EFX? I like the look of his stuff.

Other suggestions? Would a mini one be the way to go for home use and sessions when the chance is there? What are the drawbacks of mini preamps?

Any advice welcome, thanks.

vibes92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vibes92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2023 at 1:36pm
mostec
King Simeon View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Simeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2023 at 2:09pm
A pre amp I a tool to do a job, so ideally needs to suit what you need it for. 

A traditional pre will likely blow your home speakers or slowly kill them. Mini pre may give more cost effective  result as you won't need too many extra features. 

Have you considered the software options, can use a midi controller to give a hands on feel. 
https://www.facebook.com/KingSimeonSound?ref=stream     
https://soundcloud.com/king-simeon
JamesH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2023 at 5:35pm
AmpFreqq is killer software , I'd check that out for a start
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2023 at 11:56pm
Go for a known builder such as Mostec or Jah Tubbys if you want a reliable preamp and any chance of selling later should you want to upgrade in the future..

Reverence Sound system

DamballaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamballaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2023 at 8:04am
We used a ras efx preamp for a good while, they're decent. Fairly neutral sounding preamp, build quality is good like all of his gear. Have since moved on to a mostec though.

For home use a mini preamp is probably the most logical, I personally use either a 3 way mostec or 90's 3 way Jah Tubbys at home and it's been more than fine. 
Maze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2023 at 10:09am
Thanks all for the answers.

I'll check out the AmpFreqq too. That looks like a great option for club gigs as well.

King Simeon mentioned the signal from a preamp being too hot for home setups. Is this also an issue when you run it into a DSP?

My current setup for outdoor events is 4xsubs + 4xTops +DSP and two amps.

For a long time I thought that a preamp had to match the speaker boxes, so say a 4 way preamp would only match a 4 way speaker system. However, a friend said they run their preamp through a DSP. This is actually why I changed my mind about getting a preamp. The reason I want a preamp is to have the options of kill switches and other all the fun sound shaping features etc.

A mini or AmpFreq might be the more sensible choice though, since most my gigs are in clubs and my own speakers are in storage most of the time.
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2023 at 1:00pm
Most preamps have a mix/full range output also so it doesnt have to be a 4way setup etc
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
Norseman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2023 at 9:32am
hey mate
ii have the RAS EFX 5RU 4 way pre, its good, it doesn't add "tone" or "colour" beyond how you apply your EQ and so on, so in that regard its v transparent but the kills are super tight and it has a fullrange output also as well as the 4 way mono outs
Maze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2023 at 7:46am
Thanks for the info Norseman, the Ras EFX stays on my short list of options. I'm also looking into the Mostec, I think it will end up being one or the other.
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2023 at 11:35am
Klementz 1u stereo preamp is pretty good !
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2023 at 12:27pm
i'm glad you made this topic because i can finally ask:

wtf does a preamp actually do in a contemporary sound system? what's the point?

tone control?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>