Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Events and Ting
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - PressureChek 3- Ballistic - Volcano - S.S.P - RC1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PressureChek 3- Ballistic - Volcano - S.S.P - RC1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 4:22pm
Unfortunatly Ballistic was General alone as i was ill and didnt even get outa bed till 21:00! From all of the reviews iv heard im pleased that general played the sound as it should be played. As i said before, frequency over loudness. Considering general had to select and tune the set etc he done a good job from all the feedback iv been. Cant really comment as i wasnt there so this is mainly just an apology and a reason as to why i couldnt be there as many had asked on the night.
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by luton_soundman luton_soundman wrote:

Unfortunatly Ballistic was General alone as i was ill and didnt even get outa bed till 21:00! From all of the reviews iv heard im pleased that general played the sound as it should be played. As i said before, frequency over loudness. Considering general had to select and tune the set etc he done a good job from all the feedback iv been. Cant really comment as i wasnt there so this is mainly just an apology and a reason as to why i couldnt be there as many had asked on the night.

Thumbs UpYing Yang

edit.I tried to search some videos but didnt find any yet!

Edited by app - 14 December 2015 at 4:33pm
"what!?"
AJ Sound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 5:25pm
100% agree with Word. All were way TOO LOUD!!!

Ballistic -Non corner loaded, sounded good, best tops out of all sounds on the night for me they had a nice warm bass that was pushed to its limits a few times. The void amp he was using on sub reminded me when Iration steppas use to play in Brixton recs and the previous session they used their new shortman box's with a Links amp on sub and let me tell you they did sound good but the following session they used the Void on sub and yes they were very loud but lost some heavyweight low.

Also agree to a point. Tops seemed to be better than the rest because they weren't playing as loud as the rest but that was probably the worst I heard Ballistic play. Last GP outing was way better. could hear the Void amp bottoming out a few times on the sub too. but overall they were ok.

RC1 - Corner loaded, When I first arrived Ballistic was playing but did not realise that RC1 had started their round the only difference was the floor was jerking more from the back of the hall where I was standing. Not sure about the sharing talk as all the information on RC1 has been on speakerplans for all to see, never seen aba shanti share information with Jah Voice etc, etc. Got to say I don't know of any sound system using 15" (They are twin 18" Not 15". anyone says different is lying. seen it myself outside at the end of the dance. Just press on the grill and you see the impression of the driverWink)speakers on sub sound the way they do, so well done. p.s need to work on your selection when you enter these types of arenaThumbs Up

Probably the biggest let down for me on the night. This is my first time hearing them and from what i read on here and FB about them was expecting a lot more. 12 x 18" drivers on sub should have devastated that place. For me they were just loud with no sub content. Mid and tops were just too harsh. For a so called pro outfit, I expected much better.

Volcano - Corner loaded and more - I remember hearing Volcano at Golden palace with their 5"scoops and I was not moved by what I heard. A friend said he had heard Volcano with their new boxes and they were kicking. Again on the night they still could not pull it together and let me tell you they remind me of King Earthquake playing in Brixton rec , it took him many attempts before he got it right and unleashed the mighty thunder that cracked the ceiling. Volcano will have their day.
p.s was Volcano using Powersoft on subs?.

WOW!!! WHY!!! No need for such a big stack in such a small place. First half of the evening they were just too heavy. I could not stay in the room. System beeing pushed far too hard. Then afterwards they switched up the stack and I think I heard someone saying only 4 subs now playing. Sounded a lot better then. Still too loud imo for that venue but the pressure was crazy. If they were using only 4 subs then, well done. At the end they seemed to have had some issues.
and yes I could see Powersoft X series and K series in the rack. Looked like 2 x K20s a X8 and a X4

SSP - Non corner loaded - With the smallest stack they managed to get that thing to play, powered by QSC amps they sounded good, someone told me that their box was loaded with 21" on sub?
yes SSP played couple specials to keep things bouncing nice.

How did you work out they had the smallest stack? They Had 6 x 21 while Ballistic had 4 x 18???
Also they were powered by a Powersoft K20. I think only mids were on QSC.
For me they were the best overall once they started to play some decent tunes. Could have done with a bit more mids to balance it off or take off 2 of the subs maybe as it was too damn heavy. Last round they played was crazy!!!!

Would have been nice if we had a little mic banter from some of the sounds apart from hearing tish, tish, boom, boom all evening.

100% agree. Whole night too damn boring. No mic vibes.

9.00 caretaker told all sounds to turn down as they were damaging the buildingThumbs Down should have called it a demolition danceSmile

I was at the door when the men from the council came and told them to turn it downShocked

Edited by AJ Sound - 14 December 2015 at 5:26pm
wiz247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 6:04pm
Here goes!!
All sound in that place had sufficient SPL, nobody lacked. What seem to be the operators contention was in the tweeking, to get the all-round balance and sound they were looking for, be it good or bad to one's  ears, but that is subjective.
When homes came in and tell the man them to turn it down, that was the best part, for at times some were taking the piss!! 
WE LIKE SOUND BIG AND HEAVY, BUT YOU CAN'T BE TEARING DOWN PEOPLES' PREMISES WITH IT, OR SH!T WILL GET LOCKED DOWN!!
 However when it all got under control, what I heard was how good these rigs can sound when played in moderation and can still maintain being heavyweight, full and crisp.
Imo: Ballistic maybe weren't the heaviest on that day but they had the sizzle(tops) I like on a sound, and tunes  were top draw. They just run the set cool and deadly.
SSP- what they did with four boxes, sounded just as heavy as Volcano's monster stack, and seemed to have a good overall  balanced in sound. I liked what I heard, and it did wow me.
RC1- When they weren't being stupidly loud, their set sounded good and full and can hear and feel the fullness of their set at a good distance down the room.
Volcano's bass was clean and deep, which sounded much better than them horrid scoops. They could have suffice with just four bins for that place, pity the mid top section didn't come up to par. But if it did, no doubt they wouldn't disappoint. 
Overall, well done to all for lugging your machines near and far to showcase, in the place.

Edited by wiz247 - 14 December 2015 at 6:27pm
ermita View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ermita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 6:40pm
Agree 100% with what wiz247 said.

Just surprised volcano didnt stack the kick then splay tops better on top.

Got a few pics but dont know how to post it here from my phone☺️
wiz247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by RC1 Sound System RC1 Sound System wrote:

Last night was great fun.

I was really impressed with what Ballistic did with his 4 scoops and the authentic roots sound he was producing.  SSP sounded good too and certainly shook the hall up impressively from their six 21 inch horns.  Volcano's 24 inch horns are crazy, and they managed some really heavy content at times, but unfortunately were plagued with a few technical problems.

Shame about the noise issues later on.  We had some heavy tunes lined up for the last hour and I was going to get a bit competitive and try to drive the pressure up, but just as I started to do so the "Noise Police" made us turn it down Cry

Never mind I thought, when it comes to the last couple of tunes at the end I'll just say f**k it and go crazy anyway, but then the Noise Police came back and shut us 30 mins early Cry  Oh well, there's always next time!

We're obviously not a roots/reggae system, so I certainly cannot pretend to be authentic, or competent or experienced in that world, so in that regard it was really nice that we were welcomed to bring our "PA rig" in to such a party.  Thanks to everyone in the scene for taking making us so welcome Smile

After us not being allowed to drive the weight up at the end and Volcano having some technical issues maybe that's a good reason for RC1 and Volcano to meet again another day..... Big smile
It would be good to make that happen, you both got adequate machines to do the job> Get your best technicians and music selectors on the frontline, it doesn't have to be strictly roots, a mix of house, dnb, techno, anything dance...on the night, and make a party of it.

Edited by wiz247 - 14 December 2015 at 7:01pm
messagemusic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote messagemusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 7:35pm
SSP and ballistic the best sounds on the night for me.
AJ Sound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by messagemusic messagemusic wrote:

SSP and ballistic the best sounds on the night for me.
Thumbs Up
AJ Sound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by wiz247 wiz247 wrote:

Here goes!!
All sound in that place had sufficient SPL, nobody lacked. What seem to be the operators contention was in the tweeking, to get the all-round balance and sound they were looking for, be it good or bad to one's  ears, but that is subjective.
When homes came in and tell the man them to turn it down, that was the best part, for at times some were taking the piss!! 
WE LIKE SOUND BIG AND HEAVY, BUT YOU CAN'T BE TEARING DOWN PEOPLES' PREMISES WITH IT, OR SH!T WILL GET LOCKED DOWN!!
 However when it all got under control, what I heard was how good these rigs can sound when played in moderation and can still maintain being heavyweight, full and crisp.
Imo: Ballistic maybe weren't the heaviest on that day but they had the sizzle(tops) I like on a sound, and tunes  were top draw. They just run the set cool and deadly.
SSP- what they did with four boxes, sounded just as heavy as Volcano's monster stack, and seemed to have a good overall  balanced in sound. I liked what I heard, and it did wow me.
RC1- When they weren't being stupidly loud, their set sounded good and full and can hear and feel the fullness of their set at a good distance down the room.
Volcano's bass was clean and deep, which sounded much better than them horrid scoops. They could have suffice with just four bins for that place, pity the mid top section didn't come up to par. But if it did, no doubt they wouldn't disappoint. 
Overall, well done to all for lugging your machines near and far to showcase, in the place.

SSP had 6 x 21" subs

Last half of the night Volcano only had 4 subs playing

AJ Sound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by ermita ermita wrote:

Agree 100% with what wiz247 said.

Just surprised volcano didnt stack the kick then splay tops better on top.

Got a few pics but dont know how to post it here from my phone☺️

I asked the same question too, and was told the tops are actually a line array setup inside, which explain why the change up half way through. It did have me puzzled before that was explained.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 8:18pm
^
lol, the setup of the tops just looks plain wrong, be it point source or line array (which i doubt tbh)..

you cant ignore basic physics.
both corner loaded systems have a massive advantage compared to the other two on sub.. which makes it almost impossible to judge objectively..

regarding spl, it seems the norm in uk that its loudness over quality according to my few experiences - and then you wonder why venues get shut down ;)
i am not faint hearted when it comes to spl but it should be pleasant without immediate grab for earplugs imo..
wiz247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by AJ Sound AJ Sound wrote:

Originally posted by wiz247 wiz247 wrote:

Here goes!!

SSP had 6 x 21" subs

Last half of the night Volcano only had 4 subs playing

Ok. I assumed the four green boxes were on sub and the one's above them were used for lower mid, and I wasn't going to go up close and personal to find out whilst they were on. It's any wonder 6 x 21" nearly shook the sh*t outta me... Still like the sound of em.LOL

So what is Volcano packing in them monsters, 24"?

Edited by wiz247 - 14 December 2015 at 8:58pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>