Print Page | Close Window

new setup help required please

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: Plans
Forum Name: New Projects Forum
Forum Description: Forum for new speakerplans projects, in memory of Tony Wilkes, 1953 - 2014
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=101272
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 4:37pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: new setup help required please
Posted By: djdavej
Subject: new setup help required please
Date Posted: 06 February 2018 at 8:19am
advice greatly accepted here,
.Ihave a pair of Celestion KR 10 speakers,200w 8 ohms i love them,inputs appear to be 1 speakon and the type where you put the red and black wires in,not sure what there called.I would like to run a sub along with these.The mixer im using is a Numark DXM06 with balanced out left and right phone connectors -rca master out and rca record out.No XLR outputs.The speakers dont appear to have ouputs only inputs,but ide really like to keep and use them.Ide like to build a setup around the Celestions,and add a sub.I have not yet purchased an amp or amps,ide like to hear what options are open first.Im doing my homework ,gonna try and get some ideas off you people on what route to go,ideally keeping what ive got.Im hoping a 600w sub might compliment the KR 10s.Your ideas greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

Replies:
Posted By: nickyburnell
Date Posted: 06 February 2018 at 8:55am
You need some form of crossover to split the frequencies (sub-mid/high)  Approx 100hz. Or you need a powered sub and an amp for the tops.

Simple option would be an iNuke (3000 or 6000) with DSP. Use it with both inputs summed (mono). So one side for the tops, one for the sub(s) and set the DSP to cross over at around 100hz

Failing that two amps or 4 channel and a crossover or DSP. Behringer DCX2496 is the starting point

Any simple 15 or 18 sub will do, just reflex. Look for used W Audio, Yamaha, EV, Peavey or an NJD 18 these have Celestion drivers.  You WILL want two subs later though, promise :)

For example, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Martin-Audio-EM201-18-Single-sub-subwoofers/292418624454?hash=item4415821bc6:g:NJkAAOSwxixaLVVh" rel="nofollow - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Martin-Audio-EM201-18-Single-sub-subwoofers/292418624454?hash=item4415821bc6:g:NJkAAOSwxixaLVVh

-------------
It's everything, not everythink!

Posted By: dlyxover
Date Posted: 06 February 2018 at 10:12am
Same as nicky said.

If you get suck let me know, were in the same city.

-------------
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth

Posted By: Meat
Date Posted: 06 February 2018 at 11:09am
Originally posted by dlyxover dlyxover wrote:

Bit personal innit?

-------------
Don't test the champignon sound

Date Posted: 06 February 2018 at 2:08pm
Many thanks for your time and input people,gonna now start reading about the ideas you put forward.
Smile.It solid ground to start building  with that information.

Date Posted: 06 February 2018 at 7:20pm
LOLLOLLOL
Originally posted by Meat Meat wrote:

Originally posted by dlyxover dlyxover wrote:

Bit personal innit?
LOLLOLLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 02 May 2018 at 2:29pm
hi again,
decided that im gonna go with 2 subs not one,been doing some reading and you said i probably would later,so going with it now.Still in the planning stage,but two top/mids and two subs seems the way to go.putting a mobile road show together again after a 30 yr break but getting excited about it all lol.Got my decks mixer speaker stands tops/mids and working on my music catalogue aswell.Which brings me back to my questions.The Celestion KR 10 200w 8 ohm speakers i have only have one speakon input and pins where you can attach red and black wires.The plan is left channel 1 sub and the cel
estion,right channel, 1 sub and the celestion.would i be able to run a cable  for each channel from a stereo amp first to a crossover then to the sub with two speakon connections then tothe tops with the single speakon connection,of course same for both sides.Many thanks for your help

Posted By: krazyneil
Date Posted: 03 May 2018 at 7:33pm
your crossover sits between mixer and amp ,so the crossover is basically telling the amp what frequency to send to the speakers
so the outputs from your mixer go into you active crossover
outputs from the crossover to the inputs of the amps
one amp for bass , one for tops

there are some amps that have inbuilt crossover like the peavey pv range and Mackie fr which split the frequencies at say 125hz so doing the job of the crossover in the chain
you only need one speakon input on each cab as youll have one channel per speaker
I personally wouldn't use subs and bass of each side of an amp mainly because im a perfectionist and music isn't always recoded the same on both sides ,so you could miss out on certain thing in tracks by running a mono sytem

-------------
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!

Date Posted: 03 May 2018 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by krazyneil krazyneil wrote:

I personally wouldn't use subs and bass of each side of an amp mainly because im a perfectionist and music isn't always recorded the same on both sides ,so you could miss out on certain thing in tracks by running a mono sytem

Unless you sum the signal and there is another can of worms.Big smile

http://www.rane.com/note109.html

Or a simple solution

https://www.studiospares.com/Deals/Studiospares-Red-Series/Studiospares-RED503-Passive-Line-Combiner_458220.htm

-------------

Date Posted: 04 May 2018 at 3:34am
Thanks again for you taking time to help and reply. First I seem to be misunderstanding something here. You say personally you would use subs and bass on each side of an amp, I thought subs and bass were the same thing e.g a sub is a bass bin. Please point out the error of my ways. Now I got my idea from looking at a shop which hires out disco gear and it was a 1kw rig using tops and a bass bin on both sides using only 1 amp that was a 1kw stereo. Sounded simple , your suggestion is one amp  for top and 1 amp for bass. Help me out here but I thought 1 amp better cheaper and efficient. Your thought please and again thanks, I’m happy to learn

Date Posted: 04 May 2018 at 3:39am
should have read
Personally I wouldn’t use subs and bass on the same side of an amp

Posted By: 4D
Date Posted: 04 May 2018 at 8:49am
crossovers are either active or passive.  Active are mains powered and act to split the frequency bands before the amplifier whilst passive are non powered and split the frequency after the amp..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_crossover" rel="nofollow - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_crossover

-------------
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"

Posted By: Hemisphere
Date Posted: 04 May 2018 at 9:55am
Pretty sure he meant 'subs and tops', or 'bass and tops' - not to run the system in mono in case you lose something in the process, which you will - and possibly a lot unless you sum the signal, which is possible as Nickyburnell suggested.

As for the difference between bass and sub, technically sub bass shouldn't be called bass, because it literally means 'below bass'. People use sub and bass interchangeably for most low frequencies, but sometimes separate them where appropriate (ie if a system has separate speakers for subs and bass)

Where you draw the line between bass and sub bass depends on context. I reckon 'bass' is properly anything down to 41Hz, that being the lowest fundamental generally used by physical instruments, but the line seems to hover around 45-60Hz depending on the scale of system and who you're asking.

Just to confuse things, 'sub' is also a colloqualism for 'the speaker producing the lowest range in the system' (because 'sub' on it's own just means 'below' - a speaker playing 70-120Hz is still the 'sub' to the main speakers in a small hifi system despite not playing any sub bass at all by any reasonable standard).

To confuse things even further, the term 'sub' has been so widely abused that a new term 'infrabass' has come into use - I think it was an invention of the F1 marketing department. That just means sub bass, something their actual 'subs' aren't very good at producing. 

-------------
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zc4bGkU05o" rel="nofollow - Profit!

Posted By: krazyneil
Date Posted: 05 May 2018 at 1:06am
Originally posted by djdavej djdavej wrote:

Thanks again for you taking time to help and reply. First I seem to be misunderstanding something here. You say personally you would use subs and bass on each side of an amp, I thought subs and bass were the same thing e.g a sub is a bass bin. Please point out the error of my ways. Now I got my idea from looking at a shop which hires out disco gear and it was a 1kw rig using tops and a bass bin on both sides using only 1 amp that was a 1kw stereo. Sounded simple , your suggestion is one amp  for top and 1 amp for bass. Help me out here but I thought 1 amp better cheaper and efficient. Your thought please and again thanks, I’m happy to learn

sorry for the confusion slip of the fingers ,I meant subs and tops from each channel of one amp

if you buy subs with passive crossovers fitted you can then get away with using one amp for the system as you suggested

I thought you wanted to build some subs hence the active crossover and two amps answer

so if you bought subs with crossover fitted you would run from the amp into the subs and then link from the sub to the tops ,depending on the subs you use they may or may not have link out with a cutoff like 125hz, so they split the frequencies or might just be a full range output

-------------
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!

Posted By: jammin75
Date Posted: 05 May 2018 at 11:04am
Originally posted by djdavej djdavej wrote:

advice greatly accepted here,
.Ihave a pair of Celestion KR 10 speakers,200w 8 ohms i love them,inputs appear to be 1 speakon and the type where you put the red and black wires in,not sure what there called.I would like to run a sub along with these.The mixer im using is a Numark DXM06 with balanced out left and right phone connectors -rca master out and rca record out.No XLR outputs.The speakers dont appear to have ouputs only inputs,but ide really like to keep and use them.Ide like to build a setup around the Celestions,and add a sub.I have not yet purchased an amp or amps,ide like to hear what options are open first.Im doing my homework ,gonna try and get some ideas off you people on what route to go,ideally keeping what ive got.Im hoping a 600w sub might compliment the KR 10s.Your ideas greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

hi there i have the kr8's  the inputs run parallel or you could use a speakon splitter i take these out sumtimes very potent for their size i run them from 110hz and up i use a inuke 6000dsp  i run 2 midtops on one channel and 2 subs from the other channel you can sum the inputs or run mono its your choice personally stereo for home or studio use Tongue

-------------
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:59am
Again thanks for your inputs people, very kind of you.Ive been busy reading trying to educate myself about putting a decent sound system together suitable for doing weddings . That’s my target area, so the system needs to be suitable for them needs , catering from anything like 100-300 people.As stated I’ve got my decks and mixer and two Celestion KR 10 200w 8 ohm speakers which I love with a passion. My mixer is a Numark DXM06 and the outputs available are 
Balanced left and right out
Record left and right out
Master left and right out
What I would like to do is obtain another pair of KR 10s , run the top/miss on one amp giving 400 w left 400 w right.
Then a separate amp and run 500w each side bass.
Would this be a reasonable idea ?
The two amp thing appeals to me so it’s not asking to much work load of a single amp, plus in the event two is better than one.Would I be able to do this with the outputs available from the mixer ?
My only concern to this plan is the KR 10s only have one speakon input  and binding posts red and black. So big question ???
How would I set them up 2 KR 10s left and right giving 800w output in total and what amp would I need ? 2000w 1000w each channel ?
How would I run them together considering them only having one speakon input ?
Series ? Parallel ?
I have a dream lol- be nice if I could get this to work together.I really want to stay with the KR 10s
and another pair may be available to me hence the plan
Any advice as always wil be gratefully accepted

Date Posted: 12 January 2019 at 7:58am
Hi All
happy new year.Been busy working and saving towards buying more gear.its coming together now.Have purchased the following items in addition to the 2 KR10s i already own so now i have

4 KR 10s 200w rms 8 ohms to power these a Crown XLS 1502 -525 w per channel@ 4ohms using a speakon splitter.

2 Peavey UL 115 bass bins 500w rms each @4ohms-power these Crown XLS 2500 775w per channel      l  @4ohms.

Just looking at cables to rig them all up,looking at sattellite  35mm poles to mount 2 KR10s onto the bassbins. 2 KR10s on tripods giving a little flexability to move them around.

Gonna look at the best way to set up the amps for frequencys etc.So does this sound reasonable people ?

I have a dream and its coming together slowly.Any advice please ? 

Posted By: mini-mad
Date Posted: 12 January 2019 at 1:54pm
I 've had a pair of the UL115 bass bins and found removing the internal crossover and loading them with fane 15xb drivers gave a deeper and warmer sound...

But to set up nicely you will require some sort of active crossover

-------------
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.

Date Posted: 13 January 2019 at 6:04am
Thanks for your input.The two amps ive bought both have the ability to set your crossover up youself at whatever frequencys you desire , both are class D amps. with built in crossovers and filters .Now i dont really understand the finer workings of these amps so im going to have to start doing some research and reading on how to set up and get the best sound from the new equipment ive now got. Im not sure yet if the Peavey UL 115s have got built in crossovers or not, and if so if i can set them up using my new amps.Open to advice here ppl, so thanks for any input in advance.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net