URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=102698
Printed Date: 23 April 2024 at 8:36pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Amp for running 6x Oberton XB1500
Posted By: junoprobelaunch
Subject: Amp for running 6x Oberton XB1500
Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 4:16am
Hi
Soon I will be looking to purchase a high power sub amplifier to power six WSXs modded to fit an Oberton XB1500. I was originally looking at an FFA 10000 but upon realising that the Obertons were in fact 1500watts, I am back to the drawing board! I intend to purchase this amp second hand and have a budget of around £1200-£1600 (so not a K20 ;-;). Have looked at an E90 but people on here don't have alot of good things to say about them!

Replies:
Posted By: White Noise
Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 7:16am
We have used FFA 10k for 1700 w b&c's before now... surprising how much punch they pack

Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 12:25pm
How would you actually run them though? At 4r you wouldn't be giving them any headroom and at 2.66 you'd be underpowering

Posted By: corell
Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 2:44pm
there is no such thing as underpowering in Speakers.
Even the often repeated danger of clipping is only a Problem because it may decrease the crest factor from 1,41 (sine wave) down to almost 1 and therefor, the amp might actually overpower the Long term handling of the Speaker when the limiters were set for program power.
In a Front Loaded Horn however, you Need to set a RMS or true power limiter at 1/3 of RMS power handling, otherwise you will burn your Speakers with heavy bass Music material.
so following the same rule most People suggest (having double the power / +3dB headroom for the Peaks in the Signal above Long term power handling), you would be looking for an amp capable of 3000w per channel into 2,7 Ohm.

Please note that i personally will say (and have allready said and beeing shot down for it) that there is no sense behind the "double rms power for amps" rule. Sure, it is crucial to have headroom! But +3dB? thats a joke when you look at Music waveforms. Either go 6-10dB (surprisingly, thats how the pros run their rigs, amp max output vs. Long term power to the speakers...)or you might aswell just go for a cheaper amp with 0db headroom above RMS power handling. Thats just my opinion though!

Posted By: toastyghost
Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 3:10pm
1/4 power for horns, 1/3 for reflex is my general rule. Or less. It depends on the box.

Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by corell corell wrote:

there is no such thing as underpowering in Speakers.
Even the often repeated danger of clipping is only a Problem because it may decrease the crest factor from 1,41 (sine wave) down to almost 1 and therefor, the amp might actually overpower the Long term handling of the Speaker when the limiters were set for program power.
In a Front Loaded Horn however, you Need to set a RMS or true power limiter at 1/3 of RMS power handling, otherwise you will burn your Speakers with heavy bass Music material.
so following the same rule most People suggest (having double the power / +3dB headroom for the Peaks in the Signal above Long term power handling), you would be looking for an amp capable of 3000w per channel into 2,7 Ohm.

Please note that i personally will say (and have allready said and beeing shot down for it) that there is no sense behind the "double rms power for amps" rule. Sure, it is crucial to have headroom! But +3dB? thats a joke when you look at Music waveforms. Either go 6-10dB (surprisingly, thats how the pros run their rigs, amp max output vs. Long term power to the speakers...)or you might aswell just go for a cheaper amp with 0db headroom above RMS power handling. Thats just my opinion though!

While I agree that double RMS + 3db is an extorniate amount of power to feed drivers, I struggle to believe that any more than 1/3 would kill drivers. I generally feed mine 1.5x RMS with careful limting settings.

Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

1/4 power for horns, 1/3 for reflex is my general rule. Or less. It depends on the box.

This goes against everything I've ever read regarding how much power to feed drivers ! So you're suggesting I feed the Obertons 375 watts of power? That seems crazy!

Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 3:21pm
Or were you refering to their program power meaning you reccomend 1000? Seems a bit less baffling but even still...

Posted By: Timebomb
Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 4:48pm
He is referring to long term RMS "power",  an 1000W AES rated driver with say 5.2 ohm RE cold is tested at 72V RMS, when you consider how much resistance increases when the driver is pushed close to the edge the actual current flowing is not so much,  you can blow a 1000W rated driver with 3-400W of actual power, or less.  

Big amps are great for high output as actual program material has a high crest factor, but it is still best to use an RMS limiter set much lower so you dont feed the drivers too much power.

-------------
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk

Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 4:51pm
A lot of the time when people say "i feed x drivers with 1000W" thats not really whats happening,  it might be an amp capable of giveing 90V rms at 8 ohms / "1000W"  at clip but with signal crest factor and resistance rise they might only be getting 100W of actual power.  

-------------

Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 4:53pm
So how is one supposed to work out how much power is optimal to feed drivers?

Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 4:55pm
Thank you though Time bomb that was very helpful

Posted By: Jo bg
Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 4:57pm
That's for long term heating control and will Kick in after seconds i think.
Your "1500 watt" speaker is rated to survive 2 HOURS, in OPEN  AIR and with a 6 db crest factor signal (somebody correct this if wrong!).
Now with some modern music is not uncommon to see 3db or even less crest factor in bass, so this brings your speaker to 750 watt before meltdown, but still for two hours and in cool open air. Enclose it in a box that keeps the heat inside and run it for 12 hours straight and 750 watt will still cook it. So 1/4 for horns and 1/3 for reflex boxes, that are obviously vented seems safe (and pros like Toasty or Danley engineers say this, not me).
Ideally your limiting should allow levels to rise with higher crest factor material, so better dsp allow you to have 
- a quick peak kimiter , could be around program or even more, depends on the enclosure, the goal is to keep excursion in check and protect speakers from very fast transients that could cause mechanical damage
-an rms limiter that lets fast transients (like a kick drum) tru to preserve dynamics, timing (as always) is frequency dependent. This keeps the average level in a safe thermal zone but allows more through than the last
-thermal limiter , very attack long times, maybe 5 6 seconds under 100Hz, kicks in only when the threshold is reached for a long time, so only with high duty cycle/low crest factor  program.

Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 5:05pm
Actual power is a tricky one,  but as Kyle said about 1/4 if the rating is around about where most drivers are close to the edge.

Drivers are rated in voltage,  as per AES test these days,  those obertons are tested at 89V RMS long term, so setting a limiter a little below that should keep them safe, bear in mind they are tested in free air so in a small closed chamber they will build up heat more easily.

What amp you use is up to you, the higher the voltage the louder they will get but a carefully set RMS limiter should keep them safe thermally.

Unfortunately most budget processors do not have an RMS limiter, just a peak limiter,  i am working on a solution for that ;)

-------------

Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Jo bg Jo bg wrote:

Your "1500 watt" speaker is rated to survive 2 HOURS, in OPEN  AIR and with a 6 db crest factor signal (somebody correct this if wrong!).
Now with some modern music is not uncommon to see 3db or even less crest factor in bass, so this brings your speaker to 750 watt before meltdown, but still for two hours and in cool open air. Enclose it in a box that keeps the heat inside and run it for 12 hours straight and 750 watt will still cook it. So 1/4 for horns and 1/3 for reflex boxes, that are obviously vented seems safe (and pros like Toasty or Danley engineers say this, not me).
Ideally your limiting should allow levels to rise with higher crest factor material, so better dsp allow you to have 
- a quick peak kimiter , could be around program or even more, depends on the enclosure, the goal is to keep excursion in check and protect speakers from very fast transients that could cause mechanical damage
-an rms limiter that lets fast transients (like a kick drum) tru to preserve dynamics, timing (as always) is frequency dependent. This keeps the average level in a safe thermal zone but allows more through than the last
-thermal limiter , very attack long times, maybe 5 6 seconds under 100Hz, kicks in only when the threshold is reached for a long time, so only with high duty cycle/low crest factor  program.

Yes 6dB crest factor pink noise is used but you will not find much music program with long term crest factors much lower than that, 3dB is a continual sine wave mastered at 0dB and despite what people say im yet to find a tune with that in, there is always some dynamic.  

The 1500W rating is v^2/re ,   on the old AES test it was V^2/ nominal impedance but they changed to so they could give bigger numbers, and now more high power bass drivers are designed with a lower RE to exploit this and yeild a bigger power number...  but 89Vrms ^2 / RE is "1500w" program is defined as 2x that and peak is 4x, as the 6dB crest factor signal will have peaks at 178V / "6000W"

-------------

Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 5:21pm
It depends a lot on what amp / dsp you have, not many have the luxury of three way limiting like described, so often you have to compromise.
But you should look for at least a peak and an rms limiter to still protect the system without loosing too much performance.

Some amplifiers have good voltage or clip limiters, that if correctly sized can substitute peak limiters. 

You can check excursion in hornresp for your horn driver combination to find the power level where it's excursion limited and use it to find your peak limiter settings . Considering power conpression and the fact that xmax is not yet the point of mechanical failure you could squeeze something more than calculated here, but remember that between 1000 and 1500 watts there is less that 2 dB of difference, so decide if it's worth.

For rms limiting ... Go with the pros, if you want it safe 1/4 of power as it's f or a horn with closed chamber, and rise it up to 1/2 power if you are feeling brave , keeping things in control and have a high crest factor signal, but at 1/2 power you can allready cook  drivers with the right track, or a long session. If the amp lights stay on all the time and don't flicker up and down is a good signal of low crest factor (or slow leds), and a warning to lower the limiter back to 1/4. 

Don t get too worried about leaving 3 theoretical dB on the table, there is not so much difference , it will probably sound better and last till the end of the night making you and the crowd happier than a short party and smoked drivers. 

Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 5:30pm
Worth noting that there is a big difference between and RMS power limiter like you get on the powersofts, and and RMS voltage limiter, for RMS power around 1/4 power is about the limit for most drivers, for an RMS voltage limiter the drivers are rated at 89Vrms in free air so in a reflex / vented cabinet 70Vrms should be fairly safe.

-------------

Posted By: nickyburnell
Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

A lot of the time when people say "i feed x drivers with 1000W" thats not really whats happening,  it might be an amp capable of giveing 90V rms at 8 ohms / "1000W"  at clip but with signal crest factor and resistance rise they might only be getting 100W of actual power.  

Hallelujah Clap

And that's why some great systems still run off 900w PPX's etc...Just well looked after systems kept out of danger zone. A few DB down at peaks that's all

-------------
It's everything, not everythink!

Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 5:47pm

Worth noting that there is a big difference between and RMS power limiter like you get on the powersofts, and and RMS voltage limiter, for RMS power around 1/4 power is about the limit for most drivers, for an RMS voltage limiter the drivers are rated at 89Vrms in free air so in a reflex / vented cabinet 70Vrms should be fairly safe.

Maybe i got you wrong, but doesn't this relate more to the time constants involved than in power limiter vs voltage limiter?
I can call it 1100 watts power or 89 volts into 7.2 ohm , am I missing something? (I think you know more than me, not being a prick)
the power limiters are set lower because supposed to kick in later and protect from heat buildup, while the rms limiter, set higher, will keep the driver close to where it's happy but still not protecting fully from intense and continuous abuse.

If you don't have powersoft or linea you have to choose between extreme safety , so setting your rms limiter to 1/4 to act as a power limiter, or give it a higher limit to do rms limiting , but you are now allowing some risk.

Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 6:00pm

It seems like all of those limiters are vitally important, yet, to my knowledge, only very high end DSPs have them. Is there any way i can set such limiting with a dbmark DP24?

Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 6:15pm
Reading through this just reminds me how complicated and confusing this buisness is lol. Just as I thought I had a really solid grasp on how much power to feed drivers and limiting etc you guys come up with all that hahaha. May take me a couple reads through but all the input is appreciated.

Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 6:24pm

Maybe i got you wrong, but doesn't this relate more to the time constants involved than in power limiter vs voltage limiter?
I can call it 1100 watts power or 89 volts into 7.2 ohm , am I missing something? (I think you know more than me, not being a prick)
the power limiters are set lower because supposed to kick in later and protect from heat buildup, while the rms limiter, set higher, will keep the driver close to where it's happy but still not protecting fully from intense and continuous abuse.

If you don't have powersoft or linea you have to choose between extreme safety , so setting your rms limiter to 1/4 to act as a power limiter, or give it a higher limit to do rms limiting , but you are now allowing some risk.

Kind of, an RMS voltage limiter will protect from long term abuse, that is what they are for, and set right they are in effect are a power limiter.

The difference with those "true power" limiters is they are actually measuring current delivered, so can calculate the actual power delivered to the speakers and be set as a power rating rather than a voltage rating.  imo they are not really required as it can be very hard to say how much "true power" a speaker can take, and drivers are rated in RMS voltage anyway. 

An RMS voltage limiter set at 70V will act similarly to the true power limiter set at 1/4 power as those points are both around about the same, when the coil warms up 70V long term RMS limit into say 12 ohms is only about 400W of real power, and resistance will get higher than that as the coil gets hotter, when the coil is cooler then it will let more power / current flow, as resistance is lower, drivers in effect compress the actual power level drawn but if you get them to hot they will blow, there is a point of diminishing returns though. 

-------------

Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by junoprobelaunch junoprobelaunch wrote:

Reading through this just reminds me how complicated and confusing this buisness is lol. Just as I thought I had a really solid grasp on how much power to feed drivers and limiting etc you guys come up with all that hahaha. May take me a couple reads through but all the input is appreciated.

There is a lot of things people say and ways manufacturers specify things that can make it confusing,  if you try to forget power and think of it in volts it gets simpler,  unfortunately with a DP24 the best you can do is set the peak limiter and estimate a minimum signal crest factor and hope the signal does not get to dense for to long to heat up the drivers too much.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 6:38pm

There is a lot of things people say and ways manufacturers specify things that can make it confusing,  if you try to forget power and think of it in volts it gets simpler,  unfortunately with a DP24 the best you can do is set the peak limiter and estimate a minimum signal crest factor and hope the signal does not get to dense for to long to heat up the drivers too much.

How do you convert a power rating in watts into volts?

Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 6:54pm
Power=V^2/R

so for a 1500w driver with 5.3 ohms RE  sqrt (1500x5.3) will give you the RMS voltage the driver was tested at.  

-------------

Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 6:55pm
My other question is this: while the original setup in qeustion was obertons, having read this it is making me question the limiting settings of the other components in my rig. I have two ES18s with PD186s in them running from a Proline and using the funktion one limiter calculator ( http://www.funktion-one.com/settings/" rel="nofollow - http://www.funktion-one.com/settings/ ) it told me to set my DP limiter to -2dbu. However, I suspect that is the value needed to reach full RMS power so was wondering how I would calculate it to conform with what you guys have said about powering drivers in horns?

Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 7:16pm
For peak limiters i tend to limit at about 1-2dB over the AES rating for bass and 3-4dB for mid high.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 7:30pm
Am really sorry if I'm picking your brains too much haha but if you don't mind I have another question! Is a peak limiter going to be enough to protect my drivers ? And if the limit is set above the AES rating then how exactly is that going to stop it killing drivers as you stated that even half of the AES rating is enough to kill them?

Posted By: csg
Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 7:44pm
in rough terms, peak limiters will protect your drivers from physical damage ( pole plating, hitting X-mech etc), RMS limiters will protect from thermal damage.

using peak limiters alone will not stop you during voice coils, and if used poorly can actually significantly increase the long term average power sent to your drivers.

without top of the range limiting, you have to think old skool - good driver / amplifier matching and listening to your rig when it is running - if it sounds happy it usually is...

-------------
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”

Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 9:26pm
If you use a peak limiter set at just above the AES rating then you will still be safe as long as your music crest factor is reasonably high, which is normally is,  having an RMS limiter as well ensures that if you do have low crest factor signal then you will also be safe in that situation, imo this extra level of safety can allow you to use a bigger amp and squeeze a little more out of your speaker safely.  

Peak limiters are fine though,  i have run systems for many years on peak limiters, shortest attack and longest release for maximum and very very rarely blown anything, i tended to set the peak limiters lower though, with an RMS limiter in place so you are thermally safe you can open up the peak limiter to just deal with over excursion or clip prevention.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 October 2018 at 10:34pm
Thank you for that mate, had me worried that I would have to buy a new DSP with an RMS limiter so i didn't risk my equiptment haha. Think after all of this I'm gonna grab myself an FFA 10K, hang two Obertons per channel to start with and then splash out on an RMS limiter and then run 6 of it. 

Date Posted: 12 October 2018 at 12:25am
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

in rough terms, peak limiters will protect your drivers from physical damage ( pole plating, hitting X-mech etc), RMS limiters will protect from thermal damage.

using peak limiters alone will not stop you during voice coils, and if used poorly can actually significantly increase the long term average power sent to your drivers.

without top of the range limiting, you have to think old skool - good driver / amplifier matching and listening to your rig when it is running - if it sounds happy it usually is...

And a good manufacturer does testing to set peak, RMS and also thermal, Xmax and power limiters to handle all situations, ideally with frequency shaped filtering too so that it can vary with signal content like a real speaker does.

This is currently an area I’m doing a lot of work on Timebomb - been a long time since we met, perhaps we should have coffee soon?

Posted By: ceharden
Date Posted: 12 October 2018 at 2:12am
As per the other Chris's comment, in the absence of very expensive power measurement and/or processing, the best way to avoid blowing your system up is to use your eyes, ears and common sense.

I use clip limiters set slightly above the maximum output of the amplifier so it can achieve maximum Voltage swing but stops it the signal turning into a complete square wave!  However ultimately the limiter is me.  If I'm just tickling the limit lights occasionally then I take that to be the system running at maximum level. If I start seeing more than a brief flash every few seconds then it's time to turn it down.  The only difference is if I do leave a system unattended then I'll normally wind the limiters back a few dB to a more conservative level and probably increase the release time too.

As for the question of how much headroom, well it depends of course!  Mainly on the style of music.  I do a lot of live work and for that I like lots of headroom because of the high crest factor, especially on mids and highs.

Posted By: levyte357-
Date Posted: 12 October 2018 at 8:18am
No need for 3x pages on this topic.

Just get K20, or PL380, or 2x Void Inf8MK2.

I've heard FFA10s, E90s, Crown ITECH 8s.

IMHO, None of them provide the lows AND SPL, Like the above.

All done.

-------------
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.

Date Posted: 12 October 2018 at 11:16am

And a good manufacturer does testing to set peak, RMS and also thermal, Xmax and power limiters to handle all situations, ideally with frequency shaped filtering too so that it can vary with signal content like a real speaker does.

This is currently an area I’m doing a lot of work on Timebomb - been a long time since we met, perhaps we should have coffee soon?

Yeah bob in if your up this way, im normally about,  i will do some more refined presets for my systems when the new processors are ready but its looking like the new year now... 

-------------

Posted By: Miles
Date Posted: 12 October 2018 at 1:40pm
very interessting - after reading this thread i guess running 4 xb1500 in scoops with inf8v2 (4ohm= +-2500w) is quite a perfect match. I always thought it is not enough for handling 2 1500w drivers per channel in theory ,despite the fact that they sound like earthquake allready with +-5 ampere each channel (like +-500w per driver) - now I can sleep better. ClapLOL btw never burnt a driver with that setup in 4 years only using shit behringer dsp limiter which never kicks in on sub anyway

Posted By: njw
Date Posted: 13 October 2018 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

As per the other Chris's comment, in the absence of very expensive power measurement and/or processing, the best way to avoid blowing your system up is to use your eyes, ears and common sense.

I use clip limiters set slightly above the maximum output of the amplifier so it can achieve maximum Voltage swing but stops it the signal turning into a complete square wave!  However ultimately the limiter is me.  If I'm just tickling the limit lights occasionally then I take that to be the system running at maximum level. If I start seeing more than a brief flash every few seconds then it's time to turn it down.  The only difference is if I do leave a system unattended then I'll normally wind the limiters back a few dB to a more conservative level and probably increase the release time too.

As for the question of how much headroom, well it depends of course!  Mainly on the style of music.  I do a lot of live work and for that I like lots of headroom because of the high crest factor, especially on mids and highs.

I'm much the same, I do mostly dj nights but always run a desk between the dj mixer and lms and keep on the eye on the levels as the night goes on with maximim level being the point at which I'm getting the odd flicker of the limiter lights. If I need to leave the system the levels get pulled back a few db and the lid goes back on the desk! Smile

Posted By: gen0me
Date Posted: 14 October 2018 at 12:27am

It wont work. After bass ends limiter will reset and count attack again. It may not turn on at all. Also limiter turning on after few second  of bass would be annoying. Device has to have memory.

What are the maximum temperatures you see on powersofts?
How does it change with copper VC, aluminium and CCAW?

-------------
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/

Date Posted: 14 October 2018 at 12:32pm
How powersofts know ωL part of impedance measuring music signal?

-------------

Date Posted: 15 October 2018 at 5:37pm

Your drivers will still be able to be burned by 300-600w LONG TERM power. The rating alongside a driver is measured in ‘easy conditions’ with band limited high crest factor pink noise. It is not a real representation of power handling apart from in maybe a well tuned reflex box.

Didn't see that last bit just got confused as to how we got on the topic of of how much power kills your drivers again. Allow me to check my understanding though... so when you connect a driver to an amp output and run power into it (say the amp gives out 1500watts),the driver resists the very vast majority of that and will only see a few hundred Watts tops? I assume the crest factor plays a part in this but am I correct in saying the above? 

You can separate speaker impedance into
ωL + Re + ~0.4%*Re*ΔT

Of which first one is inductance which affected returns power to amp. Second and third is resistance which affected changes this electrical power into heat and sound. (0.4% [Ω/°C] is temperature coefficient for copper.). 

-------------

Date Posted: 15 October 2018 at 9:45pm
Sorry gen0me, you've completely lost me Confused Why is that formula needed ? As in what does it actually show? I can gather a rough idea from the context but I'd ideally like more than just a rough idea ! You've also used some symbols that I've simply never encountered before such as ωL, ΔT and while we're at it what is Vamp? (the voltage an amp gives out ??).

Hard not to feel like an imbecile but I am so desperate to fully understand this that despite feeling as such, I simply have to ask. TIA

Date Posted: 15 October 2018 at 10:37pm

Yeah bob in if your up this way, im normally about,  i will do some more refined presets for my systems when the new processors are ready but its looking like the new year now... 

Doing an install in Preston sometime in the next few weeks so might make the extra hop up. Will send you a message

Posted By: odc04r
Date Posted: 15 October 2018 at 10:48pm

Sorry gen0me, you've completely lost me Confused Why is that formula needed ? As in what does it actually show? I can gather a rough idea from the context but I'd ideally like more than just a rough idea ! You've also used some symbols that I've simply never encountered before such as ωL, ΔT and while we're at it what is Vamp? (the voltage an amp gives out ??).

Hard not to feel like an imbecile but I am so desperate to fully understand this that despite feeling as such, I simply have to ask. TIA

He's writing equation salad really to express a pretty simple concept.

If you want to know the amount of power reflected to an amplifier then you need the phase angle of the load and a little bit of simple trigonometry.

When an enclosure presents a non-resistive load to an amplifier, i.e. the bandwidth around a resonance or when the voice coil inductance becomes significant compared to the DC resistance then a proportion of the power delivered at those frequencies is reflected back to the amplifier and must be dissipated as heat. This is on top of the waste heat related generated by an amplifier being not 100% efficient that is already being disposed of. In my opinion this is important and is one of the primary factors as to why certain amplifiers are more reliable than others at sub. Generally the resonances when driving such cabinets are low, the power levels high, reflected power proportion with the wrong cabinet load could be enough to tip a design over the edge. It also depends a lot of your musical content. So a lot of variables all bunched up together.

The problem is that unless you know what you are doing and spend a lot of time with measurement gear then you'll never really know the numbers, although quite a lot can be inferred from an impedance graph of your enclosures.

Frankly it is not worth worrying about in the real world unless you have a particular fascination with making the measurements. You'd also have to integrate them over time and frequency to get real power figures making it all rather complex (no pun intended). It is something that interests me and one day I may try and get real numbers, but it'll take years to get around to.

People have given good advice. Buy decent units, run the system sensibly, use your eyes and ears. Set the limiters to keep the amps out of clip, use a good gain structure. There really is not a lot to it imo.

Date Posted: 15 October 2018 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

He's writing equation salad really to express a pretty simple concept.

If you want to know the amount of power reflected to an amplifier then you need the phase angle of the load and a little bit of simple trigonometry.

When an enclosure presents a non-resistive load to an amplifier, i.e. the bandwidth around a resonance or when the voice coil inductance becomes significant compared to the DC resistance then a proportion of the power delivered at those frequencies is reflected back to the amplifier and must be dissipated as heat. This is on top of the waste heat related generated by an amplifier being not 100% efficient that is already being disposed of. In my opinion this is important and is one of the primary factors as to why certain amplifiers are more reliable than others at sub. Generally the resonances when driving such cabinets are low, the power levels high, reflected power proportion with the wrong cabinet load could be enough to tip a design over the edge. It also depends a lot of your musical content. So a lot of variables all bunched up together.

The problem is that unless you know what you are doing and spend a lot of time with measurement gear then you'll never really know the numbers, although quite a lot can be inferred from an impedance graph of your enclosures.

Frankly it is not worth worrying about in the real world unless you have a particular fascination with making the measurements. You'd also have to integrate them over time and frequency to get real power figures making it all rather complex (no pun intended). It is something that interests me and one day I may try and get real numbers, but it'll take years to get around to.

People have given good advice. Buy decent units, run the system sensibly, use your eyes and ears. Set the limiters to keep the amps out of clip, use a good gain structure. There really is not a lot to it imo.

That was much more helpful! Don't mean to be ungrateful to Gen0me but i feel like the above needed to be read before I understood what you meant. Yes, when you put it like that there isn't alot too it but when phrases such as "burning out your voice coils" and "expensive recone bills" are used to describe a concept, I just had to make sure I understood it 110%. Thank you

Date Posted: 15 October 2018 at 11:15pm

Sorry gen0me, you've completely lost me Confused Why is that formula needed ? As in what does it actually show? I can gather a rough idea from the context but I'd ideally like more than just a rough idea ! You've also used some symbols that I've simply never encountered before such as ωL, ΔT and while we're at it what is Vamp? (??).

Vamp is the voltage an amp gives out.
Δ = delta = difference.

This is to show how much power of an amp that was supposed to give kW is really being taken by the speaker just in standard working conditions.
ΔT is the difference of temperature. Lets say ts parameters were measured on ambient temperature speaker in 20°C. Than when voice coil heats up to 120°C its resistance will grow by ΔT* temperature coefficient. So for copper voice coil that has temperature coefficient ~ 0,4%=0.004 [Ω/°C] and ΔT=100°C the Resistance will grow to Re + 100*0.004Re= 1.4 Re

Forget it. I figured out different way.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 October 2018 at 7:25pm
But apart from a matter of interest this is irrelevant to setting limiters, unless you are limiting current. And even then it is irrelevant because as voice coils get hotter they draw less power from an amplifier for a given frequency given that voltage is constant. P=V^2/R. Set for voltage and power dissipation is in fact at a worst case when the voice coil is cold.

The question of what happens when a voicecoil gets hot is decided between the power that the coil is continually asked to dissipate and the cooling available to it which is often a function of driver displacement. I.e. it is complicated. Differential equations abound and it is linked to the frequency content of your playback.

Voicecoils draw less power when hot, this is known as power compression and is a good reason why it is better to push 200% more drivers 50% of their capabilities vs 100% of drivers to their limit for a happier result all round.

The split ratio of the power supplied to a voicecoil between heat generation and driver motion via interaction with the fixed magnetic field is another concept. Probably not going to help when the magnet gets hot though, especially if you go past the Curie point.

Unless you are talking about implementing signal limiting based on voicecoil temperature detection via resistance rise over nominal. This is something I thought about before but as always never got around to trying. I think the biggest problem will be that accurately detecting the shift in reistance dynamically in-situ considering how differently the enclosure impedance will be when getting hammered vs a room temperature measurement, would be an interesting study. I'm sure someone has done something like it before.

Date Posted: 16 October 2018 at 9:28pm
On left reasonable reflex. On right reasonable horn. Horn could use speaker's excursion a bit more.

18SW115 has Re=5.3ohm which on 170°C will give 5.3*1.6=~8.5 ohm
Here are impedance charts after changing Re in ts parameters to 8.5ohm as effect of rising voice coil temperature from 20°C to 170°C.

Power on the speaker would be P=U*I*cos(θ)/2
So if the amp was on spec measured on resistive load than
P=U^2/(2*R)
U^2=2*P*R
Knowing Z from hornresp we can calculate I=U/Z
Power on the speaker will be: I*U*cosθ/2
Power=U^2*cosθ/2*Z=2*P*R*cosθ/2*Z=P*Rcosθ/Z

R is impedance on which amp was measured
P is amp power. I assume that above that power thd rises a lot as I am using this power to estimate amp max peak voltage. The above equation on power from current, voltage and angle is for sinusoids.
Z is impedance from hornresp
θ is angle between Voltage and current, taken from hornresp

Can also scale power through efficiency and get separately acoustical power and heat.
So for 2kW amp here are the charts:

Notice that 18SW115 has very low Re as for 8ohm driver.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 October 2018 at 9:38pm
This chap has had a go at what I was thinking more or less - http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1015303/FULLTEXT01.pdf" rel="nofollow - http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1015303/FULLTEXT01.pdf Interesting read. Uses an adaptive filter approach to get Z(f) via impulse response as opposed to straight V(f)/I(f) calculation. Author concludes that the system is not accurate enough vs direct thermocouple. Inaccuracies in the current measurement and the relatively small shift in DC resistance under heating are names as suspected culprits. I think there are probably ways around a lot of those problems if one was inclined.

Some interesting notes are how the woofer Fs shifts down under heating + large signal abuse, neodynium magnets also estimated to lose ~10% flux at 100C.

Date Posted: 16 October 2018 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by gen0me gen0me wrote:

So if Ze=6.2ohm than I =126V/6.2~20A
So power that is converted by speaker is 20A^2*6.1ohm=2440W. Inductive power coming back to amp will be 20A*20A*0.1ohm=40W
Now if Ze=86.7ohm than I =126V/86.7~1.5A
So power that is converted by speaker is 1.5A^2*6.1ohm=14W. Inductive power coming back to amp will be 1.5A*1.5A*80.6ohm=181W

Can you explain where you are getting the 0.1 ohm and 86.7 Ohm figures from?

Posted By: fatfreddiescat
Date Posted: 16 October 2018 at 10:58pm

Link below is to download a powersoft tech note re limiters which may be of interest.
I think klippel have a paper describing a way of modeling the thermal characteristics of a driver to accurately predict thermal compression with a view to designing a system to prevent thermal overload.

Another method is to drive the loudspeaker at low level and take an fr measurement, then increase the level and check output equals the input, at the point the loudspeaker is outputting 3dB less than the added input demands then you have reached max input for most loudspeakers. 3dB may be a bit much for some loudspeakers, PD for instance give a power compression rating of 1.6dB at rated power for the 1850 IIRC. I think toastyghost posted a link to a method a while back.

http://www.powersoft-audio.com/en/docman/804-how-to-setup-limiters/file " rel="nofollow - http://www.powersoft-audio.com/en/docman/804-how-to-setup-limiters/file  ;

Note the bit about power factor and it's effect on the VC temp.

Date Posted: 16 October 2018 at 11:15pm
Those few responses sure were an interesting read now I actually understand what you guys are on about. ODC it really does sound like you are onto something with your limiter idea and I'd be very interested to see how you progress it.

Date Posted: 16 October 2018 at 11:22pm
Cheers, that is a really interesting application note. The shift of Fs down with heating and the way it can increase power dissipation at frequencies around the original room temp. Fs in the pre-shifted spectra is not something I have ever seen quantified before.

Also makes an interesting point re. tuning cabinets at small signal conditions vs how they behave once the driver is at a temperature more relevant to typical operation.

Date Posted: 16 October 2018 at 11:25pm

-------------

Date Posted: 16 October 2018 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by fatfreddiescat fatfreddiescat wrote:

Link below is to download a powersoft tech note re limiters which may be of interest.
I think klippel have a paper describing a way of modeling the thermal characteristics of a driver to accurately predict thermal compression with a view to designing a system to prevent thermal overload.

Another method is to drive the loudspeaker at low level and take an fr measurement, then increase the level and check output equals the input, at the point the loudspeaker is outputting 3dB less than the added input demands then you have reached max input for most loudspeakers. 3dB may be a bit much for some loudspeakers, PD for instance give a power compression rating of 1.6dB at rated power for the 1850 IIRC. I think toastyghost posted a link to a method a while back.

http://www.powersoft-audio.com/en/docman/804-how-to-setup-limiters/file " rel="nofollow - http://www.powersoft-audio.com/en/docman/804-how-to-setup-limiters/file  ;

Note the bit about power factor and it's effect on the VC temp.

That’s the loudspeaker toaster test. It’s not so much for setting limiters explicitly but getting a realistic maximum long term SPL value for given cabinet. Which you can then use to guide your limiter calculations.

Date Posted: 16 October 2018 at 11:47pm

-------------

Date Posted: 17 October 2018 at 4:20pm

-------------

Posted By: Dub Specialist Sound
Date Posted: 17 October 2018 at 6:32pm
This beast wat yu need

Don't worry about yu mikey mouse soft-power , get a real reagge big-boy amp man

lol hehehehehehehehehehe

-------------
Musical Roots Reggae Vibration is Life! for music is sound...sound is vibration...vibration is energy... and energy begets life. Therein lies my passion!...MUSIC IS LIFE...

Posted By: Sypa
Date Posted: 17 October 2018 at 7:24pm
I dont know where this discussion went ,but from first hand experience with xb1500s .6 now 8 , ram bux 5.0 ran them pretty hard/loud but was riding the clip for whole nights,got tired of that and got a k20.
Now thats running them properly with 0 red lights in sight and lots of control.
Dont have experience with other lightweight amps,but in the end you can get away with lesser headroom for a long time if its a quality amp,but a k20 just feels right you know LOL.

Also depends how are you gonna run them,our parties/jobs somehow always end up full tilt in the end.I reckon 6wsx wont need to be ran full tilt if youre sensible, unless massive case of not enough rig for the gig.

Posted By: levyte357-
Date Posted: 17 October 2018 at 7:48pm
Oh goody, back to actually talking about amps..

As thread title, requested...

LOL

-------------
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.

Date Posted: 17 October 2018 at 7:48pm
I'd love a K20 but just simply can't afford it. Seems to be the only lightweight worth getting really, except other K series. Guess I'll have to pay with my back aswell as money and cop some Inf 8s. I'm sure 6 WSX doesn't neeeed to be at full tilt but seen as this is ultimately a party stack I wouldn't mind crankin it up a tad :D Will be interesting to see how the Oberton likes the WSX...

Date Posted: 17 October 2018 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Dub Specialist Sound Dub Specialist Sound wrote:

This beast wat yu need

lol hehehehehehehehehehe

Holy Censored... that hardly looks like an amplifier and more like something you'd use to power a city

Date Posted: 17 October 2018 at 9:16pm
Re read post from page 4
EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedCryOuch

-------------

Date Posted: 17 October 2018 at 10:06pm
Looks a bit more sensible, you're more on the right track now.

Interesting thing is that when the coil gets hot, the phase angle of the load reduces as assuming that the imaginary reactive part does not change you have just lowered the phase angle by increasing the real component instead.

So there is at least one benefit from drivers getting a little warm. They pull less current and less reactive power is being sent back to an amp. But you just don't want them too warm...

Still think the main amplifier killer is using cabinets with large phase angles in combination with low impedance around the low frequency regions where musical content is significant. This will be either side of the resonance peak so a vented box tuned to perhaps 40-50hz might cause an amp to dissipate a lot more extra heat than a box tuned to 60Hz, assuming that there is a lot of content around that frequency.

The only thing you can really do about it apart from designing cabs to present nice loads in the first place, is to buy over-engineered amps with high transistor safe operating areas, and then run them sensibly. Which funnily enough is where all the empirical advice tends to end up.

Wish I had more (any) spare days to play around with this stuff.

Date Posted: 17 October 2018 at 10:40pm

Looks a bit more sensible, you're more on the right track now.

Interesting thing is that when the coil gets hot, the phase angle of the load reduces as assuming that the imaginary reactive part does not change you have just lowered the phase angle by increasing the real component instead.

So there is at least one benefit from drivers getting a little warm. They pull less current and less reactive power is being sent back to an amp. But you just don't want them too warm...

Still think the main amplifier killer is using cabinets with large phase angles in combination with low impedance around the low frequency regions where musical content is significant. This will be either side of the resonance peak so a vented box tuned to perhaps 40-50hz might cause an amp to dissipate a lot more extra heat than a box tuned to 60Hz, assuming that there is a lot of content around that frequency.

The only thing you can really do about it apart from designing cabs to present nice loads in the first place, is to buy over-engineered amps with high transistor safe operating areas, and then run them sensibly. Which funnily enough is where all the empirical advice tends to end up.

Wish I had more (any) spare days to play around with this stuff.

When I swapped my bass drivers from 6th order bandpass (two large impedance  peaks in there workjng range) into ported horns that partially damped the upper impedance peak my amps ran much cooler, so totally agree with what your saying.

Date Posted: 17 October 2018 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by gen0me gen0me wrote:

Re read post from page 4
EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedCryOuch

I assume you are referring to

it is better to push 200% more drivers 50% of their capabilities vs 100% of drivers to their limit for a happier result all round
when I said I'd be running my WSXs "cranked up"? Fear not gen0me, I heeded all the advice and information in this thread very carefully and simply meant that for a few short points in the session I would push them closer (not TO) their safe limit. In general, I will be running this system relatively conservatively because before I start trying to squeeze every last db out of my drivers I feel I need to gain the neccesary experience to be confident doing so.

Posted By: Earplug
Date Posted: 18 October 2018 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Sypa Sypa wrote:

I dont know where this discussion went ,but from first hand experience with xb1500s .6 now 8 , ram bux 5.0 ran them pretty hard/loud but was riding the clip for whole nights,got tired of that and got a k20.
Now thats running them properly with 0 red lights in sight and lots of control.
Dont have experience with other lightweight amps,but in the end you can get away with lesser headroom for a long time if its a quality amp,but a k20 just feels right you know LOL.

Also depends how are you gonna run them,our parties/jobs somehow always end up full tilt in the end.I reckon 6wsx wont need to be ran full tilt if youre sensible, unless massive case of not enough rig for the gig.

+1

Funny you mention the Ram BUX 5.0. A friend had 2 of those running 8 x 18" Beymas (not sure what model) and wasn´t convinced. He then swapped the Rams out for 2 x Crest 8001´s - supposedly less wattage, but swears that the system now sounds better - and louder.

Like you say, a quality amp is always better.   Smile

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Posted By: Sypa
Date Posted: 18 October 2018 at 11:31am
Ah cmon the Ram aint bad haha. I know im jumping in my mouth a bit here but i actually preffered the sound of the lowest lows <40hz the Ram used to produce. It felt a bit heavier than the k20, whereas the k20 is like a air blower cant really hear the crunchyness if you know what i mean ..

Date Posted: 18 October 2018 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Oh goody, back to actually talking about amps..

As thread title, requested...

LOL

Everything discussed is intrinsically part of amplification. You can deny it all you like, but you're still wrong

Posted By: csg
Date Posted: 18 October 2018 at 3:30pm

This beast wat yu need

lol hehehehehehehehehehe

Holy Censored... that hardly looks like an amplifier and more like something you'd use to power a city

not when you look at the scale on the ammeter - which looks like 15A at the top...which at 240V would give you a maximum total output of around 3Kw assuming 85% efficiency - which it probably isn't.

anyone looked inside? Maybe there is something else hiding inside...

-------------
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”

Posted By: valve head777
Date Posted: 18 October 2018 at 4:06pm

This beast wat yu need

lol hehehehehehehehehehe

not when you look at the scale on the ammeter - which looks like 15A at the top...which at 240V would give you a maximum total output of around 3Kw assuming 85% efficiency - which it probably isn't.

Yeah but
yeah but........
They're REGGAE WATTS.....!!

-------------
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.

Date Posted: 18 October 2018 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by valve head777 valve head777 wrote:

This beast wat yu need

lol hehehehehehehehehehe

Yeah but
yeah but........
They're REGGAE WATTS.....!!

If its anything like most reggae amps and pre's what is inside is mostly air amd a spaghetti mess of wiring! But that's all part of the fun.

Posted By: James Tengo
Date Posted: 18 October 2018 at 5:13pm
Reggie Watts?

Posted By: valve head777
Date Posted: 18 October 2018 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by James Tengo James Tengo wrote:

Reggie Watts?

Don't put fingers in amplifier outputs. Not even as an experiment.

-------------
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.

Posted By: Earplug
Date Posted: 18 October 2018 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Sypa Sypa wrote:

Ah cmon the Ram aint bad haha. I know im jumping in my mouth a bit here but i actually preffered the sound of the lowest lows <40hz the Ram used to produce. It felt a bit heavier than the k20, whereas the k20 is like a air blower cant really hear the crunchyness if you know what i mean ..

Haha - yes, a matter of taste really. I can´t say I like them at all, especially the newer lightweight stuff. Really horrible.  Dead

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Date Posted: 18 October 2018 at 7:59pm
Reggae Watts are heavier

Date Posted: 19 October 2018 at 4:34am
Here is a fresh take on why your watts don’t matter as much as your volts (most of the time) and why your 2000w AES driver probably isn’t gonna handle that 4000w of 40Hz you think you’re giving it:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/196gbijzbgQmlZTMEZQi_tQeO9dgOVrk3/view" rel="nofollow - https://drive.google.com/file/d/196gbijzbgQmlZTMEZQi_tQeO9dgOVrk3/view

Posted By: Father-Francis
Date Posted: 19 October 2018 at 7:52am
Thanks for posting all this info boss Hug

-------------
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk

Date Posted: 19 October 2018 at 10:21am
Good read, thanks Kyle. Simple enough. I figured that power delivered would drop as the VC heats up, nice to see a figure on it.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net