Print Page | Close Window

Proline 3000 - People blowing drivers or Amp

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Amp Forum
Forum Description: The 'Stopping Jake Fielder moaning constantly' forum description...
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=102780
Printed Date: 19 April 2024 at 10:10pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Proline 3000 - People blowing drivers or Amp
Posted By: levyte357-
Subject: Proline 3000 - People blowing drivers or Amp
Date Posted: 29 October 2018 at 5:14pm
Those of you who have blown amp, drivers, trying to get 2kwpc @ 4 ohm, after believing hearsay.

Please comment here, people are still doing this.

-------------
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.

Replies:
Posted By: ArthurG
Date Posted: 29 October 2018 at 5:49pm
Proline, as well as all Thomann amps, has only a simple & cheap peak stop limiter that is rubbish. Lot of DC and square wave coming out when it clips. It put stress on the amp (the bipolar transistors dont like it) and on speakers. You get what you pay for...

Posted By: corell
Date Posted: 29 October 2018 at 5:50pm
what exactly is the "hearsay" ? that it's Output is 2000w @4 Ohms or that it blows Drivers?

Date Posted: 29 October 2018 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by corell corell wrote:

what exactly is the "hearsay" ? that it's Output is 2000w @4 Ohms or that it blows Drivers?

https://forum.speakerplans.com/amp-to-drive-4x-pd-1850_topic42337_page3.html" rel="nofollow - https://forum.speakerplans.com/amp-to-drive-4x-pd-1850_topic42337_page3.html

Originally posted by dOpeShack dOpeShack wrote:

I drove 2 PD.1850 per side of a proline and clipped (it is my fault, still it clipped real quickly) and burned two PD.1850 out of the 4. Not enough headroom. I got a void inf8 now which i bought for 1000euros.
What people recommend in here with the proline is bridge it to drivge only two PD.1850, then you have plenty of headroom. But then for 4 scoops you'd still need two prolines, and then can get a high end amp like the void for the same price.
PEACE

-------------

Posted By: munkey
Date Posted: 29 October 2018 at 7:16pm
I ran 4 v18 loaded scoops for 3 years off a proline with no problems and would have people commenting on how loud the scoops were all the time. They were used nearly every weekend for 5-24 hours at a time.the drivers and amp were sold, still fully functional. Always limited off my ultradrive

-------------
the midtops!

Date Posted: 29 October 2018 at 7:17pm
I once ran 8 punishers off 2 proline and made bigger rigs seem very quiet

-------------
the midtops!

Date Posted: 29 October 2018 at 7:21pm
https://forum.speakerplans.com/proline-3000-powering-hogs-q_topic102193_page2.html" rel="nofollow - https://forum.speakerplans.com/proline-3000-powering-hogs-q_topic102193_page2.html

Originally posted by rosssss224 rosssss224 wrote:

I read forums, deduced it would be fine, blew 4 drivers, regretted even trying. Now face £££ recone bill and need to get an inf8 instead. Just dont want someone to make my mistake (again)

also bought the proline new for £550 and wont be able to sell it for anything less than £350 but it will make a solid kick amp.

If you do use it buy an inline attenuator (-10 or -15dB) to make sure the limiter is catching peaks.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 October 2018 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by corell corell wrote:

Do you have test figures stating 2000w @ 4 ohms, for 40-60hz?

-------------

Date Posted: 29 October 2018 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by munkey munkey wrote:

I ran 4 v18 loaded scoops for 3 years off a proline with no problems and would have people commenting on how loud the scoops were all the time. They were used nearly every weekend for 5-24 hours at a time.the drivers and amp were sold, still fully functional. Always limited off my ultradrive

Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 29 October 2018 at 9:21pm
What's your point? Imo they're good amps if you're careful. They don't have crazy power but pump enough juice for bass 

-------------
the midtops!

Date Posted: 30 October 2018 at 8:38am

What's your point? Imo they're good amps if you're careful. They don't have crazy power but pump enough juice for bass 

IMHO, great in 8 ohm stereo, 4 ohm bridge, OK in 4 ohm stereo, but not enough to fully drive 2x 1kw drivers per channel, with bass heavy material.

-------------

Posted By: paulus
Date Posted: 30 October 2018 at 11:29am
the naphon 1400 amps look identical, I think people are getting them confused, know of 1 for sale if any one is interested, will do 2kw at 4ohm per channel   

-------------
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM

Posted By: rosssss224
Date Posted: 30 October 2018 at 11:53am
People running scoops seem to come off okay but those of us with FLH seem to pop drivers...

Date Posted: 30 October 2018 at 11:56am
Originally posted by rosssss224 rosssss224 wrote:

People running scoops seem to come off okay but those of us with FLH seem to pop drivers...

From at least 10 years ago, someone here said, amp good for 2x15s per channel at 4 ohms, but not 2x 18s pet channel.

-------------

Posted By: Jack_The_Ripper
Date Posted: 30 October 2018 at 7:50pm
So if it's widely known that as soon as you see a clip light the amp takes out your drivers why do people buy them? I had two but sold them and now power my dual 18 subs with two QSC RMX4050HD one sub per channel. I can't be sure which amp is best but has anyone ever tried the RMX4050HD alongside the Proline 3000 running subs in 4 ohms stereo?

I sold mine because although I never clip my pa system some of my mates do ease the level up a bit so I only used the Proline 3000 amps once at a party and wasn't prepared to keep using them if they definately would send the subs drivers into hell. Like I say I never tested the RMX4050HD alongside the Proline 3000 but I can say that although i'm underpowering my subs by about 200 watts per sub the RMX4050HD is definately capable of 40hz power continuously and my subs you can feel the sub bass in your stomach.

I think if the amps are that dangerous to drivers then we need to put the word out to make sure no-one buys them and instead buys something with half decent clip protection.

Posted By: nickyburnell
Date Posted: 30 October 2018 at 8:22pm
People who are with their rigs all the time is one thing. Dry hire or install one of those damn things and you will have issues.

-------------
It's everything, not everythink!

Posted By: valve head777
Date Posted: 30 October 2018 at 8:41pm
As mentioned before, put a limited infront, no issues. What's the problem? Why demonise an amp when user abuse causes problems? No amp likes to be clipped.

-------------
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.

Posted By: dj jammin
Date Posted: 30 October 2018 at 9:06pm
what valve said ^^^

-------------
Reverence Sound system

Date Posted: 30 October 2018 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by valve head777 valve head777 wrote:

As mentioned before, put a limited infront, no issues. What's the problem? Why demonise an amp when user abuse causes problems? No amp likes to be clipped.

The problem is not really the amp.

It's the people who incorrectly repeat the results of the German lab test.

Lab test said 2kwpc at 4 ohms @ 80hz !!!

That does not mean amp will do 2kwpc @ 4 ohms at 40 - 60hz, so people who think they can get that, clip the amp trying, and oh well..

Let us remember Crown MA3600VZ, will also eat drivers when out of steam, as that had no inbuilt clip circuitry!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 30 October 2018 at 9:35pm
Because when they clip, just once, they cause a lot more damage than other amps in the same scenario. This is not hearsay or demonetization. I've owned one and the way it went from OK to nasty noise is not right. BPSound had one in install and it killed a load of Wembley B Lines and it was behind a Cloud Limiter.
 Post was about amps ability to kill drivers, if yours hasn't cool, fair play, the ones I was involved with were horrid. Maybe they are not all created equal?

-------------

Date Posted: 31 October 2018 at 10:27am
Nicky...
That's why I was asking why would anyone who's heard horror stories about the amp use one. If you only have to clip it once and it kills your drivers then surely something is wrong with the design of the amplifier or maybe it's internal components aren't what anyone would class as reasonable quality I don't know. I've seen my mates use cheaper amplifiers before like W-Audio, Samson etc...which have clipped occasionally and not destroyed drivers. Maybe the only way to really use the Proline 3000 is if you leave AT LEAST 3db headroom AND use a loudspeaker management system at the quality level of say XTA DP426 etc...which has excellent quality RMS and Peak limiters. 

And if they're not all created equal then it's obvious Deton Audio (who makes the Proline 3000 and Thoman rebadge as the Proline 3000) has VERY serious quality control and manufacturing consistency problems.

Posted By: rosssss224
Date Posted: 31 October 2018 at 12:54pm
At the end of the day DIY / hobbyists all want 4 x 18" subs ASAP and will choose to drive them with a cheap amp to have the big stack of bass quicker. Thats what we did and what others will do...could we have saved the extra £750 for a 'proper' amp yes. But we thought bugger it it will be fine most people seem to find i otkay and of course we'll careful not like those other muppets. Fast forward its 7am and everyones taken their eye off the ball and someone asks if the bass seems quiet.

The amp is designed to drive 4 x 15" medium powered drivers. IF you used an inf8 to drive boxes needing 1500w rms to get out of bed that would be labelled a 'driver killer' probably

Posted By: odc04r
Date Posted: 31 October 2018 at 1:48pm
Seen them used to drive pairs of X1s amongst others all night to some messy early morning situations. No issues.

Posted By: Robbo
Date Posted: 31 October 2018 at 2:42pm
Quote from above
"And if they're not all created equal then it's obvious Deton Audio (who makes the Proline 3000 and Thoman rebadge as the Proline 3000) has VERY serious quality control and manufacturing consistency problems."

I bought a load of Deton Audio products from Jo at Ohm a few years ago and it was not a happy experience.
All of the products were brand new boxed items and we had a 50% failure rate straight from the box--of the other 50% we only had one item still working OK after a couple of months so out of about 20 items to find only one OK says a lot about Deton quality and reliability.
They were very crudely built, even the metal rack cases were bloody aweful and the internal components and pots were cheap tat.
I would NEVER touch any Deton Audio product again!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: 31 October 2018 at 8:45pm
I say regardless of how good Chinese amps are on subs (Chinese companies I mean) I think you're always best off going for a decent manufacturer like Crown, Crest, Peavey, QSC, Lab Gruppen etc...I'm sticking with my QSC RMX4050HD amps for my subs.

Posted By: junoprobelaunch
Date Posted: 31 October 2018 at 9:49pm
Bought one of these a while for running 4x PD186s in ES18s (only got two at the moment) but since reading the "2 x 18s or 4 x 15s" rule in the other thread I wonder if i made the right choice. I imagine it will be okay since these are used as upper bass so won't have as heavy a load as one that stems from sub duty but do any of you guys have any ideas as to how the proline will handle this?

Date Posted: 01 November 2018 at 8:52am
I think the overal general consenus about Proline 3000 amps is that they really are fantastic for subs and bass cabs in general but the lack of decent clip limiting means clip it once (even accidentally) and it could destroy all your drivers. Plus eventually with it being a Chinese ampliifer company and not British or USA etc..manufactured in China the parts inside it are very cheap and so eventually the amp will die much sooner than a QSC, Crest, Peavey etc...amp would which can live on for decades and decades. When this happens it could once again destroy your drivers.

So I say in my opinion try and go with amplifiers from reputable manufacturers like QSC, Crown, Crest, Peavey, EV, Powersoft, FFA etc...even if you take a slight hit on the sheer bass impact because at the end of the day reliability will be better. The Proline 3000 is a brilliant amp for subs but the reliability and it's ability to destroy drivers makes it not worth it. I had two and sold them before it had a chance to take out drivers, now I use QSC RMX4050HD for subs until maybe one day I can afford something even better.

Posted By: Earplug
Date Posted: 01 November 2018 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Jack_The_Ripper Jack_The_Ripper wrote:

I think the overal general consenus about Proline 3000 amps is that they really are fantastic for subs and bass cabs in general but the lack of decent clip limiting means clip it once (even accidentally) and it could destroy all your drivers. Plus eventually with it being a Chinese ampliifer company and not British or USA etc..manufactured in China the parts inside it are very cheap and so eventually the amp will die much sooner than a QSC, Crest, Peavey etc...amp would which can live on for decades and decades. When this happens it could once again destroy your drivers.

So I say in my opinion try and go with amplifiers from reputable manufacturers like QSC, Crown, Crest, Peavey, EV, Powersoft, FFA etc...even if you take a slight hit on the sheer bass impact because at the end of the day reliability will be better. The Proline 3000 is a brilliant amp for subs but the reliability and it's ability to destroy drivers makes it not worth it. I had two and sold them before it had a chance to take out drivers, now I use QSC RMX4050HD for subs until maybe one day I can afford something even better.

+1

I´d say that it sounds like the Proline 3000 does exactly what it says on the box, but unfortunately that turns into a square wave that the 'optimistically' rated speakers we have these days just can´t handle!

People throw around stupid numbers for speaker powers that are really a nonsense - just like some of the amp power figures we see, especially on some of the low grade powered cabs around.

I know that there are some exceptions, but really most (15"/18") speakers couldn´t actually handle more than 400W-500W of 'real' power. Fortunately, most of the time they don´t actually draw much more than that when in use, so people don´t really notice. And the high-end powered cabs all have complex DSP´s that make sure they don´t!

Regarding amps, etc. - I can´t remember when I last blew a driver. Most of my gigs are powered  by old Crests (ok  - and a 9200 and Chinese CA18 copy - but a really good one Smile). I´ve stuck with my Crest 8001´s and 7001´s because they have one of the best soft-clip cicuits in the business. Just what the Proline lacks!  Ouch

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Date Posted: 01 November 2018 at 5:28pm
In the 18 years or so i've been doing parties at halls i've never blown a driver, EVER!!!

The Proline 3000 could be hooked upto a sub on one side of the amp that could handle 5,000 watts continuous average power and still it'd blow the sub if clipped, I think it's the behavour of the amp when it clips which is so amazingly destructive. I've read Abeltronics reviews of amps they've tested and as far as I can tell not all amps clip the same. I mean somne seem to clip and you can damage drivers if it keeps clipping and some are so dangerous if you clip them once say goodbye to your drivers. That's the kind of amp the Proline 3000 seems to be and if there was a Cloud CX335 used before it and it STILL managed to take out drivers that tells you how dangerous the amp is. 

I've read reviews of the Proline 3000 that back up my theory that even when you get close to clipping  but don't actually clip the amp the sound quality degrades.

For example the QSC RMX4050HD tested here :
https://www.abeltronics.co.uk/amptesting.php?z=QSC_RMX4050HD" rel="nofollow - https://www.abeltronics.co.uk/amptesting.php?z=QSC_RMX4050HD

Abeltronics say "Clipping behaviour is excellent with no nasties", and we know that when the Proline 3000 clips there's definately so called 'nasties' because the amp murders your drivers. Earplug, you say the Proline lacks good limiters but also i'd say it doesn't just need quality clip limiters it needs better components too so when you get close to clipping sound quality doesn't degrade.

Date Posted: 01 November 2018 at 6:18pm
I´ve never used - or even seen a Proline 3000, so can´t really comment, but if people are relying on the clip light on the amp to tell them what´s going, then they´re crazy. The only way of knowing exactly what the amp is doing is to use an oscilliscope.

I´ve seen many amps start clipping long before any warning light comes on - especially with a low impedence load and a crap PSU. That may be the case with the 3000, in which case the crest factor is obviously dropping to 1 (0dB) and goodbye to your '5000W' speaker!   Dead

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Date Posted: 01 November 2018 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

I´ve seen many amps start clipping long before any warning light comes on - especially with a low impedence load and a crap PSU. That may be the case with the 3000, in which case the crest factor is obviously dropping to 1 (0dB) and goodbye to your '5000W' speaker!   Dead

Can assure you the Proline  3000 has very well endowed PSU section, with huge Transformer, plenty of smoothing, and approx 25x output devices per channel. This gives them the legendary sound and bass notes. Don't forget they weigh 5.5 stones !!!

The only drawbacks on this amp, are the lack of sensitivity adjustment, and clip circuitry, and moody inrush circuitry components.

In the right hands, e.g. someone using limiter before the amp, and not trying to get 2kwpc @ 4 ohms, they do sound very nice.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 November 2018 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Can assure you the Proline  3000 has very well endowed PSU section, with huge Transformer, plenty of smoothing, and approx 25x output devices per channel. This gives them the legendary sound and bass notes. Don't forget they weigh 5.5 stones !!!

The only drawbacks on this amp, are the lack of sensitivity adjustment, and clip circuitry, and moody inrush circuitry components.

In the right hands, e.g. someone using limiter before the amp, and not trying to get 2kwpc @ 4 ohms, they do sound very nice.

Yeah but it's been said that even with a mighty Cloud CX335 limiter before it, it still killed the drivers, maybe that's in part the fault of the CX335 but i've been told about 3db from clipping it starts to lose sound quality, I can't remember myself I only used my pair once and then sold them just in case they blew up one day soon.

Posted By: valve head777
Date Posted: 01 November 2018 at 9:49pm
So, actually the loss of sound quality is the first warning sign...
Maybe people should operate their soundsystems with ears rather than eyes.
As an operator, I knew when power compression was happening and could tell when an amp-driver combo was at its limits. My old 80's Mr Eddy transistor amps have absolutely no protection.
This is a problem of power in inexperienced hands.
Btw, just because a decent limiter is used doesn't mean it's set up correctly, and even if it is, a saggy mains negates that.

-------------
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.

Date Posted: 02 November 2018 at 9:42am

Ok, understood. Like I say, never seen them, but the Thomann stuff is usually quite well made. Obviously there´s been some shortcuts taken with this amp that limit it´s usability.

"Maybe people should operate their soundsystems with ears rather than eyes. "

Yup!   Smile Thumbs Up Smile

"Btw, just because a decent limiter is used doesn't mean it's set up correctly, and even if it is, a saggy mains negates that."

Or a 'saggy' PSU.  Ouch

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Posted By: toastyghost
Date Posted: 02 November 2018 at 12:32pm

Bennett works for B&C

Date Posted: 02 November 2018 at 1:27pm

Website says 2400W!  LOL LOL LOL

When will the BS stop?  Unhappy

JBL, of course, have there own way of doing things. A friend just rang me about one of these:

He´s got a load of them under his VRX - and at least one of the cabs has reversed phase! After checking with the local tech service, he was told that it could happen if the speaker was overheated!  Confused

Only solution given was a recone.  I´m waiting for him to drop the thing around here so I can have a look. Amazing.  Ouch

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Posted By: gen0me
Date Posted: 02 November 2018 at 2:09pm
Hope he was serious this time.

-------------
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/

Posted By: U.Viktor
Date Posted: 02 November 2018 at 2:14pm
Read and understand specifications of speakers.
Usually most low-frquency transducers can handle 25% of the nominal power in long term (for minutes)
For example : 1200W AES & 2400W Peak means:
average maximum power of: 300W

However if you reach that 300W average the lifetime likely will drop seriously.
Otherwise the testing methods defined lifetime suggest that need to survive only 8 hours of operation prior lifetime and parameters degrading.

Date Posted: 02 November 2018 at 2:45pm
Can you upload this photo in better quality?

What is the Preal?
As P Re changes and Preal not(exmple 4000s-4500s and 5500s-6000s) than it has to be on different test signals.
Was there some more description to this? What test signals are those?

Isnt 225W of real power still not much for the speaker. At beginning its voice coil got like 220 deg C. For 225W on worst measured scenario temp was ~170 deg C.
Or is 225W B&C recommendation for long lifetime?

And whats the enclosure?

-------------

Date Posted: 02 November 2018 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Bennett works for B&C

A pretty common sense result considering the thermal mass of each I would think. But interesting none the less. There seems to be a lot of discussion currently about voice coil temeprature sensing etc, I should hurry up and build the prototype I have been thinking of for years.

Who am I kidding, another 5 years minimum.

Date Posted: 02 November 2018 at 6:03pm

Website says 2400W!  LOL LOL LOL

When will the BS stop?  Unhappy

JBL, of course, have there own way of doing things. A friend just rang me about one of these:

He´s got a load of them under his VRX - and at least one of the cabs has reversed phase! After checking with the local tech service, he was told that it could happen if the speaker was overheated!  Confused

Only solution given was a recone.  I´m waiting for him to drop the thing around here so I can have a look. Amazing.  Ouch

It’s not BS. They clearly state the test conditions and that 2400w value is continuous program power. Peak is 4x AES.

The issue lies with people not reading up or understanding the test conditions or measuring or designing boxes properly - it’s not just the woodwork, the preset and drive conditions are part of the whole.

Date Posted: 02 November 2018 at 6:34pm
Yes, true - you have to read the small print. Problemn is that a lot of people don´t, then wonder why their speaker blew with 'just' 1k of heavily compressed/clipped waveform.  

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Date Posted: 02 November 2018 at 6:48pm
This post has become refreshing.

Notice some Fane 400w 15's in the for sale section, proper loud and lovely with not much input.

Maybe sensitivity in drivers will make a come back when they run out of bull?

-------------

Posted By: njw
Date Posted: 02 November 2018 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

Notice some Fane 400w 15's in the for sale section, proper loud and lovely with not much input.

Quite, I always love the look on peoples faces when I tell them that my mids are only 200w (Studio 12L's), it gets even better when I also tell them that they are set -3db to the rest of the system. LOL

Date Posted: 02 November 2018 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by njw njw wrote:

Quite, I always love the look on peoples faces when I tell them that my mids are only 200w (Studio 12L's), it gets even better when I also tell them that they are set -3db to the rest of the system. LOL

Clap

-------------

Posted By: M4trix
Date Posted: 02 November 2018 at 9:59pm
I have a feeling that this thread will be a looong one. Oh, did I interrupt you ? Please proceed with the discussion! LOL Wink

Date Posted: 02 November 2018 at 10:18pm

Yes they are exceedingly nice drivers.

I'm sure seller will accept offers, if cash collection.. LOL Wink

-------------

Posted By: studio45
Date Posted: 04 November 2018 at 6:35pm

Wait, what? He's got a driver that has reversed its *own* phase after being overheated? How could that possibly work?

-------------
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA

Date Posted: 05 November 2018 at 1:17am

Originally posted by njw njw wrote:

Clap

There still are ‘sensitive’ drivers if you’re not fussed about linearity or broad response

Date Posted: 05 November 2018 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Wait, what? He's got a driver that has reversed its *own* phase after being overheated? How could that possibly work?

Yes - and confirmed by the official JBL service center here. I don´t understand it either. It does sound crazy. Hopefully I´ll get the cab into my workshop this week, then I can investigate further.

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Date Posted: 06 November 2018 at 8:57am
Only possibly way I could imagine that is a magnetic field flip, but surely it would die before that happened. And that would affect both coil's relative motion surely. Weird.

Posted By: DMorison
Date Posted: 06 November 2018 at 12:30pm
Or, it was always like that, but only got noticed after something else (possibly related to the same overheating event) caused the enquiry to the tech. Still doesn't explain the bullshit explanation though.

Date Posted: 06 November 2018 at 1:13pm
He noticed some bass-end cancelation at a gig and found the odd cab/driver.

Maybe one of the coils has burned out - or through and causing some sort of short-circuit, who knows. Apparently the guy at the service center has seen this before with these drivers. The blurb for the thing talks about "Dual-Bridged Technology, Class D", so anything is possible!   LOL

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Posted By: rhythmsandy
Date Posted: 04 January 2019 at 7:17pm
I think there are few problems from proline. 

1. Input signal Clipping which could have been better but how many of the users are actually clipping.
2. The bass grip and the restoration of kick drum hit is amazing as many has expressed. Probably thats happening because its not really class H its because of Class G kind of operation. 
3. NTC inrush limiting is punny and there are many places the amp is under engineered. Which could have been better if it would have solved the above issues but prices is what everyone seems looking at. How many would come forward if the price is about 2.5x or 3x and yet has drive capability of the proline 3000? As far as I know many who drove Class D amps never said its better than Class AB/H but none of them who i know tried proline 3000. 

Look at the following input clipping system where the input of the amplifier itself is getting limited and giving this soft clip. Can anyone rate it that if thats the clipping behaviour of the amplifier then would that be ok? https://www.dropbox.com/s/n24lwg2926kn2qj/input%20limiter.JPG?dl=0

Date Posted: 05 January 2019 at 10:24am
Originally posted by rhythmsandy rhythmsandy wrote:

I think there are few problems from proline. 

1. Input signal Clipping which could have been better but how many of the users are actually clipping.
2. The bass grip and the restoration of kick drum hit is amazing as many has expressed. Probably thats happening because its not really class H its because of Class G kind of operation. 
3. NTC inrush limiting is punny and there are many places the amp is under engineered. Which could have been better if it would have solved the above issues but prices is what everyone seems looking at. How many would come forward if the price is about 2.5x or 3x and yet has drive capability of the proline 3000? As far as I know many who drove Class D amps never said its better than Class AB/H but none of them who i know tried proline 3000. 

Look at the following input clipping system where the input of the amplifier itself is getting limited and giving this soft clip. Can anyone rate it that if thats the clipping behaviour of the amplifier then would that be ok?  https://www.dropbox.com/s/n24lwg2926kn2qj/input%20limiter.JPG?dl=0" rel="nofollow - https://www.dropbox.com/s/n24lwg2926kn2qj/input%20limiter.JPG?dl=0

Yes, some good points. I´ve never used a 3000, but it sounds like it does what it says on the box and a lot of people just don´t understand AES ratings and low crest factor source muzak pushed to the limit, etc.

As regards the clip, it´s impossible to comment without more data, ie what was the input voltage at that point. I´ve just looked at the specs for the amp and see that it´s input sensitivity is 0,77V. That´s actuall quite low for such a big amp. Most will use 1V, or more - in order to avoid 'premature' overdriving and clipping. So that could be an issue with the amp.

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Posted By: thes
Date Posted: 06 April 2019 at 5:39pm
Btw, on thomann website the Proline 3000 ( and ta 2400 too) are now advertised as class AB amplifiers. Can someone confirm this?

Posted By: concept-10
Date Posted: 06 April 2019 at 8:00pm
Phone them.

Date Posted: 06 April 2019 at 10:58pm
I was thinking to send them an email but, considering the fact that someone else build those amps for thomann, i doubt they know this kind of details.
It's been a year since i'm checking their amps on their website but i swear that today is the first time
the "class AB" classification is present. Must have been added recently.

Date Posted: 07 April 2019 at 9:08am
Originally posted by thes thes wrote:

I was thinking to send them an email but, considering the fact that someone else build those amps for thomann, i doubt they know this kind of details.
It's been a year since i'm checking their amps on their website but i swear that today is the first time
the "class AB" classification is present. Must have been added recently.

These are new versions of the amps.

The pictures on Thomann website, need updating.

I just checked the original manufacturer's web page.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 April 2019 at 1:25pm
Really there are new versions of those amps?
Even proline 3000's price has changed: 658 euros before 599 euros now...i'm intriguedSmile
Can someone confirm?
If those amps are in class AB now they should also sound better...would be nice to know much more.
Would love to use a proline 3000 in my home setupBig smile

Are these originally manufactured by Deton?

Posted By: Tonskulus
Date Posted: 07 April 2019 at 7:07pm
I'm almost sure there is a mistake, class-h stuff in reality.

Date Posted: 07 April 2019 at 10:29pm
Class AB and H are not mutually exclusive. H/G is usually an AB biased output stage with switchable/variable power DC rails for an efficiency boost when it comes to not wasting power with low signals and fixed high voltage DC rails.

Date Posted: 08 April 2019 at 5:56am
Yes, true that. Basically AB-amplifier. However when ever I'm looking/buying amplifiers, I want to know is it standard AB or class H/G configured.  Some class H/G amps are more problematic than AB in some cases, rail switching distortion etc..

There are so many different amp configurations around class AB having advantages and disadvantages.
I have seen parallel configured class H amps too.

Date Posted: 08 April 2019 at 9:28am
Yes - I think that once you get to rail voltages over +/- 95 or so, you really need to go H or G to avoid excessive  stress on the output devices.

I remember reading an article once about how there can be more stress on the O/P transistors with the volume less than 100% due to the fact that the devices are having to drop a substancial amount of voltage, rather than just working in 'swithching' mode.

And then add in phase shifts, etc:

http://sound.whsites.net/patd.htm" rel="nofollow - http://sound.whsites.net/patd.htm

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Date Posted: 08 April 2019 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Tonskulus Tonskulus wrote:

I'm almost sure there is a mistake, class-h stuff in reality.

Find it highly unlikely.

Thomann have had these amps labelled as Class H on their site for at  least 12x years.

They would not change that "Willy Nilly".

I would expect Deton has modified these amps.

Unless Deton standards have fallen, and they are now blatantly lying in their specs, as is the case with other Chinese manufacturers.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 April 2019 at 11:17am
Well, someone has to go and get one to see if it's ab or class-h.. 

Date Posted: 08 April 2019 at 2:04pm
Or just tell Thomann you want to buy a load - but need to know what they really are...   LOL Evil Smile LOL

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Date Posted: 08 April 2019 at 2:35pm
Called them, asking for clarification, lady says no one available in PA department now, email them.

Emailed PA department, as if these are actually new Class AB models, I want one.

They read email, didn't respond.

I'm thinking the respect I had for Thomann, is slowly evaporating...

-------------

Posted By: U.Viktor
Date Posted: 08 April 2019 at 5:47pm
About the "Class-H" :
All Class-H circuitry have rail separation diodes which completely blocking the reverse energy flow.
This circuit works only with pure resistors type load, otherwise -- with reactive load-- the load character is completely undamped between rail steps..
In other words the membranes of speakers are "free floating" due lack of active damping effect.
Maybe somebody like this effect but I would not say it *professional*
You can not stack effectively working (proper phase aligned, SPL & transient response) multiple speaker arrays from random phase radiators neither.

Date Posted: 08 April 2019 at 5:54pm
All i can say is that on deton website there are a whole new line of AONE amplifiers.
Before we had Deeton AONE 3600 (marketed ny thomann as the proline 3000 we know) and the AONE 4400 wich, unfortunately, almost none of us has seen in real life. The new AONE series has 3 amps: A_ONE I, A-ONE II and A-ONE III. They are indeed class AB , the faceplate looks almost identical but the speacs and the rear are way different, a total different amplifier. I don't think that thomann could ship an amp so different in place of the old amp without warning the buyer.
Also new Deton amps have poor specs: damping factor and slew rates are very poor. Hope t hey don't go downill like naphon did.
Also, i must point out that thomann never advertised ta 2400 and proline 3000's as class H amplifiers on their websites or manual, no information on the class of these amplifiers has ever been available from thomann and the schematics have never been available. Honestly i can't recall if deton has ever advertised the AONE 3600 as a class H amp or not but, on their website, AONE 3600's specs are still available and there's no mention of the class of that amp.
I do think they are class H at this point but, more than that, i would be interested in knowing how they would perform in a home stereo setup in terms of sound quality

Date Posted: 08 April 2019 at 6:25pm
I have the circuit schematics from for the Proline series.
Also, the more sharper eyed readers, will have seen All the new AONE series, are lighter, than the Proline 3000, even the more higher rated amp.

This smells fishy to me, especially as they use the new 3U backplate pic, in the specs for a 2U lightweight amp.

Think the glory days of Deton/Thomann Proline might be over.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 April 2019 at 9:59pm
Totally agree.
Please can you comment on the sound quality of the proline 3000?
I would love to use it FULL RANGE for listening / monitoring pourpose.
Right now i'm using a qsc rmx 2450...would the proline 3000 be a step down?

Date Posted: 09 April 2019 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

About the "Class-H" :
All Class-H circuitry have rail separation diodes which completely blocking the reverse energy flow.
This circuit works only with pure resistors type load, otherwise -- with reactive load-- the load character is completely undamped between rail steps..
In other words the membranes of speakers are "free floating" due lack of active damping effect.
Maybe somebody like this effect but I would not say it *professional*
You can not stack effectively working (proper phase aligned, SPL & transient response) multiple speaker arrays from random phase radiators neither.

So you think the output transistor alone is not blocking the reverse energy? Think about it.. they do! Only one way current is possible as well as with those diodes. 
Also keep in mind, output stage has complementary bjt pairs. So there is actually no blocking for +/- reverse current as you might think :)

And there is no diodes on high voltage rails.  

Class H/G amp may have big damping factor = amplifier has cone control and thus it is not free floating.. 
I have some QSC mx3000a's, they are class H (or G).  One of the best cone control I have seen!

Date Posted: 09 April 2019 at 8:11pm

So you think the output transistor alone is not blocking the reverse energy? Think about it.. they do! Only one way current is possible as well as with those diodes. 
Also keep in mind, output stage has complementary bjt pairs. So there is actually no blocking for +/- reverse current as you might think :)

And there is no diodes on high voltage rails.  

Class H/G amp may have big damping factor = amplifier has cone control and thus it is not free floating.. 
I have some QSC mx3000a's, they are class H (or G).  One of the best cone control I have seen!

I have a pair of JBL MPX1200s (rebadged Mx3000a), one is in the house, connected to the TV.. Wink

Maybe I should stop trying to sell one and keep it.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 April 2019 at 8:46pm
Yes, they are indeed same amps.  Just amazingly good for bass, no anomalies or anything to worry about. 
I also had some Tamp ta1400's for a while, great little amps too as being class H (after I repaired some bad solder joints and one faulty bridge rectifier). No signs of losing cone control. 

I need to get proline 3000 for my test bench, just to find out if there is something wrong at clipping..

Date Posted: 13 April 2019 at 6:33pm
Another interesting fact to consider is the difference in slew rate between the proline 3000 and the ta2400:
Proline 3000 45V
TA2400 60V
pretty strange considering how much bigger the proline 3000 is.
Made some research and noticed that a lot of big amps (way bigger than the TA 2400) have slew rates of approximately 45V...so they are supposed to give less bass impact compared to the TA2400?
 Point is that the most part of bigger amps don't seem to have bigger damping factors/slew rates than smallish amps (qsc rmx 5050 has smaller damping factor than the rmx 2450 for example).
Cerwin vega cv 5000ìs damping factor is 300
Even the monster crest ca 10001 has a damping factor of 500...
Crown ma5000vz slew rate is only 30!!!! (Damping factor is outstanding at "greater than 1000")

Date Posted: 14 April 2019 at 6:56pm
Total damping factor drops anyway down to 10...40 typically when speakers and speak cables are connected.

Tamp TA1400, similar to TA2400, produces indeed tight bass.  I actually liked it pretty much. 

Low damping factor amp might be compensated using highly damped speakers.  
Once I tested my Cubo15 subs with tube amplifier having very low DF.. it was still tight and punchy, I was actually pretty surprised how loud and clean it was!

Date Posted: 16 April 2019 at 1:04pm
I do know that damping factor drops to 10 - 40 when the amp is connected to speakers, especially those that use a passive crossover, but this happens when you have a damping factor of, let's say 100 - 150 and cables around 20 awg are involved. I don't think that with an amp that has 1000 or 2000 of damping factor you'll end up with no more than 40 at the speakers, especially if you use active crossovers and something like 8 or 6 awg cables (or less)

Posted By: JulianDA
Date Posted: 17 April 2019 at 3:12pm
My partner in crime also wrote an E-Mail to Thomann requesting the new information on the amp. They told us that it is still the same amp and that the class H rating was in fact an error the whole time...i dont know what to think, especially because it also got cheaper Ermm

Date Posted: 17 April 2019 at 4:22pm
If new amp lighter than 37kg, erm...

Ermm Thumbs Down

-------------

Date Posted: 17 April 2019 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by thes thes wrote:

Made some research and noticed that a lot of big amps (way bigger than the TA 2400) have slew rates of approximately 45V...so they are supposed to give less bass impact compared to the TA2400?
There is no point for a bass amp to have such a big slew either. Lets take as example 5 samples(44.1k/1s) voltage swing from maximum voltage to minimum. Thats close to maximum angle at which samples are falling during bass drop. 5/44.1k~113us. Even counting some ridicolous power on the speaker in worst impedance scenario. sqrt(3kw*8ohm)*2sqrt(2)~438V
3.9V/us
I wouldnt want to test it thought.

-------------

Posted By: Western Mystics
Date Posted: 12 October 2019 at 11:36am
Anyone got their hands on the new model proline 3000 in the meantime? Curious to hear after reading thread.

Posted By: Fred_dibna
Date Posted: 27 October 2019 at 9:34pm
There's a new Proline 3000? I didn't know that I sold my two because they sounded bad at clipping and I was afraid of blowing drivers when reading many things about people blowing drivers. I never knew why they as soon as they clip they're so amazingly destructive to drivers where many amps out there from QSC, Crown etc..are able to be clipped (which obviously is never advisable) and yet drivers can survive. Does anyone have any ideas if the new Proline 3000 is an improvment or maybe just the same, dangerous to drivers?

On a side note I do remember quite a few people in the past saying the Crown MA5002 were dangerous when clipped and at clipping could destroy drivers. By the way regarding the TA2400 i'm sure i've read on this very foreum that they're not good on bass especially when bridged as they can't handle 4 ohm bridged well or at all, can't remember the actual details but i'm sure I read something like that. 

Posted By: ali4994
Date Posted: 17 December 2019 at 1:06am

Don't suppose you could post your limiter settings? I'm a simpleton when it comes to limiters but would love a tested second line of defence between my driver's and my 3000

Posted By: ali4994
Date Posted: 17 December 2019 at 4:10pm

I appreciate the private message but I think my inbox is still locked until I've posted more. Cheers though!

Date Posted: 17 December 2019 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by ali4994 ali4994 wrote:

I appreciate the private message but I think my inbox is still locked until I've posted more. Cheers though!

Keep posting then 

-------------
the midtops!

Posted By: Sonic the hedge
Date Posted: 13 May 2020 at 1:57pm
As others have mentioned the obvious problem with the Proline is that the clip lights are inaccurate. 

Looking at the schematic the clip LED is driven directly off the output with no reference to the supply rails or input signal whatsoever. There is a trim pot but even if calibrated the circuit is not able to account for different speaker  load conditions or supply rail voltage sag, which happens in even the best built amps at full tilt.

For a class G/H amp a proper clip indication circuit needs to compare the highest supply rail voltage to the output voltage and switch on the clip light when the two are equal, or ideally a little before i.e. when the output voltage is nearly as high as the rail voltage, so as to give the user a little warning that the amp is approaching clip. 

The Proline just has straight voltage sense circuit that turns on the LED at a fixed voltage, in fact the LED itself is effectively powered directly by the output. Therefore with certain loads it's pretty much a given that the Amp will be well into clipping before the clip lights come on. 

However, this should not be a problem for anyone who knows how to set up a proper gain structure and uses an external limiter. The inrush circuit is another known issue but otherwise there is nothing fundimentaly wrong with the amp as far as I can see.

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 5:02pm
Why did they do it? Its not much more complex to make a "real" clip indicator.
Some old QSC amps had a bit different clip indicator circuit but it works too. 

I also hated the optical limiter in some Tamp TA-series. They worked very well for 8ohm/ch but not at all @ 4ohms / ch because output voltage was not enough to activate the limiter circuit. 

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 6:48pm

I also hated the optical limiter in some Tamp TA-series. They worked very well for 8ohm/ch but not at all @ 4ohms / ch because output voltage was not enough to activate the limiter circuit. 

You get what you pay for...

Apart from, when you get even less..

-------------

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 7:18pm

Thats the way it is indeed. 

However, T.Amps has very good price/performance. As well as Some Behringers.

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Sonic the hedge Sonic the hedge wrote:

As others have mentioned the obvious problem with the Proline is that the clip lights are inaccurate. 

Therefore with certain loads it's pretty much a given that the Amp will be well into clipping before the clip lights come on. 

However, this should not be a problem for anyone who knows how to set up a proper gain structure and uses an external limiter. The inrush circuit is another known issue but otherwise there is nothing fundimentaly wrong with the amp as far as I can see.

Ok two things, first what the hell made them make the amp like that without properly accurate clip lights? To me that's dumb because surely as the word gets round that the amp kills your drivers when only just clipping whereas most decent amps don't sales will go down. Secondly how do you set full system gain structure if you can't rely on the amp clip lights? I know how to set gain structure with a 400hz sinewave and a piezo all down the line but I always then turn up the amp's attentuators until the amp's clip lights flicker then turn them down a tad just below clipping. Would you use an oscilloscope? I have no idea how to use one.

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:19pm

Why did they do it? Its not much more complex to make a "real" clip indicator.

Exactly, it's not even really a cost issue just bad design.  I guess good design costs money too, but why would a manufacturer care, people still buy them anyway.

It's a shame, because otherwise it looks like a perfectly good amp. There are certainly a lot worse about.

Date Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by Fred_dibna Fred_dibna wrote:

how do you set full system gain structure if you can't rely on the amp clip lights? Would you use an oscilloscope? 

Well ideally you would use a scope to find the clip point, that's how you measure the maximum unclipped output of an amp, it's the point just before the voltage peaks start to square off.

Guess instead you could measure the rail voltage and peak output voltage with a DMM and just keep turning it up until the voltages are the same. But that still needs a dummy load.

Failing that just make sure you don't put more than 770mv into the input, since that's the level for rated output. There are plenty threads explaining how to calculate gain & limiter settings back from there.

Or using your test tone push a signal until it's hitting your limiter then use a DMM on AC volts RMS to measure the amp input voltage and adjust the gain until it's 770mv, then back it off a bit like you say. That would be running the amp flat out though, so only do it if your speakers can handle it.

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 1:35am

Agreed 

But to be fair to the Proline,, despite the obvious shortcomings it's still a lot of amp for the money.

A couple of cheap mods could make it into a perfectly good amp, one that would put many much more expensive to shame. 

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 9:24am

how do you set full system gain structure if you can't rely on the amp clip lights? Would you use an oscilloscope? 

Well ideally you would use a scope to find the clip point, that's how you measure the maximum unclipped output of an amp, it's the point just before the voltage peaks start to square off.

Guess instead you could measure the rail voltage and peak output voltage with a DMM and just keep turning it up until the voltages are the same. But that still needs a dummy load.

Failing that just make sure you don't put more than 770mv into the input, since that's the level for rated output. There are plenty threads explaining how to calculate gain & limiter settings back from there.

Or using your test tone push a signal until it's hitting your limiter then use a DMM on AC volts RMS to measure the amp input voltage and adjust the gain until it's 770mv, then back it off a bit like you say. That would be running the amp flat out though, so only do it if your speakers can handle it.

I guess in a way it'd not be worth buying a Proline 300 and testing it, for what it's worth it'd be better to stick with what I have. Thanks for your help.

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 9:30am

Agreed 

But to be fair to the Proline,, despite the obvious shortcomings it's still a lot of amp for the money.

A couple of cheap mods could make it into a perfectly good amp, one that would put many much more expensive to shame. 

But if you modded it then wouldn't the hassle not be worth it? Wouldn't you be better off just buying a used Crest CA18 or maybe Crown MA5002VZ or maybe even what I have QSC RMX4050HD. I just don't see how a Proline 3000 could make yours subs THAT much better that it'd be worth it. Here's a thought that's maybe or maybe not worth considering, just a random thought out of the blue have any of you very well educated guys ever thought of maybe contacting these cheap Chinese amp companies and asking if you can work with them to provide them with the knowledge of how to make their amps more reliable and witrh quality clip limiters?

I know i've heard how good many Chinese amps are for subs but i've also heard the reason more people don't buy them is reliability. Maybe you guys could get in touch with them and inform them how to make them more reliable and transform the Chinese amp world and make it a definite viable option for UK people.

Date Posted: 15 May 2020 at 10:40am

Agreed 

Fully agree.

My comment was regarding the Thomann TA2400, Ok amp on Mids, but would not use for sub.

The Proline 2700/3000, was a whole lot of amp for the money, back in the day.

Proper transformer, huge amount of output devices per channel, exceptional cooling/air flow strategy.

I mentioned years ago, I ran a 2700 in 4 ohm bridge all night, and when party was done, amp was cool to the touch.

Only problem with these amps, was the clip handling, which is why I always said, these are great bridge monsters, but who wants to walk around with 5.5 stones of amp, per pair of 18s.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2020 at 8:04pm

But if you modded it then wouldn't the hassle not be worth it? Wouldn't you be better off just buying a used Crest CA18 or maybe Crown MA5002VZ or maybe even what I have QSC RMX4050HD. I just don't see how a Proline 3000 could make yours subs THAT much better that it'd be worth it.

Probably, those are all excellent amps, but if buying second hand the Proline would be cheaper. l guess in terms of mods it's fine if you can DIY but certainly not worth paying someone to do it, when you can pick up better amps for perhaps £100-£200 more. But the Proline is still a solid amp for the money.

Here's a thought that's maybe or maybe not worth considering, just a random thought out of the blue have any of you very well educated guys ever thought of maybe contacting these cheap Chinese amp companies and asking if you can work with them to provide them with the knowledge of how to make their amps more reliable and witrh quality clip limiters?  

I'm not very well educated at all lol school dropout me LOL

The Chinese OEMs are often perfectly capable by themselves of producing good designs and good build quality. But they build down to a price point, so they have to cut a few corners to get there.

You have to bear in mind, those old school heavies like Crown Crest etc. were very expensive when new, perhaps 3 or 4 times the price of the Proline, and that's ignoring 15-20 years of inflation. Price wise it's like comparing a 20 year old Mercedes to a brand new Kia. But the Proline (and indeed some other Chinese amps) are actually a lot closer to Crown/Crest etc in build quality, than that car example. So in terms of value for money, they are not so bad.

Date Posted: 18 May 2020 at 9:11pm
I have had some Tamp 1400's,  no idea if the build quality is something like proline 3000 has but they were mostly medicore. Lots of soldering issues but great amps for the price (except for sub duty, great for kick/mid/highs). 

Anyway, its kind of nice that even today, some big iron amps are still manufactured. Mostly chinese things tho.. but as example QSC RMX 4050/5050 are very good.

Crown's last heavy w. amp was XLS 5000? 

Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 2:10am

no idea if the build quality is something like proline 3000 has but they were mostly medicore. Lots of soldering issues but great amps for the price

Tbh I have never actually seen the inside of a Proline for real Tongue

But from what I have seen/read online the assembly quality is ok/average. The basic drive, output & PSU design is quite similar to some of the classics, the main difference seems to be the components are speced much closer to the wind, whereas the old school heavies were usually massively overbuilt,120v caps for 80v etc. which is why they go on forever. Crest used to do a 24hr, 100% output burn in test, for every new amp built!

The Proline should  do the business, but not so sure how long it will last! 

Anyway, its kind of nice that even today, some big iron amps are still manufactured. Mostly chinese things tho.. but as example QSC RMX 4050/5050 are very good.

Crown's last heavy w. amp was XLS 5000? 

Agree with that, but also can't really knock that China has made many things more affordable for all. 

RMX are China manufacture too I think, but yes 4050/5050 has v good reputation. I guess that shows China can build quality too, when that's what's ordered.

No idea about last heavy Crown, TBH I'm a bit out of touch, I used to play with Crest/Amcron/C-audio/Hill/Citronic etc when they were new Wink

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net