URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=102832
Printed Date: 29 March 2024 at 11:11am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Martin Audio MH212 driver help
Posted By: MrScy
Subject: Martin Audio MH212 driver help
Date Posted: 08 November 2018 at 3:36pm
Hi all,

I might get 4 Martin Audio MH212 with burned drivers, I am reluctant to replace the same model RCF woofers as they look under powered according to the spec sheet, 150W continuous , with 2 per box yielding a Max 126dB at 1 M.

How good do these cabinets sound and how loud are they?
Has anyone upgraded them to newer more powerful/efficient drivers for better sound quality and higher SPL? 

Any further advices?

Regards,

-------------
montek.co.za

Replies:
Posted By: jbl_man
Date Posted: 08 November 2018 at 3:49pm
Very old design now (40 years) but still sound good...the problem you may have replacing the drivers is fouling of the phase plug on the cone/dustcap if you use anything other than the originals. These came with either RCF or ATC drivers depending on the year.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: Earplug
Date Posted: 08 November 2018 at 6:16pm
I have 4 of those with the original ATC driver and they are great cabs. The ATC´s are very efficient - around 99dB @ 1W/1m. I´m not sure about the RCF´s, but I imagine that they must be the same. The cabs definitely are loud - and 'project' a long way.  Smile

You may need to experiment a bit finding a driver these days, but most can be made to fit by cutting out and inverting the dustcap!

Just Google "atc driver specs" and you´ll find the pdf with all the old ATC drivers. Mine use the PA75 314 - all the specs are there. You´ll just need to find a match.  Smile

Also, the secret will be in finding something efficient, don´t worry too much about the power.

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Posted By: jbl_man
Date Posted: 08 November 2018 at 6:39pm
I believe the RCF version was the L12p24,which, like the ATC, had a 3inch coil,and a very shallow dustcap. You wont be able to fit a driver with a 4 inch coil, but as Earplug suggests, try and find one with similar specs to the ATC with a 3 inch coil.

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 09 November 2018 at 8:02am
Thank you for the responses. Thumbs Up

-------------
montek.co.za

Date Posted: 10 November 2018 at 8:57am
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

I have 4 of those with the original ATC driver and they are great cabs. The ATC´s are very efficient - around 99dB @ 1W/1m. I´m not sure about the RCF´s, but I imagine that they must be the same. The cabs definitely are loud - and 'project' a long way.  Smile

You may need to experiment a bit finding a driver these days, but most can be made to fit by cutting out and inverting the dustcap!

Just Google "atc driver specs" and you´ll find the pdf with all the old ATC drivers. Mine use the PA75 314 - all the specs are there. You´ll just need to find a match.  Smile

Also, the secret will be in finding something efficient, don´t worry too much about the power.

What size of crowd can you do/have you done with 4 of them outdoor for musical events? 

-------------
montek.co.za

Posted By: Earplug
Date Posted: 10 November 2018 at 10:43am
They´ll do 500-1000 people without too much problem. Depends on genre of muzak - and if live group, or dj.  For latter, you may need more bass bins than mids!    Wink

I especially like the sound of vocals and drums with them. Very natural.  Smile

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Date Posted: 10 November 2018 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

They´ll do 500-1000 people without too much problem. Depends on genre of muzak - and if live group, or dj.  For latter, you may need more bass bins than mids!    Wink

I especially like the sound of vocals and drums with them. Very natural.  Smile

I am sold, i was reluctant to buy them Wink.
Thank you once again for your input.

-------------
montek.co.za

Posted By: concept-10
Date Posted: 11 November 2018 at 7:33am
Epic cab even by today's standards, actually designed by David Lythe (Volt loudspeakers) when he worked at Martin, if you can find a suitable driver you can always change the dust cap for a lower profile one from another manufacturer, Volt used to make some aluminium 3" ones for horn loading, some higher power handling drivers would bring these right up to date, good luck Smile  

Date Posted: 12 November 2018 at 10:48am
Which DIY subs may work well with the MH212 except the Martin 115/215 ?
I prefer 15", Martin suggests running the MH212 from 250hz-1.5KHz so I will need to build something that can play 45/50Hz to 200Hz at least.

-------------
montek.co.za

Posted By: Pinyorouk
Date Posted: 22 December 2020 at 11:51pm
Resurecting this thread. I have some ATC "monster mids in Martin Audio cabinets. Unfortunately someone decided to let off a siren sound  at high volume unexpectedly which caused the speaker cone to hit the phase bung. Result was that the wire leading to the voice coil got snapped. I removed the speaker dust cover. Luckily I was able to repair the break. Problem now is with the dust cap. I can't find one as flat as the original one. I have been able to find one where if I invert it... There is clearance between the bung. More than before.

My question is, will fitting an inverted dust cover affect the performance. Also, can I use ordinary contact adhesive to glue the dust cover? 

Thanks

Posted By: I-shen Soundboy
Date Posted: 23 December 2020 at 11:25am
Try a cut down dust cover from a speaker with a larger voice coil.
The larger curvature radius should yield a flatter profile.
Cutting it into a clean circle of the right size could be the hardest part.

Posted By: Pinyorouk
Date Posted: 23 December 2020 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by I-shen Soundboy I-shen Soundboy wrote:

Try a cut down dust cover from a speaker with a larger voice coil.
The larger curvature radius should yield a flatter profile.
Cutting it into a clean circle of the right size could be the hardest part.

Thanks a lot fo your reply. I'll try that. Compliments of the season!! 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net