Print Page | Close Window

Kick Bin Design Idea B&C 15ndl76

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: Plans
Forum Name: New Projects Forum
Forum Description: Forum for new speakerplans projects, in memory of Tony Wilkes, 1953 - 2014
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=103090
Printed Date: 19 April 2024 at 1:23am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Kick Bin Design Idea B&C 15ndl76
Posted By: luthier
Subject: Kick Bin Design Idea B&C 15ndl76
Date Posted: 04 January 2019 at 10:40pm
Hi all,

I'm in the very early stages of designing a kick bin section for a 3way mid to based around the B&C 15ndl76. I'm aiming to use it for between 100-300hz. I'm hoping for an average sensitivity of 102db -3db in the pass band. It will be going below a sonitus mr8xt and Beyma cd10fe (one cabinet).

I know it's a gargantuan task but, I've seen it done on this forum a few times before (Davey's Mid Top for example) . If anyone has any pointers I'd be very happy to hear them, I'm not easily offended. 

I'm very comfortable with the woodworking aspects and expecting to be making a fair few prototypes, as well as spend a good deal of time on Solidworks. 

Here's some of the hornresp sims so far in 4pi:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Replies:
Date Posted: 04 January 2019 at 10:48pm
Here's 2pi

Posted By: ceharden
Date Posted: 04 January 2019 at 11:09pm
Plots don't look unreasonable but do you have any sketches of how that will fit in a cabinet with the mid and high sections?  Are we talking a straight horn or folded?

Date Posted: 04 January 2019 at 11:22pm
Haven't started drawing the cab in solidworks yet. Wanted to wait to see if anyone could spot any obvious mistakes at this stage. 

Folded horn, but only two folds. Straight horn like the coffin bin would be impractical. 

Ideally the cabinet would be trapezoidal. Height around the 1200 mark, width  552 narrowing to 344 for a 28 degree splay angle with 445mm depth.

Date Posted: 04 January 2019 at 11:53pm
Just some very (VERY) rough sketches of what I'm thinking. I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone.

Hopefully it won't be too honky. 

Date Posted: 04 January 2019 at 11:56pm
Here's the hornresp schematic.

Posted By: Mikkel
Date Posted: 05 January 2019 at 12:24am
Hi luthier. I think to model s1 correctly you got to take the whole baffle into account not just the driver aperture. So to accomodate a 15" driver i would think it would need to be atleast 40x40cm, so probably closer to 1600cm2?

Also i dont know if it would reach 300hz with a fold, from what ive read bandbass horns like that dont like to play that high. A straight horn like hornresp the model would probably be better .

Date Posted: 05 January 2019 at 1:04am
The Es18bph only has 801cm2 for the S1 and that's for an 18. My design has 1144cm2. I'm not too worried about that. 

I''ve designed my own straight horn for this driver based on the coffin bin project posted by another member. However, with no folds it ended up being over 800mm in length.

There are a fair few BPH in production that play 300hz and above. I'm hoping to be able to the same.

Posted By: ceharden
Date Posted: 05 January 2019 at 10:26am
There has been a lot of discussion in the distant past about whether the length of the throat chamber (between the baffle and the fold in this case) counts as part of the length of the horn, or whether the horn flare itself starts at the narrowest section.  I see you've chosen to model the throat chamber as the first horn section which is not something I've ever tried.  Could be valid.

Something I have found useful in the past when testing designs like this is to compare the impedance plots between the simulation and the real cabinet.  Best way to analyse how close to the theory you've got.

I'm quite interested to follow this because firstly I'm quite familiar with those midrange horns but also I've tried a few similar low frequency designs in the past and not come up with anything worthy of building into a complete cabinet.  You are definitely right to expect a few rounds of prototyping!

Date Posted: 06 January 2019 at 8:06am
Originally posted by luthier luthier wrote:

The Es18bph only has 801cm2 for the S1 and that's for an 18. My design has 1144cm2. I'm not too worried about that. 

I''ve designed my own straight horn for this driver based on the coffin bin project posted by another member. However, with no folds it ended up being over 800mm in length.

There are a fair few BPH in production that play 300hz and above. I'm hoping to be able to the same.

Yea your right in saying the es18 is modeled with s1 of 800cm2 but thats because s1 in that simulation is taken from where the front chamber ends (s2 in your simulation). It might be worth trying to sim using the fromt chber value in hornresp and removing the first section of the horn to compare sims.

Posted By: corell
Date Posted: 06 January 2019 at 9:11am
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

There has been a lot of discussion in the distant past about whether the length of the throat chamber (between the baffle and the fold in this case) counts as part of the length of the horn, or whether the horn flare itself starts at the narrowest section.  I see you've chosen to model the throat chamber as the first horn section which is not something I've ever tried.  Could be valid.

Simulating the throat chamber as a negative expansion horn segment or a throat chamber (with correct vtc/atc = length of throat chamber!) yields nearly identical results in honresp. i have been curious myself sometime ago and compared a few designes.

Date Posted: 07 January 2019 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by corell corell wrote:

Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

Simulating the throat chamber as a negative expansion horn segment or a throat chamber (with correct vtc/atc = length of throat chamber!) yields nearly identical results in honresp. i have been curious myself sometime ago and compared a few designes.

There you go! Ive wondered myself a few times, good to know the two meathods agree.

Date Posted: 09 January 2019 at 11:57pm
Been playing around with the design a bit more. This is the best I've got so far, any suggestions on how to either make the design more compact or increase the low end down to 100hz (ideally 80hz) would be fantastic!

Also, I'm having issues with excursion below 105hz, I've also been playing around with porting but simming a flat response I only get down to 95hz flat and have excursion issues at 105hz again. Also with the port I lose about 1db overall sensitivity.

Posted By: corell
Date Posted: 10 January 2019 at 9:24am
12,5 l backchamber and 1,1 l frontchamber is very small for a 15", nearly impossible imo. Also i see its not a bandpass horn design anymore. Could you post a rough sketch of how you would fold the new idea?
On another note: a linear ("conical") expansion  in one plane and two parallel sides in the other plane (as nearly every wooden box) is simulated as parabolic ("par") in hornresp.

Date Posted: 11 January 2019 at 1:40pm
Thanks for the advice Corell, I'm still planing on making it a BPH as a FLH would be to large for my requirements. I'm still learning hornresp and really trying to translate my theoretical knowledge into the software. It's not exactly the most user friendly software I've used.
need to reach 400hz not 300hz. I've been able to do this with a relatively short horn but I'm loosing all my low end between 100hz and 140hz. I've tried adding a port to compensate but I can't seem to control the xmax and loose significant sensitivity. 

If I make my S1 smaller I get a better result but anything under 300 seems to get hornresp angry. I imagine it's down to the compression ratio. I wonder If anyone uses a phase plug to correct this in a bph or just a very small throat.

Date Posted: 11 January 2019 at 1:42pm
On another side note I've checked and with a 102db sensitivity for my B&C15ndl76 500w I should match perfectly to the Sonitus mr8xt with it 105db senitivity and 150w rms. 

Posted By: mobiele eenheid
Date Posted: 11 January 2019 at 4:16pm
Let's start with simulating a single segment horn and incorporate directivity, without that you're only seeing half the story really.

What makes you say you've got an excursion problem, because I'm pretty sure that you shouldn't have one.

Best regards Johan

Posted By: toastyghost
Date Posted: 11 January 2019 at 4:24pm
As a note, to get up that high (and more) F1 use a phase plug in the low section of theirs boxes. A bloody big one on some of the Res.

Date Posted: 12 January 2019 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by mobiele eenheid mobiele eenheid wrote:

Let's start with simulating a single segment horn and incorporate directivity, without that you're only seeing half the story really.

What makes you say you've got an excursion problem, because I'm pretty sure that you shouldn't have one.

Best regards Johan

Here's a look at the directivity, I was a bit shocked about the spl increase between 200hz and 400hz, but I couldn't see any lobes in the directivity pattern.

Date Posted: 12 January 2019 at 7:26pm
Currently trying to decide if I should go back to my original plan of a target response of 102db -3db between 100hz - 300hz. Im thinking I could potentially eq between 300 - 400hz on the mr8xt.

Here's the sim of the MR8xt:

Date Posted: 12 January 2019 at 9:31pm
So I've now increased the horn length pretty much doubling it, but it is starting to produce the results I wanted to see. 

Date Posted: 15 January 2019 at 11:32pm
So I have spent a bit of time on Solidworks drawing up the B&C 15ndl76, it still needs a bit of work, primarily on the cone, but it's close. The purpose of this was to determine the displacement of the driver in the chamber before the first horn section. 

Here's a few pictures of the process.

Date Posted: 16 January 2019 at 1:49am
Starting to try and model the horn now, already feeling my 720mm horn path is too long! 

Could anyone shed some light on the S1 section? I'm planing on getting the 125mm segment length chasing down the back of the cabinet as I really don't want to make it any deeper! 

Date Posted: 16 January 2019 at 1:50am
I'm aware my chamber volumes are far too large at this point! 

Date Posted: 16 January 2019 at 2:17am

Date Posted: 16 January 2019 at 3:06am
Turn's out I have 38.9 L to remove volume wise from my chamber, which is a massive waste of space! 

If I was to fill the chamber I would need to fill this amount! 

Date Posted: 16 January 2019 at 3:18am
With the MR8XT roughly modelled to check for clearance. Planing on putting my the 1" comp in the horn mouth.

Date Posted: 17 January 2019 at 10:03pm
So I have been playing around with the horn a fair bit and it's certainly been challenging.

Here's a few pictures of the different iterations of the cabinet, last one being most recent.

Date Posted: 17 January 2019 at 10:04pm
Still need to reduce the volume of the rear chamber to 17L. 

Posted By: mobiele eenheid
Date Posted: 18 January 2019 at 4:44am
Why?

Date Posted: 18 January 2019 at 8:52am
When I increase the chamber size my frequency response graph become very logarithmic, with big peaks and dips. By keeping the chamber to 17l it allows me to have a lower HPF and higher LPF. 

As a plus it also seems to control the excursion. 

Posted By: FrederikMA
Date Posted: 19 January 2019 at 3:51pm
Have you changed your hornresp values upon realizing what the directivity does to your response? As I understand, you are having problems trying to reduce front chamber volume to maintain high frequency extension, while the directivity response indicates too much high frequency energy?

Posted By: FrederikMA
Date Posted: 19 January 2019 at 3:57pm
The perfectly rigid boundery condition in hornresp can cause unrealistic peaks. If the rear volume affects your response in a weird way, try moddeling it with stuffing (lined).

Date Posted: 19 January 2019 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by FrederikMA FrederikMA wrote:

The perfectly rigid boundery condition in hornresp can cause unrealistic peaks. If the rear volume affects your response in a weird way, try moddeling it with stuffing (lined).

Thanks for the tips! I'm now able to get the same response on axis with 20mm of lining at an FR of 4000, I do have a 4-5db peak off axis between 10-30 degrees between 200hz and 500hz. 

Not sure If this needs to be resolved or not?

Date Posted: 19 January 2019 at 10:47pm
My most recent attempt, 8 litre chamber plus 2.5l for the volume of the driver. 

Date Posted: 19 January 2019 at 10:50pm
Unfortunately the small chamber is causing some serious displacement issues.

Date Posted: 19 January 2019 at 11:01pm
some more sims

Date Posted: 19 January 2019 at 11:17pm
Had a go at porting the horn again with fairly nice results, gained some low end with only a little lost sensitivity and much better xmax control.

Date Posted: 20 January 2019 at 12:06am
Excuse the F1 style front panel, it wasn't intentional, but it makes it really easy to get the 15" in and out! 

This is the cabinet matching the last and most recent plot, I've got the excursion under control down to 101hz and the 15 just about makes it to 370hz. So not absolutely perfect for meeting the sonitus mr8xt but acceptable. 

Date Posted: 21 January 2019 at 2:49pm
So I played around with porting a bit more but couldn't get rid of the dip at 250hz. I've decided to move the STH100 up 15mm, this is to allow me to increase the size of the small  fibreglass chamber in front of the driver. The sweet spot seems to be between 12l and 15l. 

In the current format I can always go ported later in real life testing and make various chambers to play with tuning. 

I will also experiment with some different drivers at some point in Hornresp. 

Posted By: JulianDA
Date Posted: 21 January 2019 at 4:02pm
Dont you think the sudden jump in area at the bend of your horn will cause unwanted resonances? maybe you should try to implement this in your simulation before building a prototype :)

Date Posted: 21 January 2019 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by JulianDA JulianDA wrote:

Dont you think the sudden jump in area at the bend of your horn will cause unwanted resonances? maybe you should try to implement this in your simulation before building a prototype :)

I have simulated the full horn in Hornresp as it is drawn in CAD and haven't been able to notice and resonances at this time. If you have any suggestions on how I might go about simulating this differently or more accurately? in hornresp or any other software I'd be interested to know!?

My hope is that mouth area is large enough and cabinet construction rigid enough that resonances do not occur in the passband. I would fully expect to see them higher up but I only plan on using this section of the cabinet between 120 - 400hz. 

In an ideal world I would be able to get the horn with -3db to 80hz, at the movement I can get down to 100hz -3db but I run out of xmax at 105hz so plan on passing at 120hz to be safe. 

Date Posted: 21 January 2019 at 4:37pm
One question I have been racking my brain over recently is if this section of the vtc chamber is counted as the LRC or the S1 path length? At the moment (shown in grey) it is modelled as the lrc. The red line shows if I where to sim it as the s1.

Posted By: toastyghost
Date Posted: 21 January 2019 at 10:25pm
You're actually starting to look like a design that mykey did back in the day, just minus the phase lug.

Date Posted: 21 January 2019 at 10:27pm
I'll take that as a compliment! Always loved Mykey's work. 

Date Posted: 21 January 2019 at 10:59pm
Here are some simulations with different drivers:

Most simmed like the Faital pro hp1020 but the ndl88 and Oberton 15b450 looked slightly better than the ndl76. I'm trying to stick to neodymium drivers to keep the size and weight of the enclosure down. The tops will probably weigh 40-50kg plus so any weight saving is a plus. 

So far I have simmed: FP 15fh520, FP 15fhp1020, Beyma 15lw30, B&C NDL88, B&C NDL76, emi kappalite 3015lf, Oberton 15b450

B&C 15ndl76 - Grey 
Faital Pro hp1020 - black

B&C 15ndl76 - Grey 
B&C 15ndl88 - Black

B&C 15ndl76 - Grey 
Oberton 15b450 - Black

Date Posted: 21 January 2019 at 11:12pm
Oberton 12b450- grey
Pd.153er - Black
Pd.153er - Grey
Pd.1550 - black

Date Posted: 23 January 2019 at 12:39am
So after spending more time reading and experimenting on hornresp. I have come to a few conclusions on this design. 

As it is with my current horn path length my pass band is limited to 112hz - 400hz within +/-3db which is 12hz higher than my ideal high pass and 100hz higher than my orginal low pass.

With the Oberton 15b450 and pd.153er I can gain slightly higher lowpass at around 500hz although this is not nessecary for my design requirements. However, given the low price of the Oberton, £121.45 (bluearan) I will definetley keep it as a possible future option. The NDl88 also simmed well.

The cabinet in it's current layout seems to like drivers with a small Vas, Bl around 20, large xmax and relativley large VC.

To gain a better response below 105hz without going into the xmax I need to increase the horn length, which I'm reluctant to do as it does not seem to provide any significant improvement. For a few extra hz - around 10 - I reduce the low pass and lower overall sensitivity.

Porting gets me down to 85hz but the trade-off with sensitvity and lpf doesn't seem worth it. My average sensitivity is around 100.5db and the xmax is still too high. 

In terms of concerns, the off-axis response is around 3db higher between 200-400hz the the standard plot and the response is a bit peaky at max spl, looks a little like the golden arches!  

My cabinet dimensions are  H x 1036mm W x  537mm D x 472mm which is very close to my orignal size parameters, which I'm very happy about. 

I also set out to acheive 102db sensitivy +/-3db in the pass band which I have managed. 

Here's my proposed crossover points, simmed in hornresp.

Date Posted: 23 January 2019 at 12:10pm

I have simulated the full horn in Hornresp as it is drawn in CAD and haven't been able to notice and resonances at this time. If you have any suggestions on how I might go about simulating this differently or more accurately? in hornresp or any other software I'd be interested to know!?

Can you post your latest Hornresp inputs (and maybe a sketch with the relevant measurements)? Maybe I just have a wrong understanding for how you did the simulation LOL

Date Posted: 23 January 2019 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by JulianDA JulianDA wrote:

Can you post your latest Hornresp inputs (and maybe a sketch with the relevant measurements)? Maybe I just have a wrong understanding for how you did the simulation LOL

Hopefully this covers it. 

Date Posted: 31 January 2019 at 5:56pm
So, I've re-worked the horn path and decided to go back to the earlier porting idea, removing the need for the small reuction chamber in front of the cone and such a high compression ratio. 

Hopefully this will help to reduce the forces on the cone, it also allows me to play down to 80hz, realistically I will only ever cross at 100hz + though.

Date Posted: 31 January 2019 at 6:01pm
One other issue I'm facing is getting a smooth response up to 350-400hz. Playing with the horn path has made it better but it is not as linear or quite as sensitive as I would like.

In hornresp I've had a go adding filters and EQ, just wondering on what people think of this and if it is a step in the wrong direction. I know off-axis I have a 3db boost between 200-300hz.

Is it worth just protoyping and mucking around with filters and eq after measurements?

I'm just trying to get the design as good as I can before I prototype. It's doesn't cost me money doing this!  

Date Posted: 31 January 2019 at 8:18pm
Massive change in horn path again, with very good results if I can squeeze an extra 50 hz - 75hz out of it.

this is 4pi.

Posted By: fatfreddiescat
Date Posted: 31 January 2019 at 9:17pm
Somewhat interesting horn profile?

Date Posted: 31 January 2019 at 10:02pm
I agree it looks bizarre but in theory it works...

Date Posted: 31 January 2019 at 10:29pm
Any cavity in front of the cone wkll reduce the HF ouput of the driver, ie will result in a bandpass response, all horns are bandpass devices but by reducing that cavity you move the lowpass filter effect upwards, have you seen the diy60/90 boxes?

Date Posted: 31 January 2019 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by fatfreddiescat fatfreddiescat wrote:

Any cavity in front of the cone wkll reduce the HF ouput of the driver, ie will result in a bandpass response, all horns are bandpass devices but by reducing that cavity you move the lowpass filter effect upwards, have you seen the diy60/90 boxes?

Thanks for the input, I'm tuning the port to one octave lower than the horn at 70hz. The cab has been a difficult and frustrating balancing game. The more I do it though the faster I seem to able to correct issues it constantly produces.

I'm trying to make the horn shorter horn at the moment so that it will run comfortably to 375 - 400hz and adding a port in a large rear chamber to compensate for the lost low end.

Also, yes I have seen it over on https://soundforums.net/community/threads/60-degree-diy-mid-hi.12390/" rel="nofollow - soundforums it's an interesting cabinet with nice results, pricey drivers though.

Date Posted: 31 January 2019 at 10:49pm
Ok, should have said the back of the cone in your design, l was refering to the throat and the horn profile used in the diy as an example of how to get the hf extension.

Date Posted: 01 February 2019 at 12:22am

Ok, should have said the back of the cone in your design, l was refering to the throat and the horn profile used in the diy as an example of how to get the hf extension.

Not to worry, I've been trying to get that down to 9L for a while now, currently it's at 11.8L

Date Posted: 01 February 2019 at 1:46am
Slight adjustment to the driver placement and a new horn resp matching the cad file.

Intrested to know peoples thoughts on the ports being in the horn mouth?

Sim is on axis so down about 3db on the high end, sims much better than any previous sim from my models. No real displacment issues down to 80hz and goes up to about 330hz with out too much lost spl but I'd like to try and push it higher. I'm thinking of filling sections of the chamber with styrofoam during the testing.

Date Posted: 01 February 2019 at 8:34am
The second to last drawing looks like a better profile, throat chamber includes any negative expansion after the cone, the area at the exit of the chamber will work as a resonant system forming a second order lowpass filter, small chamber with an expansion will minimise that effect so larger throat and smaller chamber will result in a higher cutoff frequency. A non expansion could act as a lumped mass ie like a port tube also adding to the effect of the lowpass filter, not in a good way.
Wish I had your drawing skills in Inventor, plan for today is to put some time aside and hopefully not jut look at it with a glazed look as usual, been pulling my hair out trying to get to grips with it.
With regards to ports in the mouth, I don't think you will see any real effect as so close to the mouth though David did include the ability to model it in HR some time ago, I tried to model a box that had the port at the throat, that didn't show any useful results, very different to the measured response, since he added that feature I have managed to lose all my measured data of frequency response and  impedance plots, it could well be that I have just misused HR though - more likely than not.

Posted By: smitske96
Date Posted: 01 February 2019 at 9:49am
Did you take in account the volume that's occupied by the driver itself? For the ndl76 it's 3,5 L.

Date Posted: 01 February 2019 at 11:02am
The second to last drawing looks like a better profile, throat chamber includes any negative expansion after the cone, the area at the exit of the chamber will work as a resonant system forming a second order lowpass filter, small chamber with an expansion will minimise that effect so larger throat and smaller chamber will result in a higher cutoff frequency. A non expansion could act as a lumped mass ie like a port tube also adding to the effect of the lowpass filter, not in a good way.

This matches up perfectly to what I have encountered this morning, if I model the throat chamber as a negative expansion section I end up with a big dip in response between 100-250hz. I can remove this by shortening the first section of the horn to 58mm from 197mm, unfortunately this is difficult to implement in the cad file. I'm not even sure it will be possible.

BIG
Wish I had your drawing skills in Inventor

Never actually spent any time on Inventor, looks like a very nice bit of software. I mostly use Solidworks, Rhino, Autocad and Grasshopper.

plan for today is to put some time aside and hopefully not jut look at it with a glazed look as usual, been pulling my hair out trying to get to grips with it.
With regards to ports in the mouth, I don't think you will see any real effect as so close to the mouth though David did include the ability to model it in HR some time ago, I tried to model a box that had the port at the throat, that didn't show any useful results, very different to the measured response, since he added that feature I have managed to lose all my measured data of frequency response and impedance plots, it could well be that I have just misused HR though - more likely than not.

Thanks for the help info on the port I was hoping that was the case.

Date Posted: 01 February 2019 at 11:12am
Did you take in account the volume that's occupied by the driver itself? For the ndl76 it's 3,5 L.

Not sure where you got 3.5L from, when I modelled the driver (from the tech drawing and actual driver) I measured 9.281L of displacement in the VRC.

The way I reached that measurement was by creating a solid cube around the driver and intersecting the two components. This removes all the space occupied by the driver basket cone and magnet. It's a very accurate and reliable method.

The volume of the cube without the driver was 31.59L and the volume minus driver from cube was 22.3519 L, this leaves me to conclude that the drivers total displacement in it's current orientation is 9.2813L.

Date Posted: 01 February 2019 at 11:24am
SO at the moment I need to shorten the throat length to a maximum of 58mm, at moment is currently sitting at 208.7mm. I also need to keep the VRC chamber as small as possible.

Unfortunately I can't move the driver any closer to the s1 as it is already as low as close as it can get.

Date Posted: 01 February 2019 at 11:42am
If I remove the volume reducing section of the throat chamber I can get a good result, provided the area up to the S1 act's as the VRC and not a negative expansion horn segment.

Here's what happens when the volume of the VRC is reduced (grey is 15L red is (9.4L)

If I increase the size to it's current size with no volume reduction in any way it is 18.8L when the 9.281L of driver displacement has been removed. Maybe if I stick a big ferrite driver in there I can loose some more volume! 

(grey 15L, Red 18.8L)

Posted By: smitske96
Date Posted: 01 February 2019 at 11:49am
It's in the specsheet of the nld76 under "occupied volume by driver".

Date Posted: 01 February 2019 at 12:02pm
In my measurements the driver itself is 3.7L, but the displcment in the chamber is much larger.

Date Posted: 01 February 2019 at 12:04pm

Date Posted: 01 February 2019 at 12:27pm
Okay so I did it again just to make sure, here's the results:

First picture is the volume of the shape with nothing subtracted/intersected.

Second is after intersection.

Looks like you were right! Think this means I need to start check my late night CAD modeling when I'm a litttle more rested!  

Also apart from feeling a bit stupid I'm quite happy, I was only 9ml ! over what the manufacturers claimed displacment!

Thank you for spotting my error! 

Date Posted: 01 February 2019 at 12:35pm
Now i've got to remove 7L without creating another horn segment/throat! It's royally cocked up my sim! 

Date Posted: 01 February 2019 at 1:54pm
Hoping to be able to conisder all of the blue section as my VRC and not yet part of my horn path.

Date Posted: 01 February 2019 at 2:07pm
Other slightly nutty idea is a massive phase plug in the vrc. something like this 

Date Posted: 01 February 2019 at 2:26pm
To my knowledge your frontchamber ends at the place of smallest area inside your hornpath. So the blue part seems correct. But is there a special reason to have it angled like you did? i always simulate to the smallest point, so for me it would end in a straight horizontal line.
Oh and sorry for not replying after you posted your Hornresp input. I did simulate it myself, but then i forgot to answer in time LOL

Date Posted: 01 February 2019 at 2:32pm
It doesn't fit any other way I've tried! it's a trapezoidal cab which makes everything difficult!

It's got a 20 degree splay angle so unless I make it wider I cant move the driver angle the driver any more or lower down it down.

Hopefully this picture helps to explain it.

Date Posted: 01 February 2019 at 2:57pm

Hoping to be able to conisder all of the blue section as my VRC and not yet part of my horn path.

I mean the blue part in this picture. The angle of the end of the frontchamber doesnt make sense to me. I would mark the end horizontal to the back of the cab at the smallest point (so it gets a little bit bigger)

Date Posted: 02 February 2019 at 8:23pm
So I have spent a little while changing the chamber around and this seems to work a little better, the chamber is now 21.4 % smaller, however it's still not small enough for the bandwidth extension I want. 

Date Posted: 02 February 2019 at 8:34pm
Could you not flip the driver, face it against a baffle board with a slot forming the throat, the chamber would then become little more than that of cone, if you search for martin 215 mkIII you will see what I'm refering to, you would have a near 180 degree bend but may work, wouldn't be hard to build a non trap box to test the concept.

Date Posted: 02 February 2019 at 8:49pm
Looks like I  might finally have a design now, If I put my 20 degree off-axis plot on top of my on-axis plot this is what I get.  

Plan is to cross 90 -360hz to the Mr8xt which will cross 340-2500hz then CD10fe/sth100 to 20khz. Should be around 140db +/- 3db spl continuous at full power.

I imagine I will need a bit of +3db eq between 330 -400hz and 120 - 150 hz.

Next step for me is to look into the issue of wave cancellation in the horn mouth.

Date Posted: 02 February 2019 at 8:55pm
Cool, look forward to seeing the results, for some reason I thought you using Inventor as was going to ask if you could a a screen capture vid on the drawing process, will get there eventually.

Date Posted: 02 February 2019 at 9:44pm
I can do a capture video of modelling in Solidworks if you want? 

Date Posted: 02 February 2019 at 9:56pm
That's a very kind offer, I could possibly ask my son to look it over with me as he has some experience with both solidworks and inventor although we only have inventor available to us at the moment, he should be able to help me translate the process into inventor.

Date Posted: 02 February 2019 at 10:05pm
I can get a 30 day free trial of inventor, I'm happy to have a go and post a video of cab design once I've got my head around it.

I'll probably stick it in another seperate thread on speakerplans.

Date Posted: 02 February 2019 at 10:28pm
That would be brilliant and should be useful to all, thank you.

Date Posted: 03 February 2019 at 11:51pm
Little more progress on the horn path to improve the LPF & linearity of the response.

Date Posted: 03 February 2019 at 11:52pm
Front chamber is now down to 16L and the s2 and s3 have increased a fair bit.

Date Posted: 03 February 2019 at 11:59pm
Here's the 2pi in case anyone is interested, I wish it looked this good in 4pi! 

(not too bad for just over 125L, I don't think)

Posted By: shello79
Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 12:46am
any progress on this idea

-------------
Work hard play even harder

Date Posted: 06 March 2019 at 11:30pm
No big progress yet, I've been working a lot recently and havn't had much energy. 

I'm increasing the throat size to reduce the compression ratio, I'm also moving away from the porting. My thoughts being if I can't get the results I want with a sealed chamber there is nothing stoping me adding them at a later date. 

Removing the ports has a few noticable implications it increases output above 130hz and causes it to drop drastically below 120hz. To increase output in the lower region I have to reduce the chamber volume to 40L. 

Interestingly if I model the horn as a single section (without ports) the off axis response is relativley smooth and very sensitive. 

Posted By: RoadRunnersDust
Date Posted: 12 March 2019 at 10:21pm
Thumbs Up Interesting design/build to follow!

Have you tried sim'ing the Beyma 15LW30 in it?

-------------
www.guildfordcablecompany.co.uk" rel="nofollow - www.guildfordcablecompany.co.uk

Date Posted: 13 March 2019 at 8:17pm
Hi Luthier, just found this again, I was meaning to post it a while back but couldn't find it,
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/279476-3d-modeling-tips-tricks.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/279476-3d-modeling-tips-tricks.html

Date Posted: 15 March 2019 at 8:58am
Originally posted by RoadRunnersDust RoadRunnersDust wrote:

Thumbs Up Interesting design/build to follow!
Have you tried sim'ing the Beyma 15LW30 in it?

Thanks! 

I did try it in the ported  version. Here's the Beyma (grey) vs the 15ndl76 (black)

Date Posted: 15 March 2019 at 10:38am
Thanks for that, It was a really informative read!

Date Posted: 15 March 2019 at 11:32am

Hi Luthier, just found this again, I was meaning to post it a while back but couldn't find it,
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/279476-3d-modeling-tips-tricks.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/279476-3d-modeling-tips-tricks.html

Thanks for that, It was a really informative read!

Date Posted: 01 April 2019 at 11:13pm
So before the big update on the project here's a screen grab from solidworks; you can see a couple of fouling issues but this is pretty much the final layout for prototyping. 

Date Posted: 01 April 2019 at 11:35pm
So here's the big update! 

I've CNC routed both side panels for one cabinet, but it didn't come out all that great. The software native to the router is bit of a pig and doesn't like working with STL files. For good results I wanted to use combination milling but the tool paths were ridiculous (it would have taken over 3 hours per side) so I ended up using Z-axis milling. This worked but meant the pieces needed a bit of fettling so I cracked out my hand planes as It’s much quicker for me than the router table.   

On a side note the cutter was also really blunt which left some less than desirable results.  

Posted By: studio45
Date Posted: 02 April 2019 at 2:09pm
Great work! 

I've got a Boxford system too. The software sucks donkey balls! I feel your pain!

I've been looking into upgrades to allow the use of Mach3 via USB/Ethernet. Seems like it can be done with ~£120 worth of Chinesium from th'eBay...maybe? Or perhaps that will just lose steps all over the parish and be exactly 0% better! Difficult to tell from online reviews, as people with good working machines don't bother to post reviews....

I like the look of your dust extraction cowl, got any more photos of the machine?

-------------
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA

Posted By: T-Bone
Date Posted: 02 April 2019 at 6:32pm
Nice work, just curious will this be a diy project meaning plans will be available since the 8" horn is already available from Adam Hall? Was also thinking about in 15 mm cab for lighter ply. Been looking for something like this for a long time. I was planning on building Dref's new Omega mid top since 2013 on this site but the 10" horn was a lot of work plus tuning would have taken a lot of hours to build a specific phase plug. But was a good diy for someone that has experience in building mid tops of higher caliber. Will be waiting for your final product luthier.Big smile

-------------
BASS, how low can you go!

Date Posted: 03 April 2019 at 9:00am
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Great work! 

I've got a Boxford system too. The software sucks donkey balls! I feel your pain!

I've been looking into upgrades to allow the use of Mach3 via USB/Ethernet. Seems like it can be done with ~£120 worth of Chinesium from th'eBay...maybe? Or perhaps that will just lose steps all over the parish and be exactly 0% better! Difficult to tell from online reviews, as people with good working machines don't bother to post reviews....

I like the look of your dust extraction cowl, got any more photos of the machine?

LOL Yeah it's a pig alright,... 

'll have to have a look into mach 3. Sounds interesting! 

The dust extraction cowl was made by a colleague, I'll grab some close ups when I'm next in. It works really well just makes the tool change a bit tricky. 

Date Posted: 03 April 2019 at 9:42am
Nice work, just curious will this be a diy project meaning plans will be available since the 8" horn is already available from Adam Hall?

Not sure about releasing plans, it would make a very difficult DIY build due to the compound angles inherent with a bph in a trapezoidal cab.

The 8" isn't likely to stay but there's another thread about my own 8" I'm trying to develop.

Was also thinking about in 15 mm cab for lighter ply. 

15mm birch is quite hard to get hold of as not many places stock it. I've always had to order it in and wait a week. The weight difference is nothing crazy 33kg for 15mm and 37.5kg 18mm. I could adjust the plans for 15mn but I'd rather have the extra strength. 

Been looking for something like this for a long time. I was planning on building Dref's new Omega mid top since 2013 on this site but the 10" horn was a lot of work plus tuning would have taken a lot of hours to build a specific phase plug. But was a good diy for someone that has experience in building mid tops of higher caliber. Will be waiting for your final product luthier.Big smile

Never seen Dref's plan but I'd like to, I'll have to search it up. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net