URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=104281
Printed Date: 19 April 2024 at 1:35am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Opus Audio
Posted By: Jacxy
Subject: Opus Audio
Date Posted: 21 September 2019 at 8:21pm
Hi folkes,

I have been wanting to write this for a while now and hoping someone can help me. I'm just trying to find some general history and people with personal experience on this particular brand as it seems to be very elusive and not to mention very interesting (well to myself at least) and rare on the second hand market.

I would love to be educated on Opus Audio soooo...

What have ya got then guys?Wink Thanks in advanceSmile

-------------
Almost everyone is born a genius and buried an idiot.

Replies:
Posted By: boots-hifi
Date Posted: 21 September 2019 at 9:48pm
Pm forum member Opus Jodey he will educate you in anything you want to know I’m sure. Personally I’ve only had good experiences with Opus myself, never owned any but I’ve listen to lots over the years. 

Date Posted: 21 September 2019 at 10:29pm
Thank you boots-hifi I'll do just that!

-------------

Posted By: ceharden
Date Posted: 22 September 2019 at 1:00am
Big, very heavy but essentially a very loud hi-fi!  Heard some really nice sounding Opus rigs but I wouldn't want to tour it!

Posted By: mk2_ginger_biscuit69
Date Posted: 22 September 2019 at 8:19pm
giant hifi as said, but lots & lots & lots left going is very tired, cones lost all tightness etc (it was most popular a long time ago), so sorry to say i haven't heard any decent opus since Jodys rig in years. Not very efficient/loud for the size/weight compared to modern offerings either.

that being said, their MP12 wedge/midtop is one of my favourite reflex tops ever made!!

-------------
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''

Posted By: ceharden
Date Posted: 23 September 2019 at 12:46am
HB215 is one of the best kick bins I've heard and the AT2000 mid-top is a monster.

I refurbed some HB121's quite a few years ago with monster P-Audio 21" drivers.  They shifted some serious air in stacks of 4.

Shame to hear a lot of what's out there currently doesn't match up to what it was originally capable of.

Posted By: studio45
Date Posted: 24 September 2019 at 3:27pm
I've really really liked everything of theirs I've ever heard. They have a robust design philosophy and don't make cheap bad-sounding things just to get sales. I would really recommend buying Opus if you have the chance :)
I wouldn't worry too much about the old drivers being "tired" - a) I'm not even sure that's a thing and b) They will happily sell you modern replacements or recones, if you feel like you need them.

-------------
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA

Date Posted: 24 September 2019 at 3:36pm
Really grateful for all the input peeps. Finding it really interesting and also very valuable.

There does seem to be a prominent fact however that what's remains out there seems to be deteriorating. I remember seeing some monster 3 way mids up on eBay a couple years ago (unaware of model names) they looked insane but in extremely poor condition and yes, very heavy lol...LOL

Edit, I've heard that the amps are extremely heavy also.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 September 2019 at 4:30pm
Yes it was the AT2000 I mentioned in my previous comment, that's the one.

-------------

Posted By: wires
Date Posted: 24 September 2019 at 6:02pm
1) ‘what remains out there’ on the second hand market is likely to be pretty old boxes by now, so have lasted a long time which is a testament to the build quality.

Tired drivers is surely the responsibility of the user to get sorted?

2) there have been a fair few people replacing drivers in opus boxes with incorrect cheaper models, which can’t be helped unfortunately.
I’ve seen this plenty of times done to other brands; ASS, Shermann, fk1, d&b, etc.

Is it really a brands product if the internals are different?

3) opus do use neo stuff these days, so the boxes are lighter. Although the amps are still bloody heavy!

4) you can always buy new opus products if you want to hear their latest range. It’s still very good imo!

5) Jodie’s opus(ish) rig is an absolutely pleasure to listen to and mix on! Definitely a system you need to hear at least once if you are an audio nerd 🤓 

Date Posted: 24 September 2019 at 7:01pm
Yes it is the owners responsibility, but alas its a lot of money for people to spend if they a) cant afford too, or b) dont realise.

and yes, drivers are moving parts, they do wear out over time. HF can go dull and lifeless, and drivers can lose their 'tightness', resulting in dull flat output compared to the factory output. It certainly is a thing!

-------------
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

Posted By: toastyghost
Date Posted: 24 September 2019 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

Yes it is the owners responsibility, but alas its a lot of money for people to spend if they a) cant afford too, or b) dont realise.

and yes, drivers are moving parts, they do wear out over time. HF can go dull and lifeless, and drivers can lose their 'tightness', resulting in dull flat output compared to the factory output. It certainly is a thing!

A professional operation should recone their everything over a certain period, regardless. Five years realistically, at the outside.

Date Posted: 24 September 2019 at 7:04pm
a pro operation doesn't tend to own anything that long Cool

-------------

Date Posted: 24 September 2019 at 8:12pm
Reading jbl_mans thread this evening on recycling or giving older stuff a new lease of life (great read by the way) has really got some thoughts thinking about old Opus cabs lolLOL 

I could be just dreaming though, very hard to come by and the ones I have found have all been fully restored already. 

-------------

Posted By: Justjake303
Date Posted: 15 January 2020 at 3:39pm
ive owned and loved my opus Soundsystem for years now and it is an absolute animal. The quality has never failed to put a smile on peoples faces at parties.
I have
2x CS750
4x SB218 (Ciare driver upgrade to 2kw per bin)
1x XS234 crossover
2x HD 1250/500 midtop amps
2x HD 2500/2500 Bass amps

As I live fairly local to the opus guys all work has always been carried out by them to their standards.
although now being a single dad I'm looking for a new home and someone who can work these beauties like they deserve.

Date Posted: 15 January 2020 at 3:40pm
Cant work out how to upload an image for the life of me else I would have included images :)

Posted By: BJtheDJ
Date Posted: 15 January 2020 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Justjake303 Justjake303 wrote:

Cant work out how to upload an image for the life of me else I would have included images :)

When you have made more than 10 posts you will then be able to upload pictures to these forums, by clicking on the 'tree' icon above the message composition window and following the instructions.

Or post your pic/pix to an external site and post a link with your message

-------------
It's a difficult choice, would you rather have:

A: A vegan son.
B: An OnlyFans daughter

Date Posted: 15 January 2020 at 4:40pm
ah thank you lets get some posting points racked up then

Posted By: 4D
Date Posted: 15 January 2020 at 7:01pm
Another afficienado is Sheffield based  Mr James Folkes ex mod of this forum he was a martin modular man but in recent years has had this pervy thing for blue carpet,  for various reasons he no longer frequents the board but has been known to pop up on FaeceBook.

Bearded Theory is Opus Jody's next outing that I know off.  

-------------
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"

Date Posted: 15 January 2020 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

Another afficienado is Sheffield based  Mr James Folkes ex mod of this forum he was a martin modular man but in recent years has had this pervy thing for blue carpet,  for various reasons he no longer frequents the board but has been known to pop up on FaeceBook.

ah brilliant maybe have to use a friends fb account and see if they are of any use to him. Thank you

Posted By: NOISEYNEIGHBOURS
Date Posted: 15 January 2020 at 7:16pm
Is this the opus that’s been in Exeter/Devon for the last few years, heard this a while ago never heard opus sing so sweeet...bad boi, is it for sale is it?? 🔊🔊🔊🔊

ive owned and loved my opus Soundsystem for years now and it is an absolute animal. The quality has never failed to put a smile on peoples faces at parties.
I have
2x CS750
1x XS234 crossover

As I live fairly local to the opus guys all work has always been carried out by them to their standards.
although now being a single dad I'm looking for a new home and someone who can work these beauties like they deserve.

-------------
"nice headphones, are they beats?"

Date Posted: 15 January 2020 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by NOISEYNEIGHBOURS NOISEYNEIGHBOURS wrote:

Is this the opus that’s been in Exeter/Devon for the last few years, heard this a while ago never heard opus sing so sweeet...bad boi, is it for sale is it?? 🔊🔊🔊🔊

I have
2x CS750
1x XS234 crossover

Thanks yeah unfortunately I have to let it go as mentioned before. Nothing but the best work has been carried out on these they have been my pride and joy 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REDUCED-Opus-Audio-Developments-PA-Soundsystem-Ciare-Drivers-Speakers-And-Amps/324000655847?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D487ad23c860f4d0d814d72bf1b728467%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D173344927543%26itm%3D324000655847%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

Date Posted: 15 January 2020 at 7:26pm
uploads/18316/IMG_0611.doc" rel="nofollow - uploads/18316/IMG_0611.doc

Posted By: jackSpug
Date Posted: 15 January 2020 at 8:19pm
Just popped up on my faceache feed
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F324000655847" rel="nofollow - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F324000655847

-------------
two people use this account

Posted By: BJtheDJ
Date Posted: 15 January 2020 at 8:41pm

uploads/18316/IMG_0611.doc" rel="nofollow - uploads/18316/IMG_0611.doc

For some reason you have saved this as a .doc file

Change the extension to .jpg so that it can be viewed.

-------------
It's a difficult choice, would you rather have:

A: A vegan son.
B: An OnlyFans daughter

Posted By: jacethebase
Date Posted: 16 January 2020 at 8:16am
Just a thought.

Do your self a bit of a favour and loose the picture of the system sat outside a garage.

Personally I wouldn't buy a 25 year old sound system that has been stored in a single block concrete garage. That's not me saying the systems not perfect. Just an observation.

With regards to pricing, IMHO it's too close to used D&B C7 again, not saying that's better. Just easier to sell to clients than Opus.

I don't know If Jody or James would be interested. But they are both seriously lovely people wouldn't do any harm to chat with them.

-------------
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com

Date Posted: 16 January 2020 at 8:16am

Posted By: studio45
Date Posted: 16 January 2020 at 4:00pm

"I'm selling all my Modular to free up space in the lockup!"

HA!

-------------
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA

Date Posted: 16 January 2020 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

"I'm selling all my Modular to free up space in the lockup!"

HA!

hahaha well done you made a funnyClap

Posted By: Ionkontrol
Date Posted: 17 January 2020 at 11:20pm
The Freerotation festival in Wales has been Opus powered for years, heavy as .

Posted By: norty303
Date Posted: 21 January 2020 at 12:31pm

Magical Sounds is taking a year sabbatical, so unless Jody is supplying another stage it'll (hopefully) be 2021.

-------------
My laser stuff: http://www.facebook.com/SubsonicSystems" rel="nofollow - Frikkin Lasers

Posted By: 4D
Date Posted: 21 January 2020 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

Magical Sounds is taking a year sabbatical, so unless Jody is supplying another stage it'll (hopefully) be 2021.

Hey Adam.. 

Yes I saw James over the weekend, down south collecting a replacement LDV and he mentioned it was time out for Bearded Theory.  Shame as Mark Pendragon is hosting the Sunday  James also mentioned he purchased the Opus amps from Richard Hart & now has a surfeit of Opusfanalia..  

Also 

How are you , have you recovered from your racetrack flying lesson..  

-------------
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"

Posted By: el chupacabra
Date Posted: 21 January 2020 at 4:19pm
Guessing those amps from Richard Hart at one point lived at Universal AV in Bradford. I did a bit of 2005 - 2006 working in their warehouse as a youth and was captivated by the CS750, AT 2000 and HB215 and 21" subs also I think? Always assumed part of the company formed in the 90's dance market or something as it was a very different animal to the linearrays and that. Fantastic wedges too - the mp550 and perhaps mp400 was the 12" version?

edit: @ 4D - those two old lab gruppen 1300c and 2000c I met you at Tunbridge Wells forum with came from Bradford aswell - ex hire stock of TMC when they were winding down and then got bought out by SSE in the end I believe.

Date Posted: 21 January 2020 at 5:32pm
yeah, the MP400 12"&2" wedge is one of my favourite sounding wedge monitors ever made, even the crossovers are hench. Stupidly heavy though!

the MP550 is also good, but not so smooth a midrange for my taste.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net