Print Page | Close Window

speaker set up help needed

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Newbie Discussion
Forum Description: Newbie Discussion/Questions. Look less stupid here...
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=104552
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 10:06am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: speaker set up help needed
Posted By: djgorey
Subject: speaker set up help needed
Date Posted: 01 December 2019 at 11:06am
Hi all

My rig is Ohm BR-12 tops with either (depending on the size of the gig) Ohm BRS-12 or TRS-118 powered by Matrix through a Berry Ultradrive.

I really like it.  Coming from my mates slightly knackered HK rig, the sound is lovely and flat and it was a relief after using Mackie SRM-450s to not have my ears burnt off!  The 118's in particular are incredible.

However, I put my rig in for my mate last night and his comment was that for the first dance (Good Hands by Gregory Porter) it sounded amazing, but after that it lacked "excitement" and energy.  Whilst I take his comments with a pinch of salt (he likes it really toppy), I kind of see his point and I wonder if some eq-ing could help with a more engaging sound on the tops.

I don't have the knowledge to be able to set it up properly.  I've got some figures from Ohm for some eq points and values, but I don't know how to "read" them and understand what they translate to in real life.  At the moment, the only changes I've made are the HPF and LPF according to the recommended figures on Ohm's website and limiter values based on the calculator somebody posted on here.  I then turned down the input and output gains on the berry to make sure that when I had my mixer peaking nicely I was just below the limiter on the berry.  I then turn up the amps as and when I need more volume.

I was just wondering if there is someone in S Wales/Bristol who would be free one Friday or Saturday evening to have a play with my set up and see what they can do with it?  I know an amazing sound engineer who I used to work with and I'm just trying to get his number to ask him too.  I'd be able to sort you out beer and pay for your time.

The figures from Ohm are so if someone could tell me what they mean, that would be great:

Gain

Pol.

Delay

Freq

Shape

Slope

Width

Gain

2 & 4 (2-4)

dB

ms

Hz

dB

oct

dB

2 & 5 (2-6)

HPF Freq

24 Butterworth

LPF Freq

OUT

24 L-R

EQ>-

1.43 K

EQ1

EQ2

4.99 K

EQ3

18.9 K

EQ4

EQ5

8.01 K

EQ6

1.75 K

EQ-<

20.0 K

Thresh.

-------------
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together

Replies:
Posted By: Bline.bowser
Date Posted: 03 January 2020 at 10:50pm
i know it sounds stupid but you know windows media and quicktime have eq settings. get some decent headphones and listen to you typical playlist you would play on the rig and scroll through the preset eqs and see what you prefer the sound of and write down what freq is adjusted to where then play same song on rig and adjust ur eq to basically match and if its sounds the "same" then from there u can start tweeking freqs and seeing what they do to the sound and then your normally find your sweet spot but remember you cant please everyone.
 im strange with sound ive gotta have gut jiggling bass from ass scoops mid and vocal pfft not bothered but has to have that stardust twinkle right at the top. also are the xovers set in the best places sometimes if your out a bit on the tops give you a dead spot.

Posted By: Bline.bowser
Date Posted: 17 March 2020 at 10:55pm
Howd you get on with this any update

Posted By: djgorey
Date Posted: 18 March 2020 at 8:33am
I haven’t really had a proper play. Christmas was a case of “it works, don’t touch it” and since NYE I haven’t had any gigs or the opportunity to really get it out and have a play. I’m off work from the day job at the moment so might pop down the garage and grab the berry so I can have a play - I can always pop in some settings on a saved preset and if it doesn’t work just revert to my current one. 

-------------
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net