Print Page | Close Window

Compact 2 way fullrange cabinet

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: General
Forum Name: 12v Powered Systems
Forum Description: From Mini-rigs to ICE, all your low voltage audio needs here...
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=104760
Printed Date: 16 April 2024 at 6:49am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Compact 2 way fullrange cabinet
Posted By: Monkeys
Subject: Compact 2 way fullrange cabinet
Date Posted: 28 January 2020 at 4:53am
This might be ambitious, but I'm looking in to building a fairly compact high efficiency 2-way "full-range" cabinet for use in a 12v rig. Minimal size, weight and maximum efficiency are the key restraints for this build (and obviously sound good too, preferably). Trying to keep the build below around 12kg total weight, so fairly small without too much wood and bracing etc is what I'm after.

Ideally the unit will produce bass from around 40-50hz with some level of efficiency, and meet a 1" compression driver at around 2500hz.

The driver I'm looking at for the bass/mids is this. Open to suggestions for other drivers though. This is a 10" but there's also an 8" which looks decent as well, although the efficiency is much lower.

https://voltloudspeakers.co.uk/loudspeakers/bm2514-10/" rel="nofollow - https://voltloudspeakers.co.uk/loudspeakers/bm2514-10/

From what I can ascertain, the only way to get the bass/mid unit to produce from 40-50hz up to 2500 to meet a 1" compression driver is in a reflex box. A small horn would add some efficiency but sound terrible about about 500hz, right?

What about a ported box? Would that be better vs a sealed box in terms of bass response, while still providing good sound up to 2.5khz?

Replies:
Posted By: MarjanM
Date Posted: 28 January 2020 at 1:29pm
Reflex box IS a PORTED box. Yes it will add to the low end efficiency considerably compared to a closed box.
40-50hz out of a 10 inch driver means low efficiency.
That Volt driver has resonating frequency of 59hz and you should not tune the box below that point if you plan to push the stated power handling. 
If you must have 40-50Hz look for a 8 or 10 inch driver with rubber surround. Those are usually at 90-93db efficiency.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713

Posted By: studio45
Date Posted: 28 January 2020 at 3:04pm
Yes I agree your low end target there is a bit much to expect from a 10" driver, with any authority. Remember kick drum hits at about 63Hz and unless you're playing deep dark heavy dub all the time, frequencies below 60Hz are pretty much optional, and in the context of 12v there's a strong case to consider them a total waste of battery power. 
Aim for "boom" rather than "thud" as a bass voicing and you'll have much more success ;)

-------------
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA

Posted By: JonB67
Date Posted: 28 January 2020 at 4:33pm
Take a look at the available coaxial drivers. They will produce a nice compact box, some have passive crossovers designed for them to make the process easy. 

You'll have to trade efficiency vs extention. Do you want it loud or low? I think if you sim it you'll find the loss in spl (output volume) isnt worth the gain in frequency. 

If you need some sub, build a small efficient sub like a tapped horn (tham or ss15 ) with an efficient driver. 

Posted By: Xoc1
Date Posted: 28 January 2020 at 8:49pm
I think if you want efficient & low you will need a separate sub driver/ cabinet.

The Volt BM251.4 - 10"has an xmax of 2.5mm (and a quick search showed it as unavailable)
So its never going to shift much air. There are some 12 drivers from B&C for instance that have good efficiency and a bigger x-max allowing them to go a bit lower.
To get an idea of how they might perform you might try a sim in a sealed box to see how the bass rolls off . Often for a sealed midrange a smaller box will give a steeper bass roll off with more efficient midrange where you need it.
Next step would be to try adding a port, This can be used to extend the bass of the mid driver without over-excursion but probably would end up being tuned higher than your target frequency, and needing a high pass filter, to attain any real efficiency. Hence the need for a separate bass driver.
The other alternative is to give up on the ideas of loud to get low & small.
A SS15 tapped horn might give you 103 db/w
A Tham might give you 100 db/w
A big reflex cab might give you 96 db/w
Most domestic sized speakers that go low might give you 86 db/w

Date Posted: 28 January 2020 at 9:58pm
Thanks for all the input everyone.

I should add that another key constraint of the project is that it doesn't need to be super loud, around 110-115db would be quite sufficient to conserve battery power (and operate within xmax) and I plan to implement a limit at that.

So with that in mind, is there a driver you could reccommend for a reflex box which will be able to go fairly low (even 50hz?) with some semi decent efficiency? Ideally the bass driver should be able to get to 110db at around 50w?

Date Posted: 29 January 2020 at 1:27pm
50 watts is 17 dbW
So 110db would require the speaker to be 93db/1 watt - Plus a bit to allow for thermal compression, maybe 2 or 3 db.
So you would need the speaker to be 95-96 db/ 1 watt efficiency.
That is the sort of efficiency a 120 litre 15 reflex cab can achieve.....

Date Posted: 29 January 2020 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Xoc1 Xoc1 wrote:

50 watts is 17 dbW
So 110db would require the speaker to be 93db/1 watt - Plus a bit to allow for thermal compression, maybe 2 or 3 db.
So you would need the speaker to be 95-96 db/ 1 watt efficiency.
That is the sort of efficiency a 120 litre 15 reflex cab can achieve.....

BMS12S330 90lit box tuned at about 45-47hz would do that too. Wont go super low but it will be punchy just enough.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Posted By: APW
Date Posted: 29 January 2020 at 3:49pm
A Beyma SM212 in a 85Ltr box tuned to about 47Hz would also do that at a about half the cost of the BMS...

It should be able to reproduce just over 114dB @ 50watts with a -3dB point of 47Hz and a -10 dB of about 37Hz

Date Posted: 29 January 2020 at 8:43pm

The BMS 12S330 is a very capable driver It looks capable of soaking up a lot of power and providing a good low frequency response in a small box, Not so efficient though.
Could not get a decent response in Hornresp with the size and tuning suggested by Marjan
The Beyma SM212 seems just about on the money as APW suggested.
Sim shows BMS in grey and Beyma in black, in boxes with size and tuning suggested, both at 20Volts (50w @ 8 R)

Date Posted: 29 January 2020 at 9:25pm
Thanks again for the replies everyone.

So what if I were to sacrifice some loudness and some low end response to keep the box size down, somewhere within 30l max wouod be ideal. Id rather sacrifice loudness and efficiency than low end range. 

Let's call -3db at 60hz the minimum cutoff for bass response, and 30l the cab size? Is that doable? What sort of efficiency is possible?

Date Posted: 29 January 2020 at 9:37pm
The Beyma would reach x max at about 150w (34.6v)and 120db so a bigger amplifier would be possible. As long as the amp is efficient the increase in headroom would be useful. Peak efficiency is about 98db@ at 66hz
 Could do with a high pass filter to be safe at higher power levels - Hornresp is suggesting about
38hz with a 4th order Butterworth - Probably good for its 350W rating in real world (adding 3db for losses). Grey is 1 watt black is 150w without losses Filter shows displacement
Edit I see that even this is not good enough for you - what you want is what we all could do with a small miracle - If such a thing existed we would all be using it!

Date Posted: 29 January 2020 at 9:41pm

The BMS 12S330 is a very capable driver It looks capable of soaking up a lot of power and providing a good low frequency response in a small box, Not so efficient though.
Could not get a decent response in Hornresp with the size and tuning suggested by Marjan
The Beyma SM212 seems just about on the money as APW suggested.
Sim shows BMS in grey and Beyma in black, in boxes with size and tuning suggested, both at 20Volts (50w @ 8 R)

Sorry, my bad, that is volume for the double 12. Try 40 lit.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Date Posted: 29 January 2020 at 9:59pm
I am loving the look of the volt 220.1 but unfortunately it is discontinued..

Are there any known alternatives?

Date Posted: 29 January 2020 at 10:08pm

Hi Marjan
The BMS is great in a 40L box it shows a bass hump with 45hz tuning and could be tuned to below 40hz
Sim shows BMS 50w 40L 40hz against Beyma 50w 90L 47hz
You can see what reducing the size does, it throws away 5db of output so needs 3 times the power - not so good on batteries.

Date Posted: 29 January 2020 at 10:13pm
Monkeys: Why not download winisd and sim them for yourself? You'll learn enough doing it to answer many of your own questions!

Date Posted: 29 January 2020 at 10:14pm
Could you sim that in a 30l box? 

Date Posted: 29 January 2020 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

Why not download winisd and sim them for yourself? You'll learn enough doing it to answer many of your own questions!

I will =)

I was really just looking for general recommendations at the moment. But yes I will get off my ass and fire up WinISD and have a play

Date Posted: 29 January 2020 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Monkeys Monkeys wrote:

I am loving the look of the volt 220.1 but unfortunately it is discontinued..

Are there any known alternatives?

If anyone knows about this I would be very happy to hear of a similar driver =)

Date Posted: 29 January 2020 at 10:33pm
The BMS box is half the size :) 

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Date Posted: 29 January 2020 at 10:39pm
Hoffman strikes again!!  Smile

Posted By: TheORig
Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 12:24pm
What about using 2 x 10" passive radiators (one on each side) opposed to a port / horn?

Interested to follow this build, please make sure to post updates and images, considering something similar myself. Smile

Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by TheORig TheORig wrote:

What about using 2 x 10" passive radiators (one on each side) opposed to a port / horn?

Interested to follow this build, please make sure to post updates and images, considering something similar myself. Smile

Can you explain the advantages you would see from that vs a port?

If I understsnd correctly that sounds akin to a boominator, which didn't really appeal to me for this project. Im going for more of a "mini standard PA speaker" type dealio with this. endeavour. So somewhat directional, high quality sound that covers most of the full range, doesnt need to be super loud, that can be paired with a second unit for stereo.

Posted By: TheORig
Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 9:31am
A Boominator has 2 active drivers back to back which effectively increased the overall efficiency of the system and uses 2 ports. (Has no passive radiators)

A passive radiator is used instead of a port / bass reflex so works in a similar way. Typically you will use 2x 10" passive radiators to 1 x 10" Active driver if they have a similar Xmax. (See the below youtube video for an example subwoofer with passive radiators) 

Have a little google of the benefits as you'll find better information than I can give. Here are some links to get started.

https://www.css-audio.com/single-post/2018/01/02/When-Passive-Radiators-Are-Better-Than-Ports" rel="nofollow - https://www.css-audio.com/single-post/2018/01/02/When-Passive-Radiators-Are-Better-Than-Ports

http://www.centerpointaudio.com/passiveradiators.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.centerpointaudio.com/passiveradiators.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OH15UHXcOQ" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OH15UHXcOQ

Hope this helps!

Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 10:08am
Ok, I have a lot to think about if I'm going to consider passive radiators.

Before I do that, what are peoples thoughts on this driver from Volt, the BM 165.1

https://voltloudspeakers.co.uk/loudspeakers/bm165-1-6-5/" rel="nofollow - https://voltloudspeakers.co.uk/loudspeakers/bm165-1-6-5/

I've read a lot of good things about these small Volt drivers. This one us supposedly able to produce down to 40hz in a 20l ported enclosure.

Thoughts?

Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 10:23am

I have never used this particular driver however I can tell you that with a sensitivity of 88db/W 50watts gives you an output of 105db at one meter… without allowing for losses, to get your required 110db you would need to feed it 200watts, the driver is rated 100watts AES!!

With battery systems efficiency is everything.

Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 10:29am
Yeah, I'd kind of accepted that I might need to compromise loudness. I don't mind too much if its not thumping loud. 105db at 1m is still loud enough to keep a room full of people pretty happy, no?

Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 10:48am
I doubt it....

If 1 mtr = 105db, then:
2 mtrs = 99db
3 mtrs = 95.4db
4 mtrs = 92db
5mtrs = 91db

in the real world you will be ragging every last ounce out of the driver so you will also have power compression to deal with, you can probably knock another 3 to 5db off those figures.

Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 11:04am
Hmmm, in that case I might need to reconsider my approach.

What about the 8", the 220.1:

https://voltloudspeakers.co.uk/loudspeakers/bm2201-8/" rel="nofollow - https://voltloudspeakers.co.uk/loudspeakers/bm2201-8/

It's got an extra 3db efficiency, which isn't a great deal but it's still gonna save half the power required.

It appears to be a non-coaxial version of the CX220.1 which is apparently amazing in a 20L box, or so I read on here?

Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 12:12pm

When placing the BM220.1 in a 20ltr box tuned at about 50hz (50hz gave the best results with 20Ltrs): Yes you get you an f3 of about 45Hz when looking at just the data below about 150Hz, however you have already lost 3db when compared to the baseline data above 150Hz so you are back to a sensitivity of 88db/w below 150Hz!!

Like has already been suggested: Download & install WisISD, then enter the data from the spec sheet for any drivers you are interested in (the driver may be already in the database) then try different box sizes and tuning, this will give you some idea if a driver is going to be any good for your needs.

Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 7:35pm
If you want an 8 inch driver,  take a look at the fane 8-225. Cheap enough to take a punt on, great reputation and better efficiency than what youre looking at. 

Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 10:07pm

If you want an 8 inch driver,  take a look at the fane 8-225. Cheap enough to take a punt on, great reputation and better efficiency than what youre looking at. 

It wont do 50Hz.

-------------
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com

Posted By: smitske96
Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

It wont do 50Hz.

It will do 50 Hz, just not loud enough Tongue

But Marjan is right, if you want something happening down low, 12" would be the minimum for me.

Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

It wont do 50Hz.

It will do 50 Hz, just not loud enough Tongue

But Marjan is right, if you want something happening down low, 12" would be the minimum for me.

12" would be too big. I want to keep the box size below 30l.

Goddamn physics! 

I'll have to compromise further somewhere in the design, I can't decide wheter to sacrifice low end, or efficiency (and as a result, loudness).

To elaborate further on what I'm aiming for, the unit would operate primarily as a battery powered Bluetooth speaker (looking at getting a pair of Lutkevelds boards). 

I'd like it to produce a high quality relatively full range sound at low-moderate volumes, that would be it's use day to day. But with the option to operate as a compact PA speaker, at which times efficiency on battery power could become non-essential since I could arrange to bring additional batteries to power it for longer periods..

Hmmm. Getting WinISD as we speaker =)

Posted By: studio45
Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 4:21pm
You have to sacrifice low end and box smallness for 12v use, because efficiency is KING. There's no point building a rig that needs so many batteries to play all day, and such big heavy amps, that you can't take it anywhere without a big van. You might as well build a 240v rig and buy a generator.
If that really worries you, you can always build a separately powered subwoofer system and bring it out when necessary. But that will *not* be every party. 

-------------
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 10:16pm

Unit would operate primarily as a battery powered Bluetooth speaker (looking at getting a pair of Lutkevelds boards

When you Say Box size 30L are you talking External volume or internal Volume - Box minus walls drivers. ports etc?

The Lutkevelds boards are Class D but do not have DC DC converters so will not do anything like 50w
More like 7 watts RMS on a 12volt battery into a 8 ohm speaker. or 15w in to a 4 ohm driverClap

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 10:50pm

Unit would operate primarily as a battery powered Bluetooth speaker (looking at getting a pair of Lutkevelds boards

When you Say Box size 30L are you talking External volume or internal Volume - Box minus walls drivers. ports etc?

The Lutkevelds boards are Class D but do not have DC DC converters so will not do anything like 50w
More like 7 watts RMS on a 12volt battery into a 8 ohm speaker. or 15w in to a 4 ohm driverClap

What, really? So what is the quoted 45w per channel referring to then??

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 11:13pm
24 volt battery

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

24 volt battery

Oh, right. Yeah ok so they will do that quoted power if powered by 24v DC, that's fine.

Date Posted: 02 February 2020 at 12:04am
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

You have to sacrifice low end and box smallness for 12v use, because efficiency is KING. There's no point building a rig that needs so many batteries to play all day, and such big heavy amps, that you can't take it anywhere without a big van. You might as well build a 240v rig and buy a generator.
If that really worries you, you can always build a separately powered subwoofer system and bring it out when necessary. But that will *not* be every party. 

I do appreciate all the advice, I really do. I'm not sure that I'm making clear the priorities for this project though. And I do understand that what I am suggesting is going to require significant sacrifices in efficiency and loudness for the sake of a bit of low end.

I have a fairly massive 240v rig (12 x Punishers, 4 x MKB12's, 6 x TSE111's, 2x TMS4's) and access to generators already =P I'm really not looking to throw parties with the speakers from this project, I would use my rig (or part thereof) for that.

This project is meant to be an attempt to make a really nice bluetooth speaker. To be able to have some easy, fairly compact, high quality, portable speakers which will take seconds to set up, will still produce a fairly full range sound (albeit at reduced volume). They don't need to be able to play for days on end, 8 hours at max volume (100ish db) would suffice, I think... If I really need them to run for longer than that I can bring an extra battery or a small generator.

Thinking, more a portable studio monitor rather than PA speaker?

Date Posted: 06 February 2020 at 10:47am
Ok, update and advice pleas? I have done some further research in an attempt to find some middle ground and gain efficiency, without compromising too much on box size and bass extension.

I have come to the conclusion that I think will use a high efficiency 8" bass-mid driver, in a 25L (internal) volume box. This should get me around 90-92db efficiency and a fairly flat response to 50hz with the right driver.

I have narrowed it down to 4 driver choices, which I would appreciate any advice on.

Beyma 8P300Fe/N -
Pros - Best efficiency (92.5db), Looks very durable and heavy duty (should be resistant to power compression?), reviews say it can be crossed around 1500-2khs with the right tweeter on a waveguide.
Cons - Slightly lower bass response than most of the other options (90db from 50 - 100hz), quite expensive

ScanSpeak Classic P21WO20
Pros - Very good bass response, flat to 50hz. Tried and tested classic driver, great sound quality based on reviews
Cons - Lower efficincy (89.5db)

SEAS - Ca22RNY
Pros - Quite good efficiency (91.5), smooth bass rolloff from 100hz. Great reviews, relatively affordable
Cons - Very light construction, looks like it may not be very durable?

Peerless - HDS-P830869
Pros - Best bass response, nice hump at 50-100 hz. Easily the cheapest
Cons - Lower efficiency (90.5db), nomex probably not be the most durable? Unsure about crossover frequency.

Any advice on the above greatly appreciated =)

Date Posted: 10 February 2020 at 11:05am
Ok I am thinking I will go with the Seas Ca22RNY, but in a larger cabinet size of 36L internal volume. I plan to crossover to the tweeter at 1.5khz. The tweeter I am looking at is the Wavecor TW030WA11

I've modeled the CA22RNY in WinISD in a 36L box, tuned to 53hz, with a 6.8cm diameter and 5.77cm length port. This gives the following results:

Sensitivity of 91.5db
F3 of 50hz and F9 of 40hz
1st port resonance is 2979hz
Maximum rear port air velocity at 50w is 26 m/s.

Response curve shows a hump at around 70hz up to 92.5db.

http://ibb.co/n3FgNP3" rel="nofollow - https://ibb.co/n3FgNP3

Can anyone see anything fundamentally wrong with this design? The port length seems fairly short, shorter than it is long, is that right?

I would have preferred to go with a lower tuning frequency to get slightly more bass extension but since I am planning to cross over at 1500hz, I need to get the port resonance up to around double that (or greater). Is this really necessary?

Date Posted: 11 February 2020 at 10:28am
Can anyone please advise if there appears to be anything wrong with this design? Apart from the obvious lack of efficiency for an "ideal" 12v system etc. I am OK with that, I just want to know if the cabinet design and sim etc looks OK.

Would it be possible to reduce the port resonance to say around 2khz without too much issue? I have read that damping the port can significantly reduce port resonances. This would be ideal for me if it is possible since it would mean I could get away with a smaller box..

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net