URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=104770
Printed Date: 18 April 2024 at 4:07am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 15" Drivers for Cubo Kick
Posted By: nejten
Subject: 15" Drivers for Cubo Kick
Date Posted: 29 January 2020 at 6:30pm
Greetings

I want to build some cubo kick bins for 15" drivers. The recommended drivers are the 18Sound 15ND930, Eminence Kappa Pro 15,  Faital Pro 15FH520 and the Faital Pro 12FH500. I was wondering if i could put a driver with more watts than these in the bin but I can't compare small thiele parameters because they vary so much on the recommended drivers. Does anybody know what I have to look at when looking for a suitable driver? 

Bless

-------------
From small acorns oak trees grow.

Replies:
Posted By: mobiele eenheid
Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 10:39am
I know what to look for, do you have any favourite brand or brands? 

Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 10:57am
Not really, I would like them to be about 800w-1000w but the brand does not really matter, thanks!

-------------

Posted By: Jo bg
Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 11:41am
Wattage matters even less than the brand Smile
Sensitivity and proper t/s parameters for the desired box (the parameters that define the driver carachteristics) are fare more important in driver choice. 
Furthermore the difference between 800 watt and 500 watt Is about 2 db, theoretically, even less in practice , so barely perceptibile, and usually drivers with more  wattage are less sensitive so Need more Power to  reach the same level.
I know the market wants you to think in Watts, but It is not so useful.
I use 15nd930 , 1kW amp power per driver , and never had problems in 4 years.

Anyway listen to mobiele eenheid, he knows a thing or two about cubos...

Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 3:18pm
So will the recommended driver work just as fine? because i would love to have a disgustingly heavy kick and i don't know enough about speakers so i thought: more watts= heavier kick

-------------

Posted By: JBK
Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 4:38pm
A few things you have to understand (if you don't already), without going much in the details :
1- A cabinet is designed for a driver, or several drivers that share the same parameters (lookup Thiele /Small paameters, often refered to as t/s) => that's the recommended drivers. If you put a random driver in it the results will be random
2- max spl does not only depends on wattage. Lookup for driver sensitivity. 
sensitivity is a figure which tells you how much SPL you will get for X watts. So 2 drivers with different sensitivities will yield different SPLs if you feed them with the same power.
3- other things come in play, like power compression : once a driver is hot, more power is disspated in heat, e.g for a 1000 watt driver, fedding it 1000W over 800W won't give much more SPL if any (but instead will heat up the driver more, which can lead to issues)

I'm over-simplifing here and there, but just understand that more watts does not always means more sound pressure. (our kicks are BBC215, there are 2 recommended drivers, one with more max power, one with more sensitivity, the most powerfull has actually less max SPL due to lower efficiency)

Sorry, can't comment on the cubos though, but in your shoes I'll stick with the recommended drivers

Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 5:00pm
alright, thanks for the info!

-------------

Posted By: JonB67
Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by mobiele eenheid mobiele eenheid wrote:

I know what to look for, do you have any favourite brand or brands? 

You are really very modest and funny with it. 

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to help the op find a suitable driver.

Posted By: JonB67
Date Posted: 30 January 2020 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by nejten nejten wrote:

Not really, I would like them to be about 800w-1000w but the brand does not really matter, thanks!

Why? 

What is special about them being 800 to 1000 watts? 

What if they're able to take lots of power but sound bad?

What if they take lots of power but are really inefficient so put out less spl? 

Your request makes little sense. Might be better if you explain why you asked this and what you are trying to achieve.

Date Posted: 31 January 2020 at 7:20am
sorry, i dont know enough about speakers so my logic was: more watts= heavier bass but this does not seem
to make sense. i just want to load my cubos with a driver that gives the heaviest en best sounding kick.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 February 2020 at 11:18am
Let's put it out first, I think the 15ND930 is an excellent kick driver but a good kick is more than just a good driver and a good design, it's also about implementing it into your system (setup, processing). So if these 'legs' of the kick are all stable you could look into the following drivers, both from 18Sound, the 15NLW9300 (neo) and the 15LW2400 (ferrite).

If you say, I'm just gonna use one kick per side, EQ a bit as I'm mostly interested in a low thud, I would choose the 15LW2400. If you say, I like a bit more snappy kick, or I'm going to stack the kicks and/or use multiples per side, I would choose the 15NLW9300.

Quote You are really very modest and funny with it
It's reviews like yours where at least half of my knowledge comes from. Plus this is one of the few forums were a gag like that works.

On special request:

Good kick drivers (for Cubo Kick 15 and alike) have:

Qts 0.2 - 0.4
EBP (Fs / Qts) over 100, typically 120 - 180 Hz
Xmax less then 10 mm, typically 6 - 8 mm (except optimistic Faital Pro calculations)
3" - 4" voice coil
Le typically less then 1.5 mH, lower is good

Cubo Kick 15 drivers often have a Qts x Vas product in the 40 - 80 range and a Mms between 80 - 140 g.

Date Posted: 18 March 2020 at 8:23pm
what do you mean by "legs" mobiele eenheid?

-------------

Date Posted: 18 March 2020 at 10:30pm
Ahh.. so much symbolism, where to begin?

I could tell you that mobiele eenheid means "mobile unit", if that mobile unit is you, a person (are you really?),  therefore having legs would be the basis of said mobility in 95% of cases?

Does this story have legs? Am I about to have a leg up or am I just talking the hind legs of a donkey? Basically I'm trying to give people a leg up and not to have the legs of someone because I don't have a leg to stand on. Truly I'm not trying to pull your leg nor would I want you to leave with your tail between your legs, basically I'm just showing a leg. Because to have the bass and kick covered means to have pulled the weight of someone's legs, giving that person the first leg of ones journey. I mean, you have to get sea legs eventually.

Although it's probably just a Dutch saying not translating very well to English.

Best regards Legs

Date Posted: 18 March 2020 at 11:32pm
whahaha ge hebt goeie humor man maarja nu weet ik nog steeds nie of de nlw9300 een goeie speaker is voor mijn soundTongueTongue

-------------

Date Posted: 19 March 2020 at 10:37pm
Wat is er niet duidelijk aan deze post? https://forum.speakerplans.com/15-drivers-for-cubo-kick_topic104770_post1037770.html#1037770%20" rel="nofollow - http://forum.speakerplans.com/15-drivers-for-cubo-kick_topic104770_post1037770.html#1037770" rel="nofollow - http://forum.speakerplans.com/15-drivers-for-cubo-kick_topic104770_post1037770.html#1037770

Posted By: Archi
Date Posted: 22 March 2020 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by mobiele eenheid mobiele eenheid wrote:

Let's put it out first, I think the 15ND930 is an excellent kick driver but a good kick is more than just a good driver and a good design, it's also about implementing it into your system (setup, processing). So if these 'legs' of the kick are all stable you could look into the following drivers, both from 18Sound, the 15NLW9300 (neo) and the 15LW2400 (ferrite).

If you say, I'm just gonna use one kick per side, EQ a bit as I'm mostly interested in a low thud, I would choose the 15LW2400. If you say, I like a bit more snappy kick, or I'm going to stack the kicks and/or use multiples per side, I would choose the 15NLW9300.

Quote You are really very modest and funny with it
It's reviews like yours where at least half of my knowledge comes from. Plus this is one of the few forums were a gag like that works.

On special request:

Good kick drivers (for Cubo Kick 15 and alike) have:

Qts 0.2 - 0.4
EBP (Fs / Qts) over 100, typically 120 - 180 Hz
Xmax less then 10 mm, typically 6 - 8 mm (except optimistic Faital Pro calculations)
3" - 4" voice coil
Le typically less then 1.5 mH, lower is good

Cubo Kick 15 drivers often have a Qts x Vas product in the 40 - 80 range and a Mms between 80 - 140 g.

My cubo kick is loading JBL 2226, the spec fits most part on your list

Qts  0.31
EBP 129
Xmax 7.6
4" Coil
Le 1.75
Qts x Vas 56
Mms 98

It sounds good to me, the kick is clean and punchy. 

Date Posted: 07 April 2020 at 12:06pm
Laat maar, alles is duidelijk. Bedankt! Dus volgens de t/s parameters zou de  http://www.loudspeakerdatabase.com/PrecisionDevices/PD.154NR1" rel="nofollow - -  

Posted By: Jimi Handtrix
Date Posted: 11 May 2020 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Jo bg Jo bg wrote:

I use 15nd930 , 1kW amp power per driver , and never had problems in 4 years.

Hey Jo, 

just curious which other drivers you use in combination with the Cubo15 / 15ND930? I'm planning a 12v sound system based on a Cubo with the same driver (which would be covering approximately the 40-100hz range), but don't really know which other drivers would compliment the 15ND930.. I was looking at 2x 8NMB420 8" drivers, plus 3-4x HD1050 1" drivers (plus horns) from Eighteensound. Do you reckon those would compliment each other nicely?

Thanks!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net