URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=105402
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 9:32pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Void V18's Vs Oberton 1600's in Hogs
Posted By: Ajsski99
Subject: Void V18's Vs Oberton 1600's in Hogs
Date Posted: 19 June 2020 at 5:56pm
Hi all,

Recently purchased a used Proline 3000 to run my 2x Hog scoops loaded with Oberton XB1600's in 40hm bridge, which i gauged from this forum would be more than capable.

However, the amplifier arrived via UPS smashed to pieces in the box with heavy internal and external damage, rendering it fully unusable. After a lot of back and forth, UPS have said they cannot pay for the damage, as the packaging was not up to their standards.

After doing some thinking, I am considering selling my Obertons in favour for the lower wattage Void V18-1000's. In theory, being a lower wattage driver, I shouldnt have to spend as much on a capable amplifier for them, which will be helpful as I'm currently out of pocket thanks to UPS.

If my Obertons don't sell for some reason, would underpowering them by 300 Watts or so make them inferior to the Voids? The Obertons are already loaded into the Hogs and swapping them to Voids seems like a bit of a faff, considering I'd have to make the driver hole bigger to fit the larger baffle of the Voids etc, if there won't be a signifcant difference between them.

This is probably really stupid question but I can't find too much on the forum about the XB1600's in Hogs and I dont know any other Soundsystems using them in Hogs either, so I thought I'd ask.

Replies:
Posted By: njw
Date Posted: 21 June 2020 at 12:04am
 There's no such thing as underpowering, as long it's not run into square waves the only difference between a small amp and a big amp is the small amp won't drive your speakers to their full potential. If the Obertons sound nice in those cabs then I'd leave them there.

Also, why are you out of pocket regarding the poor packaging of the amp? If the seller didn't pack it well enough that isn't your problem in the slightest and you should be refunded.

Date Posted: 21 June 2020 at 12:14am
I think I’m going to wait until I can get an amp, test the Obertons underpowered then make a decision. 

He’s refusing to refund me because it was packaged at the place he sent the amp from. So not really too sure what to do.

Posted By: snowflake
Date Posted: 21 June 2020 at 12:21am
Originally posted by Ajsski99 Ajsski99 wrote:

I think I’m going to wait until I can get an amp, test the Obertons underpowered then make a decision. 

He’s refusing to refund me because it was packaged at the place he sent the amp from. So not really too sure what to do.

how did you pay for it?

Date Posted: 21 June 2020 at 1:28am
Through PayPal “friends and family” 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
Really stupid of me now that I think of it :(

Posted By: csg
Date Posted: 21 June 2020 at 8:07pm
In short, if you paid for the goods and for safe transport to your premises then you are covered by your common law contract with the seller. It is the sellers responsibility to ensure correct packaging, and it is the shipping companies responsibility to ensure reasonable handling to ensure the safe transport of the goods.
You can ask the seller if they used the manufacturers original packaging to send it on to you, if they did then they should argue with UPS that the manufacturers recommend packaging had been used and should be adequate in the absence of unreasonable handling.

However fundamentally this is not your problem, it is the sellers responsibility to chase this with UPS if they paid and arranged the shipping.

Either way, small claims court, or the threat of such action should resolve this for you.

Assuming that this was a documented transaction, i.e. you paid on invoice, have payment receipt detailing goods and shipping to your premises etc...

-------------
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”

Date Posted: 21 June 2020 at 9:35pm
I just bought it off someone on the rig re sale group on Facebook, not through any business as such. But whatever, it is what it is at the end of the day I’ll get my money back one way or the other.

Posted By: csg
Date Posted: 21 June 2020 at 10:12pm
It does not matter if you purchased it from an individual, however if you need to pursue it through the courts you will need to substantiate your position with evidence.

Regarding the seller using a packaging service- as they are charging for their services ( presumably ) then they have a duty of care here. It is the sellers responsibility to pursue them, and it is your responsibility to pursue the seller. If the packaging people believe that they did their job properly then they would have to pursue the carriers for the damage caused.  

-------------
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”

Posted By: levyte357-
Date Posted: 23 June 2020 at 12:34pm
UPS will not refund for damage, if item is not completely enclosed in box, with 25mm Foam.

Been using UPS for years, and once had item damaged by them, this is usually down to numpsy vehicle drivers.

Proline 3000 weighs about 5.5 stone, would estimate only 33% of sellers would know to how to package this properly, to conform to UPS insurance standards.

Should have been a pickup job really.

Proline 3000  in bridge, will be cheapest way, to "properly" power 1kw+ drivers.

No point buying buying big man drivers, and then try to power them with flimsy, soppy amps.

If you save your pennies, and buy Void Inf8MK2, that will power 4x big man drivers, not as well as 2x Prolines, but well enough.

Next time drive and pickup heavy heavy amps.

-------------
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.

Date Posted: 23 June 2020 at 3:58pm
Fully agree, have learnt my lesson for next time when buying used equipment.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net