Print Page | Close Window

My Glastonbury 2020

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Show Off Your Sound System
Forum Description: Show of your gear. Post pictures of your Sound System here...
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=105431
Printed Date: 20 April 2024 at 2:59pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: My Glastonbury 2020
Posted By: boots-hifi
Subject: My Glastonbury 2020
Date Posted: 28 June 2020 at 11:53pm
Decided to knock up my own pyramid stage with the kids Friday. 4 pd186 reflex bins from a pkn 10k and a pair of Sherman tops powered by a tamp 4 - 1600. Xbox running audio through a cambridge audio dac. Couple of led bars and a smoke machine...just like the real thing!

https://postimg.cc/627WbGMK" rel="nofollow - https://postimg.cc/627WbGMK

https://postimg.cc/mPwgP4Pv" rel="nofollow - https://postimg.cc/mPwgP4Pv

https://postimg.cc/MXCT4dkF" rel="nofollow - https://postimg.cc/MXCT4dkF

https://postimg.cc/jn7j2Jfc" rel="nofollow - https://postimg.cc/jn7j2Jfc

Replies:
Posted By: mk2_ginger_biscuit69
Date Posted: 28 June 2020 at 11:57pm
your neighbours must love you!

-------------
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''

Date Posted: 29 June 2020 at 12:03am
To be fair I've got a pretty big garden on a slope so sound is mostly cancelled out. Checked today and they're cool. 

Date Posted: 29 June 2020 at 12:10am
lucky bastard! i have one who complains at the noise of the garden machinery im restoring, only run them for like 5mins at a time, just to get up to running temp. Pah!

-------------
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

Date Posted: 29 June 2020 at 12:21am
It's not often, I have a good relationship with my neighbours so everythings cool. If you want total silence, dig a hole and sleep in it. 

Date Posted: 29 June 2020 at 12:23am
The kids have fun, that's it really. My youngest said building this was the coolest and proudest thing he'd done 👍Life doesn't get much better than that. 

Posted By: concept-10
Date Posted: 29 June 2020 at 7:52am
That is so bloody cool Smile

Posted By: JonB67
Date Posted: 29 June 2020 at 9:19am
Originally posted by boots-hifi boots-hifi wrote:

The kids have fun, that's it really. My youngest said building this was the coolest and proudest thing he'd done 👍Life doesn't get much better than that. 

Love this. Looks brilliant. Memories the kids will never forget. 

I'm a little concerned you're setting the bar a bit high though boots! 

Posted By: DMorison
Date Posted: 29 June 2020 at 1:00pm
That is brilliant mate, glad your kids loved it.

Posted By: djeddie
Date Posted: 29 June 2020 at 3:59pm
Just as long as you didn't go to all that troublejust to watch and listen to Coldplay!

-------------
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB

Posted By: woody2
Date Posted: 29 June 2020 at 4:34pm
What was the old turbosound configuration at glasto? Didn't seem a big rig from some of the highlights over the weekend.

Date Posted: 29 June 2020 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

Just as long as you didn't go to all that troublejust to watch and listen to Coldplay!

Sod that. Groove Armada sounded good although the singer had a major sweaty camel toe going on LOL

Posted By: djeddie
Date Posted: 30 June 2020 at 8:13am
Originally posted by boots-hifi boots-hifi wrote:

Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

Sod that. Groove Armada sounded good although the singer had a major sweaty camel toe going on LOL

LMAO!

-------------
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB

Posted By: edboom
Date Posted: 30 June 2020 at 9:51am
Class. Glastonbury, but without the giggling Nitrous Oxide huffers in the tent next door at 5.30am.....And only a stones throw from your bedroom! I can see that catching on.

Posted By: jacethebase
Date Posted: 30 June 2020 at 9:57am
Originally posted by woody2 woody2 wrote:

What was the old turbosound configuration at glasto? Didn't seem a big rig from some of the highlights over the weekend.

You mean the Flashlight systems?

The main stage had piles of it. All flown with floodlight on delays and infill.

I remember as a youngster the subs (TFS780L) being stacked in massive piles either side of the pyramid. 

The NME stage was a similar system just a lot smaller. That maybe the system you seen. Did the footage have Skan stencilled on the front of the wedges? Skan PA still do that stage to this day. 

-------------
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com

Posted By: Bams
Date Posted: 30 June 2020 at 10:51am
I was watching the glasto experience last weekend when it finally dawned we're in for the really long run regarding social distancing and a grey cloack fell over me, got a bit depressed but then i saw this post. spent the whole sunday with my kids building an amazing LEGO city. 

Thanks for lifting my spirits!

Posted By: woody2
Date Posted: 30 June 2020 at 11:51am
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

Originally posted by woody2 woody2 wrote:

You mean the Flashlight systems?

The main stage had piles of it. All flown with floodlight on delays and infill.

I remember as a youngster the subs (TFS780L) being stacked in massive piles either side of the pyramid. 

The NME stage was a similar system just a lot smaller. That maybe the system you seen. Did the footage have Skan stencilled on the front of the wedges? Skan PA still do that stage to this day. 

pyramid stage

pre- 2000 and looked ground stacked, also spotted martin blackbox on stage

Date Posted: 30 June 2020 at 1:32pm
groundstacked would have been way before 2000. I have memory's of watching loads of bands there in the late 90's when I was at school and that was always flown flashlight. For the majority of the 90's the pyramid was actually a Orbit. Pretty sure the original pyramid burnt down circa 1993/4 and the new one was built around 2000.

I have seen photos of TMS3 stacked either side of the stage. But only photos I wasn't around then.

-------------

www.stage2sound.com

Date Posted: 30 June 2020 at 1:42pm
the original pyramid stage was located up in the staff camp field, by pedestrian gate B - the 'blue gate' vehicle search/ticketing lane goes straight through it. 

-------------

Date Posted: 30 June 2020 at 1:49pm

198#?

-------------

Date Posted: 30 June 2020 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

the original pyramid stage was located up in the staff camp field, by pedestrian gate B - the 'blue gate' vehicle search/ticketing lane goes straight through it. 

Wow I never knew that Pat.

Just shows how much it has grown.

-------------

www.stage2sound.com

Date Posted: 30 June 2020 at 4:08pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzGaMT_yTVY" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzGaMT_yTVY

One of my favs!

-------------

www.stage2sound.com

Date Posted: 30 June 2020 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Bams Bams wrote:

I was watching the glasto experience last weekend when it finally dawned we're in for the really long run regarding social distancing and a grey cloack fell over me, got a bit depressed but then i saw this post. spent the whole sunday with my kids building an amazing LEGO city. 

Thanks for lifting my spirits!
Every cloud and all that...
Im going to make this a regular thing at my place. My kids absolutely loved it, shame we only had freinds over with their two. Next year hopefully I'll invite 30-40 ppl. I did intend on turning my man cave in a dance tent with an Alice in wonderland type small door to enter by but it was all a bit spur of the moment and we ran out of materials. I thought the BBC coverage was pretty poor considering all the epic bands that have performed over the years, but then I'm not surprised it is the BBC after all! 

Posted By: doober
Date Posted: 30 June 2020 at 5:34pm
The mk2 pyramid stage on the 1980's photos burnt down in 1994, only weeks before the event and my first time there. The BBC don't have any decent footage of this stage as they didn't televise it until 1994.

Pyramid PA in 94 was 18 flashight per side and 2 delay towers. I think the bass was tsw721, a big pile of maybe 16 per side. This system was used until 2002 when they used l'acoustics v-dosc. I was amazed how small the 2 main v-dosc hangs looked, but not so impressed with the sound, it seemed to be lacking something.

They then went with Nexo geo-t for a few years, this made the memory of the v-dosc improve somewhat...

1994 NME stage (now called Other stage) had 12 turbo TMS3 per side flown from cranes. The stage was tiny compared to it's current size. Later years had flashlight. It's all D&B now, but still the same company.

I saw some good footage from the Jazz World stage (now West Holts) at the weekend, back when they had a monster Thunder Ridge system. That set up was fierce, in the best way! That stage has always sounded great, something to do with ley lines apparently.

-------------
Blahblahblah

Posted By: Robbo
Date Posted: 30 June 2020 at 6:23pm
The 1971 pic brings back some memories for me--A "massive" WEM pa system that was around the 400 watts mark in total back in the day!!!!!

Posted By: jbl_man
Date Posted: 01 July 2020 at 4:44pm
Oh for a time machine to go back to 1970/71 when it started...wasn't Bowie at the first one? 

-------------
Be seeing you.

Posted By: jazomir
Date Posted: 01 July 2020 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Oh for a time machine to go back to 1970/71 when it started...wasn't Bowie at the first one? 
Yes - 1971 shows included Hawkwind, Traffic, Melanie, David Bowie, Joan Baez, Fairport Convention and Quintessence. Missed it 'cos I had something else to do (can't for the life of me remember what) but several of my mates did go. Found this pic on Google  - I thought the PA was all WEM but this must have been one of the American bands because IIRC no British bands were using RCA type bins and multicellular horns at that time.

-------------
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.

Posted By: jbl_man
Date Posted: 01 July 2020 at 8:16pm
Good video of it, albeit with poor quality sound. Can clearly see the WEM pa John refered to above on some shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSnYmI2FYFg" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSnYmI2FYFg

-------------
Be seeing you.

Date Posted: 01 July 2020 at 8:26pm
@27M - Magic Michael & Jesus - haven't seen those two for about 45 years!

-------------
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.

Posted By: Digbethdave
Date Posted: 01 July 2020 at 8:28pm

Good video of it, albeit with poor quality sound. Can clearly see the WEM pa John refered to above on some shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSnYmI2FYFg" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSnYmI2FYFg
Looks like a good watch that. I'll give it ago a bit later. 

Posted By: BJtheDJ
Date Posted: 01 July 2020 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by jazomir jazomir wrote:

Yes - 1971 shows included Hawkwind, Traffic, Melanie, David Bowie, Joan Baez, Fairport Convention and Quintessence. Missed it 'cos I had something else to do (can't for the life of me remember what) but several of my mates did go. Found this pic on Google  - I thought the PA was all WEM but this must have been one of the American bands because IIRC no British bands were using RCA type bins and multicellular horns at that time.

Just watched Nicholas Roeg's 'Glastonbury Fayre' film (on Amazon Prime) a couple of nights ago and there was a lot more than 400 watts there; Heads Hands and Feet used more WEM than that back 1970 when I saw them at Ealing Town Hall.

Just downloaded it and fast forwarded, no sign of any RCA bins and just one shot of the multi-cells behind a half-naked gentleman.  I've screen-grabbed that together with stage left showing 8 WEM 2x15, 4 WEM columns (no idea if they were B or C, wouldn't have thought that they were A) sideways on top of the 2x15s and a couple of the top boxes with 4 Celestions horns in - laid sideways on top of the 15s and the 12s (Health and Safety, what's that).

I've grabbed a shot of stage right while Quintessence were on showing a row of HiWatt columns, and also a long shot of the stage showing what looks to be some more 'not WEM' columns higher up the scaffolding above the WEM columns.

Multicell.

Stage Left.

Hiwatt columns.

Stage long shot.

-------------
It's a difficult choice, would you rather have:

A: A vegan son.
B: An OnlyFans daughter

Date Posted: 02 July 2020 at 1:24am
The RCA bins are visible on the pic I posted earlier on the outsides of the Hiwatt cabs along with the multicellular horn.

-------------

Posted By: BJtheDJ
Date Posted: 02 July 2020 at 2:06am

The RCA bins are visible on the pic I posted earlier on the outsides of the Hiwatt cabs along with the multicellular horn.

Gotcha, see them now. 

Someone went to a helluva lotta trouble to hump away the WEM stuff and
put in those bins horns and Hiwatt pa columns; in a couple of the scenes
the words HiWatt Hire co can be seen stencilled on the back of some cabs.

-------------
It's a difficult choice, would you rather have:

A: A vegan son.
B: An OnlyFans daughter

Date Posted: 02 July 2020 at 7:16am
Originally posted by BJtheDJ BJtheDJ wrote:

Gotcha, see them now. 

I seem remember that Hiwatt Hire used to supply Implosion at the Roundhouse in the early 70s before Martin Audio's  systems were used. It is possible that one of Jeff Dexter's bands also used Hiwatt Hire.

-------------

Posted By: Digbethdave
Date Posted: 03 July 2020 at 1:23am
Originally posted by BJtheDJ BJtheDJ wrote:

Gotcha, see them now. 

I'm assuming by the varied selection of mics/stands, and cabs. That potentially bands bought there own kit, I'd also imagine that changeovers might of been more than the normal 15 we have these days. 

Posted By: madboffin
Date Posted: 03 July 2020 at 11:48am
Yes, It was normal in those days (late 60's / very early 70's) for bands to bring their own PA systems and swap over between support and headliner, or various acts at a festival. Note that PA systems were very small by modern standards.

With 2 or 3 bands playing a City Hall or University venue it was usual to set up all backlines in order of playing (ie headliner upstage and adding others after each soundcheck) and strike them progressively after each performance. And the same would happen with the PA if there wasn't room for them side by side. After each set of PA speakers was struck, the next would be pulled forward into its place.

And everybody sat on the floor to watch the bands, unless the time came to dance about, no mosh pits either...

Posted By: Robbo
Date Posted: 03 July 2020 at 12:25pm
The WEM Audiomasters bring back some memories for me as I learned my trade on them back in the day---Two five channel Audiomasters linked together to give you a total of ten useable mono channels and if you were lucky you had the newer models with the seperate monitor mix sends--I can remember mixing the Roy Young Band on a pair of them back in the good old days

Date Posted: 03 July 2020 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:

it was usual to set up all backlines in order of playing (ie headliner upstage and adding others after each soundcheck) and strike them progressively after each performance.

we still do that now (on smaller stages where rolling risers aren't possible).

-------------

Date Posted: 03 July 2020 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

The WEM Audiomasters bring back some memories for me as I learned my trade on them back in the day---Two five channel Audiomasters linked together to give you a total of ten useable mono channels and if you were lucky you had the newer models with the seperate monitor mix sends--I can remember mixing the Roy Young Band on a pair of them back in the good old days
Same here for the WEM Audiomasters - monitors are for wimps! We had the Roy Young band at our Rag Ball (I was joint Rag Chair) supporting Bob Marley and Roy Woods Wizard in 1973 - Norths Staffs Poly.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net