Forum Description: Talk about drivers, processors and mixers
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=105589
Printed Date: 23 April 2024 at 3:14pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 31 band two channel graphic EQ
Posted By: Safetyman
Subject: 31 band two channel graphic EQ
Date Posted: 08 August 2020 at 10:30am
I am told that there are one or two makes/models of graphic EQ's that have illuminated led's, one above each frequency channel, that illuminate when that channel starts causing feedback. That would make the task of 'ringing out' a lot quicker/easier for live band work. Any recommendations, please Guys ?

-------------
Protect your hearing, and feel the music.

MU South East Roving Safety Rep.

Replies:
Posted By: csg
Date Posted: 08 August 2020 at 12:12pm
You are much better off download one of the many smartphone apps that can give you a visual spectrum. Ive never seen a graphic eq worth using with such indicators...

-------------
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”

Date Posted: 08 August 2020 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

You are much better off download one of the many smartphone apps that can give you a visual spectrum. Ive never seen a graphic eq worth using with such indicators...

Ok, so which one in particular would you recommend, please ?

-------------

Posted By: snowflake
Date Posted: 08 August 2020 at 2:45pm
Behringer DEQ1024 worked okay. Is actually a digital eq with a graphical interface - so sounded a lot better than their budget analogue graphics. seem to go for about £60 on ebay.

Date Posted: 08 August 2020 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

Behringer DEQ1024 worked okay. Is actually a digital eq with a graphical interface - so sounded a lot better than their budget analogue graphics. seem to go for about £60 on ebay.
Ok, thanks.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 August 2020 at 2:59pm
Ok, so I have had a look on the 'net for a hardware solution and there appear to be three likely candidates : Art HQ231 graphic eq and feedback eliminator, DBX AFS2 feedback eliminator and Klark Teknik DF 1000 automatic feedback suppressor. Anyone had  experience with any of these, please ?

-------------

Posted By: jacethebase
Date Posted: 08 August 2020 at 5:01pm
AudioTools by Studio Six is a good little phone app.

-------------
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com

Posted By: Conanski
Date Posted: 08 August 2020 at 5:47pm
The ART HD231 and Peavey Q231fx work reasonable well for the intended purpose, any kind of AFS device that doesn't have a visual display won't be nearly as useful. The thing to realize with feedback suppression is that there are still limits to what can be done, once you get past 3-4 cuts you will be approaching the limits of potential GBF so it's not really helpful to have 15-20 filters active it just hacks away too much of the signal. The ultimate solution is a digital mixer with RTA display, with that even if it doesn't have an AFS system you can see and apply a notch filter at offending frequencies.

Date Posted: 08 August 2020 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

AudioTools by Studio Six is a good little phone app.
CheersApprove

-------------

Date Posted: 08 August 2020 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

The ART HD231 and Peavey Q231fx work reasonable well for the intended purpose, any kind of AFS device that doesn't have a visual display won't be nearly as useful. The thing to realize with feedback suppression is that there are still limits to what can be done, once you get past 3-4 cuts you will be approaching the limits of potential GBF so it's not really helpful to have 15-20 filters active it just hacks away too much of the signal. The ultimate solution is a digital mixer with RTA display, with that even if it doesn't have an AFS system you can see and apply a notch filter at offending frequencies.
Ok, many thanksApprove

-------------

Posted By: Chris Grimshaw
Date Posted: 08 August 2020 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Safetyman Safetyman wrote:

Ok, so I have had a look on the 'net for a hardware solution and there appear to be three likely candidates : Art HQ231 graphic eq and feedback eliminator, DBX AFS2 feedback eliminator and Klark Teknik DF 1000 automatic feedback suppressor. Anyone had  experience with any of these, please ?

My recommendation would be to stop looking for feedback suppressors, and figure out why you're having problems with feedback at all.

Cheap mics and badly deployed speakers are common causes. A decent mic (Sennheiser e935, for example) will go a long way towards avoiding feedback.

Chris

-------------
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com

Date Posted: 09 August 2020 at 8:19am
Originally posted by Chris Grimshaw Chris Grimshaw wrote:

My recommendation would be to stop looking for feedback suppressors, and figure out why you're having problems with feedback at all.

Cheap mics and badly deployed speakers are common causes. A decent mic (Sennheiser e935, for example) will go a long way towards avoiding feedback.

Chris
Quite right, but it is not always possible to control the vocalists, who decide to move the angle of the mic stand or go handheld far too close to the floor monitors, causing feedback. Seasoned singers, do realise that they are in 'the feedback zone' and move back until the howling stops. However amateur punk bands etc always blame the sound man for their own failings, amongst others. I do/did before COVID 19 a monthly jam session for up-and-coming artists/bands etc with several changes of performers every hour and it is impossible to 'police' all the changes. Artistes do tend to treat the soundman as the enemy of their performance, rather than working with the soundman to improve their performances. I use Heil PR20/22's, SE V7 and Sontronics Solo mics which are great mics. :D

-------------

Posted By: jacethebase
Date Posted: 09 August 2020 at 9:42am
You do ring out your monitors don’t you?

-------------
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com

Date Posted: 09 August 2020 at 10:50am
soundcraft ui24 has feedback suppression and doesn't suffer the same connection problems as the ui16 and ui12 - though these are usable if you hardwire them or get a third party router.

Date Posted: 09 August 2020 at 10:59am

Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

Ok, thanks.

just had a look at some of the reviews for the DEQ1024 online - a lot of anti-berry snobby comments from people who have never used one but positive reviews from those who have. admittedly though it is a dual channel unit it doesn't have two set of sliders which might be a drawback for some. some berry products are actually very good for the money and have features not available on more expensive products. MDX2600 compressor another example. and the ultradrive and ultracurve.

Posted By: Chris Grimshaw
Date Posted: 09 August 2020 at 12:50pm

Since I picked up a measurement mic and processed the monitors properly and got myself a set of decent mics, I haven't had to. There's enough GBF to take an old-school 350W RMS 12" 2-way box (placed near the base of the mic stand) to the limits. For a close monitoring situation, that's sufficient IME.

Chris

-------------
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com

Date Posted: 09 August 2020 at 3:18pm

Yes

-------------

Posted By: Boxes-R-Blue
Date Posted: 09 August 2020 at 10:47pm
If you REALLY want to do this, the Sabine ADF-4000 is the WEAPON of choice...

If you drive them carefully they really work well, but, if you don't take 101 precautions (you know no SM58s on stage (they are now called Audix om-5 or om-7) High pass ALL wedges @ 145Hz, etc you won't get a great sound with the ADF-4000.

but with 1/30th (yep 300 band GEQ!) octave and -30dB of cut (with GEQ/Para as well as the flying filters) they are monsters.

Now days I use the Para on the desk (binned graphs long before digital, they are just neanderthal) and SPLnFFT on an iPhone when the cello player has a cheap bug.

I have 3 ADFs and 2 for "spares" (yes they are the ones Entec used on TGI Fridays when they had to bury the wedges under grills in the stage) which I would gladly sell a very fair price!

PM me, I'll throw a listing up on eBay as per forum requirements!

BUT, please use these as tool (they overlay an RTA onto the screen) to "learn" what is going wrong!!!

Also Curve ball, use X32 rack and iPad (ideally as mons desk) but as 16ch Parametrice with RTA overlay...

16 channels of EQ (Para or GEQ if you must) for £700?????? 

You could get a DN360 for that (JUST.....) in 1988!!!!!

-------------
Kinda Been there, Kinda done that, YOU COULDN'T handle my bar bill!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net