Print Page | Close Window

Matrix STR3000 schematic and help

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Amp Forum
Forum Description: The 'Stopping Jake Fielder moaning constantly' forum description...
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=105709
Printed Date: 29 March 2024 at 3:24pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Matrix STR3000 schematic and help
Posted By: solscott99
Subject: Matrix STR3000 schematic and help
Date Posted: 15 September 2020 at 3:48pm
Hey I am new hear so excuse me if this topic has already been covered. Im currently in the process of trying to repair my Matrix STR3000 and am unable to find a schematic online. If anyone has a PDF downloaded that would be much appreciated. The amp itself blew a couple nights ago and on further inspection there seems to be two Transistors which are visibly damaged Cry. Im now just trying to figure out how far the damage has gone. 

Replies:
Posted By: simonp1100
Date Posted: 15 September 2020 at 6:53pm
If it's one channel that has blown up you could just get the transistor ID off the other channel. 

I pretty sure there are no circuits for the STR3000 online but the only other option is to contact Andy from Matrix.  Cry

Date Posted: 16 September 2020 at 3:49pm
There are two transistors that are visibly burnt out. Ive been trying to figure out if that is all the damage. Does anyone know of how i would go around testing them?

Posted By: monkeypuzzle
Date Posted: 16 September 2020 at 5:44pm
Please don’t take this the wrong way, people here are pretty good with offering help but if you need to know how to test a transistor on a power amp with pretty high internal voltages then it might be best you give it to someone else to look at. You will need to desolder them from the board and check for current flow between the base and emitter and the base and collector and a short between collector and emitter. You will need a multimeter with diode test function on it. 

Although it is possible that these are the only thing that has popped in it, it’s most likely to have been caused by or caused damage further back up the circuit.

However, I have one on its way to me at some point that has dc on an output so if you do find one I’d love to know. A call to matrix is your best bet though.

-------------
blah blah blah blah blah......

Posted By: M4trix
Date Posted: 16 September 2020 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by monkeypuzzle monkeypuzzle wrote:

A call to matrix is your best bet though.

I'm here but unfortunately I don't have the schematics. Tongue_Wink

Posted By: Sonic the hedge
Date Posted: 16 September 2020 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by monkeypuzzle monkeypuzzle wrote:

You will need to desolder them from the board and check for current flow between the base and emitter and the base and collector and a short between collector and emitter. You will need a multimeter with diode test function on it. 

A couple of tips

Since output transistors are bolted to heatsink, instead of removing from PCB I isolate the transistors to test in-situ by disconnecting surrounding components e.g. emitter resistors etc. These can be desoldered at one end only and left 'flying', that way nothing gets lost or forgotten where it goes

Some amplifiers it's possible to test whole bank of output transistors in one go, by isolating as above and comparing the test result with a known good bank e.g. on the other (working) channel. If you find a bank that's well out then proceed to test each transistor individually to find the bad ones.

Laziness can be useful at times Tongue

Posted By: kedwardsleisure
Date Posted: 16 September 2020 at 11:36pm
if the transistors are visibly burnt, then without stating the obvious, there's no point testing them. They're broken.

If you're talking about the output mosfets then you need to make sure none of the others are faulty including running into gate current.

-------------
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Date Posted: 17 September 2020 at 4:07pm
Thanks you for this advice. Ill give it a go soon

Posted By: EmPro
Date Posted: 02 June 2022 at 10:36pm
Guys....you're speaking of emitter resistors,collector,base,emitter etc etc on a dual die lateral mosfet amplifier....it is not a BJT amplifier is a Mosfet,and quite easy one to fix if you have enaugh money for the outputs LOLLOL

-------------
EmPro Audio

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net