Print Page | Close Window

Converted car audio to mini SS

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: General
Forum Name: 12v Powered Systems
Forum Description: From Mini-rigs to ICE, all your low voltage audio needs here...
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=105780
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 2:49pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Converted car audio to mini SS
Posted By: skysofree
Subject: Converted car audio to mini SS
Date Posted: 10 October 2020 at 11:42am
Hello
I'm new into soundsystems and I plan to build my first 4-way system in few months.
For the warm up and to check my carpentry skills I want to build mini mobile system with speakers from my camper car audio. Season will soon will end so i will no longer need 'em in my camper.

So far i have:
STEG MS650 - 16,5cm
STEG LEO 650 - 16,5cm - without tweeters
Amp AMPIRE 720.6 - 3 way - 12V

What i want to build:
Hog Scoop - resized to 2/3 for 12" speaker
2x HD15 - resized for 16,5cm speaker
2x 22x22x22cm box for midtops 
2x 17x8,5x15cm box for tweeters

with 12mm plywood

I've chosen hog and hd15 because i want to build them for my bigger system later.

My questions are:
1. What i should look after for buying 12" sub for scoop. I don't want to spend much on this just to make it work nice. 50-100€ max

2. Simple piezo tweeters 8,5cm 100W will be any good?

3. Do i really need those tweeters? They will be connected serial with LEO 650 2way coax speaker with tweeters already in it. I do it mostly for authentic soundsystem look.

4. Will those boxes improve anything the sound of those speakers? Anything better?

5. What do you think of this idea at all? Tongue

Replies:
Posted By: Chris Grimshaw
Date Posted: 10 October 2020 at 1:45pm
Just a quick note that scaled-down horns won't cover the same frequency range. Best bet is to fire up Hornresp and see what's what.

Chris

-------------
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com

Posted By: Bams
Date Posted: 10 October 2020 at 2:13pm
The price of wood is fairly high.. don’t think your budget will fit for wood alone (depending where you live) speakons and such will set you back 30 euro’s alone.. cheap piezo’s can be found for 1 euro on wish.com. Might be fun for experimenting. 

I would use the gear for a decent reflex cabinet, things like rebating and such can also be trained on them and a decent monitor is never wasted afterwards. 

Date Posted: 10 October 2020 at 2:43pm
I already ordered cut plywood for 70€ and i will have half sheet left for further experiments.
I won't use speakons coz speakers are connected to amp via standard speaker cable. Amp already have filters for crossover so i only connect amp to car battery and it should work. Later i will use some inverter to use it for 230V also.

For 50-100€ i want to buy only 12" speaker for scoop.

I'm unsure if those tweeters won't collide with sound of LEO 650 coz they will be on the same channel. I will check it, those are not expensive. Yep, 1€ for 1 and i will use 4.

Posted By: studio45
Date Posted: 10 October 2020 at 2:58pm
Don't make a scaled down Hog, make MTH30 or THAM12. 
Also if you want to use those piezo tweeters for the "look", don't bother wiring them up! They really sound awful.

-------------
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA

Posted By: slaz
Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 10:08am
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Don't make a scaled down Hog, make MTH30 or THAM12. 
Also if you want to use those piezo tweeters for the "look", don't bother wiring them up! They really sound awful.

Heh. Yeah - people who want to build a system _just_ for the way it looks :-/ ..... they'd be better off with a theatre flat with some scoops and piezos etc. just painted on - and have the sound coming from somewhere else.

-------------
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 10:13am
The piezos are far from great or even mediocre sounding. But with some well placed resistors can be a welcome edition to a 6,5” running high. Great to experiment and learn from. Also order a resistor kit :)

Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 11:12am
Reminder
This is mostly to improve my carpentry skills. Not to make it look cool and sound bad :)

Next project will be without compromises full sized system. I'm already gathering gear for it and doing some planning. I will use small system for small bbq parties with friends and to leave it as furniture at home studio :)

I'm sorry that you feel offended by bad work :D

Can you tell me a bit more or recommend some lecture bout placing those resistors? I will build those boxes with piezos anyway to experiment a bit. Maybe i'll try to make some passive x-over on those. JUST TO EXPERIMENT but every advice is welcome.

Thank you so far for your time!

Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 1:24pm
If you google taming piezo tweeters you will find loads of info on the simple resistor option. But here a good start to build a straightforward crossover, a bit more usable.  http://www.frugal-phile.com/piezo-XO.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.frugal-phile.com/piezo-XO.html

Posted By: Tonskulus
Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 4:50pm
Its always possible to build small HOG scoop looking subwoofer, which is actually reflex if a look is so important  thing.. and to keep the low end extension acceptable.  

Posted By: munkey
Date Posted: 11 October 2020 at 6:36pm

We scaled-down a hog to 2/3rd's and put a car sub in it. It played louder than the cab it was originally in. It really threw the bass. No science used. Just built it. This was many years ago. It's still knocking around

-------------
the midtops!

Posted By: djkeet
Date Posted: 15 October 2020 at 1:56am
Scrap the speakers from the camper van and buy proper Drivers ie 4ohm versions of reputable makes

-------------
Soundbite

Date Posted: 31 October 2020 at 11:07am
Still not finished, but here are some photos.

It lacks a little bit of the very bottom low freq but it's understandable. Still need to test and measure mini-hd15 and compare it with simpliest box, coz it lacks attack and power.

Maybe you can recommend me some kick design that would be good for 16,5cm speaker?

For aesthetics i will paint black edges and corners :)

Date Posted: 31 October 2020 at 7:16pm
And? Do the piezo’s add some zinggggg to the rig?

Date Posted: 01 November 2020 at 9:53am
Ah, yes. 
I was aftaid of those but actually they give a really nice touch to HF. All the hi-hats gained nice attack without destroying the rest of sound.

Those piezos had build-in roll-off at 4kHz. Maybe in future i will apply some crossover to it but it's really nice now how it is.

The only weak point is mids. Soon i will try to equalize it via laptop, through audio interface to amp 3x input to apply eq and comp only on certain bands.

And here additional photo i made at party yesterday :)

Date Posted: 01 November 2020 at 12:48pm
Really like the overall look when you think it is all scavenged gear. Couldn’t be some sort of cancelling of a reversed phase going on in the mids? Had that issue on my own rig and only find out after rewiring everything.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net