Print Page | Close Window

Keeping Fane XB alive in this large chamber mini?

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: Plans
Forum Name: Scoops
Forum Description: One scoop or two ;-)
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=106100
Printed Date: 21 April 2021 at 7:22pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: Keeping Fane XB alive in this large chamber mini?
Posted By: sarsen1
Subject: Keeping Fane XB alive in this large chamber mini?
Date Posted: 22 February 2021 at 11:37am
I picked up some mystery mini scoops from ebay and some bargain fane XBs from gumtree for a low budget lockdown project. 

From what I can gather, the mini's are to the modified MS-18 mk1 ( https://forum.speakerplans.com/ms18-mini-scooper_topic22858_page12.html" rel="nofollow - MS-18 ..Mini Scooper - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 12 ) plans with double 370mm rear baffle as below. However, the chamber looks to me like it is a bit big for the XB...

Should I try to put another 18mm rear baffle on to reduce the chamber size to 246mm? Or just run 38hzish hpf and not push it? Or any other ideas? (swapping cabs/drivers for more hardy Void/PD drivers not an option as keeping the costs low as possible).

I will be powering with berry inuke 6000 and have an ultradrive at my disposal. Music will be mostly roots/dub/80s dancehall but also other various styles.

Any advice on keeping less than ideal drivers alive in large chamber scoops would be greatly welcomed!







Replies:
Posted By: VECTORDJ
Date Posted: 22 February 2021 at 12:06pm
For the best Bass add more subs.....8 Mini Scoops run at 600 watts each will sound better then 2 run at insane crazy input levels. All woofers will fail if driven hard enough. Setting the Hi Pass filter higher will reduce cone flapping but of course will reduce deep bass to Your ears. In large chamber scoops one can always add blocks of wood or some other solid to reduce the chamber size to hear the diff. Scoops are Cool..............


Posted By: levyte357-
Date Posted: 22 February 2021 at 12:17pm
Leave Mini Scoop as is.

Sell the Fane 18XBs,
Get used PD1850 or Void V18-1000.

Will sound much better, and handle your music type, as I'm sure you'll be using a pre-amp.


-------------
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room!!".


Posted By: sarsen1
Date Posted: 22 February 2021 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by VECTORDJ VECTORDJ wrote:

For the best Bass add more subs.....8 Mini Scoops run at 600 watts each will sound better then 2 run at insane crazy input levels. All woofers will fail if driven hard enough. Setting the Hi Pass filter higher will reduce cone flapping but of course will reduce deep bass to Your ears. In large chamber scoops one can always add blocks of wood or some other solid to reduce the chamber size to hear the diff. Scoops are Cool..............

Yes for sure more would be better, this design is nice and simple so if I am happy with the sound and don't get cone over-excursion issues I will knock up some more.


Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Leave Mini Scoop as is.

Sell the Fane 18XBs,
Get used PD1850 or Void V18-1000.

Will sound much better, and handle your music type, as I'm sure you'll be using a pre-amp.

I knew this was coming, will keep an eye out for deals 2nd hand drivers and leave as is for the time being. No pre-amp yet but some kind of 1u unit with parametric EQs and killswitches to go into the ultradrive for limiters/alignment is the plan.

Thanks for the replies 




Posted By: levyte357-
Date Posted: 22 February 2021 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by sarsen1 sarsen1 wrote:


I knew this was coming, will keep an eye out for deals 2nd hand drivers and leave as is for the time being. No pre-amp yet but some kind of 1u unit with parametric EQs and killswitches to go into the ultradrive for limiters/alignment is the plan.

Thanks for the replies 


I am saving you money.

Fane 18XBs sound absolutely lovely in the right Scoops, right up until you get carried away, with your favorite Johnny Osbourne tune, and the Scoop go quiet... LOL






-------------
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room!!".


Posted By: sarsen1
Date Posted: 22 February 2021 at 3:43pm
hahaha yes this is what I fear. Ready or not, here I come........ blown drivers




Posted By: Meat Substitute
Date Posted: 22 February 2021 at 3:57pm
^^
...but in the meantime, you can wad the hell out of the chamber as a low cost stop gap. It won't make them bullet proof and you'll need to be careful you don't block the vents as well as with the power but it might get you a little bit more.


Posted By: sarsen1
Date Posted: 22 February 2021 at 4:20pm
Thanks for the tip, hopefully then with plenty of wadding and conservative hpf/limiting/eq I should be able to get a nice sound out of them while I keep an eye out for deals on v18-1000/pd1850. 


Posted By: imageoven
Date Posted: 22 February 2021 at 5:32pm
Cut the bottom 400mm off the cab and it would be about the right size for a reflex....


-------------
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.


Posted By: infrasound
Date Posted: 22 February 2021 at 5:58pm
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=blue+model+foam&_sacat=0%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=blue+model+foam&_sacat=0

Use modelling foam or polystyrene sheets and glue / nailgun to reduce volume if you want to

Cheap as chips and easy to undo later on


Posted By: sarsen1
Date Posted: 22 February 2021 at 7:39pm
Got a few tiles of acoustic foam left over from treating a studio room so might stick that in there and see how it goes!



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net