Print Page | Close Window

Skytone Amplifier (Chinese amps!)

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Amp Forum
Forum Description: The 'Stopping Jake Fielder moaning constantly' forum description...
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=107500
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 9:20pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Skytone Amplifier (Chinese amps!)
Posted By: DubKoala
Subject: Skytone Amplifier (Chinese amps!)
Date Posted: 21 November 2022 at 7:45am
Hi all,

I'm on the hunt for a Chinese amp or two.  I have looked into Admark, CVR, Sinbosen and have just come across these Skytone ones.

Does anyone have any experience of these amplifiers below? 

http://www.skytone-audio.com/enshowproduct.asp?id=729

http://www.skytone-audio.com/enshowproduct.asp?id=677

http://www.skytone-audio.com/enshowproduct.asp?id=713

Or experience with any of the other brands mentioned? 

I need amps for 4x1000w 18", 2x500w 15", 2x500 12" and some compression drivers too.

Many thanks!!

Replies:
Posted By: Elliot Thompson
Date Posted: 22 November 2022 at 2:52am
Possibly the ratings are based upon burst for, the Electrolytic voltage they claim cannot offer such power long-term.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Posted By: geez
Date Posted: 22 November 2022 at 12:49pm
I have a Pulse SPA600 and Carlsbro Powerline 400, mint with boxes going for beer tokens

-------------
You don't always get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get.

Posted By: paulus
Date Posted: 22 November 2022 at 1:21pm
just buy an old crest ca18 or crown vz5000 for 4 1000w18s ,it will last 20 years and sound nice , mis tops can use anything really ,go older and quality and pref class ab   rather than new and utter dog poop ,just example i have a crown mid range amp and an ecler compression drivers amp, i paid 175 for one and 120 for the other in 2006, i have done 100 and 100s of hire outs and my own partys all over the uk and they are still in the rack and used at every event ro run my mid range and tops , once  a year i hoover them out done , if that was newer lower quality amps i bet i would be on amp number 7 or 8 at least :)

-------------
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM

Posted By: levyte357-
Date Posted: 22 November 2022 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by paulus paulus wrote:

just buy an old crest ca18 or crown vz5000 for 4 1000w18s ,it will last 20 years and sound nice , mis tops can use anything really ,go older and quality and pref class ab   rather than new and utter dog poop ,just example i have a crown mid range amp and an ecler compression drivers amp, i paid 175 for one and 120 for the other in 2006, i have done 100 and 100s of hire outs and my own partys all over the uk and they are still in the rack and used at every event ro run my mid range and tops , once  a year i hoover them out done , if that was newer lower quality amps i bet i would be on amp number 7 or 8 at least :)

Yet again, I agree with most of that.. LOL

What is this trend among Reggae dudes, about seeking cheap Chinese tat, that are poor Lab Gruppen/Powersoft copies, but expect them to be better than the original !?

Mate had racks years ago, with Powersoft K20/K10 on sub and kick, and another rack of QSC CX range for mids upwards, and as long as the QSCs were regularly cleaned, they just earned money month after month, providing sweet sound.

In my books, only need to change from that, was to upgrade to X series.

-------------
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.

Posted By: kipman725
Date Posted: 22 November 2022 at 3:58pm
we have had a good experience so for with Gisen amplifiers: https://www.gisenaudio.com/" rel="nofollow - https://www.gisenaudio.com/
(D421 4x4200W 4ohm).  Not a copy of anything ASFIK.  I doubt an old MA5000VZ will last 20 years having repaired them.  By this time PCB tracks are starting to fail, thermal cycling of output transistors is causing output failure etc. they are fixable but replacing whole sets of output transistors isn't cheap and there construction is not conducive for easy repair.  

Posted By: snowflake
Date Posted: 22 November 2022 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Possibly the ratings are based upon burst for, the Electrolytic voltage they claim cannot offer such power long-term.

Best Regards,

caps on these are similar rating to the other amps mentioned, aren't they?

Date Posted: 22 November 2022 at 9:40pm
Before "snowflake" bends my ear again, about generalising Chinese amp bashing.. LOL

Wil admit there are the "few" decent Chinese amps out there, but they are few and far between.

I still wouldn't buy one, unless someone I know, has really put it through it's paces.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 November 2022 at 1:55am
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

Best Regards,

caps on these are similar rating to the other amps mentioned, aren't they?

Yes, they are similar. Marketing can give the uninformed that the Skyline HQ48 will offer 9600 per channel continuous average @ 4 ohms. To achieve that type of power long-term, the caps would need to be around 400 volts minimum.

Best Regards, 

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Posted By: DubKoala
Date Posted: 23 November 2022 at 8:09am
Thanks to those that have replied.  I live in NZ and going out and buying old amps is near impossible compared to the UK, EU and US as there are next to none available here, I have tried and tried again to no avail.

This has led me to look at other options.

Buying the big brands isn't really an option to me due to the costs.  The sound system will not be hired out and not be used every or every other weekend, it'll probably come out 4-6 times a year and the main intention is to bring a party to my local community not to be the biggest or baddest around. 

I'm not expecting to get something that matches or exceeds the big brands,  I was just hoping for some feedback (positive or negative) from people who have experience with the Chinese options.

I'm more interested in going for the non clone amps too.

Thanks again!

Date Posted: 23 November 2022 at 8:35am
For low mid freqs and above, would suggest, there are probably 4-5x China amp brands worth considering.

Sinbosen,
Admark,
Morin,
CVR,
Sanway.

Looking at brands that are not mentioned frequently on social media, and without buyer feedback is not recommended.

Some of these brands are more expensive, because they have better build parts. Sinbosen are great for this.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 November 2022 at 6:12pm
I wonder if those are real copper heatsinks or coloured anodised aluminium?

Posted By: M4trix
Date Posted: 23 November 2022 at 7:50pm
Technology from USA, counterfeited in P.R. China... LOL

http://www.skytone-audio.com/enshowproduct.asp?id=522" rel="nofollow - http://www.skytone-audio.com/enshowproduct.asp?id=522

Date Posted: 24 November 2022 at 2:29am

For many of us that have been in the industry for decades, we need to keep in mind the now generation are going to gravitate towards more Chinese orientated amplifiers as, it is more common than, the old iron core we grew up on.

It reminds me when the old folks would say valve amplifiers offered better bass than transistor amplifiers. Their opinions never steered the market away from Transistor Amplifiers. Evolution super-cedes everything.

The majority of Chinese Amplifiers are copies of something else. If you are a puritan, that is not going to help you buying amplifiers from China. Focus on what is reliable. Levette already mentioned the ones that have a history of reliability.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 24 November 2022 at 11:59am
I can assure you the inside of a Macrotech looks nothing like that ha.

Posted By: paulus
Date Posted: 24 November 2022 at 12:34pm
its about 12kg lighter as well LOL

-------------
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM

Date Posted: 25 November 2022 at 7:46pm
Quote Adopting Original ON Semi MJD340G & MJD350G high-class-special-used triode transistors
LOL

Btw, any audiophoolers on Speakearplans.com ? Wink

Btw, Dave nailed it back then.

Date Posted: 25 November 2022 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by M4trix M4trix wrote:

Btw, any audiophoolers on Speakearplans.com ? Wink
Audiophoolers/Audiophiles biggest weakness = Aesthetics LOL 

Best Regards, 

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 02 December 2022 at 1:12pm

Best Regards,

I contacted Skytone and asked about the conditions of their power rating tests. The reply I got was that they were "long-term sine wave". The technician they asked said they didn't know what I meant by crest factor! => AVOID

Date Posted: 03 December 2022 at 11:36am

Best Regards,

I contacted Skytone and asked about the conditions of their power rating tests. The reply I got was that they were "long-term sine wave". The technician they asked said they didn't know what I meant by crest factor! => AVOID

Remember, what a manufacture considers long-term and the user considers long-term are not always the same.

Best Regards, 

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 04 December 2022 at 8:45pm

The technician they asked said they didn't know what I meant by crest factor! => AVOID

They never heard... 'Google is your friend' !? LOL

Date Posted: 05 December 2022 at 8:32am
Think 1x page ago, we ascertained this is not one of the Chinese suppliers to consider.

Maybe we could make better use of the bandwidth, by discussing Chinese suppliers/units that are proven.

Seeing as discussing amps that are stable on 2 ohm stereo is so distasteful here, maybe we should discuss 1u Chinese amplifiers, that are great on sub at 4 ohm stereo.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 December 2022 at 9:16pm
Buy direct. The Admark, CVR, Morin and, Sanway have stores on Alibaba. This is China's eBay. 

There are plenty of small sound systems in the States, South America and, the Caribbean that are using the above brands at 2 ohms per channel with no problem. 

However, you won't find those who are using larger sound systems or been in the industry for decades sporting 2 ohms per channel. It just doesn't make sense to burden these amplifiers with such a load. There is nothing to gain. The price of these amplifiers are ridiculously low for the amount of power they deliver. They are very light in weight and, are one rack space. 

I have no idea why they are not popular in England compared to other parts of the world. Many have gone to the trouble to step up their line voltage from 105 - 120 volts to 208 - 240 volts in order to feed them over 200 volts to attain optimum performance. No one is going to go through such a procedure if the amplifier brands listed above where incapable of offering optimum performance. They have already proven themselves year after year. 

Of course, you are going to have some idiots that are going to try to operate such amplifiers on 105 - 120 volt line source and have piss poor results. However, since England standard voltage is 240, you need to weed out those who are oblivious to the ohms law much less less having the basic understanding of troubleshooting. More times, the error is the user and, not the unit.  

Best Regards, 

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 05 December 2022 at 10:06pm
Well said Elliot.

I personally would only use Void 8MK2 or Powersoft at 2 ohm.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 December 2022 at 10:32am
you can also buy several amplifiers for the same price as one Powersoft which you can keep in reserve in case of amp failure. 

Date Posted: 06 December 2022 at 10:42am
Originally posted by kipman725 kipman725 wrote:

you can also buy several amplifiers for the same price as one Powersoft which you can keep in reserve in case of amp failure. 

I heard "someone", setup at a Reggae gig, with Chinese 1U amp, with 4x 8 ohm 21" cabs per side.

Within 15 minutes, the amp was toast.

Apparently this was a "veteran" Reggae sound dude.

Not how I would do it, at all.Ermm

-------------

Date Posted: 06 December 2022 at 11:15am
Perhaps we should share our experiences of which models have worked for us ;)

Date Posted: 06 December 2022 at 11:53am

Had convo, with very experienced mate, who tells me, for these 1U 2x channel, "big" Chinese lightweights, for people who insist on loading them with 4-8x  21" subs, the thin line between amp working the whole night, and sub disappearing mid gig, is the HPF setting...

-------------

Date Posted: 06 December 2022 at 12:17pm
only one anecdotal story but disappointing from Sinbosen which look the best on paper and have a reasonable reputation. It's better not to have to make a warranty claim but if you have to it's nice to know that it will be honoured.

http://www.avsforum.com/threads/bad-warranty-experiences-with-sinbosen-amplifiers.3252000/" rel="nofollow - https://www.avsforum.com/threads/bad-warranty-experiences-with-sinbosen-amplifiers.3252000/

Have thought of making fake warranty claims for some of my amps to various manufacturers and see what the customer service response is, and then tell them the issue is resolved before they ship a replacement board out.

Date Posted: 06 December 2022 at 1:07pm

only one anecdotal story but disappointing from Sinbosen which look the best on paper and have a reasonable reputation. It's better not to have to make a warranty claim but if you have to it's nice to know that it will be honoured.

http://www.avsforum.com/threads/bad-warranty-experiences-with-sinbosen-amplifiers.3252000/" rel="nofollow - https://www.avsforum.com/threads/bad-warranty-experiences-with-sinbosen-amplifiers.3252000/

Have thought of making fake warranty claims for some of my amps to various manufacturers and see what the customer service response is, and then tell them the issue is resolved before they ship a replacement board out.

This outlines the importance, of thoroughly researching Chinese branded products, and locating relevant social media feedback, before taking the leap.

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Admark, and heard few things today, that confirmed why I was hearing conflicting reports from all over the World.

All depends on owners intended use, technical ability, and understanding you cannot use cheap China amp, the same way you would, an established premier brand.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 December 2022 at 1:50pm
For tops you could build your own amps out of modules from Hypex/ICepower/Pascal: https://www.soundimports.eu/en/icepower-2000as2.html " rel="nofollow - https://www.soundimports.eu/en/icepower-2000as2.html  ;
more expensive but good quality. 

Posted By: Esc4pe
Date Posted: 06 December 2022 at 4:57pm

I’ve yet to have an issue running oberton 1300 and pd1850 on Jam Q10 or CVR 3002 (Usually crossed at 35hz). Jam Q10 did end up with an unexplainable fault (was only running EV SX300 at the time) but blue Aran sorted it in great timing and all was resolved! Considering I only got the Q10 to run 12s in some KF750s it seriously surprised me when running our hogs, proper versatile little thing it is! Will have some more reputable branded amps to compare with come the new year but as of present the Jam and the CVR work perfectly fine on bass for me! 

Date Posted: 06 December 2022 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

This outlines the importance, of thoroughly researching Chinese branded products, and locating relevant social media feedback, before taking the leap.

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Admark, and heard few things today, that confirmed why I was hearing conflicting reports from all over the World.

All depends on owners intended use, technical ability, and understanding you cannot use cheap China amp, the same way you would, an established premier brand.

Don't forget making your Money Back with profit! All the amplifiers I've purchased in the past 8 years have paid them self back within the first 3-6 months and they are making me profit by the end of the year.

The majority of products are designed today to be disposable. So, you need to keep that in perspective.

In the case of the guy that posted his rant on AVS Forums, Costa Rica's line voltage is 110 – 120. The symptoms he is describing is based upon not having not enough line voltage.

In regards to the gasoline Generator he posted a video on, the amplifiers are protecting themselves because the voltage being produced by the generator may not be a sinusoidal waveform.

Best Regards,

-------------
Elliot Thompson

Date Posted: 06 December 2022 at 11:14pm
Never mind. My post was way off topic. Please delete this post.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net