Print Page | Close Window

Rig Link Up?

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Newbie Discussion
Forum Description: Newbie Discussion/Questions. Look less stupid here...
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=107579
Printed Date: 29 March 2024 at 7:39am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rig Link Up?
Posted By: 5th
Subject: Rig Link Up?
Date Posted: 26 December 2022 at 12:46pm
Hi there, wishing you all a very Happy Christmas.

I'm here with a newbie question!

I've been asked to be part of a rig link up in the Spring.
I'm up for it, but I'll admit, I don't really know what one is.

The way I see it:

My rig joins up with another one or two rigs making a big big franken-rig. I imagine this would be a pain to wire up and program, but a fun process.

or...

My rig sits in the field alongside a bunch of others, I play what I want, they play what they want. Like at UKTek right?
Can imagine this would be pretty jarring for the crowd there, to be honest.

What should I expect? Something else entirely?

Cheers.

Replies:
Posted By: KDW32
Date Posted: 26 December 2022 at 1:53pm
Try asking the people organising it maybe? We can only speculate here. They should have an idea in their heads how the link up is running.

Posted By: hectorberman
Date Posted: 26 December 2022 at 2:27pm
I would assume you will be simply be placing your systems next to each other and playing the same material. One frankenstack could also work but is lot more effort for little gain.

If they have a spare dsp channel, use it to send a fullrange signal to your dsp's input.

Posted By: monkeypuzzle
Date Posted: 26 December 2022 at 3:02pm
Link up is (usually) used to describe a situation where all systems set up and play the same source material. Unless the venue is massive (and potential audience is to) it’s a bit of a silly idea but an interesting way to compare different stacks/systems. As mentioned before, making a frankenrig can look quite cool/silly but often has little value beyond that unless all cabs are the same.

The other thing with this is you’ll probably only get a slot for one or two of your dj’s. The other option is a multi-rigger where systems set up individually and play there own stuff. Again, this needs a good sized venue and crowd. If there are already a few systems in for the link up, suggest that you do a second separate system. It may be smaller than the multi monster but you’ll have control over how it sound from an acoustic and content point of view.  If you put the bar next to it, you’ll do well.

-------------
blah blah blah blah blah......

Posted By: toastyghost
Date Posted: 26 December 2022 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by monkeypuzzle monkeypuzzle wrote:

Link up is (usually) used to describe a situation where all systems set up and play the same source material. Unless the venue is massive (and potential audience is to) it’s a bit of a silly idea but an interesting way to compare different stacks/systems.

Interesting (& fun) perhaps, but pretty much objectively useless since it’ll be impossible to avoid listening to the contribution more than one system at a time, regardless of where you stand.

You could space the systems out by several metres, measuring from each stack to the next based on centre to centre to try and reduce the overlap in coverage, but that kind of goes against the primary functions of being visually impressive to the punters & a social event for the rig owners.

I've also only ever been to one link-up event where each system was properly time aligned to the others, and it took me all bloody day

That's even worse when the systems are indoors.

Just something worth remembering. Seen lots of folk write off certain boxes, amps and the like based on this sort of thing.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net