So are there any good DIY designs?

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: General
Forum Name: General Forum
Forum Description: Open Discussion / Questions
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=107616
Printed Date: 18 April 2024 at 2:48am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: So are there any good DIY designs?
Posted By: Maze
Subject: So are there any good DIY designs?
Date Posted: 13 January 2023 at 9:28am
Lots of trashing of designs on here. How about enlighting others about good designs out there that are freely available and can be built instead?

Please list your favorite FREELY available design for...

Tops

Kick

Sub

Replies:
Posted By: levyte357-
Date Posted: 13 January 2023 at 10:52am
Tops - MT121

Kick - ES18 - Elektrikal 636

Sub -
Tricky, Wish I could recommend a DIY FLH as good as the WSX, but can't right now
Here on SP, we really need to come up with modded version of 186Horn, that is approx 1220H 636W 800D, and will do 45hz in pairs (in reality, not sims), with 18NLW9601.

-------------
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.

Posted By: Earplug
Date Posted: 13 January 2023 at 10:54am
I - (ok - my carpenter Smile) built a couple of (slightly) modified SMT212's. Loaded with P-Audio SN 12B's & BM-D750's. Still going strong & really great sounding cab. 

I also have a single Cubo 18, loaded with an 18 Sound 18LW800, that I picked up with a job lot ages ago. Unfortunately, just the 1, but I take it out occasionally for small events. I do like the sensitivity of the cab. It doesn't need 1000's of watts to drive the thing.   LOL

-------------
Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Posted By: JonB67
Date Posted: 17 January 2023 at 9:17am
There's a load of designs on the 18sound website. Couldnt find much feedback on them online so no idea if they're any good!?

Posted By: smitske96
Date Posted: 17 January 2023 at 10:06am
@JonB67

They are good, same goes for the newer B&C designs.

Posted By: Meat Substitute
Date Posted: 17 January 2023 at 10:33am
Of the designs on here I have to say I have a soft spot for the X1 sub. It's pretty old now but they really do drop with proper drivers and amps.

Posted By: JamesH
Date Posted: 17 January 2023 at 12:28pm
The B&C double 18 6thOrder bandpass is superb

Posted By: bob4
Date Posted: 17 January 2023 at 2:14pm
I'm amazed no one has mentioned the PM90 yet..... 🤔

Posted By: teeth
Date Posted: 18 January 2023 at 7:22am
it’s not really a plan as it’s a copy… 

but plans do exist…

a copy of the Ws218X ;)

does that count!?

Posted By: Sypa
Date Posted: 18 January 2023 at 7:51am
Hogs obviously , after all these years hearing them rumble still makes me excited Big smile

Posted By: smitske96
Date Posted: 18 January 2023 at 8:51am
Also add the DIYRM (Scott Hinson) to the list. Has various designs for PA and home available on his FB page with extended pdf's on them.

Posted By: teeth
Date Posted: 18 January 2023 at 10:07pm
what was the verdict on bill fitzmaurice designs? i know a few ppl who run his cabs and rate them, but i don’t know the circumstances of them getting hold of them 

Posted By: Meat Substitute
Date Posted: 19 January 2023 at 7:51am
I had Omnitop12s. The idea was great, the size was great, the weight was highly convenient. Just a shame about the sound.

Posted By: Requiem
Date Posted: 19 January 2023 at 8:05am
The plans for the WSX sub are widely available and they run really well with the standard Void V18. They sound great. Not sure if you would call it a DIY design as originally Martin Audio but its available for anyone to build due to its age.

Hog scoops, as mentioned, are pretty impressive. I dont particularly like the muddy bass of them but for sheer output they are hard to beat with many other DIY bins.

Punishers are pretty awesome for the size, a one man lift and have a real high output for a single 12" sub. 

Invaders too, are pretty good. maybe not the best but I like them

Even G-subs have a really high output and sound nice, but are better for indoor venues and not very good at outdoor or covering large crowds. Everyone slates reflex but I think thats just because they are 'boring' builds, you cant go wrong with a good reflex rig up close.

As for upper bass, the USB or the ES18 are pretty good cabs.

Tops, I have a soft spot for Xtro's but if you want ease of build and loading then the MT121 does the job great.

All have their downsides obviously as does any cab but cant really go wrong with those if they are loaded, set up and powered properly.

-------------
www.requiem-soundsystem.com

Custom Martin Audio WSX, USB & CSG Soundsystem based in Bristol

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net