Print Page | Close Window

ES18-BPH Build Pics

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: Plans
Forum Name: New Projects Forum
Forum Description: Forum for new speakerplans projects, in memory of Tony Wilkes, 1953 - 2014
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=14254
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 12:55pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: ES18-BPH Build Pics
Posted By: Static Age
Subject: ES18-BPH Build Pics
Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 1:50pm

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Mark James
Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 2:06pm
swish!

-------------
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure

Posted By: Heathrow_B_line
Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Static Age Static Age wrote:

i love that part of the build...  all the hard work is done just sit back and run the bead of glue along the panels...

-------------
Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.

Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 2:11pm
i know what you mean HBL, feels like the home straight doesnt it.

then you realise how long all the little finishing details take.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 2:22pm
but its so worth it!!!!!!!

-------------

Posted By: mylesound
Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 2:43pm
RCF loaded? not too sure.
and whats your xover points w/ the scoops
very nice build tho

Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 3:23pm
the RCF drivers were put in purely for a test. i x overed from the scoops to the ES18 at 80hz & ran the ES18 upto 190hz.

the combination worked very well & it would appear that the ES18 is a great choice for a kick bin above scoops (or any other sub).

i also tried the ES18 on there own running 30-190hz, this sounded ok. i then changed the high pass to 50hz, the bass was completely different, so much more defined & louder.

if you had a system that mainly played techno or music with no a great deal going on below 45hz then a stack of ES18-bph really would be a good choice, these cabs really do give a solid defined kick!

-------------

Posted By: Tekasis
Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 3:26pm
Looking good Static! Clap
What driver will you be using in them ? I should also ask what is the recommended driver ?

Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 3:27pm
I was a bit slow there.

Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 3:33pm
the driver in the pics is an older model RCF, its no longer in production & i cant remember the model No right now but they are 1000w RMS. i will post the model number up as soon as i remember/ look at the drivers next.

the cabs were designed to be used with P Audio C18650EL or SD18 depending on how low you want them to play.

Tekasis, if you are thinking of using these above scoops then you wont be dissapointed.

edit: thanks for all the good feedback guys Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 3:59pm

Tekasis, if you are thinking of using these above scoops then you wont be dissapointed.

Yeah! well when I previously mentioned above scoops all I kept hearing was HD's or some type of 15'' cab, but I wanted something to play a bit lower, then started looking at these.

Especially that they are singles & a bit easier to move.

Think I got to seriously consider these over G-Subs!

Posted By: mashgwan
Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 4:22pm
how did you find these to make, were they quite easy, we are about to build 4 to run under 6 fane (115 style bins)

Posted By: mylesound
Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Tekasis Tekasis wrote:

Yeah! well when I previously mentioned above scoops all I kept hearing was HD's or some type of 15'' cab, but I wanted something to play a bit lower, then started looking at these.

wouldnt they be louder than G subs?
obviously not lower but thats where the scoops pick up

Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 5:18pm

if you want them for use above scoops then the ES18 is way better than the G Sub, its louder & more defined in that frequency band, i really cant emphasize enough how much the ES18 kicks.

regarding the ES18 vs HD15: the ES18 has the ability to play louder & higher, i also find the ES18 has a more 'hi-fi' sound than the HD15.

though if van space is a premium the HD15 is smaller than the ES18.

i would just like to add that i have heard, G subs, HD15 & of course ES18-BPH & the above statement is purely based on my opinion.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by mashgwan mashgwan wrote:

how did you find these to make, were they quite easy, we are about to build 4 to run under 6 fane (115 style bins)

they are very easy to make, the angles are very straight forward.

i cut the panels on a table saw but a decent hand saw would make just as good of a job.

as for using them under 115 style bins, like i said in my other post the ES18 really doesnt offer much below 50hz, i guess in groups of 6-8 they might get down to 45hz.

-------------

Posted By: Jake_Fielder
Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 6:37pm
something i've been wondering....

if you keep raising the lower cuttoff to a higher & higher frequency does it get louder and more "kicky" for the same input? like 30Hz to 50hz made it louder and with more kick... so do you think if you raised the low cut to 70-80Hz it would sound alright? and would it be louder? say 70-190, or would that just be stupid as they're not designed for that band width.....?

Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 6:38pm
i think the fane version of the 115 play higher, also we already have the c650 drivers and we cant think what else to put them in as we want some loud cabs for outdoor use we play lot of tekno and breaks, what frequency are you using your es18's at

Posted By: HansA
Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 6:48pm
Sweet build. They look very nice.

Any specs on these cabs? Frequenzy range? Sensitivity?

-------------
�*�o�O�o�*�*: HansA, The FUBAR sound technician :*�*�o�O�o�*�

Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 6:54pm

i think the fane version of the 115 play higher, also we already have the c650 drivers and we cant think what else to put them in as we want some loud cabs for outdoor use we play lot of tekno and breaks, what frequency are you using your es18's at

i have been using them above subs 80-190hz. although as i previously said they can be used on there own succesfully 50-190hz.

the plans state that they can be used upto 250hz but i have yet to try this.

http://groups.msn.com/SpeakerBuildingpics/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=19 - http://groups.msn.com/SpeakerBuildingpics/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=19

-------------

Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 7:07pm
cheers, if you get the chance to try em up to 250, could you tell me what they sound like, i would have thought they'd struggle to get up that high with out sounding weird...

Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 7:12pm
i agree jake, thats why i havent tried it already. though as i have prevously mentioned they do sound better up higher than a HD15, most people agree that a HD15 doesnt sound so good above 150hz ish, where as the ES18 sounds great upto 180-190hz.

perhaps this is how FK1 & turbosound achieve the higher frequency extension from their 18" bass cabs?

-------------

Posted By: levyte357
Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 7:43pm

where as the ES18 sounds great upto 180-190hz. 
perhaps this is how FK1 & turbosound achieve the higher frequency extension from their 18" bass cabs?

Great build static, and thanks for the feedback.

Only problem is, layed horizontally, they look like they would be wider than 2x scoops stood vertically.

However, would make for a nicely balanced stack, with 2x vertical scoops, 2x vertixal ES18s, and 2x MT121's above that.

-------------
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".

Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 7:45pm

thanks Levyte, you are correct on the stacking points.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 7:48pm

Looking good Static! Clap
What driver will you be using in them ? I should also ask what is the recommended driver ?

I'm thinking Celestion 18FTR600 might be good budget option.

-------------

Posted By: ychole audio
Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 7:52pm
     Has anyone tried this versus USB?Any inputs?

-------------
I am ZERIEL'S dad!!!

Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 7:57pm
the USB is a variant of the ES18-BPH so i guess they would sound quite similar.

Davey T said he designed the USB specifically for use above sub cabinets, in his case LAB Subwoofers.

i'm sure someone could dig up the original USB thread to clarify this, i think it may contain info from Davey on how he expected this kind of cab to perform in multiples without subs underneath.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 9:48pm
  Im planning to build 2 of the USB's & load them with my already existing 2240H jbl from my old W-box(keele's bin).Would this be suitable driver?Thanks!!

-------------
I am ZERIEL'S dad!!!

Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 9:52pm
Read
http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4361 - http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4361
&
http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5371 - http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5371
for USB details

Read here http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4361&PN=3 - http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4361&PN=3
read the "What driver should i use" bit. it tells you everything that will work, and what parameters to look out for in a driver.

(sorry for the thread hijacking static Embarrassed)

Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 9:57pm
    Im planning to use them on the kick region crossed at 90-160Hz on top of 8(already existing) TITAN 48's all loaded with 2226H. 

-------------
I am ZERIEL'S dad!!!

Date Posted: 30 January 2008 at 10:22pm
i think the 115 in a stack of say 6 would probably drop as low as 8 es18???
if youv got c18 650 then maybey consider x1. for reasons that arnt exactly hard to imagine

-------------

Posted By: heinrich
Date Posted: 31 January 2008 at 12:33am
but..........but..........but..........

what about comparing this (ES18BPH) to known and popular FK1 or Turbo's....
anyone?

-------------
.....power is nothing without control....

Posted By: DJRava
Date Posted: 31 January 2008 at 10:32am
This is what I hope to be able to do, either by biting the bullet and getting a couple made and trying then alongside an F218 myself, or if someone could let us know how they sound when theyre x-over'd at say 40hz-120hz when loaded with an SD18. (maybe a bit of EQ necessary).
Would be good to know if they have anything happening below 50Hz, or if that's just going to destroy the driver!

Posted By: DJRava
Date Posted: 31 January 2008 at 10:37am

they are very easy to make, the angles are very straight forward.

i cut the panels on a table saw but a decent hand saw would make just as good of a job.

as for using them under 115 style bins, like i said in my other post the ES18 really doesnt offer much below 50hz, i guess in groups of 6-8 they might get down to 45hz.

oops, looks like i should've read more carefully...

Posted By: CHAMPION
Date Posted: 31 January 2008 at 12:53pm
wat they sound like ? punchy anmything liike the USB's ?

-------------
Sticks n Stones

Date Posted: 31 January 2008 at 1:18pm
very punchy, i guess they would sound similar to the USB but i cant say for sure as i have never heard USB's before.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 February 2008 at 12:43pm

as i said in earlier posts the cabs are currently loaded with RCF drivers though i couldnt remember what model.

they are RCFL18-851KN, as i already mentioned this driver is no longer in production.

i'm struggeling to find any info on this driver other than it is 1000w RMS, so if anyone has the TS for it i would be greatfull.

-------------

Posted By: jethrocker
Date Posted: 02 February 2008 at 3:18pm
Found http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/%7Ebhsteel/webbox/templates/help/DriverList.html - this.. barebones T/S if that helps..

Date Posted: 15 February 2008 at 3:09pm
Anyone tried or reckon the v18-1000 would work in the ES18-BPH ?

-------------
**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.

Posted By: josh
Date Posted: 19 February 2008 at 4:54pm
I dont really know to be honest but the recomended driver what works in the x1 works in the es18bph. The void works better in the x1, catch my drift!

Date Posted: 19 February 2008 at 5:39pm
thats a big magnet on the V18 1000 Tek, not sure if it would fit in the ES-18BPH without measuring up.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 February 2008 at 8:12pm

That would be a waste of a very good sub driver, Tek.

Better to stick with PD186, Celestion FTR, B&C 18PS100, PD188.

-------------

Posted By: Mircea Bartic
Date Posted: 19 February 2008 at 9:34pm

I don't think it will fit

I know that SD-18EL (not SD-18) does not fit, and the void is very similar in dimensions

-------------
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research" rel="nofollow - http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3

Posted By: josh
Date Posted: 20 February 2008 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

woudlnt be a waste if it sounded better than all of the others you listed, mind you i purely speculating, i actually have no idea how it would sound, as has been said some modification would be needed

Date Posted: 20 February 2008 at 5:07pm

Never knock till you've tried it they say!!!

I see you ain't mentioned any 18Sound drivers! Out of the many 18's they do, you must know one or more must be a killer in this cab.

What does BPH stand for ?

-------------
**Heavy Weight-Line**

Posted By: eltron
Date Posted: 20 February 2008 at 5:15pm

What does BPH stand for ?

BandPassHorn i guess.

Date Posted: 20 February 2008 at 5:20pm
That's what I thought.

I heard a double bandpass loaded with two v18-1000's & it was crazy, if this cab can sound like half of it I reckon it's worth a try!

But where would one start ?

Look how close the magnet of the SD18 is...

img165/8223/es18bphsideviewonlysmlgk2.jpg

-------------
**Heavy Weight-Line**

Posted By: soundsystemdan
Date Posted: 20 February 2008 at 8:02pm
I've thought about the V18-1000 thing.
I've done a bit of geometry, and I think adding a baffle to make it double thickness and making grooves similar to those in the HOG would enable the the Void to fit.
This will alter the volumes slightly, the front chamber volume could have a bit of expnding foam in the corners to compensate, but there's not much to be done with the rear. I'm not sure if the difference is big enough to matter.

-------------
http://dancomsound.com" rel="nofollow - http://dancomsound.com

Posted By: CHAMPION
Date Posted: 20 February 2008 at 9:40pm
Tekas
Get that grinder out....make that magnet fit ! LOL

-------------
Sticks n Stones

Posted By: TONY.A.S.S.
Date Posted: 20 February 2008 at 10:21pm
Out of interest, Where did this cab get it's name from. I saw the post and hoped to see something new, and all I saw was another Turbo copy. Not bleeting about anything, but i'm truly amazed at the amount of Turbo copied/influenced cabs on SP.

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/tony.rossell.3" rel="nofollow - http://www.facebook.com/tony.rossell.3

Posted By: Jhodas
Date Posted: 20 February 2008 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

Out of interest, Where did this cab get it's name from.

Staiper's initials, the driver size and 'Band Pass Horn'.

Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

I saw the post and hoped to see something new, and all I saw was another Turbo copy. Not bleeting about anything, but i'm truly amazed at the amount of Turbo copied/influenced cabs on SP.

You're one for doing things simply but doing them bloody well aren't you Tony? We all know you brace the b'jeezus out of your cabs. I think TS had a similar philosophy. Their cabs are a lot more common though, which means people are less reluctant to rip them apart and see how they work. Plus they sound good. If it ain't broke...

-------------
Until the Lions have their own historians, tales of hunting will always glorify the hunter.

Posted By: TONY.A.S.S.
Date Posted: 21 February 2008 at 9:56am
I know some people won't recognize the turbo bit from the outside, but when you look at the horn shape and path, it's turbo. I understand that when there's a good cab about, someone is bound to want to copy it. Making an improvement is great, and easy to do on Turbo cabs. Inspite of there great sound for size ratio, they were always built on a minimum materials principal. So easy to beef up.

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/tony.rossell.3" rel="nofollow - http://www.facebook.com/tony.rossell.3

Date Posted: 22 February 2008 at 10:58am
Originally posted by CHAMPION CHAMPION wrote:

Get that grinder out....make that magnet fit ! LOL

After careful consideration, it may not be worth it & may affect the sound drastically.

I'm thinking Celestion 18FTR600 might be good budget option.

What about the FTR18-4080HDX or FTR18-4080FD ? Still a budget option!

-------------
**Heavy Weight-Line**

Posted By: Buffmarley
Date Posted: 28 February 2008 at 5:12pm

thats a big magnet on the V18 1000 Tek, not sure if it would fit in the ES-18BPH without measuring up.

nice build, iv built two myself and loaded with pd1850s the magnet was a little to big, sanding down 4mm in the desired area helped.

Planning to make 2 more when i get round to it.

Date Posted: 28 February 2008 at 5:27pm
cheers. funny you should say that, i started building 2 more on tuesday.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 March 2008 at 4:25pm
as i said above i recently started another pair, heres a pic..

-------------

Date Posted: 12 April 2008 at 11:30am

very punchy, i guess they would sound similar to the USB but i cant say for sure as i have never heard USB's before.

One thing though, these would easier to move about on your own than a USB! 

-------------
**Heavy Weight-Line**

Posted By: Buffmarley
Date Posted: 13 April 2008 at 12:39am
nice static im building my extra 4 this weekend. will post pics when done :)

Posted By: robotnation
Date Posted: 13 April 2008 at 1:43am
I am considering building 4 of these if my ebay auctions cover it.  What midtop design / how many of them would work well with these subs?  They look so amazing and minimalistic.

-------------
naw man

Posted By: SteveAATW
Date Posted: 13 April 2008 at 4:50am
Bare in mind that as with nearly all band pass 18" horns you are going to need a stack of 8 of these before you get serious levels of output, 4 will be ok but will be by no means near the full potential of the cab, nor will it go that low.

As for mid tops - porn horns? MT102? MT122?

Posted By: hektik
Date Posted: 26 June 2008 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Buffmarley Buffmarley wrote:

nice static im building my extra 4 this weekend. will post pics when done :)
im also thinkin about building 4 of these, just out of interest how many sheets of ply u need to build 4 , and has n e 1 used just theses on there own for psytrance.

im thinking about using 4 of these with 2 tms4 or something similar

Date Posted: 27 June 2008 at 9:30am
about three & a half sheets will make 4 cabs, if you plan your cuts carefully.

if there is one kind of music these do well its psytrance, it sounds great through them!

TMS4 are good cabs but using them with ES18 will have you wondering what to do with the 18" section of the TMS4.
Do you cross over from the ES18 to the 18" turbo, this leaves the 18" turbo only playing a very small frequency band say 190-250hz.
Or do you used the 18" section of the TMS4 to cover the same frequency as the ES18?

personally i would use a different kind of cab for mid/high above the ES18, something without its own bass section.

-------------

Posted By: Hugo Biermann
Date Posted: 27 June 2008 at 10:41am
I would think that a good system for dance would be:
6x ES18-BPH a side with 2x MT-121 [or better Porn MK2] a side.

-------------
www.aggressiveaudio.co.za

Date Posted: 27 June 2008 at 11:37am

good point on the ...wot t do wiv the 18's in the tms4 ..how about 2 hd's for mid and 2 tse 111......or even mackia active 1530... the whole system needs t b small ,powerfull an transportable cant b arsed wiv having to use a luton evrytime i move it .

Date Posted: 27 June 2008 at 11:40am
in that case you might want four hds and a couple of x1 or even reflex subs, just a pair of halfe x10 on top and your away..... I will report back on the sn15b in the hd experience as soon as I have a shance to realy test them lol, they are uber leight, 1 man lift eaasily!

-------------

Date Posted: 27 June 2008 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by hektik hektik wrote:

good point on the ...wot t do wiv the 18's in the tms4 ..how about 2 hd's for mid and 2 tse 111......or even mackia active 1530... the whole system needs t b small ,powerfull an transportable cant b arsed wiv having to use a luton evrytime i move it .

HD15's for mid above ES18-BPH, err no. some kind of 12" straight horn between the ES18 & TSE111 would be good.

like Mark says i would go for a mid/ high cab that can play low enough to meet the ES18-BPH. reflex 10" or 12" would do it, half X10 or half X12.

have you seen my MT101 (single version of MT102) horns? i have modified the plan so they are the same width as the ES18. very compact & loud.

http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16858&PN=2 - http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16858&PN=2

-------------

Date Posted: 27 June 2008 at 12:51pm
heres our 2 being tested, hopefully there should be another 6 on the way

Date Posted: 27 June 2008 at 1:00pm
what are they loaded with & do you like the sound?

-------------

Date Posted: 27 June 2008 at 5:57pm

think im gunna go wiv 4 es18bph and 2 mackie active 1530's.....its all for psytrance and nothing else so i think the mackies should cope with the mid top quite well

Date Posted: 01 July 2008 at 3:49pm

what are they loaded with & do you like the sound?

ours are loaded with c650's and i think they sound really good

Date Posted: 01 July 2008 at 4:40pm
good stuff. it seems that there is quite a wide choice of drivers that work well in these cabs.

i have tried both RCF & Eminence, both sound great.

-------------

Posted By: Dj Maca Roots
Date Posted: 22 May 2009 at 12:00am
I'm going to try my set of Omega Pro 18, is that what you used?

-------------
Can't Stop Jah Music

Posted By: Sequence Empire:::..
Date Posted: 10 June 2009 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by Hugo Biermann Hugo Biermann wrote:

I would think that a good system for dance would be:
6x ES18-BPH a side with 2x MT-121 [or better Porn MK2] a side.

I've AutCAD'd the drawings for an ES218-BPH,
I plan on 3 ES218's per side with 2 x MT121's,
Drum & Bass/Dubstep
Is it worth going for the SD-18's to get the lower extension?  or do I need some dedicated subs goin on the bottom?
USB2's for one cab solution???

Posted By: bass traffic
Date Posted: 21 November 2012 at 4:20am

as i said in earlier posts the cabs are currently loaded with RCF drivers though i couldnt remember what model.

they are RCFL18-851KN, as i already mentioned this driver is no longer in production.

i'm struggeling to find any info on this driver other than it is 1000w RMS, so if anyone has the TS for it i would be greatfull.

A little bit out of date this thread, but I just dug up 2 links on these as I saw some on ebay:

http://members.home.nl/vanmeijeren/forum/rcf.pdf

http://www.vipelettronica.com/public/rss_rcf.htm

First one is probably more use, sorry too drunk to read rest of posts, this may have been answered already!!

-------------
Always think bigger because your dreams might be the only thing holding you back.

Posted By: Norseman
Date Posted: 16 February 2022 at 12:00am
can anyone explain how the BRACES X2 from the plans fit in...it doesnt seem right from the plan and those mouth braces may need to be made differently?  Im planning a build...

Posted By: Norseman
Date Posted: 16 February 2022 at 4:03am
Edit: i now see they go all the way to the back and probably need some kind of "notch" cut in them for slotting into panel "B"

looks easier to make a different kind of brace, lol

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net