Print Page | Close Window

C-Audio amps - model history?

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Amp Forum
Forum Description: The 'Stopping Jake Fielder moaning constantly' forum description...
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=17871
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 12:33pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: C-Audio amps - model history?
Posted By: Soundscape
Subject: C-Audio amps - model history?
Date Posted: 27 June 2008 at 11:20pm
Can someone provide any guide to the history of C-Audio's amp products?

I know the company started back in 1980 but what was the last range of amps they produced?  RA series? Pulse series?

There still seem to be quite a few different models in use but which of them have proved to be the most reliable?

Appreciate any info.

Thanks

Steve

Replies:
Posted By: colint
Date Posted: 27 June 2008 at 11:43pm
Contact monitec he may be able to help with this one!

-------------
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!

Posted By: Dave M
Date Posted: 01 July 2008 at 11:30am
Ra2000,Ra3000 reliable

Ra2001, 3001 reliable

Ra4001 - not so reliable

XR3801 - not so reliable

XR5000 - reliability?

SR606, 707 808 - reliable

SRX3601/3701,3801 reliable

pulse 2x650,2x1100, - reliable if modded to latest spec

pulse 4 x 300 not so reliable

st 400/600 1000 - ?

gb202 402 602 - ok

ra500 - good studio amp - reliable

Posted By: ceharden
Date Posted: 01 July 2008 at 12:00pm
One good thing about C-Audios is that if and when they do fail, it's rare that they are beyond help.Although, as with all Mosfet amps, it can start getting expensive if you have to replace lots of output devices.

I'm not necessarily a fan of their sound but they do seem to be good workhorses.

Posted By: biotec
Date Posted: 01 July 2008 at 12:08pm
I have 2 x Ra4001 amps, if used below max power they stay cool and seem pretty reliable. I've had mine, trouble free, for about 4 or 5 years. When they get ragged they get absurdly hot though and I wouldn't trust them to last too long with daily abuse.

-------------
me so horny, me love you long throw.

Posted By: H..
Date Posted: 01 July 2008 at 6:30pm
The Old SR606/707/808 were good for their time............. just hated the dodgy fans that you would have to flick with a cable tie or the like to get them going again.

Posted By: jjpa
Date Posted: 03 July 2008 at 7:01pm
got an st1000, has a habit of going bang if used on bass duty for to long, never cost much to repair, I only use it on tops now with no problems.
also got a gb602, used mainly for monitor duty never had a problem in 12 years.

john

-------------
The music is only to loud when it's distorted!!!

Posted By: Fushion Julz
Date Posted: 04 July 2008 at 2:15am
I've had, in the past, SR606, 707, RA500, 3000 & 3001
and I've used XR3801, Pulse 2x1100 and IA650
I still have a RA4001

All but the Pulse sounded superb on most duties...the RA500 is a sweet sounding studio amp that would double as a decent compression driver amp.
The old SR and the IA are probably the best sounding of the big ones...

The Pulses always seem to be going wrong and sound truly cack on bass duties!

The most reliable (contradicting Dave M) is the RA4001 and also the IA650
Always easy (and quick)  to have them fixed when C-Audio were at Harman (RIP)...Not had one go wrong in a long while so dunno how it is nowadays...

-------------
FUSHION SOUNDSYSTEM

http://www.fushion.org.uk - www.fushion.org.uk

Posted By: richard stringer
Date Posted: 04 July 2008 at 10:05am
I use to have a C-Audio GB602 and then when it got kicked by a mate (on purpose while I wasn't there, which then I put a f**kin knife to his throat and was gonna cut his throat if it wasn't for a girl stopping me. Never mess with a mans pa equipment), I got a QSC RMX-2450 which absolutely annhiliated the GB602 for sound quality and reliability. I was thinking about powering my subs from a C-Audio Pulse 2 x 1100 but decided not to

Posted By: SteveAATW
Date Posted: 04 July 2008 at 2:29pm
Thanks for that wonderful insight into your crazy world LOL

Posted By: Monitech
Date Posted: 04 July 2008 at 3:10pm

The RA500 wasnt built by C Audio it was built by third generation

it was rebadged hp100
the Ra501 was the C audio design

-------------
phoenix out of the ashes

Posted By: mykey
Date Posted: 04 July 2008 at 3:16pm
Monitech! are you anything to do with Monitech? Confused

-------------
......just all them hanging there like giant bananas.

Date Posted: 04 July 2008 at 3:40pm
Oh i'm not like that nowadays, i've calmed down and haven't been arrested for anything since 2001 and that wasn't anything major, just running down the road after a lad to smash his head in with a mini baseball bat, but then the coppers jumped me. Anyway, back to the point in hand, C-Audio amplifers aren't in my opinion anywhere near as good sound quality as Crown, Crest, QSC etc... but hold on the guy wants to know the history of C-Audio. Have you dont a search mate to try and fins out?

Posted By: haymere
Date Posted: 04 July 2008 at 4:23pm

Had RA3001, Pulse 4 x 300 & XR5001

All ultra reliable

XR5001 the ultimate big amp for sound if you like the warm british sound which I do

Date Posted: 04 July 2008 at 4:28pm
Personally I prefer the kind of that doesn't add any character the original signal but hey thats very rare these days unless I supose you go for something like a Lab Gruppen.

Posted By: Dave M
Date Posted: 07 July 2008 at 9:32am

sorry julz - i worked for c-audio/bss and my info regards relaibilty comes form seeing first hand units come back for repair over several years.

all the best

dave

Date Posted: 07 July 2008 at 6:14pm
Mykey
yes

-------------
phoenix out of the ashes

Posted By: biotec
Date Posted: 07 July 2008 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by richard stringer richard stringer wrote:

I use to have a C-Audio GB602 and then when it got kicked by a mate (on purpose while I wasn't there, which then I put a f**kin knife to his throat and was gonna cut his throat if it wasn't for a girl stopping me. Never mess with a mans pa equipment), I got a QSC RMX-2450 which absolutely annhiliated the GB602 for sound quality and reliability. I was thinking about powering my subs from a C-Audio Pulse 2 x 1100 but decided not to

sounds like a totally reasonable excuse for proliferating the use of knives in petty arguments.

-------------
me so horny, me love you long throw.

Posted By: Grumpy
Date Posted: 03 January 2009 at 11:42am

Run 3801’s on the Subs, 4001’s on Mids & 3001’s on the tops, never had any real  problems apart from protection circuits when damp but if left on with the fans running it soon clears. Also run TR850’s on monitors again no real problems. Don’t think I own an amp newer than 10 years old but if looked after and you don’t kick the S**T out of them you will always get 20 years plus out of a decent quality amp. Before C Audio I used Hill TX & DX amps and still have a rack of TX1000’s in the hire stock still going strong. Keep em cool, don’t let them clip and above all use your ears and they will last.

Posted By: andyamp
Date Posted: 03 January 2009 at 12:37pm
C audio ST'S were there worst.
I was asked by C audio to sort them out.
I was asked by Harmon europe not to sort them out, just before they brought out C audio.

-------------
a wise man changes his mind a fool does not.
http://www.matrixamplification.com/ - http://www.matrixamplification.com/

Posted By: Wrighty
Date Posted: 03 January 2009 at 1:11pm
A colleague of mine took a faulty ST600 in on part-ex a few years ago. Turns out the insides of the power switch had completely melted, so once replaced, it was absolutely fine and it goes out all the time in his hire stock with no problems. It was beautifully built inside with all the wiring looms done up with lacing cord - don't see that much these days! Perhaps the circuit design wasn't of the same calibre...?

-------------
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.

Posted By: tweeter box
Date Posted: 03 January 2009 at 1:32pm
i use my 2650 to run 2 x 12" mid per channel

IMO wouldnt recomend it to run sub bass! for some reason i just dont trust it to run bass

-------------
PRECISION SOUND SYSTEM.

Feeding the peoples needs for Roots Music.

Strictly premium grade reggae and dub steppers from the early 70's to present day.

Posted By: kedwardsleisure
Date Posted: 20 January 2009 at 10:06pm

Hi folks, sorry to butt in but do any of you know anywhere I can get my mitts on a schematic for the aforementioned TR850. I have a rather subtle fault or two which won't go away!

Date Posted: 22 January 2009 at 11:00am
hi pm me with an email address
i will mail it to you
regards
rich

-------------
phoenix out of the ashes

Posted By: Stumbler
Date Posted: 22 January 2009 at 11:20am
only had personal experience of 2 x Ra3001, which were always reliable for us over 5 years, often operating in pretty harsh conditions, outdoors indoors etc, only thing we ever did was clean them out once every year or two.  get very warm tho

worth noting that the only lightweight models(?) made by c audio, the Pulse range, were copied and used by Crown as the Crown Pulse range, then apparently, a bit later, and slightly changed, as the XS range

-------------
not as straight forward as i first imagined..

Posted By: chickenfizz
Date Posted: 22 January 2009 at 11:29am
A company I work for has two RA4001 in hire stock, they seem decent enough and reliable considering how much use they get.

I have seen one go bang spectacularly though, with sparks and fire coming out of the front, even this was an easy fix though, just shorted output devices and the soft-start resistor exploding in sympathy. Still gets hired out to this day :)

My only criticsm of them is the circuit boards are rather large and flappy with lots of heavy parts on them. Although it's never happened yet I don't imagine it would be impossible for them to come into contact with the case and short out.

Posted By: Robbo
Date Posted: 22 January 2009 at 11:36am
Just posted a load of SR series amps in the for sale section---in case anyone is interested--Cheers.

Posted By: Strange Daze
Date Posted: 22 January 2009 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Dave M Dave M wrote:

st 400/600 1000 - ?

great in my opinion.

used to have a 400 on mid duties....

Even when the fan broke, i gigged it hard twice, with no issues...

:)

Posted By: appliedian
Date Posted: 21 August 2010 at 9:14pm
Hi wonder if its possible to get hold of the diagrams for tr850 i have a sick one

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: 23 August 2010 at 12:42pm
The problem with the TR range is that, just like every other C-Audio unit, there are about 1206 different versions of board revision. One may bear no resemblance to another.

I had the diagram for one TR850 (hand drawn/typewriter) and it bears absolutely no relation to the one I have here at all particularly in the part of the circuit that has gone wrong. It is the TR range that sparked my utter contempt for this era of their output!

-------------
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Posted By: markie
Date Posted: 23 August 2010 at 12:52pm
I found something on the net that said they had a "Universal transformer" fitted, and that it was possible to upgrade an SR606 to a 707 merely by changing the connections on the transformer????

I have one which has been upgraded. But we'm not 'ad the new Lektrickery long down 'ere in Cornwall, and I don't really understand. Is it that simple????

-------------
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune

Posted By: ceharden
Date Posted: 23 August 2010 at 1:26pm
In order to get the unit cost down, C-Audio ordered one transformer for the SR606 and 707 with the windings for both on it.

Date Posted: 24 August 2010 at 7:44pm
I think the SR707 has a few extra transistors?

Nice simple amps these, relatively speaking! These, the pulse and the GB are my least hated C-Audio products. From me, that is high praise.

-------------
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Posted By: Aztor
Date Posted: 30 May 2012 at 11:47am
Is the C-Audio XR5001 stabile in 2ohms? Asking because I need to know if it is bridgeable in 4@ohms.

Posted By: wires
Date Posted: 30 May 2012 at 12:31pm

In the manual it doesn't specify a 4ohms bridge rating, only 8ohms or 16ohms bridged.

Personally at 2000w per channel at 4ohms i wouldn't bother bridging it at 4ohms.

Posted By: djeddie
Date Posted: 30 May 2012 at 7:00pm
No it's not I'm afraid. It makes enough heat with 4Ω a channel!

-------------
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB

Posted By: Aztor
Date Posted: 30 May 2012 at 8:23pm
Thanks! Wink

Posted By: brokenjoe
Date Posted: 03 June 2012 at 7:51am
is there a way of seeing if a 606 has had the mod? 

if i took a picture of the transformer would anyone be able to see? 

-------------
error 404

Posted By: brokenjoe
Date Posted: 03 June 2012 at 7:52am
is there a way of seeing if a 606 has had the mod? 

if i took a picture of the transformer would anyone be able to see? 

-------------
error 404

Date Posted: 06 June 2012 at 10:58am
the transformer will have the violet wires connected to the rectifers

-------------
phoenix out of the ashes

Posted By: Mandachuva
Date Posted: 31 January 2013 at 1:34pm
Raised from the dead...

My name is Mihai Toma, a sound engineer from Timisoara, Romania.

I have in my hands a recently purchased RA501 which has started developing an intermittent problem on one of the channels. Would any of you have any schematic or service manual for the RA501, or would you have any idea where I could get them? I've combed what I think is the entire Internet for such a schematic, but have turned up empty until now.

Thanks in advance, and all the best!

Posted By: Dave FFA
Date Posted: 31 January 2013 at 1:45pm
Mihai contact lee basham at linea research here in the UK, he should have the  501 diagrams, id suggest inspecting all the joints associated with wireforms as there are several looms in the 501 that are soldered to pins on the printed circuit boards. theres also a few IC's in sockets worht checking out. all the best dave

Posted By: Mandachuva
Date Posted: 31 January 2013 at 1:51pm
Thanks a lot, Dave. Have already done all that you've mentioned. ;)

I had found out about Mr. Basham on another forum, and posted in the appropriate thread - but I think that he's not into that forum, nowadays. But thanks to your info, I now have his Linea Research e-mail address, and will try contacting him directly. Thanks a BUNCH!Hug

Mihai Toma

Posted By: simonp1100
Date Posted: 31 January 2013 at 2:14pm
PM your email address & i will send you the circuit. 

Posted By: Mrd999
Date Posted: 31 January 2013 at 4:43pm
Have also been in touch with Lee a while back,but due to family reasons he said he can't do anything at present,pity as he is only down the road from me.
Don't want to tempt fate,but I have an xr3801 which runs my 4 hd15's fine

-------------
What goes around, comes around

Posted By: onefootskenk77
Date Posted: 19 September 2014 at 4:30pm
Hi any one know the specs of the C Audio SR 808

-------------
EMPIRE SOUND

Posted By: dadaumpa
Date Posted: 14 September 2015 at 9:16pm
Hi all, I own six SR707 with the old chassis design.
These have been bought used coming from a disco in 2002 for a bargain price.
Fans have been replaced because very noisy with sleeve bearing gone, with the original ETRI unit under thermal control circuitry and some checks have also been made here and there.
Ruggedness of the chassis is good, but the weight is quite high.
Four of them are currently driving four Nexo LS2000 subs with more than good result, lots of power and good control. Any channel drives a 18" woofer, 4 ohm load.
No thermal problems evere encountered with them.
The other two works usually in a biamplification rack 
One channel drives the LF section, the other channel of the same unit drives the HF section. Fx ranging from 80 to 1050 Hz due to the system combination used (under active digital controller).
Never had any problem with them, very reliable and good sounding, also with high energy program like compressed rock or tekno/house music.
These amplifiers are sturdily built and they were quite expensive.
Cool air is taken from the rear, where the fans are located, and it is exhausted from the front.
The can go warm but never absurdely hot also when pushed to the limit (clip led sparingky blinking) on 4 ohm load. Never used them on 2 ohm load.
Cooling system works well, despite the small holes in the front panel, but avoid to put them in cases with different amplifiers with opposite cooling direction, because heating problems may arise.
Also, do not use vented (perforated) blank panels in the front of the rack, otherwise hot air exhausted will degrade the cooling system efficiency, ricirculating on the back, especially in close spaces.

Regards

Marcello

Posted By: Mark James
Date Posted: 03 October 2016 at 1:04pm
sorry to resurect an old thread 
possibly about to bid on a gb402 on the bay and i was led to believe these were half decent amps
but now im worried, is it usual for owners to instantly turn into mini baseball bat/f$%£ing knife wielding maniacs? and do these amps come with a mini baseball bat / f%£$ing knife? or do i have to buy these seperately?LOL is it just a case of taking precautions so that a mate wont kick the amp on purpose causing me to have to attack him with a f%£&ing knife? is this a common phenomena amongst c-audio owners? or did later revisions of the design alleviate these problems?

on a serious note would the gb402 do a decent job running upper mid/his either a pair of ciare 6" or a air of bms 4524 comps per channel? sometimes one channel doing the 6 one channel doing the comps? and is £75-90 ish plus post a decent price?

-------------
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net