Print Page | Close Window

**terra horn**

Printed From: Speakerplans.com
Category: Plans
Forum Name: New Projects Forum
Forum Description: Forum for new speakerplans projects, in memory of Tony Wilkes, 1953 - 2014
URL: https://forum.speakerplans.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1956
Printed Date: 18 April 2024 at 5:31am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: **terra horn**
Posted By: minaximal
Subject: **terra horn**
Date Posted: 01 June 2005 at 9:45am

from the soundcheck thread..

yep, its my own "little" beastie, 3.4m "supercurved" smooth constant expansion 26hz fc hyperbolic horn, loaded with pd1850, taken best part of a year learning about horns and reading the wise words of other whilst loitering round places like this.. and then the cutting... let alone design n learning autocad etc

anyway yep we like our noise, but it was tested at points, as much as could be done with a bridged peavey cs1000

i did wonder if anyone here would have noticed hehe

i'm sure theres a few that may b interested, trying to get construcion photos sorted on a website.. maybe start next week

al

Replies:
Posted By: rinky
Date Posted: 01 June 2005 at 11:03am

it looked a bit different to say the least. is it possible to stack them?

Date Posted: 01 June 2005 at 11:55am

well, they have a large mouth (only built one so far tho) and i designed them to work in pairs side by side or for a bit of serius bass with four; on their sides, two on bottom two on top. having said that one seemed really good with a bit of eq in 2pi, so should be absolutely fine in 0.5pi due to boundary reinforcement and cabin gain.

oh and it took 3-4 of us to move them cos i hadnt had time to put handles on yet.. hopefully tonight, when theres enugh of us at home to lift it back up the stairs from the van

the only problems with a stack of four on their side would be u cant sit in the middle, which was very nice indeed. (30hz massage at 130+db 18mm from your back, lying down in one) and everything needs strapping down, or they might walk away..

Posted By: rinky
Date Posted: 01 June 2005 at 1:10pm

have you got any pictures? it looked like the horn path was cut from one peice of wood - it's difficult to explain.

was it folded in the normal way? or more of a curved horn (like a trombone)?

Date Posted: 01 June 2005 at 2:14pm

here is a cad screenshot. the red line is disecting the outer center of the rear chamber.. the horn profile and this rear chamber section are cut from one sheet of ply per side.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us" border="0" />

or http://img205.echo.cx/img205/1898/terrahorn7ie.png - http://img205.echo.cx/img205/1898/terrahorn7ie.png

its not teknically folded as such,  you can see its curved around the 2 corners, i havnt read any research,  but as far as i can imagine sound waves can propagate with less friction/turbulance or eddys round a smoothed corner rather than the bp effect of right angled corners in most folded horns.. dont forget standing waves and back reflections too, reducing efficiency.. which isnt taken into account in horn response... this may even lead to the possibility of a much higher crossover point if so desired, because it more resembles a "warped" straight horn. i havnt as yet tried it above 90hz.

got loadsa photos, but theyre all on my gf computer.. half in sequence of construction. still waiting for slide film of the horns escapades at the teknival to come back..

Posted By: Timber_MG
Date Posted: 01 June 2005 at 2:47pm
There is actually a tool that gives you a vry god optimum AND exports to dwg!!! Go to cornu.de -> forum -> FAQ and look for WH Geiger's horn folding spreadsheet.

Date Posted: 01 June 2005 at 3:23pm
yep seen it/used it, it is a great little tool, but that is still assuming a degree of curvature is involved.. in comparison to ur average flat paneled fold, and it tends to go a bit crazy with long curves! (also 1 curve at a time)

Date Posted: 01 June 2005 at 3:35pm
That is where you need to start thinking about the shortest wavelength (i.e. at the top of your bandwidth and half-one octave above) and make a compromize generally on the inside radius, do 5cm really matter when you have a 1/4 wavelength of (eg) 40cm @ 200Hz?

I just use it to get the fold close theoretically and then shuffle arounda  coupl eof parameters, including "compromizing" the last bit of the horn (hornresp with conical equivalents and for eg. a faster terminus). The first bit is the most important and due to the low cross section simplest to fold well.

Date Posted: 01 June 2005 at 3:36pm
I also tend to think in terms of preserving the same volume of the horn contour where possible with the constraint of 1/4 wavelength

Posted By: tb_mike
Date Posted: 01 June 2005 at 5:46pm
3.4m with 26hz Fc ,thats what im talkn about! Bass therapy!

Date Posted: 01 June 2005 at 8:27pm

@ timber, yep i'm sure your right talking wavelengths, but have you ever tried tugging a ratchet strap round a 180 degree panel, then around a smoothed curve.. i can imagine pushing air being the same: less friction and turbulance and reflections.

anyway it is kind of less practical but looks the  bollox, and is less "compromised" 

@mike i'll get some photos sorted soon

Posted By: JD01
Date Posted: 01 June 2005 at 8:28pm
I wonder how long the PD1850 will last. The loading is serious in such a long horn. Even the two special made 12" speakers in the EAW KF940 couldn't take it (and 12" cones are much more stable than 18"s are....).

Date Posted: 01 June 2005 at 10:43pm

yes, i dont know much about the kf940 but i think it has 9ft pathlength and claims something like -3db at 22hz, meaning the driver is surely running below horn fc, i dont know what methods they employed to get this but i imagine a very high compression ratio in the throat chamber..

apples and oranges are tired> more like eels and wasps comparrisons (pet favourite)

what i'm asking is, is pushing 9 feet of air (then the rest in the audience space) with 2x12" drivers or 11ft of air and the rest with one 18" really as important as all the other factors, like compression ratio, pathlength, fc and driver parameters...let alone i dont intend to push out 22hz eq'd to -3db with one horn? 

but i hope its ok, and yes you could be right, better keep an ear on it

al

Date Posted: 02 June 2005 at 4:28am

Originally posted by minaximal minaximal wrote:

that i'm asking is, is pushing 9 feet of air (then the rest in the audience space) with 2x12" drivers or 11ft of air and the rest with one 18" really as important as all the other factors, like compression ratio, pathlength, fc and driver parameters...let alone i dont intend to push out 22hz eq'd to -3db with one horn? 

but i hope its ok, and yes you could be right, better keep an ear on it

al

Wait and see I guess!I think its a function of the acoustical impedence now applied to the driver - combination of compression ratio and horn itself. Maybe a low compression ratio will help...

If you HPF correctly, and use the right amount of power nothing untoward should happen.

Date Posted: 02 June 2005 at 4:33am
@ tb_mike. THe concerns JD01 raises are not with over-excursion, but I think one should just give it a go (it is a PD1850 after all)

Date Posted: 02 June 2005 at 5:14am

Originally posted by Timber_MG Timber_MG wrote:

@ tb_mike. THe concerns JD01 raises are not with over-excursion, but I think one should just give it a go (it is a PD1850 after all)

I know,I want to take it out of the equation and see if the cone will survive if well implemented but with an unknown horn load

Date Posted: 02 June 2005 at 9:15am

well, i tested it for about 24hours non stop(apart from genny's running dry every 5 hoursish) at just below clip with a bridged cs1000.. so 1100w is clip, and other people here have suggested 1200w nominal idealy 2000w for headroom with a pd 1850. (was it julz powered 3.5k into one for fun once with no probs)

the compression ratio is highish at 2.5, but shouldnt be too bad i hope, i used angled flares on either side of the baffle like roborg, for more direct/smoother/reduced throat entrance.

i'm unsure as to how the acoustical impedance will be affecting the system, and the electrical impedance has its worst dip to 6ohms (bearing in mind this is one cab in 2pi so 2 cabs should be smoother)

fc is at 26hz and displacement at 34hz should be around 10.3mm 1 horn 2pi, (1850= 11.25 xmax the overstated way) this is where i set my hpf l-r 24db, but i would like to experiment a little lower... idealy with another cab at least.

and it all seemed fine!..so far

Date Posted: 02 June 2005 at 4:04pm
The 1850 is noted for it's mechanical stability mind you. Fo rfun you could try popping a Craaft super lightweight 18 in there and play catch with the cone (you did mention the curved sections)

Date Posted: 03 June 2005 at 9:58am

mate sat inside enjoying the bass; not very good photo, its obviously from behind the stack, still waitibg on other photos.

Posted By: JD01
Date Posted: 04 June 2005 at 11:11am

With reasonable power the speaker won't 'disrupt' but it will get a soft cone with time if the load is too high. The thing about that is that an 11' horn just has to have a high loading, otherwise there is no sense in having such a long horn (IMO). That is the result of the horn transformation. The radiation resistance must be pretty high.

One thing about the old CS line from Peavey: They all have slight highpass of 3dB per Oct (dunno how this is possible but it is the truth). That means they are 3dB down at 50Hz vs. 100Hz. That stops around 100Hz. I noticed it many times in AB comparisons, where other amps had noticeably more output around 40-50Hz, but the CS just pushed harder around 100Hz (all amps same output power).

In addition to that a CS1000 bridged isn't a really good amp for driving horns. I learned that while trying to drive four CV T36. Each had its own bridged CS1000, so around 1000W per cab. But it just didn't perform that well. Nowadays I use a LAB Gruppen fP6400 set to 1680W per channel at 4 ohms for all four (so 840W per cab) and it works much much better. It's a difference that is very noticeable with the plain ears.

Posted By: Tom Umney
Date Posted: 04 June 2005 at 12:09pm

Soft cone eh?????? Use a non paper cone then.

How about Beyma 18P1000 then???? SPECIALLY TREATED CONE WILL NOT TEAR IN A FOLDED HORN CABINET & CAN WITHSTAND SEVERE OUTDOOR CONDITIONS  And EV  EVX-180B uses a ribbed kelvar fibre cone.

http://www.usspeaker.com/homepage.htm - http://www.usspeaker.com/homepage.htm

And some Fane Collosus speakers use  Polycellulose cones.

Date Posted: 05 June 2005 at 9:41am

that beyma seems interesting, but its mostly hype. it may not "fold" in a horn loaded cab but it would bottom out first due to its lowish bl and highish qts. its not very suited to long horns, because it wants a low compression rate and large rear volume to go down low and then becomes less compliant and will exceed its emax.. which is the same roughly as the pd1850, but thats more compliant.

i guess its a bit of a trick to have a high bl and lowish mmd with a very stiff cone, and then suspension must come into check also.

@jJD01

thats quite interesting about the cs amps, would that be a way to get around having a lowish damping factor of around 200 in bridge mode. or do you think damping is just a red herring.

the only reason we use it is for lack of £££. 

i intend to run some sine tests today, maybe i'll check voltage at different frequencys then to see if the affects of this are noticed in frequency specific power output!?

Date Posted: 06 June 2005 at 7:52pm

that beyma seems interesting, but its mostly hype. it may not "fold" in a horn loaded cab but it would bottom out first due to its lowish bl and highish qts. its not very suited to long horns, because it wants a low compression rate and large rear volume to go down low and then becomes less compliant and will exceed its emax.. which is the same roughly as the pd1850, but thats more compliant.

i guess its a bit of a trick to have a high bl and lowish mmd with a very stiff cone, and then suspension must come into check also.

@jJD01

thats quite interesting about the cs amps, would that be a way to get around having a lowish damping factor of around 200 in bridge mode. or do you think damping is just a red herring.

the only reason we use it is for lack of £££. 

i intend to run some sine tests today, maybe i'll check voltage at different frequencys then to see if the affects of this are noticed in frequency specific power output!?

\

Red herring. Any resistance present in the speaker cable will ruin manufacturers Dfactors of ten hundred billion ,down to 50 or so.

Some run negative output impedence to cancel Voice coil Re,while some 'synthesise the inverse of the loudspeaker properties' to achive,um something -some sorta non reactive load,duno how practical.

People are hearing differences between amps,I dont know how,Havent experienced it myself not enuf amps around.

Mike.e

Posted By: _djk_
Date Posted: 06 June 2005 at 10:29pm

"Red herring. Any resistance present in the speaker cable will ruin manufacturers Dfactors of ten hundred billion ,down to 50 or so."

Crown Delta Omega 2000 has feedback sense leads to go directly to the drivers to negate speaker wire resistance.

-------------
djk

Date Posted: 07 June 2005 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

"Red herring. Any resistance present in the speaker cable will ruin manufacturers Dfactors of ten hundred billion ,down to 50 or so."

Crown Delta Omega 2000 has feedback sense leads to go directly to the drivers to negate speaker wire resistance.

Thats all good and nice sounding,but what are the practical results?

Saw a circuit in Electronics Australia suggesting how to do this.

Date Posted: 08 June 2005 at 7:24am

the delta omega amp was also introduced in 1982, it doesnt look like they still bother employing the technology any more...?

i ran some tests on my horn for the last two days, and it seems that the (very old) cs1000 amp does start to drop its voltage;

at ^45hz-30hz;  to 50v (300w) (@30hz) 8r bridged a bit after the hpf kicks in whilst still keeping nearly as close to clip with same sensitivity as at ^45~100hz where it is around 90v (1000w) maybe an extra -2db~3db on top of filter!? (L-R 24db at 28hz)

the amp was fairly constant maybe even picked up a bit after it dropped and stayed 40v at 26hz.  this wasnt the most scientific of tests, my laptop soundcard and sigjenny/cheap multimeter, may have introduced drops in gain, but pretty sure its mostly the amp, (or maybe inductance) is this a problem of other amps also.. cheaper components maybe? 

back to the horn though,

1/4watt! at 26hz makes the whole building shake, but 40v  at 26hz as stated above was the most the amp could throw at it also with the hpf set. and that was intense! everything started falling off the walls and shelves, and horn started vibrating around the room..(its 110kg at the mo')

strangely the only panel ressonances were from my house walls and some screw holes i made just after the throat whilst glueing the layers together,which i had forgotten to fill, which made the horn whistle, until i worked out where it was coming from i was a bit worried after that with only the two sheets of 4mm ply layerd up so far the panels seem fine.

need to rta it really (see if i can get the mic today).. surely if other amps drop voltage at lower frequencys rta's may not be that much to compare..

hopefully get photos today..

Posted By: mobiele eenheid
Date Posted: 08 June 2005 at 11:48am

Quote People are hearing differences between amps,I dont know how,Havent experienced it myself not enuf amps around

Most obvious difference would be the headroom of the amp. Most cheaper amps are made that way that they begin to distort long before you see the leds indicate clipping. With my own cheaper amps I can hear the distortion at +/- -6dB

Higher quality amps begin to distort much later, sometimes even already after it's clipping. Of course this will affect the sound and thus create a difference.

Wkr

Posted By: rastaman
Date Posted: 20 June 2005 at 10:14pm
Just a bump to say 'Hey, where are the pictures you promised' 

Posted By: Phil B
Date Posted: 21 June 2005 at 7:15am

Please tell me that this ain`t someone in your "terrahorn"?!!!

http://www.imageshack.us">

They`re gonna need that stretcher ......?

.p.

-------------
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans.. http://diyhifi.biz/" rel="nofollow - http://diyhifi.biz/

Date Posted: 21 June 2005 at 9:39pm

Date Posted: 22 June 2005 at 7:25am

Originally posted by phildekked phildekked wrote:

Please tell me that this ain`t someone in your "terrahorn"?!!!

http://www.imageshack.us/">

They`re gonna need that stretcher ......?

.p.

hehe, that photo's great, yer i tried crawling in also at a quiet point and then some jungle bassline came on and scared the sh*t outa me, felt like it blew me back out, becaues of the sound pressure. tom jones spent most of his time in there though gaurding it for us.

i have been away for a bit, and photos are still on gf's mac, i'll see what i can do.

i found out a few days after doing some tests that a niegbour four houses down on the other side of the road was freaking out because his whole house was rattling and rumbling, and he was running around between each room trying to find out what was háppeníng.. so it work quite well

Date Posted: 26 June 2005 at 1:08am

bahaah thats the stuff!!

Even though 140dB of 32hz in your flat isnt that practical,I still crave it its ridiculous. My mind keeps reminding me 'build the jbl 2226 horn'

Posted By: rastaman
Date Posted: 05 July 2005 at 12:41am
Just looking at the curved section picture with the guy lying in it, how many separate plys is that bonded together, from the photo it almost looks like you just bent a piece of 18mm plywood? Is it made up of lots of thinner layers, a la the HD15 and Scoops and so on.?

Posted By: dj-panoramix
Date Posted: 02 March 2010 at 2:56am
what the exact external dimension ?
what are the HR input parameter(approximatively) ? because i can't get nothing that smooth in 2PI with 3,4meter long...

Date Posted: 02 March 2010 at 1:56pm
here's is my best result:
2PI:
0,5PI:
Input:
Excursion with 70V:
as you can see with 70V input the driver is in overexcursion, minaximal can you post your excursion plot for 70V ? 

Date Posted: 02 March 2010 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by dj-panoramix dj-panoramix wrote:

what are the HR input parameter(approximatively) ? because i can't get nothing that smooth in 2PI with 3,4meter long...

wow, 5 year old thread bump!..

do you really want to try and build something as difficult as the terrahorn?
I do pretend to be secretive and proffessional, as i make them for ££.

but anyway,

S1 = 400

S2 = 7400

i'll let you guess at the rest, albeit is just a normal hyperbolic horn, folded (bent) in an elegant way, to minimise in passband standing waves and refraction, due to inconsistent contour changes, hence the curves.

years ago when i started this, many believed a curved contour makes no difference for bass, i still beg to differ, (listen for yourself!) and look at the work of geddes on HOM's and wavefront propogation today, to see the widely accepted views now. (although he doesn't like basshorns)

also interestingly my initial response sweeps show the constructed horn seems to have a longer pathlength than reality, thats partly end correction factor, and the mirror image of the horn mouth on the floor, which would increase the effective mouth area as seen by the driver.

Ps, pd1850 or ciare ndc 18-5

al

-------------
Subs + Barges = :)

http://www.metaacoustics.com" rel="nofollow - www.metaacoustics.com

Date Posted: 02 March 2010 at 1:59pm

nope i don't plan to build any, just for fun and learn how to use hornresp.
how much you sell them ? just to know...

Date Posted: 02 March 2010 at 2:13pm

but anyway,

S1 = 400

S2 = 7400

i'll let you guess at the rest, albeit is just a normal hyperbolic horn, folded (bent) in an elegant way, to minimise in passband standing waves and refraction, due to inconsistent contour changes, hence the curves.

T = ?
i put 0,7 on my simulation, is this good ?

Date Posted: 02 March 2010 at 2:17pm

how much you sell them ? just to know...

price is a need to know basis, cheaper than similar fc  big brands, a fair bit more expensive than square box free plans..Wink

you would be able to guess better at the volumes by looking at my construction, because your sims are a bit off.. took me ages to fine tune everything and then work out how to fold it keeping everything how i wanted it, knowing the real world would have an affect on the results.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 March 2010 at 2:24pm
this is terra horn ?

Posted By: Saul
Date Posted: 28 March 2010 at 2:26pm
dont know, but there's some classic HH boxes in there. 

Date Posted: 28 March 2010 at 2:37pm
i talk about the sub on the left.

HH ?

Posted By: biotec
Date Posted: 28 March 2010 at 10:07pm
yes, they're my 4 terra horns.

on the right are 4 ASS miniscoops with 4 ASS reflex kick bins on top

-------------
me so horny, me love you long throw.

Posted By: Saul
Date Posted: 28 March 2010 at 10:12pm
what are the cabs above the terra's nick?

Posted By: Quantum Sounds
Date Posted: 28 March 2010 at 11:36pm
are they your strait 12" horns nick? there was a thread about them ages ago?

Date Posted: 28 March 2010 at 11:46pm
thats nick's 15" kick cab...

http://forum.speakerplans.com/new-kick-horn-build-pics_topic14565_page1.html?KW=new+kick+horn - http://forum.speakerplans.com/new-kick-horn-build-pics_topic14565_page1.html?KW=new+kick+horn

also i think the pic of the terras was taken in france? when one driver decided to die and rattle.. so only three terra's working properly..

-------------

Posted By: mykey-
Date Posted: 29 March 2010 at 2:50am

here's is my best result:
2PI:
0,5PI:
Input:
Excursion with 70V:
as you can see with 70V input the driver is in overexcursion, minaximal can you post your excursion plot for 70V ? 
chamber would be smaller than 70 litres??Smile

-------------
BbbBBRAAAAPppBBBBbgushhhhhhhhssshhhhhGrAbRAAAAAAPPPPPp = Dubstep

Date Posted: 29 March 2010 at 9:28am

thats nick's 15" kick cab...

http://forum.speakerplans.com/new-kick-horn-build-pics_topic14565_page1.html?KW=new+kick+horn - http://forum.speakerplans.com/new-kick-horn-build-pics_topic14565_page1.html?KW=new+kick+horn

also i think the pic of the terras was taken in france? when one driver decided to die and rattle.. so only three terra's working properly..

that was the year after. They were great the year that photo was taken.

straight 15inch horn with RCF MB15N401. Horn length about 1.15m if I remember right.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 March 2010 at 12:32pm

but anyway,

S1 = 400

S2 = 7400

years ago when i started this, many believed a curved contour makes no difference for bass, i still beg to differ, (listen for yourself!) and look at the work of geddes on HOM's and wavefront propogation today, to see the widely accepted views now. (although he doesn't like basshorns)

also interestingly my initial response sweeps show the constructed horn seems to have a longer pathlength than reality, thats partly end correction factor, and the mirror image of the horn mouth on the floor, which would increase the effective mouth area as seen by the driver.

al
http://img109.imageshack.us/i/1231k.jpg/">
http://img192.imageshack.us/i/12311j.jpg/">

-------------

Date Posted: 29 March 2010 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

mine is grey, your is black:

Date Posted: 29 March 2010 at 1:25pm
and?

-------------

Date Posted: 29 March 2010 at 1:37pm
lol

-------------

Date Posted: 29 March 2010 at 7:02pm

and?
nothing just show the differance from the rear chamber volume...lol
with 40 look a little beat peaky, but the diaphragm displ plot look much better.

Posted By: Ibex
Date Posted: 29 March 2010 at 11:30pm

http://img109.imageshack.us/i/1231k.jpg/">

mykey, your HR input detected that you are about to simulate an NOTE: Exponential horn (T=1.00)
minaximal was talking about a normal hyperbolic horn... I would presume that the flare rate should be T=0.00 Question

Date Posted: 30 March 2010 at 2:28am
mykey, your HR input detected that you are about to simulate an NOTE: Exponential horn (T=1.00)
minaximal was talking about a normal hyperbolic horn... I would presume that the flare rate should be T=0.00 Question

the outcome was so bad I thought I'd make it exponential lol

-------------

Date Posted: 30 March 2010 at 10:05am

LOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: 30 March 2010 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Ibex Ibex wrote:

LOLLOLLOL

a wild stab in the dark, in other wordsLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 05 April 2010 at 10:41am

what the exact external dimension ? what are the HR input parameter(approximatively) ? because i can't get nothing that smooth in 2PI with 3,4meter long...

S1 = 400
S2 = 7400

panoramix, as you can see, there is nothing smooth about the response of the terra horn in 2pi (blue curve) Wink
btw, simulations, except the green one, are all made for a normal hyperbolic horn flare (T=0).
(AJ Horn does not support simulations with flare rates between hyperbolic and exponential)
minaximal's simulations are also made with an offset driver (0.2m).
In the right picture you can see the imaginary path of the horn mouth...
Meta Acoustics - Terra HornMeta Acoustics - Terra Horn   - mirror image horn mouth

Date Posted: 05 April 2010 at 12:41pm
good eyes ibex!

i used AJ and horn resp to model, because at the time HR didn't model offset drivers, and it's less of a reality to excite a bass horn from its axial end, but by checking both ways you get an idea what should happen. the actual quick sweeps i did show it is more like a 3.6m horn (from the offset), but the original data was dumped out of HR into cad as a normal 3.4m hyperbolic because HR had adjustable horn factor Wink.

this is a point where sims don't always show everything..

there is no decent way to fold a horn and keep the correct expansion factor, especially if the changes are 90 degree or more bends, without either having a tiny mouth (terminated at an angle) or instead using end correction and boundary gain in the real world to finish the horn for you, otherwise without taking these affects into account, the horn will be tuned lower than originally intended.

regards

al

-------------

Date Posted: 05 April 2010 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Ibex Ibex wrote:

what the exact external dimension ? what are the HR input parameter(approximatively) ? because i can't get nothing that smooth in 2PI with 3,4meter long...

panoramix, as you can see, there is nothing smooth about the response of the terra horn in 2pi (blue curve) Wink
btw, simulations, except the green one, are all made for a normal hyperbolic horn flare (T=0).
(AJ Horn does not support simulations with flare rates between hyperbolic and exponential)
minaximal's simulations are also made with an offset driver (0.2m).
In the right picture you can see the imaginary path of the horn mouth...
Meta Acoustics - Terra HornMeta Acoustics - Terra Horn   - mirror image horn mouth

but still much more smoother than my sim at that time !
thanks for your info, you get much better eyes than me Wink
the problem with the offset, i can't use it in hornresp, when i go in driver arrengement, the offset is in grey and can't put one, is somebody know why ?

Date Posted: 05 April 2010 at 2:36pm

but still much more smoother than my sim at that time !
thanks for your info, you get much better eyes than me Wink
the problem with the offset, i can't use it in hornresp, when i go in driver arrengement, the offset is in grey and can't put one, is somebody know why ?

well, minaximal's response is still rising with at least 3db/oct, your plots were much flatter within the passband for a stack of 4.
hornresp doesn't support offset driver arrangement in the case of a hyperbolic horn, offset is only possible for exponetial flares...

Date Posted: 05 April 2010 at 3:02pm
ok, i will try to see the differance hyp vs exp(with offset)... ;)

Posted By: Father-Francis
Date Posted: 18 April 2010 at 12:13pm
My name is Francis am here today to join the group to try get a cure for my addiction mmh
am glad to say that not a day passes without me looking at the Terrahorns , yes I admit am an addict
Embarrassed

-------------
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk

Date Posted: 19 April 2010 at 9:44am
it'll be game over soon, it'll just be a matter of deciding whether 16 is too many or not.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 April 2010 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Father-Francis Father-Francis wrote:

My name is Francis am here today to join the group to try get a cure for my addiction mmh
am glad to say that not a day passes without me looking at the Terrahorns , yes I admit am an addict
Embarrassed

Admission of a problem is the first step to ridding yourself of the hole you feel inside! Tongue

-------------

Posted By: burningbush
Date Posted: 19 April 2010 at 12:17pm
The only way to get over is to save up and buy these great works of art.  One day, god willing.

-------------
music is the message

Posted By: Father-Francis
Date Posted: 19 April 2010 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by burningbush burningbush wrote:

The only way to get over is to save up and buy these great works of art.  One day, god willing.

Trust me am working very hard and also trying to sell my kidney LOLLOLLOL

-------------
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk

Posted By: insurgent
Date Posted: 30 January 2013 at 4:54pm
Hi,

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but needed somewhere to ask:

minaximal - are you still in the business of making terrahorns. 

Would love 4 of these beasts, in the not too distant future. Need to know a price for 4, before I decide whether these will break the bank, or be just right!

Thanks.

Posted By: boots-hifi
Date Posted: 30 January 2013 at 5:03pm
Ive got 4 spanking new lab horns up for grabs...will give the terra horns a run for their money!

Date Posted: 30 January 2013 at 5:05pm
Are those the 4 on ebay at the mo? Approve

Posted By: boots-hifi
Date Posted: 30 January 2013 at 5:20pm
Yes on ebay. If youre interested give me a pm.

Date Posted: 30 January 2013 at 6:39pm
best to contact minaximal here:

http://www.metaacoustics.com/contact.html

-------------

Date Posted: 30 January 2013 at 6:47pm
Yep, tried that. No response, hence looking on here.

Date Posted: 31 January 2013 at 9:18am
did you call his mobile? I spoke to him yesterday on the same number.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 January 2013 at 9:26am
No, not tried the mobile yet. I thought that might be a bit forthcoming for the sake of a quote for 'possible order' some time in the future. Don't wanna mess anyone around you see.

You've convinced me though. When I get a break from the office, I'll give him a bell.

Nice one.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net